• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

phaonaut

It's very well liked by Mr. Wizard so it will stay as long as numbers are decent.

KI is the real danger besides MKX if they don't get a big pot bonus.

Luckily KI had a good showing this year and may get more players interested in playing. I know I'm going to take a second look at it.

Neoxon

I doubt EVO did well on ESPN. Anyone who is interested likely knows about Twitch, which mainly leaves the novelty watchers and that isn't going to be a lot.
To be fair, ESPN's showing of EVO blew Twitch's out of the water, so a good number of people may have jumped ship just for the production value. ESPN was also ahead of Twitch by several seconds, so there's also that.

Eidan

I doubt EVO did well on ESPN. Anyone who is interested likely knows about Twitch, which mainly leaves the novelty watchers and that isn't going to be a lot.
I ditched Twitch for ESPN. Honestly not sure why a lot of people kept watching on Twitch. A love of incomprehensible chat rooms?

I didn't even see SFV on twitch for one second as soon as ESPN started broadcasting. I am sure there's lot of viewers like me out there. ESPN coverage of EVO made twitch look like an amateur event lol. I don't think I can ever watch FGC stream on twitch now. ESPN spoiled me lol.

Since EVO could be seen as the halfway point to the Capcom Cup, here's the current top 32

Infiltration - Nash
Fuudo - Mika
Justin Wong - Karin
Tokido - Ryu
Phenom - Necalli/Bison
Momochi - Ken
Julio - Ken
Yukadon - Nash
Xian - FANG/Ibuki
Haitani - Necalli
Xiao Hai - Cammy
Chris T - Ken
Go1 - Chun-Li
Mago - Karin
Eita - Ken
KBrad - Cammy
Misterio - Karin
Problem X - Bison
Kazunoko - Cammy
PR Balrog - Necalli/Balrog
Filipino Champ - Dhalsim
Mister Crimson - Laura
CCL - Chun-Li
NuckleDu - Nash
Will2Pac - Laura/Nash
Luffy - Mika
Cuongster - Cammy
Daigo - Ryu
Flash Metroid - Vega
MOV - Chun-Li
Dark Jiewa - Ken
Chancho Kay - Laura

Ken - 5
Nash - 4
Cammy - 4
Karin - 3
Chun-Li - 3
Necalli - 3
Laura - 3
Mika - 2
Ryu - 2
Bison - 2
FANG - 1
Ibuki - 1
Balrog - 1
Dhalsim - 1
Vega - 1

dmr87

SFV climbing the steam top sellers charts. That Evo effect.

Tj3Y9wo.png

I ordered GG Relevator, I'm getting in there.

I didn't even see SFV on twitch for one second as soon as ESPN started broadcasting. I am sure there's lot of viewers like me out there. ESPN coverage of EVO made twitch look like an amateur event lol. I don't think I can ever watch FGC stream on twitch now. ESPN spoiled me lol.

Why was it much better? No cable plebe here ._.

Riposte

To be fair, ESPN's showing of EVO blew Twitch's out of the water, so a good number of people may have jumped ship just for the production value. ESPN was also ahead of Twitch by several seconds, so there's also that.

I suppose there could have been cannibalism, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of introducing a bigger audience.

Crisp high definition, 60 fps, ESPN level presentation, godlike commentary by Mike and Seth. It was on par with many ESPN sporting event you see on ESPN. I am sure EVO will have some coverage on sports center tomorrow if it did well. Can't go back to watching crappy twitch anymore lol.

Of course they do.

I'm in Canada and I have a pretty spiffy Cable set up, I got lots of US channels, HBO , AMC etc. I pay 70-80 bucks a month, but I still don't get ESPN, because it costs even more. (like extra premium cable package)

So yeah, ESPN was only good for the US audience, every other pleb, had to still stay with Twitch

Coda

It had Seth Killian and Mike Ross for commentary for starters which is a godlike commentating combo IMO. The production overall was just more solid. Transitions were smoother and they had some cool moments where they would put little video windows of the players as they played during matches to escalate the tension better.

Daft Punk

Banned
I suppose there could have been cannibalism, but I guess I was thinking more in terms of introducing a bigger audience.

You have to remember that Capcom had been blasting advertisements for this for well over a week so there was bound to be some interest from people. Nobody is saying it's a super success, but it would be silly to think that he showing was a complete bomb too.

Eidan

I wish Joe could have gone further, if only to see what other video packages ESPN had on him. Childhood photos. Joe's first tournament win. Prom.

Nanashrew

Banned
It's the Smash community in general. They've always had an inferiority complex about not being able to sit at the big kids table (SF, Tekken, etc.) due to large porting of the FGC not seeing them as a real fighting game. So they constantly try to compare themselves to other games for self-validation even though they basically have their own EVO in Apex which caters exclusively to them. Like someone said before, SFV virtually matched Melee and that was just on Twitch. We don't even know how many people tuned into ESPN to watch so trying to compare isn't even viable.

Tbh, I kept track of viewership cause I like to see the numbers grow from last year and most were down overall with no record viewership broken. SFV benefited the most from being on TV and having a place on ESPN so there's no telling how many more people viewed. But sure, let's go with this whole e-peen thing.

Luckily KI had a good showing this year and may get more players interested in playing. I know I'm going to take a second look at it.

Also, the definitive edition hits in September. That's likely to pull in a fresh audience. Three seasons worth of characters and stages + other stuff for 39.99.

You have to remember that Capcom had been blasting advertisements for this for well over a week so there was bound to be some interest from people. Nobody is saying it's a super success, but it would be silly to think that he showing was a complete bomb too.

Yep as soon as i heard top 8 will be on ESPN i had no plans to watch it on twitch lol. Why watch streams when I can watch it on prime time cable TV for free. I thought the broadcast was going to be w/e but the ultimate production was godlike. And on par with many ESPN sporting events.

Also, the definitive edition hits in September. That's likely to pull in a fresh audience. Three seasons worth of characters and stages + other stuff for 39.99.

I really hope it gets a Season 4 or something to keep interest alive for next years EVO. I thought that Top 8 was great to watch

Yeah, I still haven't gotten a satisfying answer as to why people kept monitoring SF twitch numbers outside of some weird dick measuring contest the Melee community seems to have with...well, seemingly everyone.

Part of the quest for legitimacy after so many years of being "repressed" or something.
Whenever it comes on, it's break time for me. Visual Nyquil.

I don't know about anyone else but I ditched twitch for espn for sfv

Well, if you take a look at their average ratings, and realize that HOTS got 96k, fairly safe bet that SFV "won" since it's easier to watch and more people have general awareness of SFV because its on PS4.

But really, I'd just like to see ESPN production values across the board for the major events. Their coverage dominated.

i agree with Maximilian, don't nerf, just buff the weaker guys.

That's what Capcom said there plan was. They'd buff the weaker character while nerfs would be reserved for characters that are broken. And I don't think any character is remotely broken.

Goodstyle

Since EVO could be seen as the halfway point to the Capcom Cup, here's the current top 32

Infiltration - Nash
Fuudo - Mika
Justin Wong - Karin
Tokido - Ryu
Phenom - Necalli/Bison
Momochi - Ken
Julio - Ken
Yukadon - Nash
Xian - FANG/Ibuki
Haitani - Necalli
Xiao Hai - Cammy
Chris T - Ken
Go1 - Chun-Li
Mago - Karin
Eita - Ken
KBrad - Cammy
Misterio - Karin
Problem X - Bison
Kazunoko - Cammy
PR Balrog - Necalli/Balrog
Filipino Champ - Dhalsim
Mister Crimson - Laura
CCL - Chun-Li
NuckleDu - Nash
Will2Pac - Laura/Nash
Luffy - Mika
Cuongster - Cammy
Daigo - Ryu
Flash Metroid - Vega
MOV - Chun-Li
Dark Jiewa - Ken
Chancho Kay - Laura

Ken - 5
Nash - 4
Cammy - 4
Karin - 3
Chun-Li - 3
Necalli - 3
Laura - 3
Mika - 2
Ryu - 2
Bison - 2
FANG - 1
Ibuki - 1
Balrog - 1
Dhalsim - 1
Vega - 1

Did Xian use Ibuki in this tournament? I didn't see that once.

dmr87

Oppai's too strong

Ryan Harvey ‏@fubarduck
Fun fact: Fuudo was required to use the "Story 1" costume after his first match because the default was deemed too revealing by ESPN.

Moaradin

I'm sure plenty of people that were interested just watched it on ESPN instead of Twitch. From what I saw, the ESPN coverage was better all around.

Apathy

As a more capcom person, I will say this, the MKX finals were by far the best ones, and I mean no disrespect to the SF5 ones they were good too, but my god the MKX ones were just in it's own league. The reason for it was the narrative behind it, and seeing SonicFox taking off his hat and having to resort to Alien to win on the final round. You add that amazin moment with Aris commentating, just made for the perfect storm.

Oppai's too strong

Ryan Harvey ‏@fubarduck
Fun fact: Fuudo was required to use the "Story 1" costume after his first match because the default was deemed too revealing by ESPN.

Knew it, figured this was the case as soon as I saw he changed it for his second match.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
It's the Smash community in general. They've always had an inferiority complex about not being able to sit at the big kids table (SF, Tekken, etc.) due to large porting of the FGC not seeing them as a real fighting game. So they constantly try to compare themselves to other games for self-validation even though they basically have their own EVO in Apex which caters exclusively to them. Like someone said before, SFV virtually matched Melee and that was just on Twitch. We don't even know how many people tuned into ESPN to watch so trying to compare isn't even viable.

No it happens every year comparing all the games to league or whatever. Fighting game players have the inferiority complex about other more important games always.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I remember when Wizard polled about the possibility of making Evo a week long event and he got resistance to the idea surprisingly.

The longer the event becomes, the more of a hassle it becomes to take days off for the whole event.

A weeklong EVO would only be feasible if they completely segregated the communities, like making the first day of the event Nintendo-only and not saving their games for Sunday finals at all.

Top Bottom