• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

Ruruja

wait but i mean only pressing after setting power,
What i do is:

1. press X
2. set power again with X
3. hold down
4. press X again

but spins needs up&down, right?, arg now im even more confused

The way you're doing it is just normal backspin (or normal topspin).

You can also do super backspin or super topspin which is:

1. Press X
2. hold up or down then press X to set power
3. hold the opposite direction then press X for impact

This way is better for making the ball stop pretty quickly on greens and in some cases spinning backwards.

Glas

The way you're doing it is just normal backspin (or normal topspin).

You can also do super backspin or super topspin which is:

1. Press X
2. hold up or down then press X to set power
3. hold the opposite direction then press X for impact

This way is better for making the ball stop pretty quickly on greens and in some cases spinning backwards.

Ohh i see, i will try right now and see if i can beat honghua for once.

does super have more accuracy and less "roll" or "wind effect reaction"?

I am having serious trouble at the beach map, i get out of bounds every time

i really need a cheat sheet lol

down & up = Super back spin
up & down = Super top spin
left & right = curve ball to right
right & left = curve ball to left
up alone = top spin
down alone = backspin

Edit -1 vs 0 4 holes
bunker then two water hazards

SIGH

What i do is:

1. press X
3. hold down
4. press X again

You need to press directional buttons when setting power and during impact.

Nyx

I'm really enjoying the camera angles in replays and all the sounds in the game. All the little comments you hear, the 'it's a par 4' voice, the sound of the ball entering the cup.

It reminds me of Sega and/or old arcades.

jacobeid

Banned
Welp, I couldn't resist and used my 20% code from buying my PS4 pro last month on this and Windjammers. Also bought physical copies of Yakuza Kiwami and Mario x Rabbids yesterday. Seems like a reasonable haul for one day ;___;

Voorhees

Ohh i see, i will try right now and see if i can beat honghua for once.

does super have more accuracy and less "roll" or "wind effect reaction"?

I am having serious trouble at the beach map, i get out of bounds every time

i really need a cheat sheet lol

down & up = Super back spin
up & down = Super top spin
left & right = curve ball to right
right & left = curve ball to left
up alone = top spin
down alone = backspin

Edit -1 vs 0 4 holes
bunker then two water hazards

SIGH

Reverse the top two

Down/Up - Topspin
Up/Down - Backspin

I know someone mentioned a special boss or something
after making 50 birdies (that teaches you how to swim)

I've done that and still nothing has ever happened saying a special boss appeared or anything

Jb

I'm really enjoying the camera angles in replays and all the sounds in the game. All the little comments you hear, the 'it's a par 4' voice, the sound of the ball entering the cup.

It reminds me of Sega and/or old arcades.

I also really love the "Blue Sky" feel of the game, it's very upbeat and refreshing.

AwShucks

I've seen a few comments in here saying World Invitational and/or OOB are better. Is there much to that? I don't like seeing all the other players running around and I also wonder why they went to the 3 press system for putts. What would you tell somebody to convince them to get this versus just playing World Invitational?

I've seen a few comments in here saying World Invitational and/or OOB are better. Is there much to that? I don't like seeing all the other players running around and I also wonder why they went to the 3 press system for putts. What would you tell somebody to convince them to get this versus just playing World Invitational?

One benefit of 3-click putting: you can now use power adjustment with it (triangle/circle instead of X at impact--once unlocked in Rank 2).

Ostinatto

I was waiting for the pop and it didn't come so thought you were fibbing that it wasn't actually your first.. ;)

It was my first.

21200540_10159244150965402_4821329362715466113_o.jpg

Glas

If anyone has an extra pre-order code im willing to buy it

Includes the 20th anniversary course which is not available for normal users

Lost to honghua for 4th time in a row +3 vs +6

sigh

hort22

sigh

the 20th anniversary course from the preorder is one of the courses listed in the DLC at the psn store.

Griss

Nice!
Got a couple with the tornado cup but pressed X immediately. Doesn't count.

Yeah, I don't count tornado or Mega Cup at all. Honestly I think the normal sized cup is too big with the ridiculous over-emphasis on 'back door' putts in this one, which I hate. Teensy cup is the real deal for me, but what I'd really like is the ability to turn off the 'whoop whoop' backdoor shit in favour of real cup physics.

I also dislike that the records are done per course showing all of the mega and tornado records I don't care about rather than per cup size so I can compare my real scores between courses. Past EG games had awesome stats screens. That said, I understand the idea that beginners who like to play Mega or Tornado golf should be able to track their scores too. It's just wasted real estate to me.

I think the only thing I don't like about the custom characters is that the preset characters forced you work with their strengths and weaknesses and natural fades and draws, and here you just work towards a single perfect superhuman character.

Totally agree.

sigh

the 20th Anniversary Course is just the Green Country Club DLC (a course from the original Hot Shots Golf)

What i do is:

1. press X
3. hold down
4. press X again

You are doung normal back spin. Its up then down on the eay back to do a homing shot.

Griss

There is quite a bit to it, but this is still an excellent and very enjoyable game. For those of us who played the EG6 (aka HSG: World Invitational) courses to death or who don't have our PS3s around any more, this is what we've got.

In terms of course design it reminds me more of EG5 (aka HSG: OOB) rather than EG6, and I thought EG6's courses were in a league of their own. But Eagle City is the best opening course in the series, easily, and Vortex Valley is pretty spectacular in places too so it's not like what's here is bad.

The main issues people have are
-Grinding issues - You're constantly grinding your characters abilities with each club so how good you score is a function of your 'level' rather than just purely your actual ability. This is very different from picking one of a balanced bunch of characters. You also have to play for about 4 hours just to unlock the second course. That's pretty obscene. It gets better from there but that was a poor decision - playing Eagle City for 4 hours straight is too much, despite how great it is.

-Pay-to-win microtransactions - For example you can use real money to improve your club, buy much better balls, and in turf war mode (where the idea is getting from hole to hole quickly) you can fucking purchase warp medals to basically defeat the purpose of the mode.

-Lack of different swing / shot types - The past two games had about 6, so this is a major step backwards. I don't like the traditional meter that much so this sucks for me.

-Character design - The create-a-character system leads to really bland looking characters, and VS mode battles are no longer fun as a result.

-Graphics - The visuals aren't as good as you'd expect, with flat lighting, poor weather effects, and a lack of anti-aliasing making foliage and water have really obvious dithering.

-Crowded course - Some people don't like that you can't turn off having a bunch of people running all over the course while you play. Even in single player, you see all your opponents playing at the same time and you have up to 90 'spectators' running around to give you the impression you're online.

-Polish and missing features - Lack of polish with a bunch of stuff from animations to UI - where the text boxes just display button prompts before the text even catches up, for example, or where the UI jerks around in 60fps mode and characters still animate at 30fps. Things like the fact that you can't choose your camera angle when the ball is in the air like you used to, there's a lack of hole 'fly-throughs' which used to give a hole character, the aforementioned lack of swing types, online daily tournaments not being ready for launch... despite how long the game took there's evidence that it was rushed in the end.

But honestly if you love Everybody's Golf it's still a must-play, it's the same classic gameplay, it feels great, and the open courses ARE fun to free roam and play online. They definitely got that bit right, and it matters a lot.

Stickboy2k

Neo Member
There is quite a bit to it, but this is still an excellent and very enjoyable game. For those of us who played the EG6 (aka HSG: World Invitational) courses to death or who don't have our PS3s around any more, this is what we've got.

In terms of course design it reminds me more of EG5 (aka HSG: OOB) rather than EG6, and I thought EG6's courses were in a league of their own. But Eagle City is the best opening course in the series, easily, and Vortex Valley is pretty spectacular in places too so it's not like what's here is bad.

The main issues people have are
-Grinding issues - You're constantly grinding your characters abilities with each club so how good you score is a function of your 'level' rather than just purely your actual ability. This is very different from picking one of a balanced bunch of characters. You also have to play for about 4 hours just to unlock the second course. That's pretty obscene. It gets better from there but that was a poor decision - playing Eagle City for 4 hours straight is too much, despite how great it is.

-Pay-to-win microtransactions - For example you can use real money to improve your club, buy much better balls, and in turf war mode (where the idea is getting from hole to hole quickly) you can fucking purchase warp medals to basically defeat the purpose of the mode.

-Lack of different swing / shot types - The past two games had about 6, so this is a major step backwards. I don't like the traditional meter that much so this sucks for me.

-Character design - The create-a-character system leads to really bland looking characters, and VS mode battles are no longer fun as a result.

-Graphics - The visuals aren't as good as you'd expect, with flat lighting, poor weather effects, and a lack of anti-aliasing making foliage and water have really obvious dithering.

-Crowded course - Some people don't like that you can't turn off having a bunch of people running all over the course while you play. Even in single player, you see all your opponents playing at the same time and you have up to 90 'spectators' running around to give you the impression you're online.

-Polish and missing features - Lack of polish with a bunch of stuff from animations to UI - where the text boxes just display button prompts before the text even catches up, for example, or where the UI jerks around in 60fps mode and characters still animate at 30fps. Things like the fact that you can't choose your camera angle when the ball is in the air like you used to, there's a lack of hole 'fly-throughs' which used to give a hole character, the aforementioned lack of swing types, online daily tournaments not being ready for launch... despite how long the game took there's evidence that it was rushed in the end.

But honestly if you love Everybody's Golf it's still a must-play, it's the same classic gameplay, it feels great, and the open courses ARE fun to free roam and play online. They definitely got that bit right, and it matters a lot.

Well said and a great summary of the issues.

Lusal

Neo Member
Increased? When I set them in the screen before a match it always shows my stats going down.

When compared to Big Air Clubs you'll probably see it go down. Try to compare to the standard clubs - they're the baseline statistic.

Through use you can level them up.

Played a bunch of 9 hole sets with former college buddies. Whilst drinking.

GOTY.

Ahhh, golf + drinking. Always a good combination. Regardless if it's video game golf or real life golf.

Nyx

Just shareplayed a 9-hole round with a friend and probably sold the game. He mentioned the relaxing and upbeat atmosphere too.

Will be good to have someone I know to play online with.

It was my first.

21200540_10159244150965402_4821329362715466113_o.jpg

You can adjust the display area in the ps4 settings -> sound and screen -> display area adjust.

You may also need to turn off overscan on your tv also. Remember 16:9 is often the wrong setting. You want screen fit/ picture fit/ dot by dot/ etc. etc. something like that instead.

Teggy

When compared to Big Air Clubs you'll probably see it go down. Try to compare to the standard clubs - they're the baseline statistic.

Through use you can level them up.

Oh, ok, I guess I was reading it wrong. I thought "effect" was the net change in the value, but I guess it is the number that will be added to the base value.

Griss

Oh, ok, I guess I was reading it wrong. I thought "effect" was the net change in the value, but I guess it is the number that will be added to the base value.

This confused me at first too, but you've got it now.

As for the infinity clubs - for me they're not worth it as the extra control is not worth it if you 'miss' even one drive (ie - hit it in the red zone), which could cost you one or two strokes easily on anything but Eagle City.

That said, if you're really confident in your skills, you can really notice the difference in shot spread when using the top-ranked Infinity Clubs, and other than the driver they're hardly different than using normal clubs. That extra precision with the irons feels so good.

Using the infinity clubs isn't so much about how often you get perfect impact (I'm a pretty poor 42%) but rather it's about how often you can avoid missing altogether with them.

Played a bunch of 9 hole sets with former college buddies. Whilst drinking.

GOTY.

Ahhh, golf + drinking. Always a good combination. Regardless if it's video game golf or real life golf.
Time stamp of post, 4:20. Whoa!!

Was actually just texting 3 friends. Told the two that don't have a PS4(or any game system) to pick up a PS4 and this game.
These are my Goldeneye, Halo, Hot Shots bros of ole.
Hoping it happens.

So why would someone play an unofficial round instead an official round? What's the difference aside from record keeping?

The unofficial rounds are usually significantly easier, which is why they are unofficial to begin with. It's not particularly hard to get chip-ins with a tornado hole, for instance.

The only reason I've played them is when I was forced to by the story mode.

Top Bottom