• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

DavidDesu

Had this for a couple of days on PS4. Handles pretty well but I'm playing on a controller and there's a seriously annoying issue with that..

If you change direction the steering always stops momentarily at the centre point before continuing to turn. So snaking corners where you have a quick direction change have that slight pause in turning. If you lose the back end and need to quickly counter steer to correct it doesn't do what you're telling it to do as it has the pause in the middle. This really messes me up sometimes as I'm trying to correct the car but the game is basically fighting against me with that weird delay in response. Even if you just sit still and go full lock to full lock you'll see what I'm talking about.

By the way the Advanced Wheel Settings do actually affect the analogue controller settings as well, I didn't notice this at first. I put steering linearity at about 20 and it definitely made it handle much better than default settings.

Overall having fun. Expert seems to be my decent level, Legend seems a bit out of reach, or I'd need to be absolutely perfect every single lap to have a chance. Game handles well and I think the career mode is going to be great. Graphics look decent but the cars don't move right in the replay views, something about the front end of the car not turning in properly doesnt look authentic, kinda reminds me of old racing games where the whole car pivots on a centre point, anyone else see it?

LostDonkey

Does PS4 hold 60 frames pretty well? I might get PC version but that means installing a Windows setup on my hackintosh...easy enough I guess.

Edit: and controller options on PC?

"As the PS4 version is well done, but clearly it recycled to 90% from F1 2015. The engine holds smoothly sixty frames per second, even on the most challenging tracks like Monaco and Baku regards texture and polygonal detail of the tracks, departure and during the races. The graphical interface has been refreshed and also the loading times seem optimized."

Thats taken from the Italian Eurogamer website and translated into English.

http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2016-08-19-f1-2016-recensione

They gave it a 7/10

kiyomi

Seems I'm unable to run this maxed out at 1080p with a 970, 4690K, 16GB RAM. Kinda expected it but I was little disappointed by how jittery it was even after turning down a couple of settings. The Ultra mirrors are very demanding, like a 20+ FPS drop. Which is a shame, because the mirrors are pretty ugly overall and run at a reduced frame rate.

I'm not on the game-ready Nvidia drivers though, so perhaps those will help? I'm a bit concerned for when the rain starts and there are 22 cars on track.

Right now I'm running a mix of High and Medium settings to nail a consistent 60FPS, especially since I need to run SMAA+TAA for the game to not look aliased as fuck. Seriously, the standard SMAA solution in this game makes it look a jaggy mess. I may yet turn further settings down to get SMAA+DSR going because I find TAA a little blurry at times. Apart from that the game looks fine. Nothing special, but acceptable.

As for the game itself, I've played about an hour. I chose McLaren for some unknown reason, on the highest difficulty/Ultimate, and getting my ass handed to me in the first practice session.

Initially I found the handling quite loose [playing on a 360 controller] on my first lap out of the pits - I had a major feeling of disconnect from the way the car moved, but I turned down the relatively minor acceleration/braking/turn deadzones/saturations to almost zero and found an immediate improvement. I also found that bringing in the FOV and moving the cockpit camera forward slightly helped a lot, and now I feel quite a bit more 'connected' to the car.

I'm about 6 seconds off the pace, and although I don't really find the handling that difficult, braking is quite tricky because it often feels like the rears are going to lock on you even with a front bias. I just don't trust the brakes yet.

The practice tasks seem cool, and I like the fact they included a DRS "zone" for the track acclimatisation task. It rewards you for hitting the button promptly which will be good for newer players. I didn't really manage the tyre wear task, but again, it seems really neat to teach people how to look after their tyres and why that's important. Unfortunately my pace was too slow. :p

Haven't had a chance yet to see the AI in proper action, and I probably won't until I get up to speed with them. Overall this feels like a solid effort and an improvement over the past few years'.

Also, I ran into a bug where bits of polystyrene magicked themselves into existence at the nose of my car and floated through, falling onto the track behind me. :3

sam777

I like the challenges in practice. I am Renault in my first season and cannot get a time above 1.32.00 on the softs in practice and that seems well off the pace.

Putty

Had this for a couple of days on PS4. Handles pretty well but I'm playing on a controller and there's a seriously annoying issue with that..

If you change direction the steering always stops momentarily at the centre point before continuing to turn. So snaking corners where you have a quick direction change have that slight pause in turning. If you lose the back end and need to quickly counter steer to correct it doesn't do what you're telling it to do as it has the pause in the middle. This really messes me up sometimes as I'm trying to correct the car but the game is basically fighting against me with that weird delay in response. Even if you just sit still and go full lock to full lock you'll see what I'm talking about.

By the way the Advanced Wheel Settings do actually affect the analogue controller settings as well, I didn't notice this at first. I put steering linearity at about 20 and it definitely made it handle much better than default settings.

Overall having fun. Expert seems to be my decent level, Legend seems a bit out of reach, or I'd need to be absolutely perfect every single lap to have a chance. Game handles well and I think the career mode is going to be great. Graphics look decent but the cars don't move right in the replay views, something about the front end of the car not turning in properly doesnt look authentic, kinda reminds me of old racing games where the whole car pivots on a centre point, anyone else see it?

Last year's handling was mega...I'm picking this up later so let's see. Handling IMO was an area that warranted very little adjusmtment ...

Dirt Rally allows you to adjust the seat position with the numpad buttons, they really need it in F1 games also because it's great to have, I still remember manually editing car cameras in dirt 3 to make the dashboard cam mod, which everyone took and modded on top of without credit...

MaxiLive

Dirt Rally allows you to adjust the seat position with the numpad buttons, they really need it in F1 games also because it's great to have, I still remember manually editing car cameras in dirt 3 to make the dashboard cam mod, which everyone took and modded on top of without credit...

In the options you can change the view position for cockpit, tcam etc. Including FOV and camera position. Here are the settings:

CqEr2SmWgAEsuOS.jpg:large

Nyx

Had to turn on the racing line in corners, but since then I'm having a lot more fun.

Qualified as 17th in Australia in my Renault, better than my rival Magnussen. :)
Shame I have to leave now, will play again tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

Interesting...

I feel the gamepad handling got way more stiffer, maybe I have to change the steering saturation/linearity config a bit (will mess around with it tonight) to have it better, but from what I've played so far, a lot of frustation with the gamepad handling, its not bad, but will need a LOT of practice to get to good constant driving form.

this Thread on codies forum gives a good idea:

Zaru

Be warned...it changed a lot...with gamepad its really really different. (harder)

I bought this game because it seemed to have all the features I want, but now I have to realize that steering on a pad is fucking terrible. My last F1 game was 2012, which was a joy to drive on my 360 controller (and I had no trouble with F1 2015 when I tried it during a free weekend)
Now everytime I exit a corner, regardless of what wheel settings I use, the car wants to keep steering into the opposite wall and it's no fun at all.

As in, even when I adjust to compensate for that to string together a decent lap, it's just not fun. At all.

I really hope I'm just missing something obvious here.

Juicy Bob

Yeah, pad steering is literally my only complaint.

Last year it was perfect. I would obviously prefer to use my G27 on this game but we got screwed with the hardware incompatibility bullshit and I can't afford to buy a new one.

DD

Man, this game seems like a dream to me, but I'm scared to buy it because it seems it has a bigger hit on the system compared to last year's game. =/

danowat

Banned
I bought this game because it seemed to have all the features I want, but now I have to realize that steering on a pad is fucking terrible. My last F1 game was 2012, which was a joy to drive on my 360 controller (and I had no trouble with F1 2015 when I tried it during a free weekend)
Now everytime I exit a corner, regardless of what wheel settings I use, the car wants to keep steering into the opposite wall and it's no fun at all.

As in, even when I adjust to compensate for that to string together a decent lap, it's just not fun. At all.

Ok, interest waning.........

Madchad

Is it actually steering into the wall or is it the car sliding over the track and giving you that impression ?

Juicy Bob

The cars feel very momentum-based this year. When you start sliding, at least on a DS4, you can't correct it without it going into a tankslapper and in a lot of cases your momentum just takes you into the wall.

It's different to last year, where it was pretty easy to correct and save slides when you broke traction.

Jibbed

I've not been able to enjoy a racing game with a pad since I switched to a wheel about 6 years ago. Really makes a huge difference, especially with the speed of a series like F1.

Can't imagine how difficult it is to tune the handling to suit 2 completely different types of input.

Watevaman

Not a fan of F1 but keeping an eye on the impressions for this. I normally like my racing games just as pick-up-and-play style but the idea of a career on a PC game seems cool. I also like the authenticity they've gone for with the safety car and the rules.

Anyone have a GTX 960? How does it perform?

Icefire1424

Genuinely curious. Does anyone actually play with the driver line and map enabled on the HUD? It's the first thing I turn off whenever I play a racing game. Always felt like cheating to me.

Zaru

Is it actually steering into the wall or is it the car sliding over the track and giving you that impression ?

There's no feedback from the game that indicates any "sliding" when this happens - audio cue, vibration, whatever.

It feels like when driving with a wheel and you stop steering too late at the turn exit. Understandably, in that case, you'll head off-track.
Except... that has never happened in any racing game I've played with a gamepad since the stick (and thus the steering angle) reverts to a neutral position almost instantly, unlike when using a wheel.

Maybe that's some conscious decision to not disadvantage wheel users, but a stick simply cannot have the smooth steering of a wheel and thus it's exceedingly annoying to compensate. There are no assists to fix this, either.

MaxiLive

Genuinely curious. Does anyone actually play with the driver line and map enabled on the HUD? It's the first thing I turn off whenever I play a racing game. Always felt like cheating to me.

For people inexperienced with single seater racing and the precision needed for an F1 car the racing line is a must!

For me personally I've tend to always turn them off as well but I've clocked a few dozen hours on most of the F1 circuits so I can feel my way around tracks pretty easily.

2010 and 2011 were fun to play using the Microsoft wireless speed wheel but sadly it doesn't work on pc even though it connects via wireless dongle, I'd love to reuse that controller on pc.

frey

Am I right in assuming that Simulation damage is the most realistic? Does anyone know the difference between full and simulation?

Zaru

Steering complaints aside,

Baku is much more fun to drive in a game than to watch on tv. It has everything (except wide runoffs)

kiyomi

I turn everything off within reason. I like to keep stuff like lap times on etc, especially if they're not part of the steering wheel display. One of the reasons I appreciate pCars is that you can get a lot of data on the in-game steering wheel without the visual clutter of a HUD.

Aside from those things I'm distinctly a no-assists person, because I feel like I learn quicker and I find it more enjoyable. I'm always a bit surprised when I hear about people playing simulation-style racing games with an automatic gearbox, ABS, TC, etc. The lack of those things makes it so much more fun to me.

Anyway, I've sadly had to get a refund for F1 2016. It just doesn't run well for me. In a race the FPS drops down mid 40s without reason and a qualifying session I had in the rain was less than stellar. On a 970 etc, without even maxing it out, was pretty disappointing. I'll pick the game up when it's on sale next time and hopefully optimised a bit, because it's probably the best F1 game in a while.

Kazdane

I always turn off the racing line, but to be honest, never thought about disabling the map because I never look at it as I know all the tracks already and games always tell you the distance to other racers.

MaxiLive

Hit the wall and see the difference hehe

I think full is the most reallistic, maybe simulation is just comestic

Full means it allows terminal damage and you'll lose you wing etc. Simulation is the same but extra sensitive so those little taps will lose parts of your wing and a harder collision will remove your wheels.

Zaru

Anyway, I've sadly had to get a refund for F1 2016. It just doesn't run well for me. In a race the FPS drops down mid 40s without reason and a qualifying session I had in the rain was less than stellar. On a 970 etc, without even maxing it out, was pretty disappointing. I'll pick the game up when it's on sale next time and hopefully optimised a bit, because it's probably the best F1 game in a while.

What's your average fps?

On my 970, I have everything on max at 1080p except mirrors (don't need them) and AA (only TXAA, I think?), which leaves my GPU only utilized at ~85% at Baku in the rain starting from the back. So with plenty of room to spare. I've got the latest game ready driver if that's something you missed.

Dazzyman

Played it for a couple of hours on pc maxed at 1080p and love it. They finally seemed to have nailed it. I just kept playing 25% race distance in Australia quick race. My first go I played as Manor and struggled badly. Ended up clipping a wall and damaging my front wing and got a front left puncture. Last game I played as Mercedes and did great for about 10laps then got a left rear puncture which spun me into the wall smashing my front right wheel off.

Even on the easier setting it still feels very sim. I'm glad codies has gone back to sim racers. I'm loving it as much as the old TOCA. So much so I've double dipped and bought it on xbox1 to race my friends.

Great sim, buy it!

JamboGT

Hmm, I hated how last years game felt and heard this was very similar. So if it is different I might have to give it a go.

To be fair the last one I reallllly liked handling wise was 2010...

DavidDesu

The cars feel very momentum-based this year. When you start sliding, at least on a DS4, you can't correct it without it going into a tankslapper and in a lot of cases your momentum just takes you into the wall.

It's different to last year, where it was pretty easy to correct and save slides when you broke traction.

Yeah with a pad take a minute to notice how the steering wheel in game pauses in the centre position when you go from left to right and vice versa. It doesn't relate 1:1 with what you're actually telling the game what you want to do. It's super frustrating and feels like some kind of conceit to help out amateur players who might just be clanking the sticks from left to right.

For people like me who have quite good control with an analogue stick it absolutely messes me up. I really REALLY hope they fix this and give us pad players as much control as people with wheels have. I've seen YouTube videos of people on wheel and they can counter steer just fine. Me on pad it's like steering a ship when you want to make small quick corrections. And yeah absolutely none of the settings affects this behaviour. Please Codemasters!

EDIT: Yeah two posts above me! Can set sensitivity to 100 (super twitchy) and it STILL has this behaviour. Would love if Codemasters patched in an option for, I dunno, "Simulation Pad Steering On/Off" or something to get rid of this behaviour for people who want it.

MizzouRah

Wish they'd introduce VR support. PCars and Dirt are great (though they need to do official Vive support on Dirt yet). Dirt having VR support makes me hopeful that F1 will eventually get it.

Now I have to place my raceseat/stand in front of the TV again (with VR I was able to put it into the corner :) )

Yup -- I've got to hold off until they include it.

DavidDesu

Hmmm, the pad issues are a bit concerning. Wonder if they'll patch that.
I may hold off a bit on this...

Here's hoping. It's still playable but super frustrating there's this issue at all. I remember F1 2010 had this too, it was sort of unplayable on pad but played great on my DFGT. Obviously my wheel doesn't work anymore and pad is still an option I like to use anyway and I can play games like Dirt really well on pad. This is an artificial thing they've inserted over the top of what inputs you're actually choosing to make and wrestles control away from the user. I think it's literally to make the game easier for average Joe's to play it on pad but more hardcore users really need to have that control back.

Lach

If anyone else has trouble that their wheel is not recognized, uninstall Nvidia Geforce Expierience. It sounds weird but it helps!

Juicy Bob

I've noticed that the low sensitivity 'issue' is a lot more pronounced on harder compound tyres (Medium and Hard compounds) in career mode. Driving a Manor in Time Trial on Supersofts, it feels a lot more responsive through the quick stuff.

Top Bottom