• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 3 (F3AR) |OT| Sibling Rivalry

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Appollowexx said:
I'm so glad to hear you're all having so much fun with this, while I am stuck here, in the UK, waiting for Steam to unlock the game on Friday morning...

Seriously though thanks for the impressions, it sounds like FEAR fans are going to enjoy this and that's all I needed to know. SapientWolf (or anyone playing the PC version) can you tell me if there is an option to turn off the crappy film grain effect, as there was in F2, or is that gone in F3 anyway?
There are several layers of ruinous post-processing effects that I would love to turn off, but graphics menu is pretty barebones. Maybe we'll get a patch down the road. For now I just grit my teeth and take solace in the fact that I don't notice the IQ issues as much when the action heats up.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Appollowexx said:
I'm so glad to hear you're all having so much fun with this, while I am stuck here, in the UK, waiting for Steam to unlock the game on Friday morning...

Seriously though thanks for the impressions, it sounds like FEAR fans are going to enjoy this and that's all I needed to know. SapientWolf (or anyone playing the PC version) can you tell me if there is an option to turn off the crappy film grain effect, as there was in F2, or is that gone in F3 anyway?

There is something even worse in Fear 3 on PC. When you strafe, the game seems to render a light motion blur frame and a solid regular frame at the same time. This gives textures and objects an awful jittering effect. It's maddening. And no option to turn off motion blur (of course not).

Thread about it here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939912

Great PC SKU testing there Warner. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: Here's a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-41ENFKYZbc&hd=1

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout 3: NV have similar problems on the PC.

FlyinJ said:
There is something even worse in Fear 3 on PC. When you strafe, the game seems to render a light motion blur frame and a solid regular frame at the same time. This gives textures and objects an awful jittering effect. It's maddening. And no option to turn off motion blur (of course not).

Thread about it here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939912

Great PC SKU testing there Warner. Thanks a lot.
No config file that can be edited?

BadTaste105 said:
Is the game even scary? I thought that was the POINT of FEAR?
Its kindof hard to be truly scary when you're heavily armed and armored, have plenty of ammo, and can slow down time to murderize fools.

Its just my kind of horror though :) If I'm going to be unnerved, at least give me some nice weaponry and tricks so I can toss that fear right back at the enemies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Rodney McKay said:
No config file that can be edited?

Nope. The settings file is stored as a binary, and someone was able to decode it and there wasn't an option for motion blur in it.

FlyinJ said:
Sounds bad. But when I watched that video it didn't seem very apparent to me - sure it's visable slowed down from 60fps to 15fps but as soon as they were running it at 30 (half speed) it almost disappeared completley, so i suspect running at full speed it wouldn't bother me.

Still I hate it when developers port to PC, especially when it's a PC franchise, and I hate it even more when they limit customization. That's just plain bad and there's no reason for it.

bumpkin

Awwww yeah... Last night I printed off a copy of the PDF that Wario posted of TRU's (buy 2 for $50) promo and brought it to my local Best Buy, and they were willing to price match it! I got FEAR 3 for myself and Mortal Kombat for my brother in-law's birthday present. The only condition -- and YMMV on this -- was that the nearest Toys R Us needed to have the games you want to buy in stock. If they do, you should be golden.

Appollowexx said:
Still I hate it when developers port to PC, especially when it's a PC franchise, and I hate it even more when they limit customization. That's just plain bad and there's no reason for it.
I agree with you and am not trying to give them excuses, but maybe it helps with testing and customer support? Fewer options mean less configurations to test and less support calls for those kind of issues?

ultron87

This game does have the reflex stuff when you're Point Man, right?

I was watching the first half of the Giant Bomb Quick Look and I don't think he went slow motion once. But then Ryan didn't really seem to care much about showing the game in the best light.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Appollowexx said:
Sounds bad. But when I watched that video it didn't seem very apparent to me - sure it's visable slowed down from 60fps to 15fps but as soon as they were running it at 30 (half speed) it almost disappeared completley, so i suspect running at full speed it wouldn't bother me.

It is extremely apparent when you are playing the game, trust me. You will see ghosting on everything when you walk and rotate your viewpoint at the same time. If you're rotating the viewpoint while stationary, it doesn't happen.

I'm running at a solid 60fps (I think it's locked to 60 fps), and there is ghosting everywhere.

ArjanN

ultron87 said:
This game does have the reflex stuff when you're Point Man, right?

I was watching the first half of the Giant Bomb Quick Look and I don't think he went slow motion once. But then Ryan didn't really seem to care much about showing the game in the best light.

Yes, Ryan just wasn't using it. That whole quicklook was pretty bad.

FlyinJ said:
there is ghosting everywhere.

Heh.

BadTaste105 said:
Is the game even scary? I thought that was the POINT of FEAR?

Have you played the other FEAR games? It was always about 70% John Woo action + 30% Ringu.

Untracked

I was going to wait till this came down in price a bit, but after watching some videos I decided to pre-order it.
Slo-Mo sniping looks sweet. Now I just need to convince some friends to get it, so I can play co-op.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gvaz said:
You mean living in europe?

Yeap :[

In the old days I understood how the plethora of languages would delay physical disc releases and localization and all that. But come the fuck on, just flip the switch when it comes to DD.

derFeef

Corky said:
Yeap :[

In the old days I understood how the plethora of languages would delay physical disc releases and localization and all that. But come the fuck on, just flip the switch when it comes to DD.
I enjoy the occasional cases where we get the games earlier. Recently Duke Nukem Forever and Dungeon Siege 3.

bluedeviltron said:
Is this living up to the first in any way, shape or form?

Replaying it right now and I'm blown away by how much fun it still is.

Doesn't look like it, from what I've been reading everywhere. I haven't actually played the game yet, but plan to do so soon. I doubt it will live up to the original, as the original is a classic.

I've been replaying the first game in the last two days....

The repeating and never ending office maze is truly terrible, it really ruins the game for me now.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
scorpscarx said:
I've been replaying the first game in the last two days....

The repeating and never ending office maze is truly terrible, it really ruins the game for me now.

Personally, I think it's the best entry in the series.

They just need to have a PC QA team.

BigNastyCurve said:
Do I need to hit up FEAR 1 & 2 before diving into this one? I think I have both sitting on my shelf...partially played....sigh.
Yes.
They have a continuing storyline that is actually pretty decent, and are both amazing playthroughs. The atmosphere in the first game is fantastic and there are a number of genuine scares. I've just replayed them in prep for the third and forgot how short they are (F1 - 6-7hrs, F2 -4-5hrs).

Go for it!

scorpscarx said:
The first game definatley suffers from limited environments during the first half of the game, but that labs and run down buildings near the end were a nice change of scenery.

FlyinJ said:
Personally, I think it's the best entry in the series.

They just need to have a PC QA team.

I think it is the best in the series too, but even when I first played it (I think this is like my fourth play through on PC), I found that huge chunk of the game in the office building so very... very... grating.

Stitch

Gold Member
I'm playing trough the F.E.A.R. games right now, completed the first one, I'm now somewhere in the middle of the second one.

Well the new HUD is stupid, the lightning and effects are less impressive, the AI is dumber and the shotguns feel really weak... but overall it's alright.

For some reason i can't bind anything to the delete and backspace keys.

Is this possible in F.3.A.R. (or whatever it is called...)?

Symphonic

Haven't dove into the campaign yet, figured I'd give some impressions of the 4-5 hours I've spent on the multiplayer. Obviously if you don't want the modes spoiled for whatever reason, don't read this post.

All multiplayer modes are 4 or less players. Sound weird, yeah, but they're designed around that and it works.

Contractions:
As people have said, this mode is like a horde or zombies mode. You hold up in a base and try and survive waves of enemies. They get harder and harder and by the 10th wave it's damn difficult. After each wave you can venture out into the map to find cargo boxes to bring back to your base, which adds certain weapons and ammo. There's usually 2 or 3 yellow boxes which add normal weapons and ammo, and 1 red box which adds a special weapon (sniper, missile launcher, railgun, etc).

The biggest map has a mech in it, so you or a friend can grab the mech and fight against other enemies and other mechs, which are exclusive to that level. This is probably the funnest Contractions map, in my opinion, both for the mech player and the regular players.

Fucking Run:

Pretty straight forward, you run from a giant wall of death while gunning down enemies. Rounds last 1 or 2 minutes on average, you're lucky to get past 2 minutes. When the wall gets close, the screen and volume pounds and shakes and what not. It's pretty intense.

Soul King:
Soul King is pretty much deathmatch with a twist. You're all ghouls and the goal is to possess soldier bots that are fighting around the map and take out other bots/players to collect souls. When you kill a bot, they give a small amount of soul points. When you kill a player, they give a certain percentage of what points they have. The person with the most soul points is the "Soul King". The only difference between the Soul King and normal players is that normal players can see where each other are. Soul Kings are blind to where others players are, which makes it impossible to distinguish between the bots and the players.

You can only do damage while you're possessing a soldier. As a ghoul, you can only blur people's vision.

Soul Survivor:
This is probably my favorite mode. One person at the start of the round is make a ghoul, and the goal of the ghoul is to convert the other 3 players into ghouls by possessing bot soldiers around you, gunning down the players, and standing over them and holding E. The goal of the other 3 players is to survive the constant waves of bot soldiers and, of course, the ghoul.

Each game mode has 3 maps, for a total of 12 maps. Me and my friend have had a blast so far, and are looking forward to trying out the campaign tonight.

Thanks loblaw. Never even thought about multpiayer with this, but all of those modes sound like great fun. Are there any modes you can run solo?

Symphonic

NullPointer said:
Thanks loblaw. Never even thought about multpiayer with this, but all of those modes sound like great fun. Are there any modes you can run solo?

You can do all of them in "Solo Practice" mode, so they're all playable solo.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ultron87 said:
God if I had a nickle for every time I read something about Giant Bomb along these lines, I would have the next Steam sale paid off.

shintoki said:
I love how the Multiplayer is sounding.

When I first heard about the modes, I didn't really think I would have fun with them. 4 people only, but they are a blast. I still haven't played the Zombie mode yet, but the other 3 are really a lot of fun. Got through 2 of the F*cking run maps to the end and it's a blast to play if you can make it all the way. It does take time to learn the levels. I got stuck at one point in the graveyard level with this tree trunk you have to climb at a certain spot. Man it was messed up jumping up and down frantically as the music started to get louder only to be consumed by the wall of death.

wow multiplayer sounds ace B^)

was there an online pass that you needed to use to play online? I'm planning on renting this at reb box cause i'm saving cash.

friskykillface said:
wow multiplayer sounds ace B^)

was there an online pass that you needed to use to play online? I'm planning on renting this at reb box cause i'm saving cash.

Yeah the pass downloads extra maps. Xbox version I'm playing so I don't know if the other ones have it.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
~Kinggi~ said:
That IGN review sounds suspect as shit.

lol, no

que?

Have you played the game?

I've got to admit that playing late night with headphones, some of those shock moments did make me jump. It is kind of a cheap scare, but damn does it still get me haha.

eshwaaz

I got about an hour into the campaign, and I can't say the game has made a very good first impression. There's been plenty of gunplay, but the weapons feel and sound extremely weak and the enemies go down like they have no mass. The combat just doesn't have any punch.

I'm definitely not throwing in the towel, but it's certainly off to a disappointing start.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Just finished it (typing on my phone so the grammar might be suspect), and while it hits many points that were key to the last two fear titles for me, the experience was a little lackluster (sp only, haven't jumped into mp yet).

Without spoiling anything I'll just say that a lack of weapons (especially when compared to the previous two) combined with a feeling of repetition that permeated the game was only hampered even more so by almost zero spooky and/or scary moments.

It left me feeling a tad bit deflated after it was all said and done.

Yes, I know that horror is subjective - but the first two titles did a much better job at leaving me uneasy about traversing an area, even fully equipped; while this game wanted to just throw enemies and LOUD NOISES out every once in awhile (boo scares signaled via sound is a JCarpenter standard, so it shouldn't be a surprise) to compensate. Perhaps it had to do with the constant narrating done by Paxton, or that by this point we already know what's going on with the plot, but something just felt off as far as the story/narrative/horror went.

Now I know, a 'feeling' isn't a quantifiable way to rate or explain something, but that's the only way I can really put it. The combat is great, framerate is super solid, controls while piloting mechs is spot on, etc - but when it was all said and done I just didn't feel very satisfied from the sp experience as a whole.

After finishing this I REALLY want to know what Monolith is up to that was so important that they didn't finish out one of their flagship titles/franchises and let another company take over.

MrWhitefolks said:
Just finished it (typing on my phone so the grammar might be suspect), and while it hits many points that were key to the last two fear titles for me, the experience was a little lackluster (sp only, haven't jumped into mp yet).

Without spoiling anything I'll just say that a lack of weapons (especially when compared to the previous two) combined with a feeling of repetition that permeated the game was only hampered even more so by almost zero spooky and/or scary moments.

It left me feeling a tad bit deflated after it was all said and done.

Yes, I know that horror is subjective - but the first two titles did a much better job at leaving me uneasy about traversing an area, even fully equipped; while this game wanted to just throw enemies and LOUD NOISES out every once in awhile (boo scares signaled via sound is a JCarpenter standard, so it shouldn't be a surprise) to compensate. Perhaps it had to do with the constant narrating done by Paxton, or that by this point we already know what's going on with the plot, but something just felt off as far as the story/narrative/horror went.

Now I know, a 'feeling' isn't a quantifiable way to rate or explain something, but that's the only way I can really put it. The combat is great, framerate is super solid, controls while piloting mechs is spot on, etc - but when it was all said and done I just didn't feel very satisfied from the sp experience as a whole.

After finishing this I REALLY want to know what Monolith is up to that was so important that they didn't finish out one of their flagship titles/franchises and let another company take over.

Condemned 3?

Decided to give it a shot. Can't beat $47 + $20 credit on Amazon (PC version).

I'm balls-deeping through FEAR and FEAR 2 before it arrives.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Ok then, multiplayer is definitely win. Fucking Run is L4D but weeds out shitty teams, is fast paced and requires legit teamwork at all times. Contractions is Nazi zombies, except they shoot you, fixing windows is limited to a specific window of time (pun intended), you can't just purchase items (gotta go bring weapon crates back - and you can't return fire while doing so, so you need backup), AND Alma walks around griefing your team as the match goes on (she made me go blind completely for a good five seconds).

I'm SO happy with the backend of this title, that all the above complaints are moot. Super fun with a competent team, so if you have this - get your friends and go to town.

Symphonic

Varna said:
Please someone spoil it for me. I might pick this game up later during a sale, but not today.

The last boss is the memory of the scientist that messed with you and Alma. He takes the form of some giant monster thing.
Point Man ending, you find Alma disgustingly bloated pregnant, kill Paxton Fettel (for the second time) and take Alma's baby to raise. Fettel ending, you find Alma, possess Point Man, take Alma's baby, and then eat Alma.

The single player was fun gameplay-wise, but almost EVERY LEVEL was a blatant copy from some other game. It also wasn't scary at all, I would classify it as a thriller more than horror. The mech parts were awesome, though.

Multiplayer is where it's at for this game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Got the game, I hope it's not as short as people say.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Condemned 3?

Nah,former Monolith guy said Condemned is dead IP now.

element said:
Sadly Condemned is pretty much a dead franchise at this point. I'd personally love to revisit it. I think there were some great opportunities with the sequel and possibly a third game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22369959&postcount=31

element said:
Nope. WB owns it outright. Just doubtful that they would invest in a sequel. The sales weren't there for the sequel.

I think WB will most likely force Monolith to make movie-licensed games ( Inception?) or more Batman games.

Top Bottom