• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Meanwhile im over here dying trying to get the homing shot and hole in one trophies in the Vita game... Any tips would be appreciated.

Ostinatto

Rank 6 Advance Quiz.

1- Flyer
2- Pot Bunker
3- Long distance in the air
4- Putters
5- right
6- Dormie
7- Direction
8- run
9- backspin
10- Thomas

The power thing was in the Vita game, wasn't it.

Still doesn't explain a third tap for putts.

You can have infinite power shots while putting now.

Bebpo

Banned
This is the most confusing game I've played in years. Reminds me of how messy the PS3 one was with 8,000 patches and all kinds of stuff.

I'm just winging it, so I'm going to ask GAF a lot of questions right now:

1. Ok, so if I play single player I do courses and level up and play Vs characters. Alright, this seems fairly straightforward. I assume I unlock new courses as I beat Vs characters? Or is it as I level up?

2. Multiplayer...uh, wtf. So you're dropped into this hub (how many people max can be in a hub? Is there an easy way to join hubs where your friends are?) where you watch other people do stuff and can play individual holes. These have their own ranks? Can you level up stuff just doing single holes in the hub?

3. Then you can play 9 hole which lets you play a course and ranks you compared to everyone else whose done it so far and submitted a score. There is no way to filter your friendslist people on the scores? Because I don't care about non-friendlist hundreds of people getting double birdies every hole. I just care about competing with friends' scores aka gaf scores.

4. You can also play this weird ass Turf War game where two teams do a bunch of holes over and over and get points for each run until the time runs up? It sure seems like it favors speed over quality since whichever team gets more holes in tends to win...

5. There's no way to see what your friendlist people are up to (aka if they're golfing somewhere) and join up on their games without them specifically creating a room for you?

6. Can you unlock courses, items by just running the 9H courses online over and over? Or do you need to play SP?

Ok, now as to the game itself....

7. Why are there no camera angles after you hit the ball! 9/10 times it shows the camera facing YOU and the ball flying at the camera. I want to see where the ball is GOING, not looking back. This is annoying!

8. It's been forever since I play HSG. So when you use P shots to get the extra 10 feet or so, what's the downside? Like it seems like it always makes sense to do your opening shot with the P for maximum distance?

9. Otherwise it seems like the old games (not particularly dumbed down?) but missing the PS3 method of hitting?

Arcaenum

Neo Member
Has anyone found the extra Power Shot on the home island after reaching Rank 4? I can't for the life of me find it.

AwShucks

I've played every Hot Shots Golf and while I loved the charm of the characters and finding what works best for you, I accepted the move to the less charming look to clubs and other upgrading methods. Because I've always loved the gameplay of Hot Shots Golf.

Knowing that, is there any reason I should pass on this? Going to Best Buy tomorrow for something else, so picking this up for $32 will be tempting.

screw the "sway" at the beginning of the game on hits. and too many times i ALMOST got a long 17+yard put only for it to fall like inches away from the hole

I've played every Hot Shots Golf and while I loved the charm of the characters and finding what works best for you, I accepted the move to the less charming look to clubs and other upgrading methods. Because I've always loved the gameplay of Hot Shots Golf.

Knowing that, is there any reason I should pass on this? Going to Best Buy tomorrow for something else, so picking this up for $32 will be tempting.

it's fantastic, pick it up.

Meanwhile im over here dying trying to get the homing shot and hole in one trophies in the Vita game... Any tips would be appreciated.

Ditto. What's the trick to nailing a homing shot? I just beat the dude in the green outfit who gives you the golf cart, but I'm still not getting it.

Get'sMad

as much as I'm digging having a new damn Hot Shots and want to keep digging into it.....playing this for close to 4 hours tonight and still only being able to access one course kinda stinks. am I like, doing something wrong? I've literally came in 1st every single tourney and its still all Eagle City.....

as much as I'm digging having a new damn Hot Shots and want to keep digging into it.....playing this for close to 4 hours tonight and still only being able to access one course kinda stinks. am I like, doing something wrong? I've literally came in 1st every single tourney and its still all Eagle City.....

You gotta rank up before you get access to other courses. I.e., keep playing 🙃.

Griss

Started at 7.30pm. Did not take so much as a drinks break until 1.30am. Six straight unblinking hours of golf. Had my first hole in one on my second round which was awesome. Used my beta skills to shoot -12 for the 2nd nine at Eagle City and place high in the rankings for that course, too. Had a -19 score for the entire course, not bad given my crappy clubs.

Absolutely loving it so far, but the flaws are really apparent - it's not the near-flawless game that Everybody's Golf 6 was, not even close.

Issues:
-The amount of time it takes to unlock the second course is ludicrous;
-The VS characters are so bland as to be nothing more than another tournament type. In the past, these were characters you were excited to play against because you knew they'd have their own animations, personality, and most importantly play style when you unlocked them. Here it's just nonsense flavour text you'll click through quickly;
-Levelling up clubs is tedious, especially from levels 10-20. Also, making it so that everyone can get every club to level 20 means that there's no interesting choices to make like there was when selecting a character in other EG games;
-Some of the UI and presentation is really bad. Like, when you're talking to a VS character - the text bubbles, voice snippets etc - it's all really, really low budget and charmless stuff;
-Stupid DLC and microtransactions. There appear to be golf cart colours for sale for real money in the shop, better golf balls cost real money (BS) and turf war warp medallions cost real money. Those last two things are essentially pay-to-win features, and are gross.
-The visuals are really spotty. The first course looks gorgeous to me, especially in 4k, but the second course does not show the engine off well. The trees feel flat and lifeless and dithering is everywhere. Also, different times of day and overcast weather all show that the lighting system isn't great at all - only bright daylight is really convincing. When you take character designs and animation into account as well then I think there's an argument that EG6 on PS3 was actually a more attractive game.
-Green Country Club is kind of an uninspiring DLC course. I know they're being faithful to the original but it's just... eh. And the music for it is appalling, which is a damn shame. The music for the first two courses is fantastic, as usual for these games.

Griss

How do you even unlock the second 9 holes for the first course?

-Go to the tournament desk in front of the shop and talk to the guy manning it
-Press square to enter 'serious mode' to reduce the time this will take
-Enter a single player tournament (if you're looking at a choice of two tournaments then you're in the right place)
-Win and fill up the experience bar with exp from winning
-When it fills you play a VS character that you must beat
-Do this three times (as in fill the exp bar then beat the VS character x3) and then you'll rank up and unlock a new course - initially the 2nd 9 for Eagle City, then all 18 holes of Alpina Forest for rank 3 and so on.

Bebpo

Banned
-Go to the tournament desk in front of the shop and talk to the guy manning it
-Press square to enter 'serious mode' to reduce the time this will take
-Enter a single player tournament (if you're looking at a choice of two tournaments then you're in the right place)
-Win and fill up the experience bar with exp from winning
-When it fills you play a VS character that you must beat
-Do this three times (as in fill the exp bar then beat the VS character x3) and then you'll rank up and unlock a new course - initially the 2nd 9 for Eagle City, then all 18 holes of Alpina Forest for rank 3 and so on.

Well, at least from the second course on you unlock all 18 holes. If you had to play each 9 hole course nine times+ to unlock the next one...that'd be quite a grind (it's already a grind, but I guess I can live with it).

Kinda dumb that there's no way to unlock the courses from playing multiplayer.

I really suck at this game, I think, but it's so relaxing. :)

Question: When you totally miss a shot (by not pressing the button a second time), it's normal for the entire screen to turn white, right? I can only replicate that when I miss a shot. Never happens otherwise, I don't think.

Ostinatto

I really suck at this game, I think, but it's so relaxing. :)

Question: When you totally miss a shot (by not pressing the button a second time), it's normal for the entire screen to turn white, right? I can only replicate that when I miss a shot. Never happens otherwise, I don't think.

If you miss the second X, you can press circle quickly to cancel the shot.

RiverKwai

My first Hole in One!
21125430_10154938209747776_8292635213034533627_o.jpg

Hangin with Shu!

Is hdr worth enabling honestly I can't tell the difference except that it washes out the overall picture and blacks turn dark grey. (Lg oled).

Willenium

I still have Hot Shots 2 and Open Tee 2.

Also, I don't have a PS+ account, so I assume I can't do any of the online stuff. Is this game worth the price of admission strictly for singleplayer?

newsguy

Umm, turf war is amazing. I can't sleep right now. I'm running like a madman trying to score eagles. What a fun mode!

eXistor

Alright, this is exactly the golf game I wanted it to be. Great fun. My only gripes would be the graphics. I'd like them to be a bit more cartoony, this half-realistic, half cartoony look does it no favors and I fully expected the game to be 60fps, but it's 30. At least the actual shot-mechanic is 60 frames, so in the end it doesn't matter I suppose.

Minor stuff overall though, I love it. I love how lively it feels, the music not only fits perfectly, but is actually quite good too. I haven't even unlocked fishing (!) or golf cart riding yet so there's lots more to discover it seems.

Dredd97

got to admit the HDR implementation in this game is very subtle, but it makes it a better looking game, although I'm pretty sure it's added input lag on my LG display :(

newsguy

Turf war kept giving me lucky points and n top of having a good match. I ended up with 18 points and the closest player had 7. Feelsgoodman. Also, when I turned on 4K and HDR my PS4 fan went into nuke mode.

got to admit the HDR implementation in this game is very subtle, but it makes it a better looking game, although I'm pretty sure it's added input lag on my LG display :(

I had terrible lag until I switched the oled to game and then fiddled with the settings but can't see why hdr vs non hdr would change lag.

When you use de-judder it turns super smooth when rotating camera, but at the expense of adding artifacts. I changed to 60fps instead of 4k to get most of the de Juddering but still some elements judder pretty badly, for instance the things that float over people's heads in yout "home" area.

I have no idea what to do with black level low/high, or the 3 color gamut settings on the tv.

So I watched someone on Twitch the other day play Tomomi, your first opponent. And she was all over the place, hitting it into the rough, chipping into bunkers. Guy on the stream won easily, after 3 holes.

Then I played today and:

z4Gm4yK.jpg

That's not normal for a first opponent? She holed two 20ft+ putts, and some of her approach play was great.

Hopefully the next player's not so consistent!

So I watched someone on Twitch the other day play Tomomi, your first opponent. And she was all over the place, hitting it into the rough, chipping into bunkers. Guy on the stream won easily, after 3 holes.

Then I played today and:

z4Gm4yK.jpg

That's not normal for a first opponent? She holed two 20ft+ putts, and some of her approach play was great.

Honestly the first VS one took almost the whole round to beat while the next 4 or 5 I did in under 5 holes!

moozoom

I'm having a hard time in rank 4 and I have some questions about Sidespin :

When I want my ball to curve to avoid a tree, I take aim to the left or right of the tree and then I push X to have the marker start - then I have to push one direction (left or right) while making the next two X button presses.

• If I want my ball to curve LEFT, do I have to press LEFT on the D-pad or RIGHT ?
    (Right would be logical to me but with wind and missed perfect impacts sometimes it's hard to read)
  • Do I need to hit a perfect impact to have the ball curve or does it also work if I hit the pink zone ?

Also, the verticality of certain courses makes really hard to judge the necessary power (2nd and 3rd courses). I understand that I need more power if I aim at something higher than me, and less power if the goal is lower - but is there a tip that good players use to calculate the amount ?

I'm almost always short on elevated holes and it usually ends in Out of Bounds despite the strong wind being supposed to help carry the ball farther. Beach course is pretty, but it's one big water hazard !

Thanks for the help !

The power thing was in the Vita game, wasn't it.

Still doesn't explain a third tap for putts.

The one thing I've found with 3 tapping for putts is that you can adjust the power as with normal shots when setting the impact (using triangle and circle). You couldn't do that for putting in previous games as you only set the power.

Could mean the difference between being agonisingly short and a birdie.

I'm having a hard time in rank 4 and I have some questions about Sidespin :
!
If you point straight ahead and use the left d pad the ball will curve to the right, in particular towards the end of its path. Since you normall use it to twist around obstacles you would move the aim left from dead on, then use left d pad to end up at the ideal spot.

Get'sMad

i think i've got this side and back spin shit on lock again after having a break through of remembering how OoB worked.....

hit me up at soo_green if ya'll wanna play my garbage ass.....

:D

moozoom

If you point straight ahead and use the left d pad the ball will curve to the right, in particular towards the end of its path. Since you normall use it to twist around obstacles you would move the aim left from dead on, then use left d pad to end up at the ideal spot.

Thanks, I was doing it correctly then ! But between the wind, the not so perfect impacts and the difficult courses - I had many shots going wildly off track, and I wasn't sure why.

I have to work on it then.

Then I played today and:

z4Gm4yK.jpg

What? I beat her in 3 holes, she was always in the rough lol.

Top Bottom