• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 Fighting Game Chamionship Tournament of the Year - July 15th - 17th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zhi is the perfect commentator to watch during all the pools and QF/SF. For most of the internets I think he is pretty entertaining with his ridiculousness. But obviously when you go top 8 you want to go all business. Get me some Chen/Seth kil even though I know we aren't gonna get that then.

jett

D-Member
I feel like a game/scene that can get 5000+ entrants at EVO should be able to finding commentators that are pretty popular AND generally well-received. Like why settle. No other scene seems to bother.

There are I think like a dozen commentators on SFV at Evo. You think anyone is going to be on the mic the entire day?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I feel like a game/scene that can get 5000+ entrants at EVO should be able to finding commentators that are pretty popular AND generally well-received. Like why settle. No other scene seems to bother.

There are good commentators but they rotate them in and out. You can't have a duo doing 8+ hours of commentary. There are shifts and certain commentators that do multiple games. Ski and Zhi are obviously the least liked and as bad as some people think they are esports and other games have far worse commentators.

It's still pools right now, so I don't mind all of the combinations, let other people get a shot. If Ski/Zhi were doing Semifinals, then I'd be a bit miffed.

There are I think like a dozen commentators on SFV at Evo. You think anyone is going to be on the mic the entire day?

Of course not! You're missing my point: literally every single on the commentators SFV attracts should be better than this. I don't think that's unreasonable considering Capcom otherwise puts in so much effort.

I get that there's always going to be one or two people that just don't go down well, but ideally that can just be for reasons beyond "they aren't a weirdo arsehole".

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There's not a single commentator without adversaries. Maybe Seth Killian...

Horseress

Zhi is the best. He used to talk a lot of controversial shit, but not anymore, for quite sometime. Now he's just funny and you can't say he's not knowledgeable about the game, he knows a lot

People who dislike him are boring to hang out with. There I said it

Shito

Well, at least this downtime is made not so boring thanks to Zhi and Ski right now.
Zhi is very much hit or miss, but I appreciate the fact that he's just being himself and don't try and play it like he's a super professional or anything.

ldcommando

Banned
Zhi is the best. He used to talk a lot of controversial shit, but not anymore, for quite sometime. Now he's just funny and you can't say he's not knowledgeable about the game, he knows a lot

People who dislike him are boring to hang out with. There I said it

Agree. He is pretty tame nowadays

The only scenes that have decent commentators are Starcraft, Hearthstone, and maybe League. The fact that the FGC can usually find a good commentary pair for every game's top 8 is pretty impressive, meanwhile DOTA and Overwatch are big games that have abysmal casting all around, even with millions of players.

jett

D-Member
i don't know. But he isn't the US's only hope.

Hah okay. Do you have an updated SFV bracket I can look at btw?

Of course not! You're missing my point: literally every single on the commentators SFV attracts should be better than this. I don't think that's unreasonable considering Capcom otherwise puts in so much effort.

I get that there's always going to be one or two people that just don't go down well, but ideally that can just be for reasons beyond "they aren't a weirdo arsehole".

Neither SkiSonic or Zhi are weirdo assholes, man. For me, they're fine paired with other people, but together they're definitely too much.

Tripon

If you are going to slam Zhi, at least admit what he is good at, which is analysis, in depth knowledge of players, especially players from Asia and crafting a narrative. The dude is a story teller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom