• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of Swedish rail defeating armies - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think the really impressive part is that you guys have, combined, almost as many hours in EU4 as my 100+ friends who play Civ 5.

i2ZXZTblCECPv.png

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The problem is, Valhelm and Crab, that you two were playing two different games and holding each other to different standards. Crab was playing cutthroat MP EU4, Val was playing passive SP-ish EU4, treating you like he would an AI.

There was no real reason for you to beat on Portugal because you already had one hell of a lead from the PU and no immediate threats (Val would'e probably worked with you if Toma ever invaded Iberia, had you honored his territorial boundaries), but you did it anyway because "why not?". While that's a perfectly valid reason, I don't think you should be shocked that it's being looked unfavorably upon by other players. This is pretty much what you'd expect from SP with AI coalitions, so fanboi and toma's war is just a MP analogue of that.

There are diplomatic consequences to bullying obviously weaker countries. It's all in the game.
I think that's how multiplayer should work, by the way. If there is a sense that one player is acting in too cutthroat a manner, then "coalitions" should act as a natural restraint against that (humans are much better at judging this than the AI, since AE is an imperfect proxy for aggressiveness). I think it makes the diplomatic game much more interesting. I've had to think about my diplomatic situation much more so far than all of last game, in which we pretty much avoided conflict due to pre-planned borders and maybe there was some friction once all the AI nations were gone.
I wish we could set up a US game for this. I'm so jealous of this EU fighting.
I would have liked that, but I'm not sure there are enough players available, at least among the people who typically frequent the EU4 and Paradox threads. And at this point, it would be difficult for me to make both games.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I don't think there are enough US players either.

Maybe if there's another game after the NFL season is over I can participate in the weekend games.

ZZMitch

US players can play in this. You just have to have a job that ends pretty early in the day or be a student like me :p

I know Mgo is American too there may be some others from these timezones I dunno.

Eastern timezone is better off than Pacific though (I take you are Pacific timezone from the Seahawks logo in your avatar)

Haly

I'm EST, and unemployed/self-studying so...

Valhelm

contribute something
I think this is a key point and a very good post.

Anyways, Valheim, you will learn from this and return next game with slightly less naivité which can only be good.

Haha, yes. Because I expected full support and protection from Crab I only had a couple thousand men in the traditional borders of Portugal, which quickly proved to be a bad idea.

Kabouter

Btw..,

EU >> US

I think for the EU to be better than the US, the EU would first have to be an actual union, something like 3% of the population living in EU countries want. (Including me, woo!)

Edit: Also, Roboleon and Morfeo are sort of anti-European turncoats, being Norwegian and all. Now a map of just the EU has that ridiculous Finno-Swedish cock and balls on it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Americans only played Call'a Doodey?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think for the EU to be better than the US, the EU would first have to be an actual union, something like 3% of the population living in EU countries want. (Including me, woo!)

Edit: Also, Roboleon and Morfeo are sort of anti-European turncoats, being Norwegian and all. Now a map of just the EU has that ridiculous Finno-Swedish cock and balls on it.

why would we want to share all this with you guys?

Fosen_kvadrat_large.jpg

Geirangerfjord.jpg

Oil-Rig-1.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
My EUIV hours are set to actually be higher than my Dota hours even.

VH40SoU.png

Top three on my account :p

Dota 2 have nothing on EU4 imo, and while Civ is fun, the 5th game is atrocious compared to the glory that was Civ4 (and even moreso Civ2), so it makes sense imo :)

I think that's how multiplayer should work, by the way. If there is a sense that one player is acting in too cutthroat a manner, then "coalitions" should act as a natural restraint against that (humans are much better at judging this than the AI, since AE is an imperfect proxy for aggressiveness). I think it makes the diplomatic game much more interesting. I've had to think about my diplomatic situation much more so far than all of last game, in which we pretty much avoided conflict due to pre-planned borders and maybe there was some friction once all the AI nations were gone.

I definitely agree with this. This makes diplomacy really important, and it makes that balance between expanding without looking too aggressive much harder and more interesting to find.

Morfeo

^ That does nothing for me... maybe the pige but otherwise... no.

Maybe it doesnt do anything for you, but come on, there are literary more swedes in norway than in sweden these days after the mismanagement of your fascist governement, so you compatriots doesnt exactly share your opinion.

And I know you want that pige!

Edit 2: Read this about you swedes yesterday, "A generation of waiters": http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/09/19/...helgekommentaren/lordagskommentaren/35355911/

Kabouter

why would we want to share all this with you guys?

http://www.norskflid.no/fileshare/filarkivroot/Bunad/Sor-Trondelag/Fosenbunad/Fosen_kvadrat/Fosen_kvadrat_large.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CpCldAL2bEA/TYpjDmyd3pI/AAAAAAAAAbg/fpqetTryIPg/s1600/Geirangerfjord.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://curitibainenglish.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Oil-Rig-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Because you get French cock in return?

mkenyon

Banned
US players can play in this. You just have to have a job that ends pretty early in the day or be a student like me :p

I know Mgo is American too there may be some others from these timezones I dunno.

Eastern timezone is better off than Pacific though (I take you are Pacific timezone from the Seahawks logo in your avatar)
Yep, Washington State.
I thought Americans only played Call'a Doodey?
You have no idea how much it hurts me to be so far away from Europe. All of my favorite games are still widely played there. Supraball, Tribes, Warsow, EUIV, and more.
Dota 2 have nothing on EU4 imo, and while Civ is fun, the 5th game is atrocious compared to the glory that was Civ4 (and even moreso Civ2), so it makes sense imo :)
Most of my gaming time is spent in competitive games with my group of pals. Competitive FPS being the primary. I definitely prefer EU over Dota, but gaming time for me is as much about hanging out with my friends as it is playing games.

And Civ IV is overrated. Stacks of doom against AI were absolutely silly.

Haly

What a beautiful shade of gray covering Scandivania and America.

Haly

Bavaria overstepped its bounds and before the session ended, 70% of its provinces were being sieged by France, Venice et al so... not for long!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Bavaria overstepped its bounds and before the session ended, 70% of its provinces were being sieged by France, Venice et al so... not for long!

I did grab Tirol, because Austria was forced to release it as new country after losing to France.

But Haly's IA is messing things up.

What happened was that I decided to grab Ansbach at the end of the session. They were in a coalition with Switzerland, Palatinate, Aachen and some other small countries. But, a few of these were already in a war with my French ally, and when I checked DOW-status, France was ready to join in.

However, either France decided to say "fuck it" or I have accidentally un-ticked them from call to arms, because after I declared I ended up being alone on my side of the conflict. (Still allied to France, so I guess I must have fucked it up myself?)

Hilariousness ensued.

tl;dr: I'm not in a war with neither France nor Venice, don't ever listen to Haly

Kabouter

What it was was that France couldn't join your war because then it would have been at war with the same countries in two wars. You should have waited before grabbing Ansbach :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What it was was that France couldn't join your war because then it would have been at war with the same countries in two wars. You should have waited before grabbing Ansbach :p

POOR GAME DESIGN, 1/10 FRENCH COCKS WOULD NOT PLAY AGAIN

no, but seriously, it's a bit weird that they then would show up with a green tick next to the join prompt ?

Morfeo

And Civ IV is overrated. Stacks of doom against AI were absolutely silly.

Stack of doom is not a great system, but the current so-called "tactical" gameplay in civ5 is much worse against the AI, and also much more exploitable. It also created a ton of other problems which is what made the game so terrible in the first place IMO. But this is a derailing.

Edit: The fucking worst part about Civ5 though were the priorities when making the game. For instance they wanted to get rid of the "spaghetti roads". Why? Well, they have always been useful in wars, and in the older games it was even encouraged because it increased trade. But Jon Schafer thought it "looked terrible" - so they had to create a system to discourage the creating of them. Seriously, this pissed me off, in a strategy game like Civ they let a (subjective) visual design-decision behind changing a perfectly fine gameplay-system. If you read interviews with the designers you will see that these kinds of priorities were all over the creating of the game - and unfortunately it shows :(

Some terrible playing by our bavarian friend I see!

CloudWolf

Brandenburg AAR in shitty Arrested Development gifs:

Finding out all my former vassals declared war on me:

come-on-gob-arrested-development.gif

Having to release more than half of my territory (Teutons and Mecklenburg) in a peace deal:

24938_900.gif

Accidentally white peacing Mecklenburg instead of fully annexing in a reconquest war:

tumblr_lso6d2OLz21r0byljo1_250.gif

Poland vassalizing the Teutons and annexing Mecklenburg:

tumblr_mnz8vrbovw1r673gzo3_250.gif

Verdict: I'm going to die and Poland will be my killer.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I got a shitty peace (lost four provinces, and two vassals), but I'm trying to make the most out of it. Regained Tirol and Lienz and made them a Vassal, and took a province from Wurtemberg

Haly

The Hansa AAR
12/01/1537 - 11/06/1548

Summary: Played the waiting game. Ended the session with a war against Denmark/Sweden that I'm going to easily win.

In other news, mgo finally gained the upper hand over France, which means I'm fucked.

Morfeo

Visited a friend while playing, so didnt really pay that much attention and thus didnt do much, but at least avoided the horrible fate an AI-led Hindustan probably would have fell to.

Kabouter

Conquered Creek and I think...uh...Pequot? Either way, the OPM that had Massachusetts. Gained more provinces via colonization (<3 Haly), now actually make enough money to not go broke from hiring an advisor. It's pretty sweet.

Fitz

Integrated some vassals, Turks got jealous of my glorious lands and without fanboi/a bucket of cold water, attacked. Had to fend them off whilst doing the usual horde bashing, but those peasants got the message. Also having some good fun with Lithuania now as only the Russians know how.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Quiet session, didn't do much. Mostly just sitting around watching Castile integrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom