• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the "Daigo's ERyu sucks" thing here in GAF feels like I'm missing some backstory or context.

At casual glance, his Eryu was the top of Japan's point rankings.

I'm guessing a lot (like me) have only really seen it once. On that occasion he dropped a combo, won a round with an ultra and then got completely blown up by a Japanese Gen player as he tried to play like Ryu.

This was at the recent charity event, so it is unclear how many fucks he was giving out that day. Probably not many at all.

But ultimately, do you think he'll be better than say Sako? He probably plays a lot more to get the points and one day he may well be. But it is just hard to see his E.Ryu being stronger than his Ryu at this point, no matter what the tier list says.

If it is? We are in for some fun.

xCobalt

As for those match ups, I think Evil Ryu does better against Cammy than Ryu does. Against Yun I think they're about the same against him. Looking at the cast as a whole, their really isn't any match ups that Ryu does much better than Evil Ryu in. Honestly I see no reason to switch unless he really think he needs faster normals for up close footsie battles which is the biggest thing Ryu has over Evil Ryu.

It's more of a comfort thing not so much the matchup. The slightly higher health and stun may make the matchup a bit more forgiving too. We'll see though.

Also the "Daigo's ERyu sucks" thing here in GAF feels like I'm missing some backstory or context.

At casual glance, his Eryu was the top of Japan's point rankings.

Based on the vids that are online, he doesn't seem to be using e.ryu to his full potential. His high ranking just proves how strong his fundamentals are, not so much how strong his character is.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
He plays his Evil Ryu exactly like his Ryu and he doesn't maximize damage or abuse some of the Evil Ryu setups that I've seen Naruo and Sako used.

There most likely just hasn't been enough footage.. And the footage we've seen was kind of underwhelming

Yeah this is pretty much why so many people have this sentiment that Daigo's Evil Ryu sucks or isn't as good as his Ryu. Their is so little footage of his Evil Ryu and what little footage we do have isn't impressing many people who are use to seeing how Sako played Evil Ryu.

What we have seen is him losing to Tinshi and looking less than stellar in a team tournament. Then we have him looking really fucking solid in the USF4 console launch stream and in those Japan tournament matches against Mago, Jihuta(Gouken players), and Gachikun. And many people who saw those matches were left unimpressed because they felt he played very boring and didn't utilize Evil Ryu's mix ups.

We haven't actually seen him in long sets or in a American style tournament yet. EVO 2014 will be the first American tournament we see his Evil Ryu in. Anything less than top 8 will be pretty disappointing and let the doubters feel justified in their previous claims. I think he'll do fine though, I'll be rooting for him to take it all.

jbug617

Banned
Gaf member One Frame Link showing some tech for Finals day.

BsPUpuzCUAAzsZZ.jpg

Pappasman

Hanging out with the gaf crew today was a lot of fun. Shoutouts to Smedwicks for a chill room to get some games in.

Q's poison destroyed me. ggs dude. Really fun games.

Now I have to get some sleep for melee pools tomorrow morning...

Reading some of my posts from last years evo. I'm reminded of the chat problems and the random lagging. I hope that doesn't happen again this year.

damn so no gaf stream? nobody brought streaming equipment :C

They going to Vegas bro...if it was me I wouldn't even have brought a stick. Honestly knowing me I probably party and sleep for 1 hour and come to my pools 3 hours late get DQ, and say FK it play a few casual then go back to partying.

Was gonna bring a capture card to record matches but ended up needing to bring too much extra so I opted not to

Maybe next year I'll run a GAF room stream

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
They going to Vegas bro...if it was me I wouldn't even have brought a stick. Honestly knowing me I probably party and sleep for 1 hour and come to my pools 3 hours late get DQ, and say FK it play a few casual then go back to partying.
I used to bring all my gear on the plane and tough it out on ~350kbps poverty hotel wi-fi.

I can do true poverty stream on my phone. Will post links here if such an event happens :D
Would watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom