• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2014 Fighting Game Tournament of the Year July 11th - 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well after Gems in SFxT and paying for each individual character in KI, I'm kinda wondering what the next big fighting game innovation would be? Paying for meter?

Paying to Win the round. If both players have Paid to Win, they get a tie round. If they pay to win again, they actually have to fight.

I'll take my check, Capcom.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Dunno about that. Marn was pretty convincing last night. At least one of those two Chris G wins nearly went to Marn but he messed up on his execution a bit. If Marn is on point tonight... watch out Chris!
I feel like the more Marn cares about how he's doing, the worse his chances are. He's just more dangerous when he has absolutely no regard for risk/reward.

So, teams/skill/etc. aside, I dunno if he'd be able to hold it together in top 8.

A few noob questions about Blazblue:

1. Surprised at the number of entrants for Blazblue, is the turn-up for events that high or is it a result of the increased pot?
2. Are the quarter and semi finals archived yet for? Can't seem to find them on twitch
3. Is this expected to be the last entry in the series? Any rumblings of releases on other platforms?

Thanks

1. Probably the money, but BBCP now that it's patched is just a fantastic game also.
2. http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/546876227 at around 6h35m
3. It's not the last at least. Next one will be a while probably but the story is not yet finished. It recently released on Vita as well but that's it.

Indignate

1. Probably the money, but BBCP now that it's patched is just a fantastic game also.
2. http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/b/546876227 at around 6h35m
3. It's not the last at least. Next one will be a while probably but the story is not yet finished. It recently released on Vita as well but that's it.

To add to 3.

I remember reading an interview with Toshimichi Mori where he said that CP brings us up to 80% of the story that he wants to tell with that franchise.

So if we go only by this, we'll probably only see one more game.

ldcommando

Banned
Besides the Chris g vs marn and apology man vs fchamp matches yesterday do you guys recommend any other hype matches? I went to sleep after that.

Salex_

I'm SOOOO excited for the Tekken 7 announcement. I just hope they make some changes to bring back the feel of T5DR/T3 and to bring in more players.

1. Get rid of bound.
2. Movement as fluid as T5DR.
3. Make advanced movement options more accessible.
4. Make the move list shorter.

Oh, and bringing back the pre-match movement from T4 would be nice!

maybe it's because i was rooting for him but insaynne vs neo was a hype match as well.

Seeing both Coach Steve and Ray Ray getting top 8 was great. You could tell what it meant to both themselves and their friends.

Sucks that they have to end one another's run first thing in Top 8, but sometimes that's just how it ends up.

Marvelous

Marn winning Marvel would be magical. Don't deny it, folks.

Hopefully everything will be on schedule today. I'll get a chance to watch all of the games except Street Fighter 4.

ZenTzen

A few noob questions about Blazblue:

1. Surprised at the number of entrants for Blazblue, is the turn-up for events that high or is it a result of the increased pot?
2. Are the quarter and semi finals archived yet for? Can't seem to find them on twitch
3. Is this expected to be the last entry in the series? Any rumblings of releases on other platforms?

Thanks

1. the pot may have helped but it was announced a bit late, so the entrants is really mostly BB people that just wanted to play, if anything the increased pot just helped a little
2. its mostly on srkevo2 stream just after smash
3. no this isnt the last entry, and this is pretty much a PS exclusive

I'm SOOOO excited for the Tekken 7 announcement. I just hope they make some changes to bring back the feel of T5DR/T3 days and to bring in more players.

1. Get rid of bound.
2. Movement as fluid as T5DR.
3. Make advanced movement options more accessible.
4. Make the move list shorter.

Oh, and bringing back the pre-match movement from T4 would be nice!

I can see this happening. I think Tekken Revolution was a testing for basic combos but also to test a projectile character (Eliza). But I think that it's more for TxSF since obviously Ryu needs projectiles.

I'm honestly hoping for TxSF. TTT2 is still new and has plenty of life. But if they did make Tekken 7 with the new system, then they'd also kill off TTT2. Dunno.

He's retiring from commentary after EVO due to his health issues. Today is the last we'll see of the D1 and Prog commentary team for Melee. :(

Damn that sucks. D1 and Prog are brilliant together. They're the team like James Chen and Ultra David, Markman and Aris or....Yipes and F.Champ.

My #1 rule is that I never bet against Justin and even if I were to go against that rule I would be betting for Justin to win this EVO any way (in fact he has been my pick to take this EVO from the start).

I can however take that Sako bet. Terms?

Pick your horse. $20 to the winner, neither wins it's a wash. That's how vulva and I usually bet.

vulva

About to head down to try and get a good spot for finals day. Should be fun. So far great tournament, great experience.

Salex_

Why would they announce tekken 7 before the SF finals?

Where else could they announce it today? Since Tekken finals isn't today no time slot really "makes sense". The viewership will be near the peak when SF starts.

Also, announcements related to a certain company normally happens after the finals, not before (ex. MKX Raiden reveal after Injustice ended).
Yeah but with Ono on stage too? That's like Sakurai coming up to help talk about KoF14.

Oh, I didn't know Ono was going to be on stage too. Maybe he was going to talk like he normally does or....something.
Didn't they said Ono was greeting players and that's all? After all Ono is the face of SF for the past 5 years now, it's only normal he's coming to thanks players and show he's here.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why he's going to be on stage. He did that last year as well.

Revven

what health issues? whats wrong with him? this seems so sudden :(

I'm not 100% sure but I think cancer runs in his family and he had a cancer scare earlier this year. He got treated for it but after the surgery he still hasn't been feeling super well at some events like at Anaheim as I mentioned -- he could even barely get out of bed on one of the days for that event. I think I've heard him say he has polyps somewhere? Like... in his colon?

Either way, he's been up and down for the last few months and he doesn't want to risk his health traveling to these events to commentate anymore.

Didn't they said Ono was greeting players and that's all? After all Ono is the face of SF for the past 5 years now, it's only normal he's coming to thanks players and show he's here.

Clawww

You know nothing Jon Danwson. :D
More seriously, I interviewed harada 3 times about TxSF and it's not a basic 2D game he's working on, more something that blends 3D mechanics with 2D mechanics and need a lot of work. For example when I asked him last year, he was working on offensive jumps and it was hard as it's not common to start attacking by a jump in a 3D game, but it's mandatory in 2D games. He was also struggling with the responsive feeling you have in a 2D game compared to a 3D game, trying to find the right balance.

Harada cannot change Tekken too much and said he wanted to use TxSF to try new things he could not do in Tekken. :)

I like what I'm hearing so don't be foolin us all

Veggy

Exactly. Only way it i see it being Tekken 7 is that if Ryu is a guest character or if they're going to tease that TxSF still exists at the end of the T7 reveal.

Darkstalkers-Not-Dead.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom