• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2015 - The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year - July 17-19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to watch at work all night between tasks, so it wasn't as hype as it should had been for me compared to if i was watching on my big screen at home. O wells.

Man, i wanna play tekken 7 baaaad.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Only reason I enjoy watching Daigo lose is because it means that FGW doesn't get to fellate him for a whole month.

Godlike player though and exciting as hell to watch. But the DaiGOAT worship is just painful.

I'll take anything to avoid more "DaiGOAT" threads.

OceanBlue

Sorry, but aren't semifinals over?

He probably thought you meant footage for top 8. Anyway, here:

USF4 Top 64

Winners
EG|Momochi (Ken) vs. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
AiAi (Juri) vs. Infiltration (Evil Ryu, Elena, Chun-Li)

Losers
EG|PR Balrog (Balrog) vs. BE|Nemo (Rolento)
AvM|GamerBee (Elena) vs Liquid|NuckleDu (Guile, Decapre)

9. ZV|Kazunoko (Yun)
9. YBK|Santarouman (Sagat)
9. MCZ|Daigo (Evil Ryu)
9. Filipinoman (Rose, Poison)
13. Qanba|Xiao Hai (Cammy, Evil Ryu, Yun)
13. Kindevu (Elena)
13. Snake Eyez (Zangief)
13. Latif (C. Viper)

17. XSK Samurai (Evil Ryu)
17. RZR|Fuudo (Fei Long)
17. Chris Tatarian (Ken)
17. FGC|Pepeday (El Fuerte, Seth)
17. WFX|801 Strider (Abel)
17. RZR|Xian (Gen, Elena)
17. BX3TPL|Phenom (M. Bison)
17. HORI|Sako (Ibuki, Elena)

25. EG|Ricki Ortiz (Rufus, Rolento, Rose, Chun-Li, Poison)
25. BegetaminB (Ibuki, Blanka)
25. Brentt (Rufus)
25. DL|Hamad (Fei Long)
25. Misse (Makoto)
25. TS|Reiketsu (Vega, Yang)
25. FA|Ryan Hart (Sagat, Yun)
25. Wolfkrone (C. Viper)

33. TTL|Shinba (Abel)
33. 30f|Street11 (Gen)
33. /r/Kappa|KojiKOG (T. Hawk)
33. RZR|Gackt (Fei Long)
33. CDV|Cuongster (Yun)
33. Jayce the Ace (Decapre)
33. M.B. (M. Bison)
33. IND|Pro Fluke (El Fuerte)
33. VGP|Chaotix (Dudley)
33. Kiyotea (Guy)
33. Keno (Balrog)
33. Hsu Wei Ting
33. Harideshi (M. Bison)
33. Haitani (Rufus)
33. Manny
33. EH|Velociraptor (Gouken, Evil Ryu)

49. DBKoopa (Yun)
49. HuomaoTV|Dark Jiewa (Ken)
49. TL|CastBlanka (Blanka)
49. Okkun (Ibuki)
49. LLL|MBR (Akuma)
49. Cloud9 (Seth)
49. CCG|Chi-Rithy (Chun-Li)
49. pH|Nando Tovar
49. Eita (Akuma)
49. Gachikun (Sagat)
49. WA|Salpacino (Adon)
49. /r/Kappa|Poongko (Seth, El Fuerte)
49. Julio (Yun)
49. Inco (Rufus)
49. Qanba|Dakou (Evil Ryu)
49. RZR|Itabashi Zangief (Zangief)

With thanks to Eventhubs

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jwong already gone from ultra?

edit: wait im an idiot its up to top 8 already, I thought that was today for some reason

NotLiquid

Catching up on Smash 4 stuff, seems to me that this is one of the few times where upsets have actually made people upset.

Customs are really dividing people something hard here. It's cool to see John Numbers styling with his WFT. That said I honestly fear that because of some top competitive players being so heavily outspoken against them, we won't see them much anymore. Feels like anything that would happen today at the tourney would be an excuse to rally against them, even though for the most of the part, Top 16 is comprised of the usual suspects and only a few outliers.

Also jesus christ, StaticManny made it to Semis and 6WX didn't?

Number45

Are the USF4 semis going to be uploaded to YouTube? Watched a good amount of the pools yesterday flipping between the two streams, but I couldn't stay up for the semis. :'(

Warpticon

Since people are talking resumes, here's some stuff I dug up looking at past Evo results because somebody said something that sparked my curiosity.

1. Daigo Umehara is still the most consistent placer in SF4 Evo history. he's won twice, made top 8 five times (most of any player), and he was one place short of making his sixth top 8 this year, finishing 9th. Last year was his only year not making top 32, giving him six top 32 finishes, also unsurpassed.

2. Infiltration, Gamerbee, and PR Balrog are next with four top 8 finishes.
    • Infiltration has won once, and finished 3rd, 5th, and wherever he places this year.
    • Gamerbee has finished 2nd, 5th, 7th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • PR Balrog has finished, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • Gamerbee and Infiltration have never placed outside of top 32; Infiltration placed 25th in both years he failed to make top 8, while Gamerbee placed 9th and 17th in his non-top-8 years.

3. Ricki Ortiz and Tokido follow with three top 8 placings.
    • Ricki Ortiz has been less consistent than several of the players with fewer top 8 placings. After finishing 7th and 2nd in the first two years of SF4, she failed to make top 32 for three straight years before returning in 2014. She finished 25th this year.
    • Tokido returned to the SF4 top 8 for the third time this year. He's finished 2nd and 5th prior to this year, and he has an additional top 32 placing, finishing 13th in 2010 for four, matching Ricki's total.

4. Fuudo, Poongko, Momochi, and Sako each have two top 8 finishes.
    • Fuudo has been the most consistent, with one 9th place finish, top 32 in each of his five years, and an Evo title in 2011.
    • Poongko finished 3rd, 7th, and 9th in his first 3 Evos, but hasn't made top 32 since.
    • On the opposite end of the spectrum, Momochi finished 17th, 25th, and outside top 32 his first 3 SF4 Evos, but he's now made top 8 in consecutive years.
    • Sako has finished top 32 in all four of his Evo appearances, breaking into the top 8 in 2013 and 2014.

5. Of the one-time Top 8 finishers, the most noteworthy are Justin Wong, Xian, Louffy, Latif, and Snake Eyez.
    • Justin was the first runner-up in SF4 history and has six top 32 placings in seven years. He finished 9th in 2010, 13th every year from 2011 to 2013, and 17th in 2014 before failing to place this year.
    • Speaking of weird patterns, Xian has a somewhat odd history. One year he didn't get out of pools; one year he won the title. Every other year, he's finished 17th.
    • Louffy placed 17th in 2013 before winning the title in 2014.
    • Latif placed 2nd in 2011, but failed to make top 32 in 2012. Since then, he's placed 13th, 25th, and 13th, giving him four total top 32 finishes.
    • Snake Eyez won an Evo title in HD Remix 2010, but he didn't start placing in SF4 until 2013. Since then, he's finished 9th, 4th, and then 13th this year.
    • If neither AiAi, Nemo, nor NuckleDu wins Evo this year, Xian and Louffy will remain the only SF4 champions to have never placed top 8 in any other year.

6. Other notable one-time placers
    1. Bonchan was the runner-up in 2014 and placed 17th the prior year, but has not placed top 32 in two other attempts, including 2015.
    2. Wolfkrone placed 7th in 2012 and has 25th place finishes in 2011 and 2015.
    3. Mike Ross peaked in 2010 at 4th place, but he's followed a "pretty good every other year" pattern since, placing 13th in 2012 and 17th in 2014.
    4. Nuckledu improved on his first top 32 placing in 2014 when he finished 17th by breaking into top 8 this year.

Devil

Is there a good way/overview/link collection for people to watch EVO after it is done? I got no time at all this weekend but would really like to watch it spoiler-free.

Slaythe

I hate how they are handling it this year with forced subscription,people unable to watch VOD and all, source blocked. Fuck that.

So, I worked 12 am - 8 am last night, got blindsided by Evo starting because I'm an idiot, so I ended up staying up and watching all of it, and now I'm about an hour away from finishing an 11 pm - 7 am, then I have to be up by 1 pm to catch Competitive Catherine.

Still no regrets!

miku

Since people are talking resumes, here's some stuff I dug up looking at past Evo results because somebody said something that sparked my curiosity.

1. Daigo Umehara is still the most consistent placer in SF4 Evo history. he's won twice, made top 8 five times (most of any player), and he was one place short of making his sixth top 8 this year, finishing 9th. Last year was his only year not making top 32, giving him six top 32 finishes, also unsurpassed.

2. Infiltration, Gamerbee, and PR Balrog are next with four top 8 finishes.
    • Infiltration has won once, and finished 3rd, 5th, and wherever he places this year.
    • Gamerbee has finished 2nd, 5th, 7th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • PR Balrog has finished, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and wherever he finishes this year.
    • Gamerbee and Infiltration have never placed outside of top 32; Infiltration placed 25th in both years he failed to make top 8, while Gamerbee placed 9th and 17th in his non-top-8 years.

3. Ricki Ortiz and Tokido follow with three top 8 placings.
    • Ricki Ortiz has been less consistent than several of the players with fewer top 8 placings. After finishing 7th and 2nd in the first two years of SF4, she failed to make top 32 for three straight years before returning in 2014. She finished 25th this year.
    • Tokido returned to the SF4 top 8 for the third time this year. He's finished 2nd and 5th prior to this year, and he has an additional top 32 placing, finishing 13th in 2010 for four, matching Ricki's total.

4. Fuudo, Poongko, Momochi, and Sako each have two top 8 finishes.
    • Fuudo has been the most consistent, with one 9th place finish, top 32 in each of his five years, and an Evo title in 2011.
    • Poongko finished 3rd, 7th, and 9th in his first 3 Evos, but hasn't made top 32 since.
    • On the opposite end of the spectrum, Momochi finished 17th, 25th, and outside top 32 his first 3 SF4 Evos, but he's now made top 8 in consecutive years.
    • Sako has finished top 32 in all four of his Evo appearances, breaking into the top 8 in 2013 and 2014.

5. Of the one-time Top 8 finishers, the most noteworthy are Justin Wong, Xian, Louffy, Latif, and Snake Eyez.
    • Justin was the first runner-up in SF4 history and has six top 32 placings in seven years. He finished 9th in 2010, 13th every year from 2011 to 2013, and 17th in 2014 before failing to place this year.
    • Speaking of weird patterns, Xian has a somewhat odd history. One year he didn't get out of pools; one year he won the title. Every other year, he's finished 17th.
    • Louffy placed 17th in 2013 before winning the title in 2014.
    • Latif placed 2nd in 2011, but failed to make top 32 in 2012. Since then, he's placed 13th, 25th, and 13th, giving him four total top 32 finishes.
    • Snake Eyez won an Evo title in HD Remix 2010, but he didn't start placing in SF4 until 2013. Since then, he's finished 9th, 4th, and then 13th this year.
    • If neither AiAi, Nemo, nor NuckleDu wins Evo this year, Xian and Louffy will remain the only SF4 champions to have never placed top 8 in any other year.

6. Other notable one-time placers
    1. Bonchan was the runner-up in 2014 and placed 17th the prior year, but has not placed top 32 in two other attempts, including 2015.
    2. Wolfkrone placed 7th in 2012 and has 25th place finishes in 2011 and 2015.
    3. Mike Ross peaked in 2010 at 4th place, but he's followed a "pretty good every other year" pattern since, placing 13th in 2012 and 17th in 2014.
    4. Nuckledu improved on his first top 32 placing in 2014 when he finished 17th by breaking into top 8 this year.

Thanks. Can you do one for Mago too?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Catching up on Smash 4 stuff, seems to me that this is one of the few times where upsets have actually made people upset.

Customs are really dividing people something hard here. It's cool to see John Numbers styling with his WFT. That said I honestly fear that because of some top competitive players being so heavily outspoken against them, we won't see them much anymore. Feels like anything that would happen today at the tourney would be an excuse to rally against them, even though for the most of the part, Top 16 is comprised of the usual suspects and only a few outliers.

That's the Smash scene for you. Why try to embrace new possibilities or solve new problems when it's the nature of your scene to just disregard it altogether instead?

I'm just going to c/p a post of mine from Smashboards on this subject:

I've said this before, but this is a symptom of the very type of game that Smash Bros is.

When you played Street Fighter in an arcade in the 90s, you were putting money up to play against complete strangers. You were actually putting something on the line when doing this. If you lost, you were not only out a quarter, but you also had to walk back to the end of the line and wait for your turn again. Your opponents weren't going to be eager to help you learn and cut you any slack, either; they weren't your friends and they were putting something on the line themselves. The game in question was also explicitly designed around head-to-head competition in the first place. This kind of environment naturally bred certain attitudes. You wanted to find the cheap stuff and use it. You wanted to do everything in your power to win because there was something actually on the line to win or lose. With rare exceptions for extreme cases, soft-bans on characters or tactics didn't tend to stick because people who put up the money to play were unwilling to cede any tools at their disposal. The players couldn't tweak any gameplay options, and even if they could, the operator menu didn't have much to offer besides round count and cost per credit. You learned how to use--and how to beat--the cheap stuff simply because you had to. Developers had to put at least some effort into making sure that the games weren't too broken to severely hurt competition and income; those that were wouldn't last. And even after the scenes for these types of games transitioned from arcade to console, the players' attitudes and the developers' design philosophies largely remained the same.

Smash Bros started out as a console game that can be played competitively but has several significant non-competitive trappings. The typical player's first exposure to the game is not in a public setting like an arcade against complete strangers, but a more intimate, private setting between friends at home. It doesn't have an iron-clad default config designed around serious 1v1 play and is a heavily configurable game at its heart. In fact, in order to achieve ideal settings for competitive play, you kind of have to alter the game from its default configuration in at least some capacity. And the unfortunate side effect of being able to pick and choose the rules means that you're going to get at least some percentage of players more interested in lobbying for rules to suit their own biases and tastes than in learning things that they just don't want to learn.

It's actually kind of interesting to read up on the FGC's perspective of Smash Bros in Melee's early days. SSBM wasn't added to the EVO line-up until 2007, but there were fairly serious discussions about adding it to the line-up dating back to at least 2004, and the debates from around that time are illustrative of the differences between the two communities. One of the Cannon brothers (head EVO TOs), for example, said that the most appealing things about the game were (1) unique, elaborate stages, (2) items, and (3) more than two players at once, undoubtedly because those are the core elements of the game that clearly separate Smash from traditional fighters. It's not that surprising that EVO pushed for item play during Brawl's run on their stage when you consider their "default config is sacred" arcade era attitude and their desire to appreciate those elements of Smash that most-clearly separate it from the other games that they're used to playing.

Now, I'm not one to advocate for item play by any means, but I can at least in principle appreciate their attitude of "put everything on the table... unless there's a good reason not to" and the high threshold they set for additional rules and bans on that front. That attitude is why we're getting customs at EVO. I'm grateful for that much, even if they get the cold shoulder from the community from that point forward for questionable reasons.

Pretty much all of the common anti-customs arguments I hear are scrubby as hell. I honestly have some problems with them myself (e.g. the need to vote for "optimal" move presets is subjective as hell and introduces a lot of bias and politics to the metagame that I loathe), but at least 90% of the time it's just a matter of people wanting to ban something they're too lazy to learn.

Shout out to my BCW mate Chris Tatarian. He ran into Infiltration in winner's bracket and Nemo got his revenge on him in the losers to knock him out. Very very solid Ken play hopefully we can spar online and our connection isn't an issue man!

Glad to see Momochi's comebacks, and repping that Ken to the max with clean play! This top 8 is so scary though, all winners will need a bit of good fortune.

Seiniyta

That's the Smash scene for you. Why try to embrace new possibilities or solve new problems when it's the nature of your scene to just disregard it altogether instead?

Pretty much all of the common anti-customs arguments I hear are scrubby as hell. I honestly have some problems with them myself (e.g. the need to vote for "optimal" move presets is subjective as hell and introduces a lot of bias and politics to the metagame that I loathe), but at least 90% of the time it's just a matter of people wanting to ban something they're too lazy to learn.

Custom moves are awesome, but the implementation of the system is really poor. The entire UI of Smash 4 isn't great but the custom moves really show it. Not only is unlocking them a huge pain in the ass but you kind of need the list as it's the only viable way (right now) to have them on all the wiiU setups through 3DS transfer which made the lists needed. It's far from ideal.

When I was unlocking the 3DS custom moves I was under the impression I could transfer those to my WiiU, but sadly. Sakurai seems to love making us grind pointlessly for hours on end even if already have them all on the 3DS.

The menu is also quite cumbersome and slow to select custom moves. It should have been added to the character select screen. Select player tag -> select character -> select custom moves ala selecting ultra's in street fighter IV.

Heck, if you insist of having to unlock them, at least just make them unlockable per character by beating classic mode or something.

Can someone tweak this to say it's marvel time lol

2PCHKRm.gif

NotLiquid

Custom moves are awesome, but the implementation of the system is really poor. The entire UI of Smash 4 isn't great but the custom moves really show it. Not only is unlocking them a huge pain in the ass but you kind of need the list as it's the only viable way (right now) to have them on all the wiiU setups through 3DS transfer which made the lists needed. It's far from ideal.

When I was unlocking the 3DS custom moves I was under the impression I could transfer those to my WiiU, but sadly. Sakurai seems to love making us grind pointlessly for hours on end even if already have them all on the 3DS.

The menu is also quite cumbersome and slow to select custom moves. It should have been added to the character select screen. Select player tag -> select character -> select custom moves ala selecting ultra's in street fighter IV.

Heck, if you insist of having to unlock them, at least just make them unlockable per character by beating classic mode or something.

I don't think anyone is going to insist that customs aren't cumbersome to unlock. I'd say that ties into Sixfortyfive's point of the series having always been caught up in non-competitive trappings. Part of the reasons the way customs work the way they do is because of the Amiibo stuff which is a wholly non-competitive element.

I have to say if the standard ZeRo / ESAM / Dabuz / Nairo combo ends up being the top four, it will almost feel like this hoopla about customs will be for nothing since it still shows that the people who worked hard to prove their talents came out on top, and considering the people who made it to Top 32, I don't think it's been that easy. For the most of the part the Smash 4 pools went really well, and bar some of the upsets I think the people who are here now have pretty much deserved their wins.

Notably enough I'm surprised that at first glance there are no DKs in Top 32. He kind of seemed like the Bowser-esque flavor of the month in a customs environment. Also only two Villagers from what I'm seeing (the more "problematic" character if you'd like to call it that I suppose), and one Pikachu who is more likely to win because it's ESAM rather than having the HSB. John Numbers with WFT seems like the only character that balanced out with customs as opposed to using them for sheer gimmickry. All in all I think it's mostly been a good show.

cj_iwakura

Tell me there's a good recording of those Losers matches from last night, I passed out.

Wouldn't mind seeing Rog VS Fuudo either.

The biggest shame is Elena. It is a boring character to start with and Sako's just looks like everybody elses. When he plays Ibuki it is like he has his own character.

Ugh....no. Did you watch Topanga World League 2?

Sako's Elena is still head and shoulders above everyone else (he was one round away from winning Topanga World League 2 using only Elena).
Sako's set against Momochi was incredible (Probably one of the best sets I've ever seen; his Elena armor cancel was one of the highlights of the league) and watching him beat Daigo 5-2 (crazy Ultra 1 punishes in every round) was a thing of beaty.

People don't watch the best SF4 event (Topanga League) and then only base their opinion on Evo performances. That's the problem.

SamVimes

That's because topanga is a shit ass backwards tournament, the concept is great but paying money for 240p is not something most people will do.

Xater

Ok this is only semi-related, but because they have been advertising the TE2 on the streams I took a closer look at them. Nice sticks but the European pricing is a joke right? The thing costs 230€ compared to $200 in the US. WTF?

colinp

Banned
Ok this is only semi-related, but because they have been advertising the TE2 on the streams I took a closer look at them. Nice sticks but the European pricing is a joke right? The thing costs 230€ compared to $200 in the US. WTF?

EU pricing. Looks normal to me. Is this the first time you've ever compared eu things with us things?

JediLink

I'm just going to c/p a post of mine from Smashboards on this subject:

For what it's worth, unlike items and stages, customs are hardly the "default". In fact, from the way they're implemented it seems more like they didn't seriously intend for them to be used that much at all.

Gojeran

Hoping for Tokido or PR Rog to take it. Both are amazing players and would be happy to see either of these guys take a first place Evo finish. Hell if Rog wins maybe he will un "retire".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom