• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 7: The Dark Thirst Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
haha you're right! :DD
BRING IT ON GIFS SHALL NEVER DIE!!!!

2C5ebk4dzxfx.gif

my new future quoting pupil!

and yes that's basically what's going on. except instead of a pretty woman it's a horrible monster and instead of committing genocide on all of humanity he's only trying to commit genocide on the player's ass

my new future quoting pupil!

and yes that's basically what's going on. except instead of a pretty woman it's a horrible monster and instead of committing genocide on all of humanity he's only trying to commit genocide on the player's ass

I WAS TRYING TO TEACH YOU A LESSON YOU SICKO

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I removed all alcohol from the house about a week ago (as in I drank it all and purposefully didn't go get more) and I'm slipping into existential crisis mode help

I miss turning my brain off

marrec

Banned
I removed all alcohol from the house about a week ago (as in I drank it all and purposefully didn't go get more) and I'm slipping into existential crisis mode help

I miss turning my brain off

:(

You've already been a week so you know you can at least go that long, if you need we're here for you man.

Why'd you do it anyway?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Now I remember why I hate roommates. Place smells like trash because roommate1 and his girlfriend made a bunch of food last night, overfilled the trash can and didn't empty it. So it sat all day in the heat today.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
stay strong <3 you have us and hot dream girl. you don't even need that shit!
Hey, thanks. That actually does help a lot. :)

:(

You've already been a week so you know you can at least go that long, if you need we're here for you man.

Why'd you do it anyway?
I want to be healthier. I'm not giving it up completely but having less is sure to be good for my body and my mind.

Holy shit it suddenly started raining really loudly
Go to sleep already!!!!

FUME5

Now I remember why I hate roommates. Place smells like trash because roommate1 and his girlfriend made a bunch of food last night, overfilled the trash can, and didn't empty it. So it sat all day in the heat today.

I could rent my spare room out and make $150-200 extra per week, but it's not worth it.

Now I remember why I hate roommates. Place smells like trash because roommate1 and his girlfriend made a bunch of food last night, overfilled the trash can and didn't empty it. So it sat all day in the heat today.

My roommates do annoying stuff like that sometimes, but I just have a conversation with them about it and that tends to be enough. Then again, I don't know how reasonable your roommates are, so...

SolVanderlyn

That avatar is going to get very confusing

Yin Jobbs and Yang Jobbs

Hey, thanks. That actually does help a lot. :)

I want to be healthier. I'm not giving it up completely but having less is sure to be good for my body and my mind.

Go to sleep already!!!!

feel free to PM if you need to talk! you'll get through it.

---

off to bed now though. at least trying to sleep.

SolVanderlyn

feel free to PM if you need to talk! you'll get through it.

---

off to bed now though. at least trying to sleep.
Thank you for the offer. :) Good night!

I backed MN9 and have it on Steam right now, but I also got Kirby Robobot today so there is literally no reason to play MN9 until I beat that

zeemumu

My roommates do annoying stuff like that sometimes, but I just have a conversation with them about it and that tends to be enough. Then again, I don't know how reasonable your roommates are, so...

My last experience with roommates was during my stay on a different campus for some program. The roommates were fine, but my experience there was marred by getting sick from bad pizza and then almost crapping my pants in a room filled with military veterans. Also I went to both senator's offices in the capital building and no one was there so I had to talk to their secretaries.

1092058020-00.jpg

My last experience with roommates was during my stay on a different campus for some program. The roommates were fine, but my experience there was marred by getting sick from bad pizza and then almost crapping my pants in a room filled with military veterans. Also I went to both senator's offices in the capital building and no one was there so I had to talk to their secretaries.

Yikes. That doesn't sound like any fun. :(

Jobbs

Banned
I played Night Trap as a kid. It's one of the first games that comes to mind when I think of Sega CD.

Sega CD had a few good games but it was full of FMV garbage.

Pau

My brand new computer died and Dell won't be able to fix it until the end of July. I was graciously lent a laptop, but damn is it slow and heavy. :(

How have y'all been?

zeemumu

1092058020-00.jpg

Yikes. That doesn't sound like any fun. :(

It wasn't...at least not that last part. Sacramento is a bit more humid than it is down here but it still maintains the heat. Also there was something about ghosts because the other people on my floor were playing a prank on someone.

And I'd kill to get a mobile port of Night Trap. That game is so damn 80's it's hilarious. The vampires are dudes with stockings on their heads.

Jobbs

Banned
My brand new computer died and Dell won't be able to fix it until the end of July. I was graciously lent a laptop, but damn is it slow and heavy. :(

How have y'all been?

Hi Pau!!!

Dang! It died how? It just won't power on? That's so frustrating. :(

I'm well. "Programming" AI right now >:D Creating life!

Damn that Metal Slug thread reminds me that nothing comes close to the stuff they did that time.

Metal Slug games are all gorgeous and all look fun but none actually are fun.

FUME5

Damn that Metal Slug thread reminds me that nothing comes close to the stuff they did that time.
tumblr_inline_npldbmEzj01ri065t_500.gif

Bought the Humble Bundle the other day, haven't played anything yet. Why it doesn't have Cyberlip, Top Hunter, Burning Fight, KoM 2 etc... escapes me.

It's easier when you know their posting style.

Jobbs' posting style is cantankerous, whereas mine is....?

marrec

Banned

How have y'all been?

End of JULY? Been better than you I guess :-/

Been good, did a kayak trip down the Allegheny this weekend and since have been chilling.

Whatchu been up to besides dealing with Dell?

Pau

Hi Pau!!!

Dang! It died how? It just won't power on? That's so frustrating. :(

I'm well. "Programming" AI right now >:D Creating life!
One morning it just decided to not turn on. It's about two months old too. :/

How do you find doing AI stuff? Is it hard? :O

Jobbs

Banned

Dang I guess I'll go fite Dell...

iW4jK5A.gif

I'm exaggerating a little. My AI is nothing too special. I'm basically just doing a creature that makes decisions about how to get around a (predefined) room but without ACTUALLY doing a pathfinding algorithm because that would require actual intelligence on my part.

I use sensors and place them around the room and they tell the unit how to react depending on what motion he's doing. E.g., if he's running and hits this sensor, do this jump with this power which will get him across this gap. It works because it's predefined.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Metal Slug games are all gorgeous and all look fun but none actually are fun.

That is your opinion. I enjoyed them tons.

Bought the Humble Bundle the other day, haven't played anything yet. Why it doesn't have Cyberlip, Top Hunter, Burning Fight, KoM 2 etc... escapes me.

There are tons of SNK games I wish had Steam Ports but Im sure eventually we might get more.

Programming AI isn't all that hard. It's designing an AI where the difficulty comes in. You have to decide what you want the AI to think about, and in what order, with which preferences, et cetera. It's a lot of abstracting complex phenomena into simple considerations.

To that end, it's not much different from programming anything else in the game. Like making a character move and jump involves a lot of different parts (input polling, velocity tracking, effects of gravity, collision detection, triggering and running animation systems, et cetera) and putting all those systems together. The difference is that most of those systems are quite visible and obvious, whereas an AI is much more cerebral.

But it's fun to do and figure out.

Misha

Banned

How have y'all been?

No apartment people are getting back to me now but I finally got bloodwork that I haven't gotten around to for years

Jobbs

Banned
boy golly gilly is so cute!

Programming AI isn't all that hard. It's designing an AI where the difficulty comes in. You have to decide what you want the AI to think about, and in what order, with which preferences, et cetera. It's a lot of abstracting complex phenomena into simple considerations.

To that end, it's not much different from programming anything else in the game. Like making a character move and jump involves a lot of different parts (input polling, velocity tracking, effects of gravity, collision detection, triggering and running animation systems, et cetera) and putting all those systems together. The difference is that most of those systems are quite visible and obvious, whereas an AI is much more cerebral.

But it's fun to do and figure out.

aye I was never taught anything so I just sorta figured it out (such as "it" is for me). I just start at the beginning and have the unit check for what needs to be checked for and take an action and keep adding layer upon layer of decision making and conditions and stuff until it's unthinkably convoluted and I can barely understand it anymore.

zeemumu

boy golly gilly is so cute!

aye I was never taught anything so I just sorta figured it out (such as "it" is for me). I just start at the beginning and have the unit check for what needs to be checked for and take an action and keep adding layer upon layer of decision making and conditions and stuff until it's unthinkably convoluted and I can barely understand it anymore.

Isn't that gonna cause your game to slow the longer it's on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom