• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you point straight ahead and use the left d pad the ball will curve to the right, in particular towards the end of its path. Since you normall use it to twist around obstacles you would move the aim left from dead on, then use left d pad to end up at the ideal spot.

is there any 'super side spin' where you do right first, and then left during the swing? Like front/backspin

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
is there any 'super side spin' where you do right first, and then left during the swing? Like front/backspin

Yep which bends it even more. Very helpful for some shots that would be nearly impossible. Also very useful for hitting the green at a different angle than straight on.

purbeast

After playing for like 3 hours yesterday, this game is fun and I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I do have a couple concerns though that I wanted to know if others know the answer to.

1. Anyone know if there is an advanced shot mode? The one from OOB? I am thinking there isn't because they have practice for the 3 click mode in the loading screens. This is really disappointing if they don't have it.

2. Is there anyway to play a round of 9 holes (or 18) online with your friends, where you all just play the same hole at the same time, like they had in all the previous versions? Or is it all just playing individual matches in the open course mode? When I created a room, the only game type option was Stroke, which seems very limited. Not even match play. Then when I looked at game room lists every one of them were only Stroke mode. But I'm wondering if these are things you can unlock as you progress.

3. Are there any online tournaments like in OOB? Like where they started at set times and everyone played at the same time? If not that is very disappointing.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with what I've seen in the online portion of this game. I don't really care about free roaming. It would be cool if it had that stuff but also had all of the other game options of games past. It just feels very limited. I also hate how you cannot press X to skip the ball flight travel when playing online, in a room or open course mode. That just makes the matches take a lot longer.

We also could not figure out how to create a turf war match with just friend who were all in a party last night. We wanted to try that out.

N° 2048

Does this game have a tutorial mode, pretty sure it's never explained the different shots?

Apparently I can hold down and up during a shot?

I need to find tutorial videos...

purbeast

So I watched someone on Twitch the other day play Tomomi, your first opponent. And she was all over the place, hitting it into the rough, chipping into bunkers. Guy on the stream won easily, after 3 holes.

Then I played today and:

z4Gm4yK.jpg

That's not normal for a first opponent? She holed two 20ft+ putts, and some of her approach play was great.

Hopefully the next player's not so consistent!

I only played the first vs character, but I beat her in 3 holes. I got 3 birdies in a row.

Jb

My first time on an online course, as I was about to hit the ball a dude in a bunny suit zoomed past me while doing the Naruto run. This game's neat.

Zemm

the game feels quite grindy so far. I've beat the first two versus characters and I've had to play the same course around 4 times so far, including the daily online leaderboard. I don't mind grinding a bit for clothes and stuff, but to unlock the courses doesn't feel great.

As a veteran HSG player, this starts out way too slow and easy, and yes too grindy. Being able to only play one course for the first few hours is boring. Also, I like the older menus; the open world thing is pointless. I miss the advanced swing.

Will there be online simultaneous tournaments like the last few HSG games?

purbeast

As a veteran HSG player, this starts out way too slow and easy, and yes too grindy. Being able to only play one course for the first few hours is boring. Also, I like the older menus; the open world thing is pointless. I miss the advanced swing.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel, although I haven't hit the grind yet as I played up to the first vs character then was online with buddies. All we were trying to do was play a simultaneous match with just the 3 of us in the party and we couldn't figure it out.

I agree the open world thing is pointless, I liked the old lobbies in OOB where you meet up then start games, or just join tourneys. Although, we did have fun last night just sitting on hole #7 and trying to get hole in ones for like 30 minutes. It also leveled up our clubs quite nicely.

That said, I still think the game is a lot of fun so far. But damn I wish the advanced swing from OOB was in there.

Can someone, anyone, explain how the BB preorder bonus works? I got the email from Best Buy, I type the code in and it pulls up the DLC or whatever but won't install. It says "unable to install until physical disc version is deleted". Did they give me the full PSN version of the game or what? I'm confused!?

I just picked up my pre order from Best Buy. I got the code emailed to me. Is it still messed up and not really the pre order bonus?

Still no Best Buy preorder bonus code..

I'll buy the code off you 😎

It's the full game judging from the BB codes sent to others here

Okay, good, I'm not crazy. BBY did send us a code for the full download. Too bad I had already unsealed my copy before Redeeming the code.

Ah well, guess I'll take the disc to Gamestop and put it towards Knack 2.

Is the Everybody's Golf preorder DLC available for purchase on PSN? Or was it exclusive (for now) items?

Gilzor

Not to detail the thread too much, but how similar are Everybody's Golf and Mario Golf World Tour? I've spent a little time with EG and I'm digging it a lot, so was tempted to get World Tour if it's somewhat similar too, to maybe scratch that portable golf itch EG might give me.

hort22

someone over at hotshotsgolf.com said that graded tourneys weren't in the disc version of OOB but was patched in soon after...hope we get em soon.

also I don't have psn+ but am still able to play the online open course and even talked with a few people...am I missing something about having to subscribe to that to play it online?

Lusal

Neo Member
I don't know if this is a thing, but I would call this sort of beginning grind a "pleasant problem". I can see how it's not for everyone, however.

In a mere 2 sittings I've put in about 13 hours of playtime. I'm still at Rank 3 however because I was oblivious to the 'Serious Mode' option when you play the Challenge Tournaments.

I managed to check out the Daily Challenge and shot a -11 on Eagle City (9 holes). I'm hooked. Goodbye free time!

So I watched someone on Twitch the other day play Tomomi, your first opponent. And she was all over the place, hitting it into the rough, chipping into bunkers. Guy on the stream won easily, after 3 holes.

Then I played today and:

http://i.imgur.com/z4Gm4yK.jpg[/IMG

That's not normal for a first opponent? She holed two 20ft+ putts, and some of her approach play was great.

Hopefully the next player's not so consistent![/QUOTE]

lol that's odd, when i played her she was constantly hitting red on the impacts

RSchmitz

Tomomi is so bad that sometimes she aims wrong, misses and makes a pretty good shot because of it. I lost on the 3rd hole to her because of that.

So I love the leveling up aspect of the game. I'm assuming there's an eventual limit but it'd be awesome if it was ridiculously high and you could level up your 1w to a 500y drive.

Uh oh, I can't stop playing!

Love everything about it, having flights in sp tournaments, the island, ... Game feels alive and it's definitely what the franchise needed. It's my GOTY already.

kdoll08

So I love the leveling up aspect of the game. I'm assuming there's an eventual limit but it'd be awesome if it was ridiculously high and you could level up your 1w to a 500y drive.

I was checking out the offline multiplayer and it the appears the limits are as follows.

Power Level 25
Control Level 15
Backspin Level 15
Backdoor Level 10

My 1W is currently at level 22 and with standard clubs and balls I think it is rated for 270 yards. With a power shot and Big Air clubs my rating goes up to 301 yards before wind or elevation so I have had a few 350 yard drives already but I don't think we will get near 500 yards.

Best I've managed to do on a course is -3

I'm terrible at sinking putts and I'm even worse landing on the green

I'm not a fan of how grindy the gaming is feeling (Only Rank 2) but damn it's so fun and addicting.

So with the club rankings. Does that apply to all clubs? Like, if I've upgraded a 1W to level 3 - if I switch to a new set, I'm guessing those upgrades don't carry over to the new 1W?

Want a new golf game and would love to try this. I do not have PS+ and would rather not buy it just for this. That being said is there a decent offline portion to this game?

I got a response from Best Buy regarding the preorder bonus screwup:

Thank you for reaching out to us on Twitter and for sending us an email about your preorder for Everybody's Golf. I am sorry for any confusion after redeeming what you thought to be the listed DLC for the game, only to find out that it was another digital copy of the game.

It has been confirmed by my support team there was a known issue with some of the preorder bonus codes for this title and they are currently working toward a fix; please know this may take 24 - 48hrs to fix, and I recommend keeping an eye on your email for any updates with your code. Thank you for your patience as we work to remedy this matter. Should I receive any further next steps or new information from my support team I'll be sure to relay that information to you here.

Do you have to unlock the super backspin shot? I do the down then up and get perfect impact but don't get the cool backspin effect.

Man, I wish I realized that the pre-order code for Best Buy was actually the full game before I opened it and installed it. I could have totally returned the game and kept the digital copy.

Griss

I was checking out the offline multiplayer and it the appears the limits are as follows.

Power Level 25
Control Level 15
Backspin Level 15
Backdoor Level 10

My 1W is currently at level 22 and with standard clubs and balls I think it is rated for 270 yards. With a power shot and Big Air clubs my rating goes up to 301 yards before wind or elevation so I have had a few 350 yard drives already but I don't think we will get near 500 yards.

Do you know if these limits apply to all clubs or just the driver?

This is good news if it applies to all clubs, as I thought it was lvl 20 across the board, and it would be a nightmare getting each club to level 20 on control, backspin and backdoor. Power is easy to level up.

I'm level 18 in power on my driver and have hit a couple of 335 yard drives myself, assisted by wind and a downhill slope of course.

Tomomi is so bad that sometimes she aims wrong, misses and makes a pretty good shot because of it. I lost on the 3rd hole to her because of that.

I played against a versus character where they hit it so poorly they ended up right behind a pile of rocks. Their next shot went straight into the rocks and right back where they were. Their next shot? Directly back in the fucking rocks, only this time it bounces off the rocks, skips over onto the green, catches a slope... and into the hole. Par, tying me for the hole.

So yes, in their idiocy they can sometimes do amazing things!

purbeast

Do you have to unlock the super backspin shot? I do the down then up and get perfect impact but don't get the cool backspin effect.

No but there is a lot that factors in to whether you get the super backspin or not, regardless of holding up/down and getting PI.

It depends on the lie of your ball, the club you are using, and where the ball lands along with the angle of the ground it lands on. It also depends on your backspin level for the club you are using.

kdoll08

Do you know if these limits apply to all clubs or just the driver?

This is good news if it applies to all clubs, as I thought it was lvl 20 across the board, and it would be a nightmare getting each club to level 20 on control, backspin and backdoor. Power is easy to level up.

I'm level 18 in power on my driver and have hit a couple of 335 yard drives myself, assisted by wind and a downhill slope of course.

As far as I can tell it applies to all clubs except for the putter,

This is the most confusing game I've played in years. Reminds me of how messy the PS3 one was with 8,000 patches and all kinds of stuff.

I'm just winging it, so I'm going to ask GAF a lot of questions right now:

1. Ok, so if I play single player I do courses and level up and play Vs characters. Alright, this seems fairly straightforward. I assume I unlock new courses as I beat Vs characters? Or is it as I level up?

2. Multiplayer...uh, wtf. So you're dropped into this hub (how many people max can be in a hub? Is there an easy way to join hubs where your friends are?) where you watch other people do stuff and can play individual holes. These have their own ranks? Can you level up stuff just doing single holes in the hub?

3. Then you can play 9 hole which lets you play a course and ranks you compared to everyone else whose done it so far and submitted a score. There is no way to filter your friendslist people on the scores? Because I don't care about non-friendlist hundreds of people getting double birdies every hole. I just care about competing with friends' scores aka gaf scores.

4. You can also play this weird ass Turf War game where two teams do a bunch of holes over and over and get points for each run until the time runs up? It sure seems like it favors speed over quality since whichever team gets more holes in tends to win...

5. There's no way to see what your friendlist people are up to (aka if they're golfing somewhere) and join up on their games without them specifically creating a room for you?

6. Can you unlock courses, items by just running the 9H courses online over and over? Or do you need to play SP?

Ok, now as to the game itself....

7. Why are there no camera angles after you hit the ball! 9/10 times it shows the camera facing YOU and the ball flying at the camera. I want to see where the ball is GOING, not looking back. This is annoying!

8. It's been forever since I play HSG. So when you use P shots to get the extra 10 feet or so, what's the downside? Like it seems like it always makes sense to do your opening shot with the P for maximum distance?

9. Otherwise it seems like the old games (not particularly dumbed down?) but missing the PS3 method of hitting?

1. Yes, you gain exp in the offline single-player tournaments that fill up the bar which then enables you to play a VS match. After doing that for how many ever characters that are required (3, I'm assuming), you go up a rank and unlock certain things like the next course.

2. If you mean the online open courses, yes it appears you can use those to level up your clubs. It's basically like an online lobby. I don't know yet what the max size is for each one. You can challenge other players to a match, but I think you have to create a game room (up to four people). You can invite friends, but I'm not sure how that works yet. Will try it out tonight.

3. I'm surprised you can't filter by friends. Maybe it's in a menu. Will check it out tonight.

4. Yes. You can also warp from hole to hole if you have turf war warp tokens. Which you can buy in the store. :(

5. I think you can choose options and communication to message or invite friends, but that's at the OS level. I don't think there's an in-game feature yet to show what your friends are going in the game. Could be wrong.

6. To unlock courses and items you need to do the offline single-player challenge tournaments (from the tournament desk where Suzuki is). I believe you can level up your clubs online though.

7. In previous games you could switch cameras in the air. Try out some different buttons to see if it's a hidden feature. In the meantime, don't be surprised if it's an unlockable feature. For example, the "next shot" camera (L2 when preparing for your shot) unlocks after you complete the first quiz from the professor.

8. You only get so many power shots. Gotta conserve those until you really need them. Best uses for power shots are a) on a par 5 to get to the green in 2, and b) when you have a long approach--like on a longer or more elevated par 3--and a smaller club will give you more carry to avoid a hazard (enables you club down and still get the same distance).

9. If you're looking for shot types such as advanced, circle, or arrow, they are not in the game. No word yet if they will be added.

After playing for like 3 hours yesterday, this game is fun and I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. I do have a couple concerns though that I wanted to know if others know the answer to.

1. Anyone know if there is an advanced shot mode? The one from OOB? I am thinking there isn't because they have practice for the 3 click mode in the loading screens. This is really disappointing if they don't have it.

2. Is there anyway to play a round of 9 holes (or 18) online with your friends, where you all just play the same hole at the same time, like they had in all the previous versions? Or is it all just playing individual matches in the open course mode? When I created a room, the only game type option was Stroke, which seems very limited. Not even match play. Then when I looked at game room lists every one of them were only Stroke mode. But I'm wondering if these are things you can unlock as you progress.

3. Are there any online tournaments like in OOB? Like where they started at set times and everyone played at the same time? If not that is very disappointing.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with what I've seen in the online portion of this game. I don't really care about free roaming. It would be cool if it had that stuff but also had all of the other game options of games past. It just feels very limited. I also hate how you cannot press X to skip the ball flight travel when playing online, in a room or open course mode. That just makes the matches take a lot longer.

We also could not figure out how to create a turf war match with just friend who were all in a party last night. We wanted to try that out.

1. No other shot types except traditional. Hopefully they add them in an update, but no word on this.

2. Haven't tried it out yet, but wouldn't stroke mode in a game room allow you to all play at the same time?

3. They plan to add the online tournaments where up to 100 people can play at the same time. That's what the thing in between open course and turf war is for. It's just not implemented yet.

As far as I can tell, turf war cannot be played with parties. Disappointing. Hopefully, they see the demand for that.

Why the fuck does this game run with black bars all around on my 4k TV on a PS4 Pro? I have never seen this before except on Switch.

A recent PS4 update likely reset your screen settings for display area. Most games ignore that setting and do their own thing. Some games go by it like this one. Just go to your screen settings and expand your display area.

Codeblew

someone over at hotshotsgolf.com said that graded tourneys weren't in the disc version of OOB but was patched in soon after...hope we get em soon.

also I don't have psn+ but am still able to play the online open course and even talked with a few people...am I missing something about having to subscribe to that to play it online?

One of the loading tips screens says that international events are not ready yet but are coming soon. I assume that is OOB style tournaments.

the game feels quite grindy so far. I've beat the first two versus characters and I've had to play the same course around 4 times so far, including the daily online leaderboard. I don't mind grinding a bit for clothes and stuff, but to unlock the courses doesn't feel great.

They're definitely making you work for those other courses. I don't mind though, I love these games

I got a response from Best Buy regarding the preorder bonus screwup:

So I stand a chance to have a digital code for the game, and the proper DLC code they were supposed to give out?

This game just keeps on giving

krae_man

Then I played today and:

z4Gm4yK.jpg

Hopefully the next player's not so consistent!

That's impossible to gauge without knowing what you shot.

Were you paring all those holes? Did you get some bogeys? Took me 5 holes to beat her 3 up and she only birdied one of the holes we halfed.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Had a random Vs character challenge me out nowhere outside of the typical ranking ones. Pretty cool that theres hidden Vs characters

Felensis

Banned
Just got the game alongside Yakuza Kiwami thanks to GAF and my passion for golf video games :) See you guys online as soon as I get a grip on it!

Top Bottom