• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exciting GAF Air Dashers reporting/results thread

Joule

pm'd Troubled Bat the other day about when to play and he said he'd let me know so I hope we can do our match tonight.

I really can't be bothered to learn and get serious at older fighting games with an established community, especially as a newcomer to the genre. It's really intimidating, too.

That feeling is understandable, as that's how I felt when I first started GG like a year or so ago. The game always appears more intimidating in some aspects than it actually is. I learned things fairly quickly coming from BB, and I was able to adjust pretty well. I had my combos and mixups down for the most part (then I took a year off from the game...and we've seen what that's done). The metagame is fierce, but GG isn't a game where you can't play catch up. You just have to be willing to study and put the time into the game. That's what I plan on doing when +R hits the states.

I really can't be bothered to learn and get serious at older fighting games with an established community, especially as a newcomer to the genre. It's really intimidating, too.

I understand your concern, yes, it is intimidating when you think about how many players might have years of experience with the game ahead of you.

But, at the same time, you will probably never see more than a few of them (unless you go to Japan or live in California). The playerbase is pretty scattered thanks to the years. Hell, most of the "old guard" of NA GG has retired from the game already. The names from XX and #R probably won't show up online unless you asked them to- this applies to both here and JP.

On that regard, if by "established community" you mean we know each other on a name-by-name basis, that is also not true. The community may seem established/tight-knit/what-have-you only because it's small (and getting smaller). If the skill level is your concern, time has nothing to do with it. That'd be like saying there're no good NA players in BB or P4U because they haven't been around as long.

Is not the player pool for GG on GAF enough proof that there are still newer players? You have a sound base here to start and improve upon. If you truly like GG as a game, then it's never too late. And, if/when you ever find yourself at the depth where you think you want to knock on their doors, the old players will typically treat you to games because they like it, too.

FluxWaveZ

Is not the player pool for GG on GAF enough proof that there are still newer players? You have a sound base here to start and improve upon. If you truly like GG as a game, then it's never too late. And, if/when you ever find yourself at the depth where you think you want to knock on their doors, the old players will typically treat you to games because they like it, too.

I think you're misinterpreting my issue. It's not a fear of the community not being accommodating or a fear of my inability to improve at the game if I played enough, but it's that I need good reasons for me to take the time to get serious at a fighting game.

GG's playerbase isn't very big, from what I gather. I've never seen it being played when I've casually watched tournament streams. The game doesn't look great aesthetically to me when compared to modern fighting games. And all of that combined with the fact that I know so many people have had the time to get good at it when I would just be starting just adds to the fact that I don't want to get into it.

What appeals to me are popular new titles with a vibrant community where I can start on the same footing as everyone else, which motivates me to improve and spend time learning. It's why I played thousands of matches in Persona 4 Arena and ended up at the top of the worldwide leaderboards: because I started playing when practically everyone else did on consoles and for a plethora of other reasons, too. I'm planning to get serious with Xrd when it comes out, but I'm really not interested in playing old FG remakes or anything similar.

Fugu

For what it's worth, I will be picking up Guilty Gear in the coming weeks. I already sort of know how to play it but I need real skills.

I think you're misinterpreting my issue. It's not a fear of the community not being accommodating or a fear of my inability to improve at the game if I played enough, but it's that I need good reasons for me to take the time to get serious at a fighting game.

GG's playerbase isn't very big, from what I gather. I've never seen it being played when I've casually watched tournament streams. The game doesn't look great aesthetically to me when compared to modern fighting games. And all of that combined with the fact that I know so many people have had the time to get good at it when I would just be starting just adds to the fact that I don't want to get into it.

What appeals to me are popular new titles with a vibrant community where I can start on the same footing as everyone else, which motivates me to improve and spend time learning. It's why I played thousands of matches in Persona 4 Arena and ended up at the top of the worldwide leaderboards: because I started playing when practically everyone else did on consoles and for a plethora of other reasons, too. I'm planning to get serious with Xrd when it comes out, but I'm really not interested in playing old FG remakes or anything similar.

Will admit that casual viewing of GG tournament play will teach you nothing, especially if you're expecting the bang and flash of MvC3. Also, yes, you won't be "growing up" with as many players comparatively to the post '09 crowd.

Guess the only real incentive I've got to provide is if you like the feel of the game. If not, at least it was nice of you to give it a shot.

Rhapsody

Banned
For what it's worth, I will be picking up Guilty Gear in the coming weeks. I already sort of know how to play it but I need real skills.

I think you'll do great, personally. From playing you in BB, you'll pretty much get it.
It's hard to explain but the way you play just feels really solid, pretty much old school-like (for all I know you probably are lol) compared to some BB or P4A players I face. The stuff I got hit by didn't make me shake my head, but it feels... legit? lol

I dunno, but it's the same feeling when I play bagandscalpel. I didn't feel like you guys yolo'ed or took the easy way out.
I felt like the buttons you pressed had a reason and you figured out what moves to keep using by seeing what I struggled with.

To sum it up, it's one of those matches where I don't feel salty.

I'm pretty sure people already know, but online usually leaves me salty. It's frustrating getting hit on what should be my advantage and getting mashed out wakeup or getting reversaled on my frame traps.

Korigama

It's well past 8 p.m. EST now. Still no sign of my opponent as of yet.

EDIT: Preparing to play him now.

P4A round six
Korigama vs. Karsius
0-4

GGs. I suppose my number was up sooner or later.

Onemic

It's well past 8 p.m. EST now. Still no sign of my opponent as of yet.

EDIT: Preparing to play him now.

P4A round six
Korigama vs. Karsius
0-4

GGs. I suppose my number was up sooner or later.

ggs

I won 3-1 vs Karsius in BB.

GGs. I was so lost when my controls were so different in the first game.

ggs

This game is feels stupid when you don't really know how to play it or know all of its mechanics.(tech rolling forward, why you gotta not make it the opposite of tech rolling back arcsys)

Joule

I dunno, but it's the same feeling when I play bagandscalpel. I didn't feel like you guys yolo'ed or took the easy way out.
I felt like the buttons you pressed had a reason and you figured out what moves to keep using by seeing what I struggled with.
I can back that sentiment. Playing bagandscalpel was a good experience.

My thoughts on playing Guilty Gear is that it's the game I like the most so that why I want to play it. I only really played casually back in the the older days of Slash and AC and started to really play it with the release of the PSN/XBL version. So I'm still really lackluster but it's such a fun game that I don't care if I have to play 'catch up'.

Rhapsody

Banned
ggs

ggs

This game is feels stupid when you don't really know how to play it or know all of its mechanics.(tech rolling forward, why you gotta not make it the opposite of tech rolling back arcsys)

You can roll forward or back. Both give less invincibility than teching in place though, so doing so could lead you into getting hit again before fully recovering.

Onemic

You can roll forward or back. Both give less invincibility than teching in place though, so doing so could lead you into getting hit again before fully recovering.

I know how to roll back, but not forward. The input doesn't seem to be the same as rolling back.(teching while pressing forward instead of back) That makes the corner game free pickings if I ever touch it.

I can back that sentiment. Playing bagandscalpel was a good experience.

My thoughts on playing Guilty Gear is that it's the game I like the most so that why I want to play it. I only really played casually back in the the older days of Slash and AC and started to really play it with the release of the PSN/XBL version. So I'm still really lackluster but it's such a fun game that I don't care if I have to play 'catch up'.

I was practicing +R for a few days,(BBEX too) and then it occurred to me, "what's the point" when the only way I can ever really get better in this game is through online(since there is no air dasher scene in my area) and since +R online is just as bad as AC+ I'm pretty much just wasting my time trying to get better at a game where I won't play anyone. BBEX's issue is that no one goes online.(At least with a good connection) I guess I'm stuck with waiting for CP and Xrd to get better at Arcsys games.

Rhapsody

Banned
I know how to roll back, but not forward. The input doesn't seem to be the same as rolling back.(teching while pressing forward instead of back) That makes the corner game free pickings if I ever touch it.

Rolling forward actually is the same input as you think it is. It's just toward plus a button. If you're getting a really fast neutral tech right when touching a ground, that's like a quick get up on a "soft knockdown".

Teching forward isn't recommended though in the corner against a good player. At times it can work if the player isn't on their guard. It's why you see some players do 2A after knockdown. If the opponent rolls, they get picked up and lose even more damage.

It's risky and can pay off sometimes, kinda like doing an evasive action in Persona (although that can lead to even bigger punishes and shouldn't even work).

Fugu

Tech roll left: 4 + A/B/C
Tech roll right: 6 + A/B/C
Neutral/fast tech: 5 + A/B/C
No tech: Take hands off controller

Tech rolling out of the corner is nearly always a bad idea unless your opponent is in recovery or has made some kind of mistake due to it being slow and vulnerable. In many circumstances, the only option that won't get you hit immediately is to neutral tech. Having said that, if you can get away with tech rolling out of the corner, do it. Being near the corner is much better than being in it, especially if it puts your opponent's back to the corner and not yours.

I think you'll do great, personally. From playing you in BB, you'll pretty much get it.
It's hard to explain but the way you play just feels really solid, pretty much old school-like (for all I know you probably are lol) compared to some BB or P4A players I face. The stuff I got hit by didn't make me shake my head, but it feels... legit? lol

To sum it up, it's one of those matches where I don't feel salty.

I'm pretty sure people already know, but online usually leaves me salty. It's frustrating getting hit on what should be my advantage and getting mashed out wakeup or getting reversaled on my frame traps.
I haven't been playing traditional fighting games all that long, and I really just started with CT. I was a Melee player for a rather long time, however, and whenever I play BlazBlue I'm still basically just playing Melee.

I am mostly just really comfortable with Litchi and her design and tools are compatible with how I want to play her, so things generally work when I do them. I also don't really press a lot of buttons, which helps. I'm also not all that good, a fact that I'm reminded of all too often. There's still definitely a lot of holes in my game that need to be filled before I can do any better than a player who occasionally wins at locals.

In fact, one of my big hurdles with Guilty Gear is that I don't really feel comfortable with anyone. I've experimented with Baiken and Millia and I'll probably play one of the two. Jam is neat too but she's too ubiquitous in my area for me to feel like I can do anything new with her at this stage.

In fact, one of my big hurdles with Guilty Gear is that I don't really feel comfortable with anyone. I've experimented with Baiken and Millia and I'll probably play one of the two. Jam is neat too but she's too ubiquitous in my area for me to feel like I can do anything new with her at this stage.

Go figure, that's the same problem I had trying to BB, no, even other characters in GG. To me, none "fit" as well as Faust does. Even basic motion feels foreign.

Onemic

My issue for pretty much every fighting game aside from P4A and I dropped that game a while back. I probably came into the scene at the absolute worst time as all the modern titles have established playerbases that have been playing for years and no new fighter(CP half counts I guess) is on the horizon for the forseeable future. It's part of the reason why I constantly get frustrated playing FG's(and constantly switch characters) more than I should because everyones experience in playing these games are years ahead of my own, so when I lose I dont really understand why I lost as I'm still learning the tools of my character and the ins/outs of the game in general.

Rah. Please tell me somebody I have to play is on! /:

I just want to get things done already, things are just being complicated and i'm complicating things for others.

Fugu

My issue for pretty much every fighting game aside from P4A and I dropped that game a while back. I probably came into the scene at the absolute worst time as all the modern titles have established playerbases that have been playing for years and no new fighter(CP half counts I guess) is on the horizon for the forseeable future. It's part of the reason why I constantly get frustrated playing FG's(and constantly switch characters) more than I should because everyones experience in playing these games are years ahead of my own, so when I lose I dont really understand why I lost as I'm still learning the tools of my character and the ins/outs of the game in general.
The thing is is that you will actually never be on the ground floor of a fighting game. You could play one the day it comes out and you'll still be pretty far behind. This is because a huge percentage of fighting game skills are transferable: A player with good execution, a thorough understanding of mind games and experience with the concept and situations of one-on-one fighters (this is actually probably the biggest one) can take that to any fighting game and perform reasonably well after a comfort period.

You honestly just have to decide that you're going to be free for a few months (or more).

Go figure, that's the same problem I had trying to BB, no, even other characters in GG. To me, none "fit" as well as Faust does. Even basic motion feels foreign.
I don't even play other characters in BlazBlue. I've maybe played a half dozen rounds as Tager to give people a fighting chance in local games but that's it.

Joule

Just had my late replay match with Troubled Bat in P4A. He won 3-1.

ggs. The lag was quite a thing but oh well.

Uncle AJ

P4A: 0-4, Canti wins.

GGs.

This is me:

apefu.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
P4A Rhapsody vs Flux

1-3

*sigh* I'm salty at lag. I mashed DP during those super armor DPs of Shabrys. Also baited that GC at the end but whatever. :/

GGs

orpheus 4-0 irfaanator in p4a.

I think im just gonna drop out of p4a. No point in continuing when I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Top Bottom