• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckie

Good back to Fake GAF April and you can see it happen in almost real time.

Tl;Dr a combination of lingering combat stress related issues(nightmares of people I've engaged, malaise at daily life etc) and I basically ran myself to death with work and home stuff, pushing myself beyond limits. Ultimately I had a crazy breakdown and they initially put me in rehab but I was uncooperative So I got sent here.

Shit, hope it will make you feel better girl! I had no idea you actually went into combat tbh

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd like to recommend to Ceallach the hot mess that is The Last Ship to lift her spirits, but that may backfire at me with ire and haste.

Unrelated: I'm somewhat interested in a new Sonic game and feeling dirty because of it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'd like to recommend to Ceallach the hot mess that is The Last Ship to lift her spirits, but that may backfire at me with ire and haste.

Unrelated: I'm somewhat interested in a new Sonic game and feeling dirty because of it.

My nudes can make you feel less bad about the Sonic game. Should I solve the issue? Just gimme the green light dude.

Vazra

wow I feel like death.

just complete lethargy

(I've cut caffeine and I'm already feeling it)

Did you straight up cut it or you gradually went cutting on it? I think gradually cutting the intake helps you get eased better into not having coffee. I rarely get coffee these days.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Shit, hope it will make you feel better girl! I had no idea you actually went into combat tbh
Yeah. Our QRF teams always needed one female in case there were any females LNs we needed to help, and I always volunteered. My main job was counter rocket artillery and mortar. And the thing that got me most from that was the unexploded ordnance surveys.

Misha

Banned
I'm sort of afraid that I'll have issues when the doctor's appointment tomorrow doesn't fix half the things I'm concerned with.
I'll probably short term come out net positive but my positivity rn is assuming that somehow things are capable of being fixed in the future and I really don't have a plan beyond that

Jobbs

Banned
I was watching a video about how up to world war 2, there was only a "shoot to kill" rate among soldiers of about 3%. Soldiers simply weren't shooting at the enemy. Most people aren't wired to.

It wasn't until they changed how recruits are trained to teach them to reflexively fire at people to kill them before thinking about it that they got that number much much higher.

On the other hand they still haven't quite solved the issue of how to deal with the long term psychological ramifications of turning someone into a killer.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I was watching a video about how up to world war 2, there was only a "shoot to kill" rate among soldiers of about 3%. Soldiers simply weren't shooting at the enemy. Most people aren't wired to.

It wasn't until they changed how recruits are trained to teach them to reflexively fire before thinking about it that they got that number much much higher.

On the other hand they still haven't quite solved the issue of how to deal with the long term ramifications of turning someone into a killer.

Well, they are a million times better about treatment and understanding than they used to be. And its unfortunately a necessity. I don't regret a single thing I have ever done. Every round i put on target deserved to be there.

FUME5

I'm sort of afraid that I'll have issues when the doctor's appointment tomorrow doesn't fix half the things I'm concerned with.
I'll probably short term come out net positive but my positivity rn is assuming that somehow things are capable of being fixed in the future and I really don't have a plan beyond that

Having half of your shit fixed is better than it all being broken.

Jobbs

Banned
Well, they are a million times better about treatment and understanding than they used to be. And its unfortunately a necessity. I don't regret a single thing I have ever done. Every round i put on target deserved to be there.

aye.

incidentally, just as a random point of interest, according to this thing I was watching very few people are suited to be a sniper, and it's not because most people aren't capable of that level of marksmanship. Many soldiers are capable of it on the marksmanship side with the right training. The reason so few people are qualified is because so few people are mentally wired to do it -- to look at someone and wait and contemplate and think about it then kill them. very few people can do that (according to the video I was watching).

FloatOn

Did you straight up cut it or you gradually went cutting on it? I think gradually cutting the intake helps you get eased better into not having coffee. I rarely get coffee these days.

just straight up quit

my blood pressure has been fucked up lately. I went to the cardiologist last week and he didn't seem too concerned but still I want to do everything I can to make my blood pressure not be all over the place.

Misha

Banned
You know I just realized that a lot of my story ideas are based on things that I'm dealing with now. If I don't know the actual ending is it possible to have an effective fictional one?

I LIED I WASN'T BACK

I AM BAD AT PAYING ATTENTION TO THIS THREAD I'M SORRY EVERYONE I'LL TRY HARDER

Also yo there's a suuuuuuuper cute girl on OKCupid and I have no idea how to do talking I'm just going to go and hide in my room bye

Oh yeah I had an assessment thing with the mwntal health place I'm now on a waiting list for 1-on-1 CBT for social anxiety so that's good

Info about this is almost always traceable back to one source, "Men Against Fire" by Marshall, and the subsequent books he published and the various later books by other authors that primarily source his work. You might see Grossman come up as another name in this area, although he's writing much later and referencing Marshall.

This information is highly questionable. As this essay from Robert Engen states:

Here, Marshall becomes extremely problematic as a source. Historians and researchers since the 1980s have been consistently demonstrating that Marshall did not have the evidence to back up his claims. Roger Spiller, among the first historians to publicly criticize Marshall, claimed that his ratio of fire numbers were “...an invention,” and that “Marshall had no use for polite equivocations of scholarly discourse. His way of proving doubtful propositions was to state them forcefully. Righteousness was always more important for Marshall than evidence.”36 Other historians discovered that none of Marshall’s aides and assistants could ever remember Marshall asking the troops questions during the group interviews that had anything to do with whether they had fired their weapons.37 In the surviving field notebooks used by Marshall during his interviews, historians have found no signs of the statistical compilations that would have been necessary to deduce a ratio as precise as that found in Men Against Fire.38 Such a precise, surprising number as the 15 to 25 percent ratio should have required a great amount of hard work and data-gathering to arrive at, but there is no evidence that Marshall carried out the statistical legwork his claims imply. The only interview notes actually located were found in an archive of a Maryland National Guard division, wherein soldiers testified to having used their weapons in action. There was no mention of the ratio of fire.39

In general, it also seems to be flying in the face of common sense. In 5000 years of recorded history, nobody thought to mention that only 1 in 33 people in a given battle will actually bother fighting.

The figure you mention here, 3%, is ludicrously low, and would imply that in WWII, an average engagement of one squad against one squad at close quarters in Stalingrad resulted in either nobody firing their gun, or everybody firing their weapon with the intention of missing. Should your squad be lucky enough to be gifted with one or, heaven forbid, two soldiers willing to actually aim properly, you would presumably be at an enormous tactical advantage and win every engagement. Any other casualties in small arms battles would no doubt have come as a result of accidents, people tripping on rocks, or ricochets that mistakenly hit somebody after you aimed to miss. Now, Marshall or Grossman might say that in fact, the Soviets and Germans had sufficiently dehumanized the enemy blah blah blah, and that it was just the good natured Americans and Allied forces who were made of the stern moral stuff. This would be an even more problematic assumption, because it would mean that presumably while only 3% of Americans bothered trying to kill anybody, most Germans did. From which we could infer that the Allies couldn't possibly have won the war, since their soldiers were all comprised predominantly of people unwilling to kill.

The essay goes on:

Exceptions include when non-killers are in groups, when they are under authority, or when an opponent is running away from them, all of which were circumstances Grossman identifies as those in which “normal” individuals might overcome their resistance to killing. This list of exceptions is substantial enough on its own that one might reasonably question the effectiveness of this “resistance,” even by Grossman’s standards.

WWI and WWII propaganda is famous, and you can trivially bring up outright racist posters about the Japs and the Huns and how people should be killing them. Dehumanization is as old as humans. Go kill those savages for the empire. Defend Christendom against the Moslem Turkomen. Now, this is not to say that everybody will be willing to kill. Reactions to battle are complex and it's frankly not a well studied area in psychology. But there was no line in the sand where in WWII, people were good and righteous and wouldn't kill, then fifteen years later they unlocked the secrets to bootcamp indoctrination and then after that we entered into the modern era of people being willing to kill en masse.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah. I don't really know the history, but it seemed to me the thing I was watching was suggesting most soldiers would sort of shoot in the direction of the enemy in a "go away!" type way, but not aiming at an actual person and shooting at them to kill them.

The same video also said that in a certain time period (I can't remember which) 1% of fighter pilots were accounting for 50% of the total kills

Vazra

just straight up quit

my blood pressure has been fucked up lately. I went to the cardiologist last week and he didn't seem too concerned but still I want to do everything I can to make my blood pressure not be all over the place.

Try cutting sodium, if you are stressed try to relax a bit more and rest more if you're not getting enough rest.

Yeah. I don't really know the history, but it seemed to me the thing I was watching was suggesting most soldiers would sort of shoot in the direction of the enemy in a "go away!" type way, but not aiming at an actual person and shooting at them to kill them.

The same video also said that in a certain time period (I can't remember which) 1% of fighter pilots were accounting for 50% of the total kills

I don't know the source of that statistic. I did a quick google and I think I found something linking to that video which mentions that figure. Otherwise Idk.

The kill counts of fighter aces are ridiculously lopsided in Germany's favor while overall kills were higher on the allied side. The discrepancy is accounted for by the different mechanisms for counting kills, one kill with multiple contributions were divided out fractionally in British and American tallies while under the German accounting kills were solely awarded to one person, the one either most directly responsible or usually the most experienced when it was ambiguous or close. The Germans also kept their pilots flying continuously, usually until death, while pilots were frequently rotated in the RAF and USAAF, with experienced pilots taken off the line to go serve as instructors. An additional factor is that after a few years, the RAF and USAAF simply drastically outnumbered the Germans in a strategic sense. While individual air battles may be even, the Germans were forced to pick and choose which battles to fight, while the Allies were everywhere all at once. For the remaining Germans, it was a target rich environment wherein if you survived you were thrown back into the fray. For the Allies, you just weren't that likely to encounter the enemy, and if you did, chances are it would be someone else flying against them next time.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't know the source of that statistic. I did a quick google and I think I found something linking to that video which mentions that figure. Otherwise Idk.

The kill counts of fighter aces are ridiculously lopsided in Germany's favor while overall kills were higher on the allied side. The discrepancy is accounted for by the different mechanisms for counting kills, one kill with multiple contributions were divided out fractionally in British and American tallies while under the German accounting kills were solely awarded to one person, the one either most directly responsible or usually the most experienced when it was ambiguous or close. The Germans also kept their pilots flying continuously, usually until death, while pilots were frequently rotated in the RAF and USAAF, with experienced pilots taken off the line to go serve as instructors. An additional factor is that after a few years, the RAF and USAAF simply drastically outnumbered the Germans in a strategic sense. While individual air battles may be even, the Germans were forced to pick and choose which battles to fight, while the Allies were everywhere all at once. For the remaining Germans, it was a target rich environment wherein if you survived you were thrown back into the fray. For the Allies, you just weren't that likely to encounter the enemy, and if you did, chances are it would be someone else flying against them next time.

This is the video I was watching, if you're curious

zeemumu

Good back to Fake GAF April and you can see it happen in almost real time.

Tl;Dr a combination of lingering combat stress related issues(nightmares of people I've engaged, malaise at daily life etc) and I basically ran myself to death with work and home stuff, pushing myself beyond limits. Ultimately I had a crazy breakdown and they initially put me in rehab but I was uncooperative So I got sent here.

i dont remember your posts back then being evidence of a mental breakdown. It felt out of nowhere when you mentioned the rehab

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Inner nostril pimples.

Discuss.

Numb

I'd much rather prefer bae instead of babe. Babe skeeves me the fuck out.

6242156_700b_v1.jpg

babe still cool

marrec

Banned
Back from the Missouri wedding. It was too hot and there is absolutely nothing in that state worth anything that I saw, the hotel's pool was closed for maintenance and their wifi was garbage, we had to drive 26 hours over a 72 hour period, and the wedding itself was an awful time (the ceremony was nice tho).

All of that said, my suit was baller cause I looked 100% like I could host Running Man in it.

I don't have any pictures though, Lilith's got me beat there.

Back from the Missouri wedding. It was too hot and there is absolutely nothing in that state worth anything that I saw, the hotel's pool was closed for maintenance and their wifi was garbage, we had to drive 26 hours over a 72 hour period, and the wedding itself was an awful time (the ceremony was nice tho).

All of that said, my suit was baller cause I looked 100% like I could host Running Man in it.

I don't have any pictures though, Lilith's got me beat there.

7SguzHP.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hope your therapy is at the very least bearable, Ceallach. Maybe it will actually help?

I still feel bad about breaking down in this thread a couple of months ago. I totally lost my shit (I was also drunk, but that's no excuse). Sometimes things pile up and you lose it. We like to think we're strong, but the mind isn't invincible. Even letting off steam in here helped me (I've never talked to anyone about what I went through other than here). After a lot of the shit I went through I went semi-insane and didn't realize it until looking at myself through hindsight.

I didn't mean to make this post about me. Basically what I'm trying to say is that sometimes help or supportive company is good, even if we don't want it or think we need it.

If I'm going to be real, maybe it won't help. But then you can complain about it, right!? Complaining is fun.

Pizza looks small
That's the size pizza should be TBH. Looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom