• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Weird, I wonder if the online tourneys were always slated to come later or if this got rushed out the door for some reason.

Only played two championships so far (just made it to Tomomi), but as a relative HSG beginner who's only played the Vita game before this, I'm liking the difficulty curve so far. Definitely can't hit perfect impacts reliably and maybe about half the time end up in the red, but love that you can practice in the tips screen. Hopefully the grind of doing the same course over and over until new ones unlock won't be so bad, though; the Vita game was much better at early-game variety, I feel.

Samus4145

Just got $5 back from Amazon, and with the price error for Prime Day, I ended up paying $5 for the game. I guess I'll buy the DLC course that's up.

No but there is a lot that factors in to whether you get the super backspin or not, regardless of holding up/down and getting PI.

It depends on the lie of your ball, the club you are using, and where the ball lands along with the angle of the ground it lands on. It also depends on your backspin level for the club you are using.

well snap. thanks for that

If anyone is having problems with the last VS character in Rank 1, just remember to play it safe and lay up if you need to. The auto impact is random and as far as I could tell, you can't add spin to shots with auto impact.

I beat the character in three holes, but didn't try to go for too much (she even hit the water in the third hole). Remember that smaller clubs have larger, more forgiving impact zones.

No but there is a lot that factors in to whether you get the super backspin or not, regardless of holding up/down and getting PI.

It depends on the lie of your ball, the club you are using, and where the ball lands along with the angle of the ground it lands on. It also depends on your backspin level for the club you are using.

well snap. thanks for that

If you do super backspin with PI, you'll still get a higher shot with more carry than with regular backspin, but purbeast is correct that the ball may not actually spin backwards when it lands due to a variety of factors.

Super spins do not need to be unlocked, but it looks like homing shots (as well as rising and spiral shots) may need to be unlocked. Haven't seen anyone hit a pin with super spin and get those yet.

Jb

Hopefully the grind of doing the same course over and over until new ones unlock won't be so bad, though; the Vita game was much better at early-game variety, I feel.

Speaking of which, where can I see how much XP I need to unlock the next course?

I don't think there's a specific tracking mechanism for unlocking courses. However, it appears you unlock courses every rank.

So you can use the bar at the top of the screen to see how much more xp you need. When you are ready to enter a single-player challenge tournament, the end of the bar will flash. I think it's showing you how much xp you could potentially win in relation to the rank gauge. You can test this by switching between serious and not-so-serious mode.

One of the tips when you win said that extra xp are saved (for unlocking the next VS character), so don't worry about min-maxing the bars. Just get as much xp as you can by using serious mode.

Just remember that the bar is how much xp you need to unlock the next VS character, not complete the rank. For example, you'll need to fill that bar three times and defeat all three VS characters to complete rank 1 and unlock holes 9-18 for the first course.

Codeblew

Had a random Vs character challenge me out nowhere outside of the typical ranking ones. Pretty cool that theres hidden Vs characters

I think there are 9 total based on the encyclopedia (I think that is what it is called). I have my 4th one waiting to do when I get home. So far I have unlocked them for getting a certain amount of birdies and eagles in official games.

Heel

So many things are left up to the player to figure out in this game, haha.

Everybody's Golf, truly the Dark Souls of golf games.

Jb

I don't think there's a specific tracking mechanism for unlocking courses. However, it appears you unlock courses every rank.

So you can use the bar at the top of the screen to see how much more xp you need. When you are ready to enter a single-player challenge tournament, the end of the bar will flash. I think it's showing you how much xp you could potentially win in relation to the rank gauge. You can test this by switching between serious and not-so-serious mode.

One of the tips when you win said that extra xp are saved (for unlocking the next VS character), so don't worry about min-maxing the bars. Just get as much xp as you can by using serious mode.

Just remember that the bar is how much xp you need to unlock the next VS character, not complete the rank. For example, you'll need to fill that bar three times and defeat all three VS characters to complete rank 1 and unlock holes 9-18 for the first course.

Ok, thanks a bunch. Basically just replay the first course and fight the VS characters until I increase my rank. I don't remember the Vita game being this grindy but it's been a while.

I just realized that I haven't bothered to look at the digital manual. Is there a digital manual?

Alright, guys. Be honest. Who's actually bothered to read the manual whether digital or in print?

If so, any nice little nuggets in there?

Not that I think there are, but can anyone confirm if there is a way to switch the in-game voices to another language? I know that you can change the tone of your character voice, but I wondered if say, Japanese or Korean might be unlockable in the EU version. Bit of a long shot (arf) but if anyone who has made a lot of progress can confirm, that would be great.

F34R

So, pre-ordered from Amazon. $39.99... just received an email from AMZ refunding me $9.67. Nice.

Greetings from Amazon.com.

You saved $9.67 with Amazon.com's Pre-order Price Guarantee! The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Everybody's Golf - PlayStation 4
Price on order date: $39.99
Price charged at shipping: $30.32
Lowest price before release date: $30.32
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: $9.67

$9.67 is your total savings under our Pre-order Price Guarantee.

Tomomi actually gave me a challenge it took all 9 holes to beat her. The kid from Brazil afterwards was a cakewalk though, I beat him in 3 holes.

I just realized that I haven't bothered to look at the digital manual. Is there a digital manual?

Alright, guys. Be honest. Who's actually bothered to read the manual whether digital or in print?

If so, any nice little nuggets in there?

I haven't looked at a manual since the late PS1 early PS2 days lol.

hawk2025

I don't quite understand the leveling up of skills.

It seems like I get Power XP fairly consistently, but Control, Backspin, and Backdoor I don't get.

What am I missing? What is backdoor?

Best I can figure is that you get Control XP for chip-ins or very good approaches. Any other way?

Heel

Spin mechanic explained by PushSquare:

Take advantage of spin

One of the most important skills for advanced Everybody's Golf players is spin. This allows you to better shape your shot in order to get closer to the pin – or simply steer clear of hazards. Here's how you do it:

How do you add spin to your shots in Everybody's Golf?
Backspin: tap down on the d-pad at the point of impact (third click) to get backspin. This raises the arc of the shot, meaning that it's less susceptible to rolling when hitting the turf. As such, it's good for approach play – but be warned that pitch shots stay in the air for longer and thus are more likely to be influenced by wind.

Topspin: tap up on the d-pad at the point of impact (third click) to get topspin. This flattens the shot, meaning that the ball's trajectory is lower, and the carry is longer when the ball hits the ground. Topspin is good for getting a little extra distance on your drives or cutting through strong wind, but it can be wild and it's easy to lose control of the ball.
Sidespin: tap left or right on the d-pad at the point of impact (third click) to get sidespin. If you want the ball to hook to the left, then you're going to need to press right and vice versa. Side spin is great for tracing the natural curve of a hole – or in more desperate situations it can be used to avoid obstacles such as trees.

How do you perform Super Backspin in Everybody's Golf?
To get Super Backspin in Everybody's Golf, you need to tap up on the d-pad when you set the power (second click) and then tap down on the d-pad when you set the impact (third click). You need to get perfect impact otherwise Super Backspin won't work. Hit the pin while successfully executing Super Backspin and you'll perform a Homing Shot.

How do you perform Super Topspin in Everybody's Golf?
Super Topspin is, essentially, the opposite to Super Backspin: tap down on the d-pad when you set the power (second click) and then tap up on the d-pad when you set the impact (third click). Again, you'll need perfect impact otherwise you'll just end up with a standard Topspin shot. If you hit the pin with a successful Super Topspin shot, you'll perform a Rising Shot.

How do you perform a Super Spin in Everybody's Golf?
Want lots of crazy swerve on your shot? Simple. To perform Super Spin, you need to tap left or right on the d-pad when you set the power (second click) and then tap the opposite direction when you set the impact (third click). As you've probably guessed now, you'll need perfect impact otherwise you won't get Super Spin. Hit the pin with one of these shots, and you'll perform a Spiral Shot.

I just hold the necessary d-pad buttons as the gauge is moving and continue to hold as I press X, instead of trying to tap both the d-pad and X at the same time. Keeps it a little simpler to only need to time one button press.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I've been playing for a while, haven't lost a game and I only have one course to play on over and over again?

Wtf?

kdoll08

It seems like I get Power XP fairly consistently, but Control, Backspin, and Backdoor I don't get.

Best I can figure is that you get Control XP for chip-ins or very good approaches. Any other way?

You will only get control and backspin boosts when you actually land on the green so that is why you are seeing power go up more often. The backdoor rating will only go up when you chip in or are putting.

surrogate

You will only get control and backspin boosts when you actually land on the green so that is why you are seeing power go up more often. The backdoor rating will only go up when you chip in or are putting.

Are the club level stats tied to each set of clubs or are they global? If I max out the stats on my Standard 1W, does it apply to the Big Air, Turbospin, ect?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Par 3 holes on this game are a bitch for me

Control levels up from 60y out if you get close to the pin (near the farthest ring and closer)

Back spin levels up when you apply Back spin to slow down the ball on the green. I don't get it consistently though.

Backdoor levels up from chip ins or putting from a far distance.

anddo0

As a veteran HSG player, this starts out way too slow and easy, and yes too grindy. Being able to only play one course for the first few hours is boring. Also, I like the older menus; the open world thing is pointless. I miss the advanced swing.

Will there be online simultaneous tournaments like the last few HSG games?

Yeah I'm feeling the same way now after a few hours in.. Still on one course, after beating several versus characters. Yet no progression :|

I hope things pick up soon. I wasn't expecting this. The game is fun, this style of grind is not cool at all.

Makki

Another one to add to the list of Best Buy preorder code for the full game instead of the bonus items screwup. I'm gonna keep the game sealed until they fix the issue in case I get to keep the digital copy I was given.

This is bs.

The game moving you off the beginner course when you rank up is BS?

Maybe I'm not far enough but I've had to play like 4 or 5 courses of 9 holes, with varying conditions, to unlock the final challenger to Rank up. Not too bad. Maybe it gets worse later on?

mike6467

Forced auto impact is bullshit. It shanked 4 of my tee shots into near unplayable conditions and once into the water. I beat that character but that was infuriating.

Forced auto impact is bullshit. It shanked 4 of my tee shots into near unplayable conditions and once into the water. I beat that character but that was infuriating.

It's not forced. I didn't let it auto impact one time. You can stop it manually.

So what is there to do online right now? I can't find any tournaments, all online lobbies are empty, turf war is usually 3v3 and there are no rewards for playing it...

mike6467

It's not forced. I didn't let it auto impact one time. You can stop it manually.

So what is there to do online right now? I can't find any tournaments, all online lobbies are empty, turf war is usually 3v3 and there are no rewards for playing it...

How did you do this? I was trying to hit it myself but more often then not it was stopping in the red well before the impact spot so I didn't get a chance to hit it.

neilyadig

This is the most confusing game I've played in years. Reminds me of how messy the PS3 one was with 8,000 patches and all kinds of stuff.

I'm just winging it, so I'm going to ask GAF a lot of questions right now:

2. Multiplayer...uh, wtf. So you're dropped into this hub (how many people max can be in a hub? Is there an easy way to join hubs where your friends are?) where you watch other people do stuff and can play individual holes. These have their own ranks? Can you level up stuff just doing single holes in the hub?

3. Then you can play 9 hole which lets you play a course and ranks you compared to everyone else whose done it so far and submitted a score. There is no way to filter your friendslist people on the scores? Because I don't care about non-friendlist hundreds of people getting double birdies every hole. I just care about competing with friends' scores aka gaf scores.

5. There's no way to see what your friendlist people are up to (aka if they're golfing somewhere) and join up on their games without them specifically creating a room for you?

I'll answer some of the online multiplayer questions:

2. In the Online Open Course, there can be 50 people in a "realm" at a time. You can warp to the same Open Course "realm" that your friend is in by opening the menu, choosing Friends and selecting "go to Friend" or something like that. Tried it last night and was able to run around the course with my friend and play Online Courses simultaneously alongside each other. Really cool, though not ideal for keep track of scores against each other. This is different than creating a "game room" and playing a round of golf directly against each other.

3. Good question, not sure if this is a feature.

5. If they're in the Online Open Course, you can warp to their "realm". If they are in a game room, you can search for friends' game rooms and join that way.

Bebpo

Banned
While I appreciate the 60fps option for PS4 Pro, this is one game where I really would've loved to have a 30fps downsampling option. The shimmering is incredibly bad with all the foliage on the first course. PS3 also looked kinda weak. It's unfortunate that HSG hasn't been a looker since PS2, it used to look great back then.

It's still super fun to play, so the visuals don't matter. But with just a few toggles I think 4k downsampling to 1080p would've helped a lot with the image quality and made it a much better looking game.

Top Bottom