• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Stickboy2k

Neo Member
I bought the PS4 thinking this game would be out much sooner.

I am not disappointed per say, but I am not very happy either.

In almost every area the game is inferior to OOB and WI.

Character models: simple and less detailed and original than prior games
Shot mechanics: Shot meter blah blah WTF
Music: Lame
Not Next Gen at all in any way: Maybe in HDR? I don't have an HDR tv
Overall Game design: I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me. The Home area seems convoluded and lame to me, I feel like I am in "Playstation Home" looking for weed.

Graphically the game can be breathtaking but not overwhelmingly so.

Seeing other players running all over the place while I am playing a hole is just stupid.

I get what CH was trying to do but I don't think they achieved it and in fact they took a huge leap backwards.

Maybe I will change my mind as I play on, because the game is STILL VERY FUN.
As I get used to the shot gauge I find I am enjoying it more.

It was a VERY long wait for a game that just doesn't offer much new or better or even bigger experience.

I can't disagree with any of what you've said (including the part about it being fun overall). I can't understand what took so long for this game to come out. Seems like they announced it a looong time ago. They made a good choice to price it at $40. The music is especially terrible. Thank God for Spotify.

And yeah, the other "players" randomly playing golf at the same time as me is annoying at best. Especially when they're like right on top of me as I'm celebrating a good putt.

I gotta say, though, I was cracking myself up last night after a couple beers, and going online with this. A match with three random people, and everyone is just spamming the canned quotes. One woman (?) was trying to be polite with constant "nice shot" quotes, and this other guy is just continually spamming "Hurry up!" over and over. For whatever reason I found it hilarious.

purbeast

In OOB you could turn off the other players running around by simply pressing the select button. I know there isn't a select button anymore on PS4, but to not have this as an option is kind of mind boggling.

Same with not having advanced swing. They already have the mechanics for it down so porting it over should have been pretty straight forward.

I agree that all of the non-golf stuff is pretty dumb and not done very well for the most part. I'd take the way OOB is over this any day as far as the online aspect goes, where you have a little avatar in a room kicking soccer balls around but you can also meet up with people to get a game going.

They really need to add the mode to the "create room" mode other than stroke. They need to add the simultaneous mode.

I really also wish you could press X to skip the ball travel while playing online. It adds a lot of extra unnecessary time.

Had my best non tornado cup round this morning against the first Rank 2 VS character. Went 5 under par for the win. Felt great, love seeing slow subtle improvement with this game.

Finally getting dialed into my play. got to rank 4 so I'm amazed some of you are much farther. All I've done the last two days is play this.

When do online tournaments show up?

I've suffered some serious slowdown in my shot bar twice now, it speeds back up before impact (sp, pro 4K). Very rare as I'm rank 5 now but really annoying obviously.

eXistor

At first I was disappointed the game was 30 frames, but with the Pro patch you can actually choose 60 frames! That was one of my only gripes with the game and it's already fixed! Very addicting game btw, but I can't really figure out how to add effects to hits; most of the times my balls just go way off course when I hit the D-pad during a shot.

If someone can figure out Kazuma Kiryu sliders, please share.
My attempt.
0uZ6Ix4.jpg

There are no "slider" or values when customizing, so I'm not sure how to share it.

Pretty good. Is that a suit or a hoodie?
It's a hoodie. I haven't unlocked a suit yet.
I might go back and tweak it a bit, but I spent an hour on it, I just want to play now lol.
I think you can copy the character from me if we are in the open course together, then you can make changes to it. Hit me up on PSN if you want, ID: whassupbun

Stickboy2k

Neo Member
I can't disagree with any of what you've said (including the part about it being fun overall). I can't understand what took so long for this game to come out. Seems like they announced it a looong time ago. They made a good choice to price it at $40. The music is especially terrible. Thank God for Spotify.

I remember seeing that they were actively seeking developers for the game after it had already been in dev for a long time. Seems like they had some kind of problem as a company.

This could have been so much more. I hope long term it wins me over, but I find myself thinking of OOB while playing EG.

I do consider OOB the best version of the title. The overall feel of the game was like a well tuned fun machine. The music, the characters, the courses were all dead on and fun.

By trying to make the game "more appealing" they spoiled the soup.

Dad

Is there a way to set up a match with friends that ignores that club stats? I'm not super thrilled with the idea that grinding out the single player stuff let's some of us drive the ball dozens of yards farther than others

kdoll08

Is there a way to set up a match with friends that ignores that club stats? I'm not super thrilled with the idea that grinding out the single player stuff let's some of us drive the ball dozens of yards farther than others

If you are playing local multiplayer there is a way to do that but online I think you are stuck with what ever you have built up.

Hobbun

Hobbun said:
This is my first Hot Shots game. Have done 'ok' so far. My best game has been -3, so definitely room for improvement.

I did have some questions, though.

When you are in the Home area, I see the percentages at the top of the screen for P, C, BS & BD. I know they stand for Power, Control, Backspin and Backdoor. My question is, what does the percentage represent? Is that the percentage of my levels gained for those stats, compared to max? Like My P is 6%. Does that mean I have 94% until Power is maxed?

Under Data, then Stats, it only shows my Power at 1. Control, Backspin and Backdoor are all at 0. But I know that is not the case as I've leveled all of them already, why are those three at 0 only?

So does no one know? Would appreciate any helpful input.

Thanks.

Setzer

I wonder if club stats are based on your character because I saw you can create multiple golfers. I was thinking of just creating a new one for online matches with friends that hasn't leveled up his clubs.

I bought the PS4 thinking this game would be out much sooner.

I am not disappointed per say, but I am not very happy either.

In almost every area the game is inferior to OOB and WI.

Character models: simple and less detailed and original than prior games
Shot mechanics: Shot meter blah blah WTF
Music: Lame
Not Next Gen at all in any way: Maybe in HDR? I don't have an HDR tv
Overall Game design: I don't know. Maybe it will grow on me. The Home area seems convoluded and lame to me, I feel like I am in "Playstation Home" looking for weed.

Graphically the game can be breathtaking but not overwhelmingly so.

Seeing other players running all over the place while I am playing a hole is just stupid.

I get what CH was trying to do but I don't think they achieved it and in fact they took a huge leap backwards.

Maybe I will change my mind as I play on, because the game is STILL VERY FUN.
As I get used to the shot gauge I find I am enjoying it more.

It was a VERY long wait for a game that just doesn't offer much new or better or even bigger experience.

On top of what I said yesterday, I agree with this. I also think the "setting up your shot" on the tee pad is pointless.

shermas

If you have a long, uphill putt, is there a way to increase the distance you can hit it?

I've tried switching clubs (to a longer putter?), moving the camera, etc, but even at 100% power, I come up way short on some putts.

Like if I have a 15 foot putt that's way uphill, the cpu selects a 15 foot putter for me and I don't see how to change it.

hort22

If you have a long, uphill putt, is there a way to increase the distance you can hit it?

I've tried switching clubs (to a longer putter?), moving the camera, etc, but even at 100% power, I come up way short on some putts.

Like if I have a 15 foot putt that's way uphill, the cpu selects a 15 foot putter for me and I don't see how to change it.

press square it should bring up the 30 foot putter

kdoll08

This is my first Hot Shots game. Have done 'ok' so far. My best game has been -3, so definitely room for improvement.

I did have some questions, though.

When you are in the Home area, I see the percentages at the top of the screen for P, C, BS & BD. I know they stand for Power, Control, Backspin and Backdoor. My question is, what does the percentage represent? Is that the percentage of my levels gained for those stats, compared to max? Like My P is 6%. Does that mean I have 94% until Power is maxed?

Under Data, then Stats, it only shows my Power at 1. Control, Backspin and Backdoor are all at 0. But I know that is not the case as I've leveled all of them already, why are those three at 0 only?

Really early yet, have only defeated one VS character, but ready to fight my second one. Having a lot of fun so far. :)

So the P,C,BS, and BD represent the total level you have those stats leveled up to on all clubs. So while your 1w power might be at 90% your other clubs could be at 20% and the number in the home area represents your total average. This works the same way for all the stats.

shadewolf

Just got two digital codes emailed to me from Best Buy, hope they’re actually the preorder dlc this time, not that I’d complain about another digital copy of the game :D

Heel

Best Buy just sent me replacement pre-order codes.

Two replacement codes.

...and they're both for the full game.

What.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just got a couple of gems, what are they for? Some online mode?

Apparently for custom clubs which unlock at Rank 6.

Where did you find them? Also, is there a point to running around the course before you tee off?

i use it mosly for par 3's to get a better angle to the pin...ie if the pin is left i set up on the right side of the tee box

Exactly. Cause that's what it's for.

Getting the best line down a fairway or over/around sand. Very useful, like in real life.

So the P,C,BS, and BD represent the total level you have those stats leveled up to on all clubs. So while your 1w power might be at 90% your other clubs could be at 20% and the number in the home area represents your total average. This works the same way for all the stats.

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Ruruja

Apparently for custom clubs which unlock at Rank 6.

Where did you find them? Also, is there a point to running around the course before you tee off?

Yes, that's where I found them lol.

There was a bunch of coins and 2 gems around holes 7-8 in the open course.

RSchmitz

It's a hoodie. I haven't unlocked a suit yet.
I might go back and tweak it a bit, but I spent an hour on it, I just want to play now lol.
I think you can copy the character from me if we are in the open course together, then you can make changes to it. Hit me up on PSN if you want, ID: whassupbun

I don't pay for plus, so idk if I can do that. I'll try to copy using the pic as reference. Thanks.

So hit Rank 2 and it says about finding a caddy and a boost in the home area, can't find anything! Found the camera guy and a woman standing by the buggy but that's all. Any ideas?

So hit Rank 2 and it says about finding a caddy and a boost in the home area, can't find anything! Found the camera guy and a woman standing by the buggy but that's all. Any ideas?

He'll show up eventually like the other VS chars. Just keep playing

Edit: Oops, by caddy I though you meant cart. They should just be around your home somewhere.

Voorhees

The boost just looks like gold sparks. You'll find it at the bottom of the stairs where you sign up for Single Player Tournaments.

WoolyNinja

The boost is near the steps to go to tournaments or VS. Its a tiny sparkling thing.
You hit X when near it. For me the new caddy was just to the right of those same steps.

Teggy

I think they should add some points for GIR. Had this happen:

Par 5
Me - GIR, birdie
Computer - messes up a shot, chip in birdie

Computer wins hole by 1 pt.

So, he screws up but wins the hole.

M.W.

Broke down got this last night. Good god it's...amazing. I couldn't put it down, stayed up a bit late and now I'm beyond tired at work. My first 9 holes, +3. My second 9, even. My third 9, -5. Took me a few rounds to get it down. Love the progression system.

purbeast

I think they should add some points for GIR. Had this happen:

Par 5
Me - GIR, birdie
Computer - messes up a shot, chip in birdie

Computer wins hole by 1 pt.

So, he screws up but wins the hole.

I've been saying this since OOB. On par 3's you have a better benefit by landing on the fringe and setting up an easy chip than trying to make a hole in one and landing feet from the hole.

Griss

Also there is a condor out there in the wild now.

https://youtu.be/7rHzHYFlwNY

How the hell is this guy hitting it so far? I've maxed out my driver (lvl 25) and use Big Air clubs (top rank) and I hit it only 312 yards - this guy is hitting it 366.

Shit, 366 yard drives would totally break the game, now I'm worried. The Championship tees aren't far enough back to deal with that kind of madness.

Teggy

I think the only thing I don't like about the custom characters is that the preset characters forced you work with their strengths and weaknesses and natural fades and draws, and here you just work towards a single perfect superhuman character.

bombshell

How the hell is this guy hitting it so far? I've maxed out my driver (lvl 25) and use Big Air clubs (top rank) and I hit it only 312 yards - this guy is hitting it 366.

Shit, 366 yard drives would totally break the game, now I'm worried. The Championship tees aren't far enough back to deal with that kind of madness.

He has a comment under the video. I don't have the game yet myself, so not sure what he means compared to your question.

Q: Super stuff! How are your custom clubs tuned, just all in the power slot?

A: thanks! Yup, all 11 slots all tuned in powerp

Top Bottom