• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

This is an example of the pad steering 'issue' that I have. It's most notable through high speed corners where you need quick change of direction.

Note the way the wheel hesitates around the centre point. This wasn't present in F1 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_C-1JN8YA

That's with steering sensitivity set to 20, by the way.

Yeah this is very annoying. Really hope that Codemasters patches that out...

Very disappointed, especially considering how well they nailed handling in 2015

Putty

Initial thoughts are......it's not quite as refined...It seems i need to put traction control on high or max or whatever the top value is....Anti lock brakes on....

Putty

Yeah this is very annoying. Really hope that Codemasters patches that out...

Very disappointed, especially considering how well they nailed handling in 2015

Yeah that sliding i found once i'd put TC on it removed it to the point of where i could manage with some throttle control...

Lach

God is the Sauber horrible to drive.

Going from time trial to career Sauber is crazy! I'll have to tweak that to death to get a decent handling and laptime and probably destroy the tires doing so.

[edit] used ferrari in TT

Ruruja

Just done a few laps at Melbourne in the Mercedes in TT.

Using 360 pad on Elite difficulty (no assists etc).

Steering doesn't seem too bad, feels like there might be a little too much deadzone and possibly too much sensitivity. Biggest issue I'm having is the back end kicking out really easy on exit unless you're at about 20% throttle.

It's my first F1 game since 2013 though so it's probably been like that a while with the new engines.

Putty

OK so, i've had a fiddle with the advanced control and have found settings i really like.....they are as follows:

Steering Deadzone 30
Steering Linearity 60
Steering Saturation 5

The car now feels less twitchy and there's less "snap" when quickly changing turn position...

Give it a try....

Visual it looks great....The sand traps look great, especially when u see tire markings, but the best thing is the car itself....very impressive especially the material shader (looking at the Merc) and the tire's are simply magnificent to see!

For now though im just doing TT around Albert Park gtetting used to the settings.

One thing i dont like is the ui i'd like improtant info more central to where my eyes are focused....DRS for example is bottom right...i would mind seeing something a bit more "in your face"...though you do get a little beep when you enter a zone...

Also worth a thumbs up is the plethora of camera settings! You can change so much (PS4)..

So far overall.....impressive.

Putty

Forgot to add Kerb are really brutal now, if you get 2 or 3 wheel up on em and your still foot down then expect the back end to come out on you....I find riding them is fine but you gotta lift off until all wheels back on the tarmac...

lastly can't remember if it was in F12015 but when you get a lap in your engineer tells you what your time was ...so you don't have to keep looking at the timer ...

OK so, i've had a fiddle with the advanced control and have found settings i really like.....they are as follows:

Steering Deadzone 30
Steering Linearity 60
Steering Saturation 5

The car now feels less twitchy and there's less "snap" when quickly changing turn position...

Give it a try....

Visual it looks great....The sand traps look great, especially when u see tire markings, but the best thing is the car itself....very impressive especially the material shader (looking at the Merc) and the tire's are simply magnificent to see!

For now though im just doing TT around Albert Park gtetting used to the settings.

One thing i dont like is the ui i'd like improtant info more central to where my eyes are focused....DRS for example is bottom right...i would mind seeing something a bit more "in your face"...though you do get a little beep when you enter a zone...

Also worth a thumbs up is the plethora of camera settings! You can change so much (PS4)..

So far overall.....impressive.

I'll try these settings tonight and post toughts on it as well, ty,
probably the deadzone and linearity will make a good improvement on handling

the game is really good, simulation, Ai, graphics, its all really well done from what I've seen, I just need to get my grip on controls with the pad, I dont really have any place to put (or can afford right now) a - decent - wheel

I like its harder and more sim than previous games, but I'm still a little afraid of not being able to propperly get used to the mechanics

Par Score

Running like a dream on my ageing i5-2400 / GTX 680, locked 60 at 1080p with TAA, Ansi x16 and mostly High settings.

This is even in full wet weather, never seen one dip below 60 during a race. Very impressed so far.

Steering Deadzone 30
Steering Linearity 60
Steering Saturation 5

Give it a try....

I was twiddling around and ended up very close to these settings, so yeah, I can recommend these on a 360 pad.

Zaru

Man, tyre management tests are brutal on a gamepad. The other two tests are just around perfect at my current level (challenging but doable), but just a tiny bit of "steering too much" eats their life away. Well, at least in a Renault at Australia.

LilJoka

I'm so on the fence. F1 2012 - I destroyed this game with a 360 pad no assists. 2015 on the X1 elite pad felt crap. PC.

Ruruja

Not sure about anybody else but I just joined a Sprint session with about 20 people in and the race wouldn't start.

Fox Mulder

Looking forward to playing it when I get off work. I liked last year's game, it just lacked neat in career for me.

I've played forzas for a decade, but really love a game with actual structure so a win feels like something. I want regulations, strategies, penalties, and actual AI that doesn't race like an online lobby.

I put tons of time into f1 2013, it was a good game for what I want.

Dazzyman

Just had a great 25% quick race in Australia on xbox1 with Ferrari. Got a gearbox issue and lost a gear. Just managed to wine by 2 tenths. Differences between xboxone and my pc is Xbox tears and drops frames. It plays identical on the elite pad. Can't use a wheel anymore with being disabled :(

I'm getting destroyed on Legend in Australia. That's a track I usually dominate in almost every car. Anone has found some setups baseline yet?
I am losing three seconds to the likes of Hulkenberg and Sainz.

best lap so far 1:31:430 in a Renault, that's not going to cut it.

