• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

moozoom

Yeah I'm feeling the same way now after a few hours in.. Still on one course, after beating several versus characters.

Several ?

You have to beat 3 "boss" characters to rank up - so If you didn't get to the next rank or unlock a new course you must have just beaten 2. The silhouettes are in the top right of the screen in the home plaza.

For them to appear, you must gain some Xp on the courses, but putting on "serious mode" greatly speeds up the process - of course you have to place first or at least in 3 first places to have good Xp and cash rewards.

After the slow beginning, each rank will unlock a full new course, and the difficulty will ramp up greatly, the experience on the first course will be invaluable later.

Zemm

The grind for courses is dumb, they should be unlocked in Solo Stroke Play at a minimum. I've unlocked two courses and both of them are beginner and very simple/bland, I just want to try out some of the more interesting courses. I don't remember it being like this in the previous games.

AwShucks

Reading about the unlocking of courses has me playing the Vita game rather than buying this. I don't want to be playing the same course for four hours.

Rbk_3

HDR is pretty good.

It's crazy, I don't really notice though until I turn off and everything looks so bland.

Heel

Another tip for finding coins, items, etc. in Open Course mode:

When you first arrive in Open Course, on the top status bar there will be an area that says "Items" with "???" below it. There will be one particular hole on the course that will have items to find all around its tee box, in the rough down the fairway, around the green, etc.

Once you find the particular hole and pick up an item, the status bar will say "(red flag with hole number on it) Found" under "Items". This does not signify how many items you've found, but rather which hole on the course to search for items. This is the only hole on the course that will have items to find until it resets.

Again, search the entire area around that particular hole from tee box to green. You can find coins, gems, warp medals, clothing accessories (present boxes), and golf balls.

If you're playing with friends, items will always be spawned in the same locations, so you can search together and call them out. You can each pick up the same spawned item.

anddo0

Several ?

You have to beat 3 "boss" characters to rank up - so If you didn't get to the next rank or unlock a new course you must have just beaten 2. The silhouettes are in the top right of the screen in the home plaza.

For them to appear, you must gain some Xp on the courses, but putting on "serious mode" greatly speeds up the process - of course you have to place first or at least in 3 first places to have good Xp and cash rewards.

After the slow beginning, each rank will unlock a full new course, and the difficulty will ramp up greatly, the experience on the first course will be invaluable later.

Okay, thanks.

I beat two versus characters. I unlocked the third but haven't gotten around to playing that match. I guess I spoke too quickly.

I think they should patch the speed of progression for offline tournaments. I love the game but I'm getting pretty tired of Eagle City. Even now that I've unlocked the Alps course there's still a 50/50 chance I'm going back to Eagle City.

purbeast

Does the 60fps make a big difference in this game for those of you who have a PS4 Pro?

I'm curious because I'm wondering if it's worth trading in my launch PS4 to GS and just upgrading to the Pro, but this is probably the only game in the near future I'd really play that would take any advantage of the extra power.

And I don't have a 4K or HDR display either so I won't take advantage of that.

bluehat9

Is there supposed to be deviation in shots when you get perfect impact? Just started playing, come to a par 3 with wind blowing left, perfect impact and the ball goes dead right? Is it because of whatever this club leveling is now?

I played against a versus character where they hit it so poorly they ended up right behind a pile of rocks. Their next shot went straight into the rocks and right back where they were. Their next shot? Directly back in the fucking rocks, only this time it bounces off the rocks, skips over onto the green, catches a slope... and into the hole. Par, tying me for the hole.

So yes, in their idiocy they can sometimes do amazing things!

Were you streaming on Twitch last night? Wearing a red hat and a black shirt? Do you have a long beard? If so, I was watching you for a few hours and I saw that shot!

Is there a prize for these? I finished #1 in my bracket yesterday but as far as I can tell that didn't do anything.

When you're on a course, sometimes "lucky chance" will appear. If you finish a 9 hole round while that is showing, you'll get a random prize and coins at the end.

Why the fuck does this game run with black bars all around on my 4k TV on a PS4 Pro? I have never seen this before except on Switch.

Set "display area" on your ps4. You haven't set it. And you need your TV on the right setting.

Nyx

Just had my first eagle, it was the winning shot in the first rival match of the game.

Yep, this is fun as hell!

kdoll08

Another tip for finding coins, items, etc. in Open Course mode:

When you first arrive in Open Course, on the top status bar there will be an area that says "Items" with "???" below it. There will be one particular hole on the course that will have items to find all around its tee box, in the rough down the fairway, around the green, etc.

Once you find the particular hole and pick up an item, the status bar will say "(red flag with hole number on it) Found" under "Items". This does not signify how many items you've found, but rather which hole on the course to search for items. This is the only hole on the course that will have items to find until it resets.

Again, search the entire area around that particular hole from tee box to green. You can find coins, gems, warp medals, clothing accessories (present boxes), and golf balls.

If you're playing with friends, items will always be spawned in the same locations, so you can search together and call them out. You can each pick up the same spawned item.

Yup this works great with friends. We had 4 people searching all over last night. Once you have found every item on that hole the ???? next to the hole flag will switch to "ALL" to let you know there is nothing left to find. You can do this for every 9 hole section of courses you have unlocked.

Yup this works great with friends. We had 4 people searching all over last night. Once you have found every item on that hole the ???? next to the hole flag will switch to "ALL" to let you know there is nothing left to find. You can do this for every 9 hole section of courses you have unlocked.

oh wow, did not know that

awesome!

Does the 60fps make a big difference in this game for those of you who have a PS4 Pro?

I'm curious because I'm wondering if it's worth trading in my launch PS4 to GS and just upgrading to the Pro, but this is probably the only game in the near future I'd really play that would take any advantage of the extra power.

It isn't a locked 60 in Everybody's Golf, at least not yet. I personally don't feel it is much of an upgrade; like another poster I would rather have downsampled locked 30. Maybe they'll continue to optimize the framerate (and get rid of the damned jittering dialog bubbles). IMO the biggest benefit to the Pro is with the PSVR, though of course games like Horizon and TLOU use it well also (and better than this game).

Hah, buying a Pro largely for Everybody's Golf is tough sell. In most circumstances, I'd definitely recommend trading in the OG PS4 towards a Pro, even with just a 1080p tv. Some quality of life things like fans less loud, extra HD space, future proofing and game improvements made it well worth it to me back when I had a 1080p tv (upgraded to a 4k tv 5 months in to having the Pro). If you have a 4k tv, there'd be no question.

But upgrading to a Pro largely just to play Everybody's Golf? That's tough. I do prefer playing it on 60fps mode over 4k, but this isn't really a showcase game for the Pro, in my opinion. There's plenty of past/future games that will take more advantage of the Pro, and if you see some of those that interest you, I'd feel good about jumping in if I were you.

Footos22

The 60fps in his game feels weird. Better off playing in 4k as the shot bar is 60fps anyway and that's all that matters

M.W.

The 60fps in his game feels weird. Better off playing in 4k as the shot bar is 60fps anyway and that's all that matters

I was wondering about the shot bar after watching some PS4 (OG) streams last night, it seemed like it was 60fps. Good to know.

Heel

Nice, didn't know about "ALL". Thanks for the tip.

Triz

I can't for the life of me find the item in my home area for rank 3. I found it at rank 2 but Ive combed the whole island and nothing. With a message taunting me about it every 5 minutes.

When can you fish?

Square2015

How has the series historically sold outside of Japan? I wouldn't expect it to suddenly change, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if it sold well.

NPD data:
HSG - 237,000
HSG2 - 159,000
HSG3 - 816,000 (up to 1/2007)
HSG4 - 390,000 (up to 1/2007)

^most of these sales came at $20 unfortunately. HSG3 sold the most at full price ($40) selling 297,000 before being discounted as a Greatest Hit.

wapplew

I can't for the life of me find the item in my home area for rank 3. I found it at rank 2 but Ive combed the whole island and nothing. With a message taunting me about it every 5 minutes.

When can you fish?

Rank 4 after second VS.

Pro 1080 user here.

Not a die-hard 60fps person, but I switched it over, just to see how it was and it's really bad. Unlocked or not I just couldn't take it when the option is there.

The text bubbles are wonky in 60fps mode, but during gameplay it's barely noticeable, or I got used to it. Lesser of two evils for sure in my opinion.

njs15

Just unlocked Kanaloa Beach, it's a great change of pace from the first two courses.

Playing rounds at sunset is gorgeous.

I do wish that the game generated challenge tournaments on DLC courses (or perhaps it does and it's gated by progress)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is there any point in running around the course before you tee off while you're playing a round?

cakely

Played this a little last night at a friends. I liked it! It has a ton of potential, especially with the character generator, which looks very flexible.

One thing I noticed: We were playing on a Pro. It defaults to 60fps, which looks great, but I think the character animations are all at 30fps. Not a deal-breaker, it just seemed a little weird.

The PC version of HALO:CE had the same "issue".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did anyone else have an error with their Bear costume code for participating in the beta? It keeps telling me it was used.

One thing I noticed: We were playing on a Pro. It defaults to 60fps, which looks great, but I think the character animations are all at 30fps. Not a deal-breaker, it just seemed a little weird.

Yep. Noticed this too, but it's not buggy looking like the text bubbles.

Ostinatto

21199492_10159239733395402_8890493140836440043_o.jpg

Finally.

Top Bottom