• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

sjay1994

Just had some fun rounds with GAFfers.

I am getting the hang of Lazarus a lot more and feel that I have KINDA found why people would pick him.

Lazarus is SO GOOD.

Basically just focus on blasting the monster with the sniper rifle, use the healing burst for yourself or team mates that are in the red.

Let your teammates die, let the monster focus on killing them, then waltz over and pic them up after.

sjay1994

For those struggling against the wraith, a good hank player is its bane.

The portable shield can make super nova completely wasted.

SMZC

Lazarus is SO GOOD.

Basically just focus on blasting the monster with the sniper rifle, use the healing burst for yourself or team mates that are in the red.

Let your teammates die, let the monster focus on killing them, then waltz over and pic them up after.

Yup, this. I don't see how the two other medics even compare to Lazarus. Medics have a habit of dying at the start of every combat, so the mere fact that Lazarus is the only medic to have invisibility already puts him on top (I can't even begin to count the times where I barely got to play when choosing the two other medics). Plus, the ability to revive dead teammates is a huge frigging deal. Not only because of the obvious, but also because being revived by Lazarus makes it so that the revived character doesn't suffer for that death the negative effects of being taken down (that is, reduced health and instant death).

Good monsters learn that eating the corpses of people prevents them from being revived by Lazarus (which is good balance), but if you are aware of this and prevent the monster from eating them, Lazarus is invaluable in any team.

Klyka

Banned
Yup, this. I don't see how the two other medics even compare to Lazarus. Medics have a habit of dying at the start of every combat, so the mere fact that Lazarus is the only medic to have invisibility already puts him on top (I can't even begin to count the times where I barely got to play when choosing the two other medics). Plus, the ability to revive dead teammates is a huge frigging deal. Not only because of the obvious, but also because being revived by Lazarus makes it so that the revived character doesn't suffer for that death the negative effects of being taken down (that is, reduced health and instant death).

Good monsters learn that eating the corpses of people prevents them from being revived by Lazarus (which is good balance), but if you are aware of this and prevent the monster from eating them, Lazarus is invaluable in any team.

Lazarus has some pretty glaring flaws, especially against a monster that knows what it is doing.

I still like him though, he is good DPS

Realyn

And then someday you'll play against a good Kraken, he'll kill one person, go up in the air and spamm his auto attack onto the corpse until your cloak runs out. What now?

About the first part, Caira can easily keep herself alive against every level 1/2 monster. Medics don't have a built in habit of dying if you try to actually dodge damage.

Klyka

Banned
And then someday you'll play against a good Kraken, he'll kill one person, go up in the air and spamm his auto attack onto the corpse until your cloak runs out. What now?

About the first part, Caira can easily keep herself alive against every level 1/2 monster. Medics don't have a built in habit of dying if you try to actually dodge damage.

While the Kraken spams the corpse, three other hunters lay all their DPS into him.

As Lazarus, you don't revive while the monster is occupied with the corpse.
You get the hunters after they are fully dead, usually.

When the monster tries to corpse camp, you make it pay with full dps on it.
If the monster attacks someone else, you stealth revive in.
If the monster tries and goes for you, you cloak and flee.

Most important thing as lazarus is to sit at basically the edge of the fight in a position that allows you to escape quickly while constantly putting dps and weakpoints on the monster.

The whole team needs to understand that when Laz is with them, it's about spreading out so the monster can't multiple corpse camp or stay close to the corpse and to go for DPS as much as possible because of the constant weakpoints all over the monster.

When you think about it, Lazarus is actually mechanically the easiest Medic to play. He is literally "shoot or revive". That's it.
There is no big item juggling or "where to shoot my grenades", he is all "shoot shoot shoot shoot revive shoot shoot shoot".
The thing is, he is still difficult to play because you need to understand where to be, when to be where and you need to be able to read the monster well.
Oh and having a team that understands how you works helps a lot too ;)

I think that my GAFfer buddies from earlier can attest that a Lazarus is pretty damn helpful sometimes XD

Realyn

If the monster attacks someone else, you stealth revive in.

And that's exactly the situation I'm talking about. The monster starts to attack someone else and sees the cloak go down. All he has to do now is spamm the corpse for 7 seconds and after that he got free reign on Lazarus. You wrote all that down like the monster is brain dead and doesn't know what's going on.

Klyka

Banned
And that's exactly the situation I'm talking about. The monster starts to attack someone else and sees the cloak go down. All he has to do now is spamm the corpse for 7 seconds and after that he got free reign on Lazarus. You wrote all that down like the monster is brain dead and doesn't know what's going on.

A good Lazarus doesn't let the monster see the cloak go down.
That's why you are on the edge of the fight at all times.
And again, ok let him spam the corpse. The whole time he is getting DPSd while throwing stuff at a corpse.

And I do consider many a monster brain dead just as I consider many a hunter braindead.
It's week 1 of the game.
I mean, look at the people playing Wraith XD

Klyka

Banned
And when that guy suddendly dissapears, after nobody will notice it. Yeah ...

ha, ah well we can argue about this all we want, but who cares really?
Lazarus is still the weakest medic to have around against a good monster, but he can do some good shit if you know what to do.

it was fun playing earlier. I think the games would have gone a lot smoother if you played as the trapper since you knew the maps a lot better than us, but I guess it's probably boring. I personally don't like playing the trapper because failing a dome makes me feel like shit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Laz and support working in tandem with their cloaking is really powerful. It's one of the biggest strengths he has to work with.

Quadratic

I finally received my Amazon.ca order of Evolve today and I can't wait to start playing.

However, I was supposed to get a DLC code for pre ordering. I chatted with an Amazon rep and mentioned that my PS4 copy didn't get a code sent out. The CSR immediately posted a 15 digit code. But, PSN redeems 12 digit codes. I told the CSR this and they are sending my case to the marketing and promotions team.

Anyone else run into a similar situation? I understand there has been isses with Amazon and Evolve DLC. I thought the issues were resolved back on Feb 13th.

I've been playing a lot on PS4. This game is a ton of fun. But I need people to play with :) Just been playing with randoms and that can be...yeah.

My PSN is ScareGoat, so anyone feel free to add me if you want another person to party up with. I mostly play Medic or Support.

Klyka

Banned
it was fun playing earlier. I think the games would have gone a lot smoother if you played as the trapper since you knew the maps a lot better than us, but I guess it's probably boring. I personally don't like playing the trapper because failing a dome makes me feel like shit.

Trapper is my favorite class. I just wanted to play something else too.
The problem is that the Trapper is the most important class to play in many situations, so having someone new on it makes it harder.
That doesn't really matter to me though, cause if you are new, you need to play to learn.
No point in only letting the experienced people do the important stuff cause you'll never end up doing it yourself!

mbmonk

Join game with 4 man party, monster immediately leaves, proceed to play against AI for 8 games straight... because of the same thing

I think that is what happened to me last night ( I was the loner who would join, get assigned as the monster, and then quit ). Some people don't want to play the monster, much less against a party of 4. I played the monster one time, thinking I was going to get to rotate into a hunter next match.. soon as I got assigned the monster again I quit. I don't mind playing my least preferred role one time, but to put me in a lobby where I will never play anything else seems like a poor decision.

I don't know if there is a way to pull of matching with this game and it's systems. If it had a really high player population it might work, but with a low player population I think the match making flaws might become glaring.

Klyka

Banned
So is the only way to get the other characters to buy the Season Pass?

Is that all the Season Pass has?

Which "other characters" do you mean?

The season pass will give you 4 new hunters when they are released in a few months and it gives you 3 skins for the monsters which you get immediately.

A good Val on Tranq really helps dome fights because she can slow and highlight monsters for your team. This is important cause I've seen many battles play out where the monster gives the Hunters the slip in the dome and time is wasted with hide+seek.

Bucket's UAV just isn't worth the time+effort involved and potentially being hundreds of meters apart from teammates.

Making good use of SS on Parnell requires considerable luck and skill.
You both move around fast and you need to make those shots count from close up, gotta be precise. And luck because, the monster not picking you and knocking you down means no wasted SS time.

Papercuts

Woo, got the Abe elite skin.

Getting there with Goliath, but that one will take awhile. 80,000 midair fire breath damage on hunters...pls.

Dawg

AWWWW YEAH

Man, this was my most exciting battle yet. We fought off a level 3 monster at the last minute. Everyone died except me and people wanted to restart the round, but I said "NO!" and lured the monster to me while my friends were waiting on the drop ship. Instead of going for the core, he leapt at me and I used myself as bait. Once he was close to me, I used my cloak of invisibility and he lost me. Saved my team this way because those precious seconds gave them the time to respawn.

Man, I could feel he was angry because he kept attacking me from that point on :D I just used the buff gun (200%? damage from teammates if used on monster) and he went down really fast!

Damn this game can be really exiting in the right situation.

B-AobpoIMAE2Km4.jpg:large

RBK

Banned
Haven't played single-player yet, but I assumed it's just MP with bots?

Otherwise, really no point in playing it right?

minx

Just played a nest match were he monster started with a minion due to our prior loss. We destroy all eggs and he never hatched one and the minion he spawned with never showed up.... Even though it is suppose to follow him. So I'm guessing we had to kill the original minion to win and it glitches out.

AEREC

Wraith does seem pretty powerful...he's been the only Ive won as a monster so far. Im still pretty new (only 3-4 games as a monster) and haven't even unlocked the Kraken yet. I just happen to be thrown into a game as a Wraith. I may have just been playing against crappy hunters.

Papercuts

Haven't played single-player yet, but I assumed it's just MP with bots?

Otherwise, really no point in playing it right?

Yeah, it's bot matches. You also can unlock characters/mastery through it, and it's not a bad way to initially try a new hunter out or learn maps.

Just played a nest match were he monster started with a minion due to our prior loss. We destroy all eggs and he never hatched one and the minion he spawned with never showed up.... Even though it is suppose to follow him. So I'm guessing we had to kill the original minion to win and it glitches out.

Yeah, I think nest always gets wonky with that effect. They definitely have stuff to patch up.

Dawg

What kinda bothers me is when you join a match already in play and you have to continue as a character you don't own yourself. For some reason, I joined a match earlier in which I started as a fully evolved Wraith. I defeated the enemy team in no time but none of my scores did anything. I got +0 for everything because I don't own the wraith yet.

Just think that's kinda silly.

KaYotiX

Banned
Nothing but Wraiths today.......

WTF were they thinking with that monster? Its fucking stupid beyond belief. Don't bother chasing it, just sit and wait till its lvl 3.

Whoever designed that monster should be fired.

Nothing but Wraiths today.......

WTF were they thinking with that monster? Its fucking stupid beyond belief. Don't bother chasing it, just sit and wait till its lvl 3.

Whoever designed that monster should be fired.

Wraith = take a break or quit

Just not worth the time or effort.

Ardenyal

Past 2 days it's been nothing but wraiths for me so it's either that or vs AI. I've been playing the coop evacuation campaign since then. The AI goliath are assholes towards medics but it's still more fun than playing vs human wraiths.

Hey guys, hope I'm not posting in the wrong area but I just bought a copy of Evolve from GMG but before it completed the transaction it said that my offer timed out; I bought another copy, checked my e-mail and saw TWO Evolve serials there.

If anyone is looking for one, I'll trade it for a game(s) that equal $45 on Steam.

PM me if you're interested or have Steam games to trade.

Thanks!

Jaeger

Finally unlocked the Kraken earlier today. So much more fun than the Goliath. Should be very close to unlocking the next Assault character, too. Fun game.

derFeef

Just had some fun rounds with GAFfers.

I am getting the hang of Lazarus a lot more and feel that I have KINDA found why people would pick him.

Was really fun, but I have zero experience as trapper as I mostly palyed the medic class and I have not even unlocked any other character (one tranq dart left, heh).

Do the harpoon traps even work on the Wraith?

Gator86

Yup, I've finally hit that point. If I was playing with pre-mades or taking this super seriously I'd play it out. Just wasting some time with randoms in matchmaking, not even close to worth it. Literally anything else is a better use of my time than chasing a Wraith for 20 minutes for no reason.

Top Bottom