Zaru

I bought this game because it seemed to have all the features I want, but now I have to realize that steering on a pad is fucking terrible. My last F1 game was 2012, which was a joy to drive on my 360 controller (and I had no trouble with F1 2015 when I tried it during a free weekend)
Now everytime I exit a corner, regardless of what wheel settings I use, the car wants to keep steering into the opposite wall and it's no fun at all.

As in, even when I adjust to compensate for that to string together a decent lap, it's just not fun. At all.

I really hope I'm just missing something obvious here.

Update: What I was missing was traction control. My acceleration behaviour that worked fine in previous games (on the "half" traction control setting) apparently doesn't work, at all, in 2016. So I guess it's a lot less forgiving in that area.

Azzawon

Finally managed to start playing, and holy shit. I'm on XB1 and they have all the camera options available, including FOV! You have no idea how much I've been wanting to lower that damn TV pod camera and increase the angle of it. Looks so much better for me now.

Edit: My engineer was giving me weather updates on a clearly perfect sunny day so I activated Kinect mic and told him to shut up. Got an achievement for it :')

Finally managed to start playing, and holy shit. I'm on XB1 and they have all the camera options available, including FOV! You have no idea how much I've been wanting to lower that damn TV pod camera and increase the angle of it. Looks so much better for me now.

Edit: My engineer was giving me weather updates on a clearly perfect sunny day so I activated Kinect mic and told him to shut up. Got an achievement for it :')
Those options sound awesome, gonna buy the game asap.

sam777

I'm getting destroyed on Legend in Australia. That's a track I usually dominate in almost every car. Anone has found some setups baseline yet?

My best is 1.31.550 in the Renault, I am struggling to find a great setup for the track.

Jibbed

There's your problem mate.

I should really give this a go myself, sounds like the best one in years.

One last time Codies...

Azzawon

Those options sound awesome, gonna buy the game asap.

It's a great feature, as small as it may seem I'm really glad it's there.

These are the camera options I have available on XB1.

ZWccax8.png

Zaru

Am I the only one constantly getting hit by the AI?
I shouldn't have cars ramming into me while I'm on the racing line 20+ times in a 29 lap race.
Multiple times, a faster car would try to overtake and I would literally have to abuse flashbacks to find the one outcome out of 10 where I didn't get rammed. It's not even about defending at that point.

Malcolm9

I'm so happy they have multiplayer championship in the game, I cannot wait to set up a game against friends.

The game itself is awesome, Codemasters have done it justice this year.

Tekniqs

is there going to be a neogaf championship? i SUCK at racing game but thinking about getting this game and a wheel lol.

Putty

Verdict on X1 pad controls?
I suggested some settings earlier. Give em a try...

Happy with my setting...got my Albert Park time down to a 1:28.7....I have a 28.1 if I put my best sector times together....I think I'll be hitting late 27's 2mora...

Also the track in the rain looks fantastic....

LilJoka

I suggested some settings earlier. Give em a try...

Happy with my setting...got my Albert Park time down to a 1:28.7....I have a 28.1 if I put my best sector times together....I think I'll be hitting late 27's 2mora...

Also the track in the rain looks fantastic....

Havent bought it yet lol
I was going to buy, then realised that if its 30GB I can't play today and won't have time tomorrow, so I may as well wait for impressions.

I'm really impressed with how they've dealt with the practice sessions.

The track familiarisation, tyre wear and quali simulations are actually genuinely helpful guides to judging performance and setup.

The data showing your best and worst corners in terms of track position and corner entry/apex/entry speeds is pretty impressive.

The meter in the tyre wear sim takes ambiguity and guess work out of figuring what style of driving affects tyre wear and
how much.

Being able to watch other cars on track with TV cams is cool as well.

The difficulty though.....woof. Im not exactly a racing game noob so I set the difficulty to hard and turned off all assists. Im 6 seconds off the pace, of the second slowest car....., and that's just in P1!

I've only done Melbourne P1 and P2 sessions so far but man I have a lot of learning to do.

Megasoum

Banned
Couple of quick tips about the in-race menu I found after doing 2 career week-end.

-If you want to close the menu quickly without having to tab through every pages you can simply hold down the menu button.
-At any time (no matter if the menu is open or on which page it is open) you can press left or right on the D-Pad to change the fuel mix
-If you press left/right to change the fuel mix while the menu is already open (not on the first page) it will automatically go to page 1 to show you which fuel mix you just selected and then go back to your previous page after a couple of second. For example I spend most of my races with the last page open (the race strategy) so when I want to change from standard to rich I press Right on the d-pad, the menu change to the first page to show me the change and then automatically goes back to the strategy page.

Dazzyman

Has anyone got any wheel settings for the pc as my friend has asked. He's having difficulty turning far enough in corners. As for me on pad I'm now finding it twitchy :(

Shaneus

So I was given a $50 Steam Wallet voucher for my birthday, expressly for going towards F1 2016.

What happens when I try to redeem it? Says it's not active. And my sister (who bought it) thinks the receipt might be at her work, but it's now the weekend and she's going to the snow tomorrow.

So fuck, no F1 2016 this weekend for me. ARGH.

Top Bottom