• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanset

So.

Can anyone explain me how the third place rule works ? The best team on a third place is not out, just like in the euro qualifying?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Tiebreakers

The four best third-placed teams are determined according to the following criteria:[44]

Higher number of points obtained;
Superior goal difference;
Higher number of goals scored;
Fair play conduct;
Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's such a stupid set-up. Either go with 32 or go with 16.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
After some fearmongering, this is nice to see (Croatian and Turkish fans):

https://twitter.com/Floaijan/status/741919679736905729

This is what all should be about.

English (the ones setting the bar on fire couple days ago and fighting with the police) hooligans, Russian organized mobs and French shitty ultras (who attacked the English fans and the NI and Polish fans in Nice) can go to hell. All three federation should be punished. Russia excluded from this Euro (especially if there will be some clashes with Polish and Ukrainian fans), England and France fined and south of France declared no football zone for this Euro. This is a very shitty organisation on French part too. I understand the focus on terrorism, but that doesn't exclude the lack of reaction or the wrong reaction of the French authorities.

England 1-1 Russia

untitled-93duft.gif

England football team in a nutshell, lol. Also i love the title.

oti

Banned
German TV just showed exclusive footage of the Russian fans attacking the English inside the stadium. One of the Russians was also recorded kicking an Englishman lying on the ground hours before the match. And yet he got into the stadium.

Beefy

The guy with the blue sun hat (smacking a chair on a guys head guy) has been filmed attacking about 10 different people.

amanset

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...roceedings-russia-england-marseille-euro-2016

Russia’s sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, has backed Uefa’s decision to take action against the Russian Football Union. “It’s the right thing, there were flares, there was a flare gun, there had been clashes in the stands, it’s necessary to sort all of this out,” said Mutko, speaking to the R-Sport news agency. “We will prepare properly, we will present our position... the fans were rooting greatly, but there are people who do not come for the football.” The former Fifa vice-president, Vyacheslav Koloskov, has said the RFU can expect to receive a “maximum fine” for their supporters behaviour.

So where's that GAFer from last night that was claiming the flare was provocation from the England fans, eh?

Syder

Wait, THIS is how it happened?

Oh my goodness.
From the few games we've seen so far, I've noticed that the better teams haven't been playing narrow enough. England relied to heavily on Sterling doing something last night. France were relying on crosses into the box. I thought Switzerland even when Albania were down to 10 weren't aggressive enough.

Russia go long through the centre and they score.

England aren't strong enough on the flanks to play this way. We need to push Alli, Kane and Vardy through the centre and have Rooney and Stones carrying the ball forward and distributing it to the feet or over the fairly high defensive lines we've seen in this tournament thus far.

So far none of the teams have got my attention. I am hoping Belgium, Italy, Spain and Portugal can up the quality because so far this is quite an embarrassing first few matches into the European Championship.

Peru

So far none of the teams have got my attention. I am hoping Belgium, Italy, Spain and Portugal can up the quality because so far this is quite an embarrassing first few matches into the European Championship.

Well it's not like first matches are usually all that good

England *always* play well, get the lead then go to sleep, choosing to defend the lead. With only 1 goal difference it's incredibly dangerous and usually results in a slip up just like last night.

We have some solid attacking potential and need to push it for the full 90 minutes, regardless of the score line. Go big or go home.

The substitutions were awful, unnecessary and served to set up the negative style of play we had for the last 15 minutes.

There are no positives to take from this match. We should have won the game 3 - 0.

luso

Well it's not like first matches are usually all that good

Plus weaker teams that wouldn't qualify before are now on this 24-team Euro, so expect some more dull games until last 16 at least.

German TV just showed exclusive footage of the Russian fans attacking the English inside the stadium. One of the Russians was also recorded kicking an Englishman lying on the ground hours before the match. And yet he got into the stadium.
I saw that... and it was a very conspicuous guy cunt

My nerves are jangling.

I was 11 when I saw Turkey in WC 02.

17 in Euro 08.

Now I'm 25.

Seeing Turkey in a tournament is a rarity. It's exciting, but also worrying. Will it be another 8 years before we feel this excitement again?

I'll probably be a father by the time we next participate in a tournament.

So I will value it very much and I hope the players understand it and continue the big performances of the previous teams.

I fully believe we can win it.

dakun

I blame the 24 countries setup the most. Countries like Swiss, Slowakia, Croatia, Turkey etc. just do not excite me as much.

i can understand Switzerland or Slowakia not being as exciting. But Turkey and Croatia were entertaining teams to watch in most tournaments they were a part of. And now they have some player that play in the biggest teams in the world (Barca, Real). For me they belong in the Euro even if it was a 16 team tournament. They are among the best underdog teams

Yeah, England especially start badly.

And then continue badly and finish badly.
Did you watch the game? Scoreline did not reflect the quality of the team. England got unlucky and Russia got lucky. I would be worried as either Wales or Slovakia coming forward. I've said previously in this thread that I see Wales winning but after watching Slovakia against Wales, I wouldn't be so sure they can beat England. Wales have the strength, pride and belief to pull it out of the bag though.

As an aside, part of me thinks that people have adopted the English self-deprecatory attitude towards our team as gospel and whether you're English or not, the amount of 'lol England' posts in this thread seem incredibly lazy, especially when much of the discussion has been surrounding Ultras from Marseilles and Russia attacking Brits. I also wonder how many of you are aware that just because you saw on a movie or TV that 'English fans are super rough and violent' it doesn't make it true, hooliganism has long been effectively dead in this country and the English fans causing trouble are drunk fuck-nuts whereas Russian and French Ultras are highly organised and don't respect the 'rules' of hooliganism that English fans are used to, for instance not charging at women and children and not fighting fans who aren't up for it or who aren't in firms.

I am far more concerned about French, Russian, Polish and Ukrainian Ultras than I ever would be about the English. That being said, no country has a monopoly on violence and Italy, the Czech Republic, Turkey and others all have notorious fan bases for certain clubs who could easily show up.

I know that stereotypes are fun to do and maybe you've seen the news and want to jump in and convey your outrage at a thing but it's incredibly unfair and, to be honest, I'm quite surprised to see some jokes about it in this thread when people on holiday to see international football are being terrorised.

Yes. I was making a joke, although with an element of truth when you look at past championships. But still a joke that you seemed to take really seriously.

I'm from England, by the way.
The last bit wasn't mostly aimed at you but the general thread. Posts here aren't context free and an en masse reply would be far too laborious.

amanset

The last bit wasn't mostly aimed at you but the general thread. Posts here aren't context free and an en masse reply would be far too laborious.

I know. But you still seemed to take it way too seriously.

Alexei Sayle did a great intro to one of his shows which was just him pissing himself at a mirror. He then turned to the camera and said "that's the thing about us Brits, we can laugh at ourselves".

I remember Italia 90, I remember Euro 96. I remember Mexico in 86 when we were put out by a cheating fuck. I know we're not always crap, but jokes aren't always based in reality.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
for the most part :p
Slovakia made the 2012 euros tho.

Sure, but:

Czech Republic
Belgium
Spain
Germany
England
Northern Ireland
Austria
Italy
Portugal

were top of group and would have been in the qualifying 16 almost certainly. So 5 of the following would have qualified, and 4 not:

Iceland
Wales
Slovakia
Albania
Poland
Switzerland
Romania
Russia
Croatia

I might be a bit biased, but my guesses are in bold. And they leave out Slovakia. :p

Turkey was always very exciting. In 2002 they won third place in the world cup, in 2008 they lost against Germany in the semi final which was arguably the best game in the tournament.

While England was a bit unlucky, they should've closed the game down, so credit to Russia for capitalizing on it. England has itself to blame for the draw.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ya, it's stupid - a perfect setup to justify 32 teams.

1960 - 4
1980 - 8
1996 - 16
2016 - 24

Money > Quality
By 2060 they will probably invite Australia to get to 64 teams.

I don't even mind 32 knock-out. Most of the big boys will make it through to the round of 16 anyway, and if they don't, well, how amazing would the narrative of e.g. a shock loss by Germany to Liechtenstein in the first round be anyway? There are 55 UEFA associates, just have 11 qualifying pots of 5 teams, top 3 from each pot go through to knock-out rounds of 32.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What's with all the complains? There have been only 4 games played out of which maybe 1 was slightly boring but still quite contested. The number of teams has nothing to do with the quality of the games if we look back at the championship won by Greece.

And in the end nobody forces you to watch Switzerland against Albania for example if that's not your cup of tea, it's not like it hurts you in any way that the game is played.

I know. But you still seemed to take it way too seriously.

Alexei Sayle did a great intro to one of his shows which was just him pissing himself at a mirror. He then turned to the camera and said "that's the thing about us Brits, we can laugh at ourselves".

I remember Italia 90, I remember Euro 96. I remember Mexico in 86 when we were put out by a cheating fuck. I know we're not always crap, but jokes aren't always based in reality.
First, I assure you that I didn't take it seriously, I just must not have conveyed myself properly.
Second, I agree with you about British self-deprecation but I think sometimes we take it too far. It's okay to take the piss and laugh when we fail but when we played a good game it doesn't really make much sense.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What's with all the complains? There have been only 4 games played out of which maybe 1 was slightly boring but still quite contested. The number of teams has nothing to do with the quality of the games if we look back at the championship won by Greece.

And in the end nobody forces you to watch Switzerland against Albania for example if that's not your cup of tea, it's not like it hurts you in any way that the game is played.

Agreed.

Powwa

The irony in this game. Turkey won most of their games last minute, and then germany just does that. I think back then, Turkey was actually the better team.

Yeah, we also didn't have like 4-5 main players due to injuries and card bans. But Germany has always been pretty good, so don't know if anything would have changed.

This year I don't have much hope but they manage to be surprising each time. Even the way we qualified was amazing. Last minute freekick, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom