• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This EVO is going to be incredible, I can just feel it.

NRS confirming MKX reveal.
Skullgirls PS4/PSV already announced, being shown at EVO.
Nintendo reps in the building, almost guaranteed a character reveal.
Almost guaranteed a KI reveal
Harada flying out

What am I missing?
thats not marvel-related

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sunday will be a repeat of this.

ibqGedoBft3yG2.gif

Finally found something for stream monsters tonight.

Hitbox arcade is streaming.

Abegen vs Marvelo is up.

http://www.twitch.tv/hitboxarcade

I miss the days when Daigo use to participate in these kind of streams, money matches or just friendly late night casuals. Now him and probably the rest of Topanga are too hollywood for this. Hopefully some of the other top Japanese players are willing to participate in USF4 salty suites if their are any.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are fighting game tournaments always so nationalistic?
Sort of. America has been in the shadow of Japan forever, so it's always exciting to see players get close. I don't think it's your usual brand of nationalism either, since all Americans are absolutely in love with Japanese players. International players usually have lots of fans domestically too. I wouldn't even categorize it as nationalism TBH. People just cheer for the home team when others are dominant, and cheer for the away team when domestic players are dominant.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sort of. America has been in the shadow of Japan forever, so it's always exciting to see players get close. I don't think it's your usual brand of nationalism either, since all Americans are absolutely in love with Japanese players. International players usually have lots of fans domestically too. I wouldn't even categorize it as nationalism TBH.
Vulgar Spanish chants for Mexican KOF are hilarious.

RIP KingofSarus

colinp

Banned
Sort of. America has been in the shadow of Japan forever, so it's always exciting to see players get close. I don't think it's your usual brand of nationalism either, since all Americans are absolutely in love with Japanese players. International players usually have lots of fans domestically too. I wouldn't even categorize it as nationalism TBH. People just cheer for the home team when others are dominant, and cheer for the away team when domestic players are dominant.

This is a really interesting aspect of the FGC to me. At Japanese tournaments do they also cheer on the underdog? Or chant 'Japan' when playing against a foreigner?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This is a really interesting aspect of the FGC to me. At Japanese tournaments do they also cheer on the underdog? Or chant 'Japan' when playing against a foreigner?
I'm not even sure if Japan has big international tournaments anymore.

I always got the impression that the crowds were more reserved, but some of their players are pretty good at talking shit--and backing it up.

EDIT: Although I will say that it's pretty common for Japanese stream monsters to start spamming "U-S-A! U-S-A!" in chatrooms after American players lose, lol.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Are fighting game tournaments always so nationalistic?

That was the last SBO, the most prestigious Japanese tournament when it was around. No American has ever won there. Until that. Before that, U.S team got destroyed by one single Japanese player.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Everyone has access to these.

Support a good cause, the game design scholarship.

What's this, then?

Pay a one time fee of $12 to last the whole duration of the event (And until the next EVO) and gain access to chat, higher quality streaming (720p+ max resolution) with no ads,
custom emotes and be able to look at the archives.

That was the last SBO, the most prestigious Japanese tournament when it was around. No American has ever won there. Until that. Before that, U.S team got destroyed by one single Japanese player.

Before that it was games that Japanese people actually played too.

colinp

Banned

Interesting!

That's definitely nationalism. ;)

But I'm not saying it's a bad thing! It's a part of the culture, history and games. Nothing wrong with that.

phaonaut

What's this, then?

When the Cannon's where on UltraChen they said they didn't want to put quality options behind a paywall, they didn't want to inhibit viewers in any way. Maybe the description is wrong or maybe what he said won't carry through.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That whole SBO was a blow up. What a terrible way to showcase the last SBO. Chou Tougeki before that was one of the best international tournaments to watch. They should just have expanded on that.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I miss the days when Daigo use to participate in these kind of streams, money matches or just friendly late night casuals. Now him and probably the rest of Topanga are too hollywood for this. Hopefully some of the other top Japanese players are willing to participate in USF4 salty suites if their are any.

I'll let the cat out of the bag. He has some tech to unleash. No better time than EVO. Oh and he's going to have people filming him for a documentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom