• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanset

Because we're a) not technically a country and b) never decided on one. Londonderry Air is often suggested.

We don't even have an official flag bar the Union flag.

Maybe someday.

You're in the same situation as Wales and more or less the same situation as Scotland.

And they both do their own thing.

Tuffty

Go on Norn Iron! There's been a real sense of excitement and goodwill during qualifying and in the lead up to the Euro's that has been great at uniting the country. We know we're fortunate to be in the tournament, I think we're pretty realistic about where we can end up, so win, draw or lose, you'll undoubtedly hear the N.Irish fans in full song enjoying the occasion, as I've seen already through videos of the N.Irish fans in Nice today. It'll be tough to qualify, we're in no doubt about it, but we're on a good run of form that I hope we can continue here.

Having said that, I would like Lewandowski to score a goal or two for my fantasy football!

amanset

Hilarious. Cheers buddy.

Come on, I am trying to explain to someone that thought only half of the Republic would be annoyed if they had to use God Save the Queen. Sometimes you have to simplify to get people on the correct track.

(In my defence, I have to do this a lot. I live in Sweden and people here genuinely do not understand the differences between England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland, Great Britain, the United Kingdom and The British Isles. "Scotland, that's part of England, right?")

Oriel

For some reason I am surprised that Northern Ireland is going with "God Save the Queen". Surely that's got to be annoying half the country?

Half of that "country" won't care and will be getting ready to cheer on an actual Irish team tomorrow against Sweden.

Come on, I am trying to explain to someone that thought only half of the Republic would be annoyed if they had to use God Save the Queen. Sometimes you have to simplify to get people on the correct track.

(In my defence, I have to do this a lot. I live in Sweden and people here genuinely do not understand the differences between England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland, Great Britain, the United Kingdom and The British Isles. "Scotland, that's part of England, right?")
I'll back you up here, I got 'corrected' by some English friends by referring to ROI as part of the British Isles. Lots of 'they're not in Great Britain!' and trying to explain how those are different things. Then I added that NIR aren't in Great Britain (because it's named as the largest island in the British Isles) and all shit fell apart. We really should simplify our terms.

626Pxyq.gif

English fans aren't going to turn the other cheek when nutters come at them like that. The whole thing is despicable.

This guy's twitter feed covers some of it: https://twitter.com/_threeofclubs

He even wrote a little blog post about the inaccurate media reporting: “Don’t Believe Everything You Read” – a note on irresponsible press coverage from Marseille

Oriel

Just a bit of harmless fun from a Fenian with a severe whiff of mass about him.

We're a tiny place. We've only a population of 1.8m, and everyone by right can choose to play for the republic. Many do.

Aye but NI can also choose from a pool of 4.5 million in the South, and some have moved northwards on occasion. Personally I think we should do an IRFU and just have one all Ireland team. C'mon splitters you know it makes sense.

JP

Just been catching up on some of the news.

It's terrible that the game is in such a state that I feel that I have to say this but I'm actually quite proud to read of the positivity about the Welsh fans. being thanked by the French, having the Eiffel tower lit up in the Welsh colours in their honour and just going out on the streets and singing.

The win was fantastic but I've enjoyed this stuff just as much.

GettyImages-539486922.jpg

amanset

Aye but NI can also choose from a pool of 4.5 million in the South, and some have moved northwards on occasion. Personally I think we should do an IRFU and just have one all Ireland team. C'mon splitters you know it makes sense.

Yeah, if they can do it in rugby ...

Oriel

Based in Belfast I assume, the FAI is the breakaway association ;)

The "Irish" FA represent NI, a "country" that seceded from the Irish 26, itself represented by the FAI. The current "Republic of" Ireland team is the de facto all Ireland team anyway. ;)

Oriel

Did Ray Houghton really just say Michael O'Neill will be reasonably happy with the current performance of NI? Oh lol.

kharma45

The "Irish" FA represent NI, a "country" that seceded from the Irish 26, itself represented by the FAI. The current "Republic of" Ireland team is the de facto all Ireland team anyway. ;)

FAI propaganda. We're happy to welcome you back and to have a seat on the IFAB.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Guy just couldn't get his foot round the ball. Kind of feels like a goal is coming for Poland though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom