• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have war hammers too? They were used pretty often (yet also look a bit less impressive than the ones on tv)

Yeah. There are a few. A couple of them are on the more fanciful side.

q9RoLsT.png

Jobbs

Banned
;)

I watched that video. The gist was a fire arrow is plausible if you can accept the trade-off of being heavier and denser. For a warhammer, I'm perfectly okay with that.

you're not going to set your enemy on fire with a fire arrow or a fire warhammer. it might have a psychological effect, I guess. If you hit me with that thing the fact that it's on fire would be the least of my concerns. I've set my hand on fire before. Brief contact with flame isn't going to kill you.

and he proposed the fire arrow perhaps would be useful in a siege by causing the enemy to run around and put them out before they start fires, thereby removing men from the wall

What if you are fighting strawmen.

there's a hilariously witty response here but it's not coming to me :(

What's a good, diplomatic way of dealing with people who overstep your boundaries? I can't think of anything except get pissed off and yell, but then feel like shit afterwards.

you're not going to set your enemy on fire with a fire arrow or a fire warhammer. it might have a psychological effect, I guess. If you hit me with that thing the fact that it's on fire would be the least of my concerns. I've set my hand on fire before. Brief contact with flame isn't going to kill you.

and he proposed the fire arrow perhaps would be useful in a siege by causing the enemy to run around and put them out before they start fires, thereby removing men from the wall

Most of the enemies in the game are highly flammable or wearing highly flammable garments. Some are not. This will be reflected in the gameplay.

Furthermore, the flame on the hammer has a much broader spread than anything you could dream of affixing to an arrow. Ergo the chance to ignite is increased.

Plus, that's just how videogame fire works. I don't want to invoke reality is unrealistic.

What's a good, diplomatic way of dealing with people who overstep your boundaries? I can't think of anything except get pissed off and yell, but then feel like shit afterwards.

It really depends on the nature and severity of the trespass.

oh, everything in my game is stupid and defies physics at every point. I was pressing you on this because you said there was to be no impractical weaponry in your game.

But it's not impractical. There are lots of flammable foes, so it makes sense that people in the world would devise weapons for burning these creatures. Like a dude in a mail hauberk or plate armor or even just treated leather is going to be hard to inflame. But silk robes? Literal straw skin? Burlap clothes? Muy en fuego. And like wolves and feral beasts are super not cool with flames either.

Most fantasy weapons are made big and dumb because they look cool to certain people. Meanwhile, if I make a weapon that's on fire, it's more than because it looks cool. It's because it makes a lot of sense given the setting.

I'm happy to admit when I did something just because I wanted to despite it not making sense. The fire hammer is not such an occasion.

Essentially, doing things for their own interest even of my own disapproval. I feel like my kindness is being taken advantage of? I hate to sound vague, but posting personal matters on a public forum makes me considerably paranoid.

I don't understand why you can't calmly talk to the people who are overstepping. If they're rational people, they should be open to polite discussion. If they're not rational people, you shouldn't be concerning yourself with them.

I also want to dispel the notion that letting people walk all over you is a kindness. It's not. It's a weakness and a conflict-aversion cowardice. You're enabling people to treat you with less dignity than you deserve, which is not good for them long-term.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I also want to dispel the notion that letting people walk all over you is a kindness. It's not. It's a weakness and a conflict-aversion cowardice. You're enabling people to treat you with less dignity than you deserve, which is not good for them long-term.
It took me a long, long time to realize this. She speaks the truth.

I don't understand why you can't calmly talk to the people who are overstepping. If they're rational people, they should be open to polite discussion. If they're not rational people, you shouldn't be concerning yourself with them.

I get that, but of one of these people isn't the most rational and I share living arrangements with until I can find something steady and move out. In fact, if anything, this person thrives on conflict so me trying to be averse and not give in towards it is more detrimental than I had anticipated.

Xiao Hu

Goodbye my lover. Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one. You have been the one for me.

It sure as hell isn't easy to quit, but you'll thank yourself for it a few years down the line.

I mean I didn't smoke for that long, barely half the year. But I have to quit because a) I'm asthmatic, my cardio performance is already shite and b) tobacco is too expensive in Germany. On the other hand nicotine helped me with the hardest part of my depression this year, perhaps I should look into vapors.

I get that, but of one of these people isn't the most rational and I share living arrangements with until I can find something steady and move out. In fact, if anything, this person thrives on conflict so me trying to be averse and not give in towards it is more detrimental than I had anticipated.

I don't know how to give better advice without more details. It seems like a highly specific situation with unusual constraints.

One thing you can count on, diplomacy doesn't work on irrational actors. If you can't ignore this person and you can't have a decent conversation, there really aren't a lot of other good options.

Malls spook me now. Ever since the advent of online shopping, I have no reason to go one and the thing was that going to the mall was a fucking event when I was younger. Now, everything is overpriced and not as many people go to them.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Malls spook me now. Ever since the advent of online shopping, I have no reason to go one and the thing was that going to the mall was a fucking event when I was younger. Now, everything is overpriced and not as many people go to them.

I still like them. Just when they are not super crowded.
You can do a bit of people watching, and window shopping.

I still like them. Just when they are not super crowded.
You can do a bit of people watching, and window shopping.

I'll do window shopping if it's for something I can afford. :)

That said, the weird kitschy/niche stores are cool to browse through. Unfortunately, there's a pet store in one of the malls I go to sometimes...and well, makes me feel uneasy. They say it's puppy mill free and get their doggos from trusted breeders but honestly, I don't trust a filthy fucking word they say considering they are sitting pretty next to a bootleg chinese foot massage salon.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

They should just invent a physical version of ebay where people just bring in things they want to sell and then other people can come and buy the things.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If there was a hell I'm convinced it would be a shopping centre in peak Christmas period.

SolVanderlyn

If there was a hell I'm convinced it would be a shopping centre in peak Christmas period.
Have you ever worked in retail? You're not too far off. Only a demonic setting like that could ruin Christmas joy.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I can't even get a job in retail. That's how fucked I am.

I've applied to bevmo, WinCo, O'Reilly auto parts, auto zone, rite aid, Vons, CVS, Walgreens, in the past month.

Among plenty of jobs on Indeed for entry-level work.

I'm just fucking doomed to be homeless and an addict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom