• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

minx

Evacuation as the monster again on stage 4 of 5 and game crashes. There was an alpha and a beta to get this shit right plus the game was delayed 4 months. Already lost my rank when I was 12 and now to back 22. This game is a lot of fun but get your shit together with the stability turtle rock wtf.

Had a great time as the monster tonight, most successful feeling run yet

Some obvious tips, try not to engage until rank 3, smell all the time, use stealth mode whenever possible.

Had to avoid those sound sticks and the birds that come when you kill something but other than that had this team straight up fooled as to my location.

I almost can't handle the monster though, that "I'm being hunted" feel is too intense sometimes. I suspect perhaps I'll get used to it with more play time, but shit is it a rush. I also discovered that I hate the support class as much as I did in the beta. That one is forever relegated to last choice.

Klyka

Banned
Had a great time as the monster tonight, most successful feeling run yet

Some obvious tips, try not to engage until rank 3, smell all the time, use stealth mode whenever possible.

Had to avoid those sound sticks and the birds that come when you kill something but other than that had this team straight up fooled as to my location.

I almost can't handle the monster though, that "I'm being hunted" feel is too intense sometimes. I suspect perhaps I'll get used to it with more play time, but shit is it a rush. I also discovered that I hate the support class as much as I did in the beta. That one is forever relegated to last choice.

I don't think this is really true. If you have full armor and are ready to evolve, you can bring the hunters to a place that's good for you to fight in and get some strikes in on them. Obviously only if they don't have Lazarus or if you are sure you can take him down first.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, I think monster should engage a lot. Strikes are vital, especially if it comes down to a fight at the power relay.

It really is a lot to take in and get used to though.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah, I think monster should engage a lot. Strikes are vital, especially if it comes down to a fight at the power relay.

It really is a lot to take in and get used to though.

Yeah like,i feel otherwise the armor is just so useless and wasted. Like,you're basically running around at full armor at all times anyway. Why? Just in the case that the hunters do manage to capture you?
That seems like a waste of resources to me.

The strike system exists for a reason.

I just started a Reddit thread about it here http://www.reddit.com/r/EvolveGame/comments/2vr5kl/dedicated_monster_players_engage_with_full_armor/

Let's see what the general concensus is.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah like,i feel otherwise the armor is just so useless and wasted. Like,you're basically running around at full armor at all times anyway. Why? Just in the case that the hunters do manage to capture you?

I just started a Reddit thread about it here http://www.reddit.com/r/EvolveGame/comments/2vr5kl/dedicated_monster_players_engage_with_full_armor/

I still think it's viable with Lazarus. If anything you definitely want to use the armor while you have it incase you need to play risky and camp over his body taking damage. Making sure he's downed is worth any hits you take for the most part.

I feel like a huge portion of the Wraiths I fight miss this aspect entirely. They run the entire match, get to stage 3, and can't take down a prepped team that planted traps everywhere as everyone is still at full health.

Stage 1 is pretty risky but I'd say it depends how the monster is specced. It's more viable if they pumped single abilities up, but it also makes them more predictable.

minx

I still think it's viable with Lazarus. If anything you definitely want to use the armor while you have it incase you need to play risky and camp over his body taking damage. Making sure he's downed is worth any hits you take for the most part.

I feel like a huge portion of the Wraiths I fight miss this aspect entirely. They run the entire match, get to stage 3, and can't take down a prepped team that planted traps everywhere as everyone is still at full health.

Stage 1 is pretty risky but I'd say it depends how the monster is specced. It's more viable if they pumped single abilities up, but it also makes them more predictable.
Yeah I agree waiting until stage 3 to engage is terrible advice. I will always engage multiple times during stage 2 with full armour. So far I have 27 wins and two deaths as a monster. I have lost a few times in rescue and nest buy not because of dying.

Circinae

Neo Member
try not to engage until rank 3

I'm completely against this. You should be trying to down hunters whenever you have the protection of armour and not be too sensitive about your health. Evolving gives you a good chunk back, due to the scaling. Picking off hunters during a match, leads to an almost certain stage three or sooner victory, because they won't have downed state anymore and will have two strikes off health missing.

It is also ridiculously fun hunting the hunters.

Raytow

I'm completely against this. You should be trying to down hunters whenever you have the protection of armour and not be too sensitive about your health. Evolving gives you a good chunk back, due to the scaling. Picking off hunters during a match, leads to an almost certain stage three or sooner victory, because they won't have downed state anymore and will have two strikes off health missing.

It is also ridiculously fun hunting the hunters.

Depends on the monster as a wraith, maybe if you kidnap someone and go nova on his ass, I wouldn't fight them until rank 3

Circinae

Neo Member
Depends on the monster as a wraith, maybe if you kidnap someone and go nova on his ass, I wouldn't fight them until rank 3

It depends on lots of things, but it was the "engage" I was disagreeing with, I would deem picking people off as a kind of engagement.

Klyka

Banned

It all depends on where you fight them.
Remember that if the monster wants it, it can 100% decide where the fight takes place and when.

Raytow

It all depends on where you fight them.
Remember that if the monster wants it, it can 100% decide where the fight takes place and when.

Still not sure where to pick fights, since I have no idea on what maps I'm playing should check a guide or something.

minx

Still not sure where to pick fights, since I have no idea on what maps I'm playing should check a guide or something.

Picks fights next to large obstacles that you can use to hide behind or break the line of sight between hunters so they can't Sheild or heal. Or next to an elite wildlife that will attack the hunters.

Klyka

Banned

You want to pick fights in places with lots of cliffs that you can climb all around. You use these to break line of sight but also to force the hunters to use their jetpack to climb up there with you.

Having large predators close that you can kick the hunters into is very valuable too.

I really hate having to play as the monster, and it seems to happen to me without choice every 3 or 4 games, even though I have it set to last in my preference.

Anybody looking for an Assault to play with on Steam?

Semper88

Every game i play i got bullshit team mates and a monster that keeps running and running till its rank 3.

What the fudge do i do about this!?

Klyka

Banned
Every game i play i got bullshit team mates and a monster that keeps running and running till its rank 3.

What the fudge do i do about this!?

Play with GAFfers

Ok guys, let's get some opinions on the different hunters and what part of the game they are best at going,shall we?

Bucket: Fantastic in Defend and Nest mode.
Hank: Awesome in Rescue and Nest, great in Hunt.
Abe: Defend/Nest/Rescue are his thing.
Maggie: Best in Hunt, good for Defend.

Some off of the top of my head.

Circinae

Neo Member
Play with GAFfers

Ok guys, let's get some opinions on the different hunters and what part of the game they are best at going,shall we?

I like to think about what a hunter's particular strength is and how to make sure you balance a team based on those.

For example, if a trapper picks Griffin, I feel either the support should go with Bucket for the UAV or the medic should choose Val for the tranq dart. The UAV or to a lesser extent, the tranq, make up for Griffin's lack of pursuing abilities.

If someone choose Lazarus, I think the assault should go with Hyde or to a lesser extent, the support pick Hank. The toxic bombs can deter the monster from standing on a downed hunter, giving the Lazarus time to sneak in and res. Orbital strike can be used to similar effect.

I feel the general principle is you need some way of pursuing, some way of slowing and some way to deter the monster from beating on downed hunters. Appropriately pick hunters that will fulfill these roles.

Does any one know if there's someone compiling a list of the maps with stuff like buff monster spawns / good hiding places / terrain tactics listed on them?

Klyka

Banned
I like to think about what a hunter's particular strength is and how to make sure you balance a team based on those.

For example, if a trapper picks Griffin, I feel either the support should go with Bucket for the UAV or the medic should choose Val for the tranq dart. The UAV or to a lesser extent, the tranq, make up for Griffin's lack of pursuing abilities.

If someone choose Lazarus, I think the assault should go with Hyde or to a lesser extent, the support pick Hank. The toxic bombs can deter the monster from standing on a downed hunter, giving the Lazarus time to sneak in and res. Orbital strike can be used to similar effect.

I feel the general principle is you need some way of pursuing, some way of slowing and some way to deter the monster from beating on downed hunters. Appropriately pick hunters that will fulfill these roles.

You CAN choose hunters willy nilly and make it work but yeah I feel putting together actual teams that help each other with their weaknesses is where it's at, especially in higher level play against the monsters who only ever have to do their one thing.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Okay, I got this game on Xbox One and there's a 3GB update :(

Is there a list of people on that platform that I can add to my FL?

My GT is K4rooo.

Bru

Going to comb through this thread over the weekend and add Xbox players to my friends list.

Looking forward to putting in some quality hunting time (both on Evolve and MH4U) during my week off from work!

Bizazedo

My premade won last night due to the strike system. The Goliath had hit level 3 and came for the power relay. Our Trapper had two strikes and he went down extremely quickly....and started the dropship timer.

The rest of us kited the big guy around, dragging him into Markov mines, med beaming, etc., but slowly succumbed.

As the Assault finally went down last, and it took awhile....the dropship arrived and the three of us who had died came down, fully charged and full health, and blasted the nearly dead Goliath into wittle itty bitty pieces.

We started to joke that we were going to force the Trapper to die early on to get the dropship timing down, due to that.

Play with GAFfers

I'm with Circ. Like, I vastly prefer the Griffin / Val / Hank combo for Hunt as it's safer for the team, the sound spikes help us close down the map and find him quick, and the harpoon is also fantastic when timed right.

But it all depends on the team. Like, we tried a heavy heavy dps crew last night (Cabot, Parnell, etc.) and Lazarus was an awesome choice for the squad. We fought level 3 monsters 5 times last night, won 4, and only lost because we made a mistake.

So the best for each class depends on the team makeup.

Completely agree

I've personally made it a point to engage the Hunters ASAP if I make the observation that they aren't entirely on the same page.... that and to just rile them up because they're probably just expecting to run around for the next 10 minutes. Makes shit A LOT more interesting to remind yourself to actually use guerilla tactics.

Also, had a glorious match today where I led people around, Lved up to Stage 2 and then noticed one of them straggling behind. Hid in some bushes as a Goliath and pounced on him which was coincidentally right in front of a valley where the rest of them were up ahead. Basically after I dispatched the 1st guy, they put themselves in a kill box so I just spammed ground pound and fire.

I swear... the fucking rush you get when playing the monster is... well it's something I haven't legitimately felt in ANY game in a long time.
Like, heart's always beating fast, pulse quickens, etc., every damn time (^____^)

GravyButt

So I got 100% completed 1 star on the laser cutter for hank. Now every match I earn nothing to go towards the second star? How exactly does this work, im so confused.

I also have it with the lightning gun as well as the orbital strike and the shield for hank. I really dont understand why that bar is still at 100% but earning nothing towards the second star. Confused as heck..

Kathian

Banned
Do people find the game quite fluid in its gameplay? My big worry is its basically 'get to know your class and do exactly what needs to be done' rather than 'get to know your class and react to events accordingly.

BokehKing

Banned
Play with GAFfers

How are you getting these different game modes?
All I see is skirmish and evacuation mode

mbmonk

I swear... the fucking rush you get when playing the monster is... well it's something I haven't legitimately felt in ANY game in a long time.
Like, heart's always beating fast, pulse quickens, etc., every damn time (^____^)

I can honestly say I am glad Evolve exists, even if I don't buy it, because it is something different in the FPS genre. I love COD, Battlefield, Halo etc, but this is different experience and I am glad it was created.

Circinae

Neo Member
So I got 100% completed 1 star on the laser cutter for hank. Now every match I earn nothing to go towards the second star? How exactly does this work, im so confused.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong no doubt, but I believe it'll start to increase once you have met the one star requirement on all of Hank's equipment. Once you master tier one on all of the tools, you can then start mastering tier 2 and so on.

mbmonk

Are there any more techinical videos or sources out there? So for example, Goliath level 1 rock does X amount of damage. Level 2 rock does Y?

RS4-

Someone will correct me if I am wrong no doubt, but I believe it'll start to increase once you have met the one star requirement on all of Hank's equipment. Once you master tier one on all of the tools, you can then start mastering tier 2 and so on.

Yeah, to progress with hunters and monsters, you have to one star all their skills before moving up to the next skill tier and character unlock.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Waiting to stage 3 to engage is a huge waste of armor and opportunity. I go for the kill in Stage 2 and only go to 3 if the hunters start camping.

On another note, hit the top 25 with Kraken. Im feeling pretty cheap these days lol.

I used to attack at Stage 1 the moment I get fully armored, but Hunters on PC are getting much better so I try to hold back until Stage 2 now. Unless I find a straggler, of course.

mbmonk

I used to attack at Stage 1 the moment I get fully armored, but Hunters on PC are getting much better so I try to hold back until Stage 2 now. Unless I find a straggler, of course.

I feel like now could prime monster playing time in the games life cycle. It might take hunters longer to figure out how to communicate & combine their abilities, than it takes for a lone monster player to figure out how to combine his abilities. The monster player doesn't have to worry about how to coordinate his actions with others.

It should be interesting to see how things progress.

How can I change my character skin?
You can't, due to...

They've stated that making entirely new hunter skins is as extensive as modeling a whole new character since their models are so detailed, so instead of making skins now they are rather focusing on bringing out the new hunters.

A dev posted that on Reddit.
You could change the weapon skin, though. Either by buying it or getting 3 stars for a character

Side note: why does everyone love Lazarus? The glove is helpful at times, but his lack of actual healing makes him a liability if anything. It makes more sense to keep people from dying in the first place...

Top Bottom