• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

Wow that's a pretty great/interesting top 8. I had to bow out once Semis started, gonna go back and watch what I can find right now. Would be crazy if a Juri won it.

NotLiquid

someone has actualized pools for sm4sh?

Last I checked, this was Top 32 (image taken from Reddit)

2dAng7g.jpg

I believe that the Sonic main facing MrConCon is Mocha, while one of the contestants on the round consisting of unknown participants is Tyrant (a Meta Knight main).

BadWolf

Rooting for AiAi now since my first two picks got elemented.

Him winning would actually be my ideal scenario, where a player that people know little about wins using an underused character.

Ono just posted a pretty heartwarming post in honor of SF4's seventh anniversary on Facebook. Complete with pictures of Alex Valle and J Wong posing with Blanka haha

3 punches

1 red, 1 white, and 1 blue

Haha, hell yea! Love seeing some Guile action. I know Top 8 is usually jammed with JP players but first and foremost I root for whatever USA players remain.

I doubly root for SnakeEyez because: (1) USA, (2) homeboy keeps representing all of us PAD WARRIORS out there. And his Gief is freaking scary.

Kikujiro

Eduardo can get to GF, but the problem is that he never shines in longer sets, so he may be able to reset the bracket, but I don't see him win this.
Momochi has the biggest change, but I'd like to see Tokido take Evo, dude deserves it and this year he's been too many times second.

I'm catching up with the archive and wtf happened to Uncle Valle's haircut? That shit is gross.

BadWolf

AiAi has a really good chance since not only was he doing extremely well but most players don't have the experience playing against a Juri of his level.

Momochi plays her too so that might be a problem but his is nowhere near as impressive.

Ryu1999

Haha, hell yea! Love seeing some Guile action. I know Top 8 is usually jammed with JP players but first and foremost I root for whatever USA players remain.

I doubly root for SnakeEyez because: (1) USA, (2) homeboy keeps representing all of us PAD WARRIORS out there. And his Gief is freaking scary.

Daigo eliminated Snake Eyez in the second to last stream match.

It's crazy to me that one Rosalina got beat a Sonic (the campier one even) while another Rosalina beat a different Sonic (the arguably better one).

Oh well I'm okay with anything that makes Dabuz have to put in some work.

maybe Abadango will use Rosalina more to make up for that :p

Revven

aMSa is out of Sm4sh?

Well, we don't know some results looking at NotLiquid's screenshot (unless there's been some updates since then) so it's possible he's one of the "???" but from what it sounded like last night (before I went to bed) he at least got knocked into loser's during quarterfinals.

He, however, IS in Melee semifinals so we should be cheering/rooting for him there. :D

Unlucky

Since people are talking resumes, here's some stuff I dug up looking at past Evo results because somebody said something that sparked my curiosity.

1. Daigo Umehara is still the most consistent placer in SF4 Evo history. he's won twice, made top 8 five times (most of any player), and he was one place short of making his sixth top 8 this year, finishing 9th. Last year was his only year not making top 32, giving him six top 32 finishes, also unsurpassed.

2. Infiltration, Gamerbee, and PR Balrog are next with four top 8 finishes.
    • Infiltration has won once, and finished 3rd, 5th, and wherever he places this year.
    • Gamerbee has finished 2nd, 5th, 7th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • PR Balrog has finished, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • Gamerbee and Infiltration have never placed outside of top 32; Infiltration placed 25th in both years he failed to make top 8, while Gamerbee placed 9th and 17th in his non-top-8 years.

3. Ricki Ortiz and Tokido follow with three top 8 placings.
    • Ricki Ortiz has been less consistent than several of the players with fewer top 8 placings. After finishing 7th and 2nd in the first two years of SF4, she failed to make top 32 for three straight years before returning in 2014. She finished 25th this year.
    • Tokido returned to the SF4 top 8 for the third time this year. He's finished 2nd and 5th prior to this year, and he has an additional top 32 placing, finishing 13th in 2010 for four, matching Ricki's total.

4. Fuudo, Poongko, Momochi, and Sako each have two top 8 finishes.
    • Fuudo has been the most consistent, with one 9th place finish, top 32 in each of his five years, and an Evo title in 2011.
    • Poongko finished 3rd, 7th, and 9th in his first 3 Evos, but hasn't made top 32 since.
    • On the opposite end of the spectrum, Momochi finished 17th, 25th, and outside top 32 his first 3 SF4 Evos, but he's now made top 8 in consecutive years.
    • Sako has finished top 32 in all four of his Evo appearances, breaking into the top 8 in 2013 and 2014.

5. Of the one-time Top 8 finishers, the most noteworthy are Justin Wong, Xian, Louffy, Latif, and Snake Eyez.
    • Justin was the first runner-up in SF4 history and has six top 32 placings in seven years. He finished 9th in 2010, 13th every year from 2011 to 2013, and 17th in 2014 before failing to place this year.
    • Speaking of weird patterns, Xian has a somewhat odd history. One year he didn't get out of pools; one year he won the title. Every other year, he's finished 17th.
    • Louffy placed 17th in 2013 before winning the title in 2014.
    • Latif placed 2nd in 2011, but failed to make top 32 in 2012. Since then, he's placed 13th, 25th, and 13th, giving him four total top 32 finishes.
    • Snake Eyez won an Evo title in HD Remix 2010, but he didn't start placing in SF4 until 2013. Since then, he's finished 9th, 4th, and then 13th this year.
    • If neither AiAi, Nemo, nor NuckleDu wins Evo this year, Xian and Louffy will remain the only SF4 champions to have never placed top 8 in any other year.

6. Other notable one-time placers
    1. Bonchan was the runner-up in 2014 and placed 17th the prior year, but has not placed top 32 in two other attempts, including 2015.
    2. Wolfkrone placed 7th in 2012 and has 25th place finishes in 2011 and 2015.
    3. Mike Ross peaked in 2010 at 4th place, but he's followed a "pretty good every other year" pattern since, placing 13th in 2012 and 17th in 2014.
    4. Nuckledu improved on his first top 32 placing in 2014 when he finished 17th by breaking into top 8 this year.

Great summary, very interesting. Thanks for putting this together.

Tripon

I like the top 8 for ultra. You got the character specalists (AiAi with Juri, PRRog with Boxer), the counter pickers with Infiltration and Gamerbee, and young (AiAi, and Nuckledu), the old (Tokido, Infiltration, Gamerbee, Momochi).

I think out of this group, its Momochi's tournament. After he wins, he can finally give Choco a kiss on stage.

AiAi has a really good chance since not only was he doing extremely well but most players don't have the experience playing against a Juri of his level.

Momochi plays her too so that might be a problem but his is nowhere near as impressive.

I think Infiltration will cause more problems than Momochi since he plays of a lot of characters and have experience with Juri as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom