• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 3 (F3AR) |OT| Sibling Rivalry

Danne-Danger said:
Here's a classic: http://www.abload.de/img/shoeu712.jpg

Also, read (almost) any review.

Maybe it's just my part of the world, but I've been writing about games for almost a decade, for some of the largest sites in my country, and I have yet to hear anything about anyone being bribed, paid or in any way forced to give a game a certain score.

And Dan's review is just what he wanted to say about it, has there been any clear cut "this dude got money and here is the factual evidence", and not just someone who disagrees with a score, or thinks something was written poorly?

DaBuddaDa

The_Darkest_Red said:
If this game ends up averaging a 7.5 or so I would be fairly impressed considering that Day 1's last game was Fracture.
I like to think Fracture was a bump in the road and not par for the course. Day 1 did make the MechAssault games after all.

This entire situation, though, reeks of a studio closure in the near future if this game doesn't somehow sell better than expected.

Gvaz said:
I've used them before for RFA, I didn't like it.

I wanted an HD stream, less lag, and ability to change graphics settings.

Surely you'll be able to tell whether you'll enjoy the game or not based on 30minutes?

I'm not saying buy the game or play the rest of the game on OnLive, I'm just saying use it as a demo to see if you like the actually gameplay.

Vinterbird said:
Maybe it's just my part of the world, but I've been writing about games for almost a decade, for some of the largest sites in my country, and I have yet to hear anything about anyone being bribed, paid or in any way forced to give a game a certain score.

And Dan's review is just what he wanted to say about it, has there been any clear cut "this dude got money and here is the factual evidence", and not just someone who disagrees with a score, or thinks something was written poorly?
Well what about that time EA handed out checks with was it... Dante's Inferno? Sure it went with the theme of the game (sort of) and yielded some funny PR, but reviewers still got handed a check with the game as far as I understood it. Look more to Gersman-gate and things like that, or the Eurogamer blacklist. It might be a bad idea to give games low scores at times, that's not really a secret.

DaBuddaDa said:
I like to think Fracture was a bump in the road and not par for the course. Day 1 did make the MechAssault games after all.

This entire situation, though, reeks of a studio closure in the near future if this game doesn't somehow sell better than expected.
Hopefully you're right about it being a bump in the road, the industry is always in need of a few more quality studios.

I do fear for their future based on how quiet F.E.A.R. 3 has been, though. The marketing and pre-release hype for this game has been almost completely non-existent it seems. Like I said earlier in this thread, it reminds me of Singularity.

Danne-Danger said:
Well what about that time EA handed out checks with was it... Dante's Inferno? Sure it went with the theme of the game (sort of) and yielded some funny PR, but reviewers still got handed a check with the game as far as I understood it. Look more to Gersman-gate and things like that, or the Eurogamer blacklist. It might be a bad idea to give games low scores at times, that's not really a secret.

The Dante's Inferno thing was not money and a game, it was just the money.

Gertsman was not publisher and editorial conflict, it was advertiser and management of Gamespot, which doesn't fall into the editorial realm (which is why so many publications are hoping for advertisements that is not related to the field they cover)

The Eurogamer thing is an editorial thing, but it is not being bribed, it is just PR reacting in a way they deem logical.

The_Darkest_Red said:
I do fear for their future based on how quiet F.E.A.R. 3 has been, though. The marketing and pre-release hype for this game has been almost completely non-existent it seems. Like I said earlier in this thread, it reminds me of Singularity.

They did have a ton of commercials, I never watch tv but on like the 10 minutes a day or so that I do, I saw an ad. A lot of people were actually complaining about seeing the ads so many times.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone picked this up on PC? Wondering if there is xbox gamepad support, and also if the game is locked at 16:9 like FEAR 2.

FlyinJ said:
Has anyone picked this up on PC? Wondering if there is xbox gamepad support, and also if the game is locked at 16:9 like FEAR 2.

Yeah J it says controller enabled on the Steam page, only reason I'm not getting this yet is I think it will drop in price fast due to the lack of hype.

Gvaz

Banned
SapientWolf said:
This will be sitting on my porch when I get home. If it stinks I'll rip it apart in as many words as you're willing to read.
I'll read them all, as I like the fear series a lot but was disappointed with the second.
Vinterbird said:

The gamespot kane and lynch (iirc) review, the recent 2k Games PR debacle, the metacritic debacles w/r/t self reviewing and basing funding or whatever on global scores, the fact that article just mentioned basically says the game sucks shit yet gives it a 100?

Quite a bit of critic reviews have these issues, in that what they give the game for a score doesn't reflect the content of the review.

In the end, they don't read the reviews, they look at the numbers.

SOLDIER

scorpscarx said:
Yeah J it says controller enabled on the Steam page, only reason I'm not getting this yet is I think it will drop in price fast due to the lack of hype.

Again, I can't get my controller (wireless Xbox 360 gamepad) to work. I'm not sure why, and I currently can't find a fix for it.

Has anyone had a similar issue, and hopefully a resolution?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gvaz said:
I'll read them all, as I like the fear series a lot but was disappointed with the second.

The gamespot kane and lynch (iirc) review, the recent 2k Games PR debacle, the metacritic debacles w/r/t self reviewing and basing funding or whatever on global scores, the fact that article just mentioned basically says the game sucks shit yet gives it a 100?

Quite a bit of critic reviews have these issues, in that what they give the game for a score doesn't reflect the content of the review.

In the end, they don't read the reviews, they look at the numbers.
My perspective might be pretty unique, because I never played the second and I just grabbed the first one off my backlog last week. I'll be playing FEAR 3 and the original campaigns concurrently.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Day 1 Studios did a fantastic job of porting F.E.A.R. to the Xbox 360
Really? I thought they could've done a much better job: I wasn't satisfied at all.

I'll get this used. F.E.A.R. 2 was good, but nowhere near the 'wow' factor the first had for me. This... It looks fun, but not €60-fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Well I guess I'm going to have to be the guineapig. Since it's a steamworks game and it can be had for only £24 on D2D I thought fuck it because it's going to be a looong time before the game is going to be sub £20. I even bought the fear collection on steam for 10 euro.

Guess I'm soo sick of "modern fps's" that I'd rather play a mediocre crazy fps than your run of the mill military shooter set in reduntizistan.

Here's hoping these early reviews have a shed of truth in them.

Corky said:
Well I guess I'm going to have to be the guineapig. Since it's a steamworks game and it can be had for only £24 on D2D I thought fuck it because it's going to be a looong time before the game is going to be sub £20. I even bought the fear collection on steam for 10 euro.

Guess I'm soo sick of "modern fps's" that I'd rather play a mediocre crazy fps than your run of the mill military shooter set in reduntizistan.

Here's hoping these early reviews have a shed of truth in them.

Thanks! In depth thoughts or it didn't happen! :)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
YEAHH i feel like a damn BOSS right now.

I was able to get my local Walmart to honor the TRU deal so i was able to get this for the price i wanted :)

Now to wait for my friend to get his and start some coop.

U2NUMB

I am really enjoying the game so far.. Visually I think it is right there with Fear 2 but it sure is smooth so far. I really also enjoy the rank/challenge system they have in place and the level system which you gain no matter where you play.

Also glad I pre ordered at gamestop.. free copy of Fear 2 with pick up..

This game I think deserves more hype.. I am very pleased so far.

JesseZao

Played the onlive trial and it feels pretty solid. Still need to try the multiplayer out. Might just pick this up when it's on sale.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ok, just beat the first level. I'll just throw out some quick PC impressions:

Difficulty- Fearless difficulty is pretty fucked up. I started to have second thoughts after about the 20th or the 30th time I had to restart the first firefight. It's intense though.

Graphics- The graphics settings are really limited. There seems to be some kind of motion blur and blurry custom AA that I would rather not have on. The fraps counter never budges from 60fps, and mouselook is smooth but the framerate appears to drop when you start walking. The particle and bullet time post processing effects aren't nearly as good as FEAR 1's.

AI- AI is a mixed bag. They don't seem to be as smart or sneaky as the grunts in FEAR 1. Partly because of level design but partly because they're overly aggressive. Especially the shotgunners. However, they're accurate, they use cover well and they're not stingy with grenades. They will flank and blind fire, and they won't just line up to be mowed down.

Cover System- The cover system is well done. Which is good because you'll need it. It is very much a battle of maneuver. If you get flanked or caught in the open you will quickly be torn apart. You use Q to take cover, and the movement keys let you look over it. It feels surprisingly natural for an FPS.

Sound- Bullet impact sounds are fantastic. The radio chatter is still there. But the weapons sound a little on the puny side. They could all use a healthy helping of bass.

Length- Steam says I played 77 minutes. The game clock at the end of the level said I played 28:44.

Level Design- There's a whole suite of challenges for each level, for the perfectionists. The level design does a better job than the original of hiding how linear it is. But I miss the feeling you got in FEAR 1 that you were constantly surrounded. You're typically moving across an invisible front-line now.

It won't replace the original, but it seems like a solid shooter so far. There are a few technical issues with the port that I hope get sorted out but it's far better than what I was expecting.

Animator said:
Firefights in this game is much more like fear 1 than fear 2.

Really liking the game so far.
Sold. Especially with Amazon's $20 credit deal.

One question: The IGN review mentioned a robust points system that crosses all game modes. What do you do with the points? Is it purely for score purposes like leaderboards? Or are there unlocks or something to buy with the points?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
derFeef said:
Thanks SapientWolf, sounds solid. How is the atmosphere?
Seems to be grittier than the original. It's not as sterile and uniform. You're not stuck in office buildings anymore either. No jump scares or anything like that yet, but the opening cinematics were twisted. The lighting is easily the highlight.

I got past the 3rd level. Amazing level IMO. You gotta play it to understand. Put some time into mutliplayer. I really like the twists they have taken. Soul King is fun. Soul Survivor is good. F*cking run is intense. I haven't played the horde mode yet, so I can't comment on that. So far I'm enjoying Fear 3.

Corky

Ah phooey! I forgot I'm part of the 2nd class citizen brigade and the game doesn't unlock for me until another almost 48hours.

The best thing I've ever heard about by the game just now was sapientwolf saying that the combat/gunplay feels more like that of fear 1. That game had some of the best combat EVER. Soo good.

Hopefully this thing turns around and goes from a pretty anti-hype game set up for dissapointment to something suprisingly decent and enjoyable. Maybe we'll even have a couple of gaffers interested in some multiplayer goodness.

Kydd BlaZe

Blue Ninja said:
Really? I thought they could've done a much better job: I wasn't satisfied at all.
I had a blast with it, and still pop it in from time to time. It runs great, feels great, and (at the time) looked great. Not sure how people consider it to be a bad port. The PS3 version, however is another story...

derFeef

Corky said:
Ah phooey! I forgot I'm part of the 2nd class citizen brigade and the game doesn't unlock for me until another almost 48hours.

The best thing I've ever heard about by the game just now was sapientwolf saying that the combat/gunplay feels more like that of fear 1. That game had some of the best combat EVER. Soo good.

Hopefully this thing turns around and goes from a pretty anti-hype game set up for dissapointment to something suprisingly decent and enjoyable. Maybe we'll even have a couple of gaffers interested in some multiplayer goodness.
If it can replicate that "Holy shit I can barely hold that gun while shooting" feeling of FEAR1 I am buying that in an instant.

Also - some screenshots would be nice :)

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Just played 3 1/2 hours of coop on PS3.

Overall game is a blast coop. I'm loving the smooth and pretty intuitive cover system, gunplay is damn satisfying, the gore is pretty brutal(shoot the faces of the dead civilians in the favela level and see what i mean), and the little challenges you do while playing is interesting, earning points and leveling up keeps things pretty fresh and fun.

On the PS3 version, it runs pretty smooth for the most part actually. Has some frame drops in intense situations, and can look a bit bland/muddy sometimes, but i like the motion blur effect they're using and haven't seen any screen tearing at all so far.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Corky said:

The gunplay is like a cracked out amalgamation of Fear and Gears. The only real letdown is the graphics engine.

Amir0x

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Ok, just beat the first level. I'll just throw out some quick PC impressions:

Difficulty- Fearless difficulty is pretty fucked up. I started to have second thoughts after about the 20th or the 30th time I had to restart the first firefight. It's intense though.

oh thank God. I played F.E.A.R. 2 on the most difficult level and it was the easiest game ever. Its most difficult level was easier than most other games Normal.

I'm thinking I will pick this up. If only for "The Wall"

EDIT: Omg Soul mode sounds amazing too:

For instance, Soul King is a mode that pits gamers against one another as ghastly creatures that can possess enemies around them. As zombies and soldiers do battle on the map, you'll be able to possess them, turning their weapons on fellow players. All dead enemies drop souls, and by collecting souls, you earn points. Hanging on to those points by the time the clock runs out is the real challenge here. On the other hand, Contractions is styled after Call of Duty's Zombie Mode in that you and your teammates are tasked with protecting a static location from incoming waves of enemies, all the while keeping yourself stocked-up with weapons.

This is going to be a cult classic multiplayer mode. Soul mode sounds like the mod GOLD RUSH on RTCW mixed with, uh, soul possession. BAD ASS.

Ken

AwesomeSauce said:
Just played 3 1/2 hours of coop on PS3.

Overall game is a blast coop. I'm loving the smooth and pretty intuitive cover system, gunplay is damn satisfying, the gore is pretty brutal(shoot the faces of the dead civilians in the favela level and see what i mean), and the little challenges you do while playing is interesting, earning points and leveling up keeps things pretty fresh and fun.

On the PS3 version, it runs pretty smooth for the most part actually. Has some frame drops in intense situations, and can look a bit bland/muddy sometimes, but i like the motion blur effect they're using and haven't seen any screen tearing at all so far.
Is there split screen coop? Also, do both players play as Point Man or is one Fettel? If it's the latter, how differently do each characters play?

Jaroof

This game is a blast.
For those just starting, make sure to put it on Hard.
My brother and I must have played this game for like 4 hours straight.. and had to force ourselves to stop.
I swear, this game is almost up there with Resident Evil 5 on the fun scale.. with coop, that is. So good.

Ken said:
Is there split screen coop? Also, do both players play as Point Man or is one Fettel? If it's the latter, how differently do each characters play?

Yes, there's split screen.
One player plays as Point Man, the other as Fettel. Point Man plays exactly as you'd expect him to...
Fettel plays pretty differently. He doesn't use guns, but instead uses his psychic abilities. You can shoot energy blasts at enemies until his hand "overheats", melee, give Point Man a short defense boost, and lift enemies up with this telekinesis-like ability. Once you've got a hold on an enemy using that ability, you can take over their body and then proceed to use weapons.
You know how Point Man has that little bar for his reflex meter? Fettel has the same bar, except it's called the spirit meter, and it measures how long he's able to possess a body. It slowly drains while you're possessing someone, but you can kill other enemies and pick up something they drop (not sure what it is) to extend your bar and prolong your time inside the body.
There are three ways to leave a body:
1. Run out of your spirit meter.
2. Get killed.
3. "Commit suicide" and make the body explode.

I've been playing as Fettel only, and it's pretty awesome :D

Moofers

Those impressions sound awesome. Thanks, guys. I can't wait to finally go pick it up today. The wait has been agonizing.

Horns

It includes the shortest manual for a console game ever. It only has a single sheet of glossy paper that makes the cover sheet of the front and back covers. That makes a total of 4 pages for the manual including the cover pages.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Horns said:
It includes the shortest manual for a console game ever. It only has a single sheet of glossy paper that makes the cover sheet of the front and back covers. That makes a total of 4 pages for the manual including the cover pages.

I've seen a few other recent games with the same thing. Crazy.

eshwaaz

Picked this up at K-Mart yesterday along with Shadows of the Damned because of the $20 gaming coupon, but was really unsure if I would keep it. Positive impressions here are encouraging, but the inconsistent review comments about the length of the game are still making me hesitant.

vocab said:
Not even close. No game has the balls to match FEAR 2 ending.

:( I saw FEAR 2's ending, that was crazy.

Does Point Man speak in the game? Or have we got yet another silent sociopath to tear through the world with?

I'm so glad to hear you're all having so much fun with this, while I am stuck here, in the UK, waiting for Steam to unlock the game on Friday morning...

Seriously though thanks for the impressions, it sounds like FEAR fans are going to enjoy this and that's all I needed to know. SapientWolf (or anyone playing the PC version) can you tell me if there is an option to turn off the crappy film grain effect, as there was in F2, or is that gone in F3 anyway?

Corky

Appollowexx said:
I'm so glad to hear you're all having so much fun with this, while I am stuck here, in the UK, waiting for Steam to unlock the game on Friday morning...

We're in the same boat. Let's hug it out.

Top Bottom