• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2016 IOT2I Final day Final game - SFV Top 8 live on ESPN2

The ESPN coverage was pretty much perfect. There are a few suggestions that i'd have to improve the overall coverage but it's pretty much nitpicking at that point.

And comparing stream counts for separate games is dumb for two reasons

1) who cares
2) the ESPN coverage blew the SRK1 stream out of the water.

ynthrepic

Banned
More like because nobody likes it. I don't think anyone was hyped for it. I lasted like ten minutes checking it out and then clocked out. It's Street vs Juggle level of bad.

I mean, if you want to make a point maybe hyperbole isn't the most effective way of going about it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SFV climbing the steam top sellers charts. That Evo effect.

Tj3Y9wo.png

Thinking about next year's potential lineup, jeez.

For sure: SFV, Marvel, Melee, Smash 4, Xrd, KoF, Tekken 7, Injustice, KI

Maybe: MKX, Pokken, BlazBlue

Will next year be a 4-day event?

I remember when Wizard polled about the possibility of making Evo a week long event and he got resistance to the idea surprisingly.

whether or not Pokken comes back depends entirely on how much Nintendo/Bandai want to support it. It had the entrant numbers to come back even if it wasn't interesting to stream viewers, but if Nintendo don't care then EVO won't either.

With how hard atlus is pushing KOF it'll definitely be at EVO, though.

Eidan

The ESPN coverage was pretty much perfect. There are a few suggestions that i'd have to improve the overall coverage but it's pretty much nitpicking at that point.

And comparing stream counts for separate games is dumb for two reasons

1) who cares
2) the ESPN coverage blew the SRK1 stream out of the water.
Yeah, I still haven't gotten a satisfying answer as to why people kept monitoring SF twitch numbers outside of some weird dick measuring contest the Melee community seems to have with...well, seemingly everyone.

Quick question is KI gonna be safe to appear next year or are we thinking its bouncing? I thought KI and MKX were the most fun Top 8 this year. I have a feeling MKX may no show next year due to Injustice 2 which is a bummer because that Finale was the best part of all of EVO 2016 imo

Depends on the game's support. If they get another season, I highly doubt they would drop it. The year Injustice came out, they ran both MK9 and Injustice, but the schedule is so damn loaded this year.

Next year's selection show is going to be brutal.

going by some of the reactions it probably had a big drop in viewership for people not interested in videogames. Are we including people who just happened to tune in and not people who actually stay and watch it?

There were more reactions against the few who were complaining than there were said complaining tweets. This went over much better on social media than the heroes of the storm debacle. Besides, there's no way to differentiate people who happen to tune in vs. people tuning in on purpose.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pretty sure that KOFXIV and Tekken 7 will make main stage next year, plus Injustice 2. Will be interesting to see what gets cut (other then MKXL obviously).

Guilty Gear is probably done.

Ferrio

Banned
Pretty sure that KOFXIV and Tekken 7 will make main stage next year, plus Injustice 2. Will be interesting to see what gets cut (other then MKXL obviously).

Ya both KOF and Tekken need to be on the main stage. KoF is always the underdog hype machine.

ynthrepic

Banned
whether or not Pokken comes back depends entirely on how much Nintendo/Bandai want to support it. It had the entrant numbers to come back even if it wasn't interesting to stream viewers, but if Nintendo don't care then EVO won't either.

With how hard atlus is pushing KOF it'll definitely be at EVO, though.

It also depends if it has staying power, which Pokemon worlds may or may not indicate.
At the very least they care more about pushing it as an e sport than Nintendo do for Smash.

lupinko

As long as the west gets console ports of the most updated game in time, Guilty Gear will always be around.

Tragic (announcer dude) is one of the main guys behind Evo and is also the guy that runs Dustloop.

Unlike Smash or NRS games, Evo staff really like GG.

i don't know about GG being gone? do people consider KOF to be an anime game?

There's no danger of Marvel being dropped, right? Because it doesn't matter who is playing it at what stage in the tourney, Marvel at Evo is 100% hype 100% of the time.

Neoxon

It also depends if it has staying power, which Pokemon worlds may or may not indicate.
At the very least they care more about pushing it as an e sport than Nintendo do for Smash.
I could see The Pokémon Company upping the money pot & announcing an NX port to keep Pokkén Tournament alive.

Neoxon

There's no danger of Marvel being dropped, right? Because it doesn't matter who is playing it at what stage in the tourney, Marvel at Evo is 100% hype 100% of the time.
Marvel's gonna be just fine. Could it be bumped to Saturday night, maybe, but it's most likely sticking around.

Daft Punk

Banned
Yeah, I still haven't gotten a satisfying answer as to why people kept monitoring SF twitch numbers outside of some weird dick measuring contest the Melee community seems to have with...well, seemingly everyone.

It's the Smash community in general. They've always had an inferiority complex about not being able to sit at the big kids table (SF, Tekken, etc.) due to large porting of the FGC not seeing them as a real fighting game. So they constantly try to compare themselves to other games for self-validation even though they basically have their own EVO in Apex which caters exclusively to them. Like someone said before, SFV virtually matched Melee and that was just on Twitch. We don't even know how many people tuned into ESPN to watch so trying to compare isn't even viable.

From the lineup, no way. From the 5 games on the big stage? That's a harder one to answer (Assuming they keep Mandalay Bay as a one day thing)

It's very well liked by Mr. Wizard so it will stay as long as numbers are decent.

KI is the real danger besides MKX if they don't get a big pot bonus.

i keep saying only marvel can kill marvel but if it drops of very hard at one point, i would be very worried for it

but i'm sure it will show up again

Requeim

It's the Smash community in general. They've always had an inferiority complex about not being able to sit at the big kids table (SF, Tekken, etc.) due to large porting of the FGC not seeing them as a real fighting game. So they constantly try to compare themselves to other games for self-validation even though they basically have their own EVO in Apex which caters exclusively to them. Like someone said before, SFV virtually matched Melee and that was just on Twitch. We don't even know how many people tuned into ESPN to watch so trying to compare isn't even viable.

People also ignore the fact that SF5 top 8 is extremely late in Europe for some reason.

Riposte

I doubt EVO did well on ESPN. Anyone who is interested likely knows about Twitch, which mainly leaves the novelty watchers and that isn't going to be a lot.

Top Bottom