• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook |OT| The Social Network

besiktas1 said:
What type of caption do you write underneath facebook gold pic? I'm bored and want to try it...
I did two, under the guise that I was posting screen shots of a new feature I was tinkering with that goes along with the Timeline. I haven't named it yet but I'm alluding to it being a Friendship Tree, where you can see all the connections your friends all have to one-another as an expansion of the "friends in common" concept.

My first post is, "By far one of my favorite aspects of the new Facebook layout I've gotten to tinker with. Being able to do this with multiple people is gonna be so much fun!" and then I did a second FB Gold photo with the caption, "Another shot, tweaked the branches a little. This is so cool! I can't decide if I like this or the Timeline more."

It's after 3AM where I am so all my FB friends are sleeping so we'll see if anyone bites in the morning. I can't wait to do a [Must be a Facebook Gold Member to see this comment] post and flip everyone's shit out. *crosses fingers*

Feep

Banned
So I like the "Close Friends" list, but it seems that every time a Close Friend updates their status, it registers as a notification for me (causing me to get something like 39 notifications every several hours). Can this notification behavior be deactivated? I didn't see anything for it in Facebook Notification Settings...

Mistle

Feep said:
So I like the "Close Friends" list, but it seems that every time a Close Friend updates their status, it registers as a notification for me (causing me to get something like 39 notifications every several hours). Can this notification behavior be deactivated? I didn't see anything for it in Facebook Notification Settings...
Just click the drop down "notifications" button on the top right of the close friends page.

So some of my friends link their Facebook accounts with Goodreads to show what they're currently reading. Is there something similar for games? I wish to turn people to Retro Game Challenge on the DS. :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gooster said:
So some of my friends link their Facebook accounts with Goodreads to show what they're currently reading. Is there something similar for games? I wish to turn people to Retro Game Challenge on the DS. :p

No, there isn't. Because there isn't a unified/majority gaming-based ISDN/bardcode and reviewing collection system. Many websites (like Giant Bomb) have listings and the like to build your collection, but no one/majority has defined a standard.

GCX

Ken Masters said:
So my friends have ticker but I'm still waiting for it.... This normal?
My ticker just disappeared but I think it's because fb is getting ready to roll out the BIG update today.

So today (29th) the profiles of normal people like me should change to the new timeline, right? I can't wait to see the new stuff. So far everything looks the same as always, though.

Jzero

My new cover image :lol
TRB1Q.png

Chopper

Cover images are cool. How come I don't have that option?! Any chance these upates will optimize iPad performance, seeing as they still continue to refuse to release an official app...

golem

Chopper said:
Cover images are cool. How come I don't have that option?! Any chance these upates will optimize iPad performance, seeing as they still continue to refuse to release an official app...
Rumor has it the iPad app will be released same day as Apples press conference..

Jzero15 said:
My new cover image :lol
TRB1Q.png
This this this is so cool. I did a couple concepts when I got the new layout of arrows pointing to my profile picture describing different personality traits, and different cartoon versions of me pointing at my profile pic and shouting. I can't wait to see what clever unique things people do with the way the Cover Picture and the profile picture are arranged.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
How do you get Spotify to show like that? Also does anyone know if Spotify by default spams your friend list with what you've been listening to?

Edit: Seems it just took a few songs to work.

Jzero

Ikuu said:
How do you get Spotify to show like that? Also does anyone know if Spotify by default spams your friend list with what you've been listening to?
It shows every song you're listening to in the ticker but not in the main feed.

Chopper

WordAssassin said:
This this this is so cool. I did a couple concepts when I got the new layout of arrows pointing to my profile picture describing different personality traits, and different cartoon versions of me pointing at my profile pic and shouting. I can't wait to see what clever unique things people do with the way the Cover Picture and the profile picture are arranged.
Are cover images only available to those in the US? I see no such option here in the UK.

Enco

DieNgamers said:
So today (29th) the profiles of normal people like me should change to the new timeline, right? I can't wait to see the new stuff. So far everything looks the same as always, though.
Hopefully. Can't wait.

We should get the image in the uk. Would be stupid if we didn't.

Korey

Chopper said:
Are cover images only available to those in the US? I see no such option here in the UK.
It hasn't been launched to the public yet. You can get in if you install the developer app and make a dummy app.

Is this supposed to launch today or tomorrow, and where did they say that?

Ikuu

Jzero15 said:
It shows every song you're listening to in the ticker but not in the main feed.
I take it you can go into the settings somewhere and disable posting to the ticker?

Chopper

Korey said:
It hasn't been launched to the public yet. You can get in if you install the developer app and make a dummy app.

Is this supposed to launch today or tomorrow, and where did they say that?
Oh, okay. In which case I insist that everyone here posts awesome cover picture concepts so that I can have a particularly awesome one on launch day so all my friends think I'm cool. :)

Ikuu

Korey said:
Yes. If you do that though is there a point to having the spotify app?
Well I'd prefer it just show on my page, and post something everytime I listen to something.

Jzero

Korey said:
You listen to music using the client, unless I'm missing something
Yea i though that's what you meant, my bad.

Expendable. said:
So, does this launch for everyone today?
That's what supposed to happen.

_dementia said:
Sorry for the noob question but how do I enable timeline? I already signed up for it a few days ago.
it should update for everyone today.

Enco

Where art thou timeline

edit: There's a view activity button that lets you see ALL your activity on fb? My god. My dream came true. I've been wanting this feature for a looong time.

bluehat9

Isn't today just the start of the roll out over weeks (months?). I never even got the ticker update so maybe I'll get the timeline by next year, lol.

And if you have songs in your library that aren't on spotify for streaming, they don't show up on facebook when you listen to them?

PantherLotus said:
I just noticed the [view as] button, where you can see your profile the way specific others do. Is that new?
The button's placement is new but the feature already existed (it was in one of the Account Settings subpage IIRC).

Can non-timeline people see the people who do have it yet? Because I have it (made the dummy app last week), and when I select "view as", it shows the timeline.

Jzero

Duane Cunningham said:
Can non-timeline people see the people who do have it yet? Because I have it (made the dummy app last week), and when I select "view as", it shows the timeline.
Nope only people with timeline can see the timeline.

rj118

Just made this, I want to use as a cover image but I don't have timeline yet. Could someone with timeline try it out and let me know if it's aligned pretty well? I want it to be pointing at the profile picture if possible.

jOaCNsbHDCCAA.png

Any cool cover photos?

EDIT: Made this one earlier in about five minutes. Yea, it's crappy, but it gives you a good idea of the things you can do. I like the outer glow touch.

facebook_cover_image_1_by_rjnavarrete-d4baw04.jpg

Top Bottom