• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've asked before but what's a mentor? Is it like a therapist or a life coach? The vagueness sounds appealing to me since there's a lot of things I could use advice on.
Life coach is close enough. She's a friend of the family and probably my biggest fan. She loves treating me to movies or dinner or whatever, and she's always down to talk about anything and everything, fun stuff and hard stuff. She advises and instructs but without any punitive method nor judging nor coercion, so she's one of the first people I'll talk to about difficult or odd subjects.

Misha

Banned
Yeah, he has to win Florida or he has no chance. Good luck winning a state with a huge Hispanic population.

Let's not forget he's dumb enough to be spending money in New York and California i.e. safe blue states.
He's currently playing defense in North Carolina also which typically wouldn't be too difficult to go red.

His other route is to take the entire Midwest.

Look at this to feel good: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html
Life coach is close enough. She's a friend of the family and probably my biggest fan. She loves treating me to movies or dinner or whatever, and she's always down to talk about anything and everything, fun stuff and hard stuff. She advises and instructs but without any punitive method nor judging nor coercion, so she's one of the first people I'll talk to about difficult or odd subjects.
So not professional gotcha. I need someone like that. My grandma is the closest but she's a worrier :p

Numb

image.php

like it by the way

zeemumu

That's pretty interesting. Do you schedule appointments or just hang out regularly?

FloatOn

The polls are currently over representing his only demographic he does well in: un-college educated white people and the electoral map is incredibly unfavorable for him with a win in Florida effectively being the only somewhat up in the air thing Hillary needs to win.
His only chance is if his one demographic comes out in force and everybody else stays home. Very unlikely

what currently has me worried are the hardcore bernie supporters that are voting third party now because of the "rigged" system.

A vote for third party is a vote not used in keeping that asshole out of office.

Misha

Banned
what currently has me worried are the hardcore bernie supporters that are voting third party now because of the "rigged" system.

A vote for third party is a vote not used in keeping that asshole out of office.
They're a percent of a percent of a percent of people who are largely made up of anti establishment independents and demographics that normally don't vote anyway.

Probably feels especially bad since they came from the same place as you but to you they don't seem to be committed to the same things
(I felt that way for a while)

They do have a chance to be used by the media to fuel the perception of a close race unfortunately

Man

I love how it's always the fault of the left

It's always the left who have to get in line

It's not like anyone else could possibly compromise is it

*sigh*

FloatOn

They're a percent of a percent of a percent of people who are largely made up of anti establishment independents and demographics that normally don't vote anyway.

Probably feels especially bad since they came from the same place as you but to you they don't seem to be committed to the same things
(I felt that way for a while)

They do have a chance to be used by the media to fuel the perception of a close race unfortunately

last I heard Johnson is at 9% and Stein is at 3%

I'll do my best to stay optimistic with you

Man

I love how it's always the fault of the left

It's always the left who have to get in line

It's not like anyone else could possibly compromise is it

*sigh*

I was all for Bernie since the beginning. I won't disclose how much I donated to his campaign.

I was resigned to just not vote because I don't like an "establishment" democrat as much as the next guy. Believe me that I would prefer a true progressive.

But the stakes are just too dire right now. Priority #1 is keeping Trump out of office and the best way to do that is to vote for Clinton.

edit - also we are long overdue for a woman president

So not professional gotcha. I need someone like that. My grandma is the closest but she's a worrier :p

Yeah. It didn't even occur to me that this was unusual until recently because I've grown up with a handful of mentoring figures. Right now I have two of them, but I see the one a lot more often than the other. I wish everybody had someone like this in their life because it helps me so, so much.

That's pretty interesting. Do you schedule appointments or just hang out regularly?

Nothing formal. Sometimes we make plans a couple weeks in advance, but usually it's just day-of stuff like "hey I'm going to see this movie, wanna come?" or "doing anything for dinner tonight?"

Most of the time I don't meet up with her because I just need to talk, although I will call her for specific issues if it's highly pressing. Most of the time we're just hanging out regularly and that naturally affords us conversation.

Misha

Banned
last I heard Johnson is at 9% and Stein is at 3%

I'll do my best to stay optimistic with you
1 third party numbers drop closer to the real election when people realize their vote has a consequence
2 that's pulling from trump also as a lot of libertarian voters this time around are republicans with a bit of a conscience
Yeah. It didn't even occur to me that this was unusual until recently because I've grown up with a handful of mentoring figures. Right now I have two of them, but I see the one a lot more often than the other. I wish everybody had someone like this in their life because it helps me so, so much.

Nothing formal. Sometimes we make plans a couple weeks in advance, but usually it's just day-of stuff like "hey I'm going to see this movie, wanna come?" or "doing anything for dinner tonight?"

Most of the time I don't meet up with her because I just need to talk, although I will call her for specific issues if it's highly pressing. Most of the time we're just hanging out regularly and that naturally affords us conversation.
I really need someone to help me with my apartment search and to help me know where to socialize and to teach me about hygiene and junk. I feel like normally those are just parent things so that's why people don't need them but it's nice to have someone who isn't your parents to
My grandma does though help me prepare for job interviews and listens to my concerns about politics and family and stuff and came with me when apartment hunting (though she doesn't know much about it)

Also this reminds me I need to talk to her about seeing the new Star Trek :D

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My father is my greatest mentor. I'm really grateful for that, as many people apparently have less than stellar fathers in this generation. On the subject of unprofessional bonds, is it weird to have a "best friend" as an adult? I have a friend I'm pretty much tied to at the hip. We like all the same things and I talk to him pretty much every day. I used to have two, but one of them abandoned the known world when he got married to a psycho.

We'll see who is right come November.
No one thought Brexit would happen.

It's guesstimating at this point.

Brexit isn't really comparable at all tho.

Brexit was a referendum that needed a simple majority to pass. We have the Electoral College which helps keep mob rule in check and the GOP is at yuuuuuuge disadvantage with the way it's set up at the moment.

zeemumu

1 third party numbers drop closer to the real election when people realize their vote has a consequence
2 that's pulling from trump also as a lot of libertarian voters this time around are republicans with a bit of a conscience

I really need someone to help me with my apartment search and to help me know where to socialize and to teach me about hygiene and junk. I feel like normally those are just parent things so that's why people don't need them but it's nice to have someone who isn't your parents to
My grandma does though help me prepare for job interviews and listens to my concerns about politics and family and stuff and came with me when apartment hunting (though she doesn't know much about it)

I have trouble with that because my parents are critical to a ridiculous extreme, so it's hard to gauge whether or not my appearance is actually acceptable. Socializing seems to narrow down to "don't be a dick" and "don't be creepy" and then you can fill in the blanks between those with whatever you want as long as it doesn't contradict the first two rules.

Misha

Banned
We'll see who is right come November.
No one thought Brexit would happen.

It's guesstimating at this point.
This reads like a "Wayne Gretzky was traded so it's fair to say Sidney Crosby could easily be traded"
It's a very different system with somewhat similar circumstances

But yeah it's speculation which is why we have polls and such. If anything this year has been a big year in showing how people can affect perception of the numbers. You got Nate silver first saying trump had no chance in the primary and now saying he has a good chance in the general, polls underrepresenting minorities, the media pumping up sander's tires enough that people still think he has a shot, and 24/7 trump coverege drowning out the massive field of republican candidates.
I have trouble with that because my parents are critical to a ridiculous extreme, so it's hard to gauge whether or not my appearance is actually acceptable. Socializing seems to narrow down to "don't be a dick" and "don't be creepy" and then you can fill in the blanks between those with whatever you want as long as it doesn't contradict the first two rules.
Same though your parents always sound a bit worse than mine.
There's a lot of expecting me to know certain social graces that they never brought up. I realize that most people don't care about the things my dads concerned with

So I actually have great parents who are very supportive of me, and I'm eternally grateful for that. But they're not infallible and my relationship to them is different than it is to other people. I think it's good to have a breadth of support because there are many different ways you can be supported, and it spreads out the load somewhat so you're not putting all of your burdens on one person or group of people.

But there's definitely overlap. For example, I'm currently living in a house that my parents own but I'm supposed to inherit. However both of my current mentors have told me on multiple occasions that I'm welcome to go spend the night or even live with them if I just need space or if the worst happened and I became estranged from my parents. Even though I'll hopefully never have to take them up on those offers, it's encouraging to know those safety nets exist. And that's just one of many, many examples.

My father is my greatest mentor. I'm really grateful for that, as many people apparently have less than stellar fathers in this generation. On the subject of unprofessional bonds, is it weird to have a "best friend" as an adult? I have a friend I'm pretty much tied to at the hip. We like all the same things and I talk to him pretty much every day. I used to have two, but one of them abandoned the known world when he got married to a psycho.

I don't think it's weird. Maybe impractical for a lot of people though, whether because an increasingly complex life means it's harder to align wholly with another or because you add more friends into the mix and have to share the time with all of them.

MutFox

Banned
If he wants to split the Hillary vote and hand Trump the presidency sure.

Thankfully he's smart and is throwing his support behind Hillary.

Yeah, splitting the Dem vote is all that would achieve.

Had that issue in Canada with the Liberals and NDP.
We had to resort to strategic voting in the last election to get the Con's out.
Still can't believe we got enough people around the country to do that.
(Had a website which told you to vote either NDP or Lib in that area to beat the Con)

Misha

Banned
So I actually have great parents who are very supportive of me, and I'm eternally grateful for that. But they're not infallible and my relationship to them is different than it is to other people. I think it's good to have a breadth of support because there are many different ways you can be supported, and it spreads out the load somewhat so you're not putting all of your burdens on one person or group of people.

But there's definitely overlap. For example, I'm currently living in a house that my parents own but I'm supposed to inherit. However both of my current mentors have told me on multiple occasions that I'm welcome to go spend the night or even live with them if I just need space or if the worst happened and I became estranged from my parents. Even though I'll hopefully never have to take them up on those offers, it's encouraging to know those safety nets exist. And that's just one of many, many examples.
I often wonder what id do if I wanted to leave suddenly and I didn't really have an answer since my friends wouldn't exactly be more welcoming for the same reasons and my family either has the same or I don't want to alienate them from the rest of the family.
(Ofc this shouldn't be an issue sooner than later)

Gotta find my own way
Is it still possible Bernie Sanders go 3rd Party?
No. You have to declare much earlier(unless you hitch your wagon to another existing party which jill stein wants but no one cares what Jill stein wants). He doesn't want to anyway

MutFox

Banned
No. You have to declare much earlier(unless you hitch your wagon to another existing party which jill stein wants but no one cares what Jill stein wants). He doesn't want to anyway

Ahhh... Yeah, that's what I thought logically,
but wasn't sure how it works in the US.

Jobbs

Banned
Motorcycles are so insanely dangerous and can result in such horrible injuries I feel like I'm far too wise to ever touch one.

I have to get taken out to dinner and I wish I didn't ... Too often I accept things because I'm too nice to say no

Misha

Banned
Ahhh... Yeah, that's what I thought,
but wasn't sure how it works in the US.
Even if you run you have the issue of not showing up on half of the ballots. Johnson won't even be on a lot of them despite polling at 9% right now.
There's just so many layers that make 3rd parties non-viable in our system.

MutFox

Banned
Motorcycles are so insanely dangerous and can result in such horrible injuries I feel like I'm far too wise to ever touch one.

Yeah, you gotta be focused like at no other time on a Motorcycle.
If I feel off or even had 1 beer, I won't ride.

Though when I'm riding and have that focus, it just feels, I can't even describe it.
It's euphoric in a way.

That's why my next license would be for a pilot.

MutFox

Banned
Even if you run you have the issue of not showing up on half of the ballots. Johnson won't even be on a lot of them despite polling at 9% right now.
There's just so many layers that make 3rd parties non-viable in our system.

Not showing on ballots, can't believe that's legal.

I have to get taken out to dinner and I wish I didn't ... Too often I accept things because I'm too nice to say no

jobbs there's this open air screening of Howl's moving Castle tomorrow. let's go!

MutFox

Banned
???? Do you want everyone who says "I'm running for president" put on the ballot? Different states have different criteria

The big ones yeah.
We have 5 big Parties here.

On our ballots we have them + anyone else in the area that's running.
Though we have it setup by ridings here.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yeah, you gotta be focused like at no other time on a Motorcycle.
If I feel off or even had 1 beer, I won't ride.

Though when I'm riding and have that focus, it just feels, I can't even describe it.
It's euphoric in a way.

That's why my next license would be for a pilot.
It is seriously amazing how riding can make you feel.

I'd suggest to jobbs, just to take the msf course. It's more about risk mitigation and learning skills.

Misha

Banned
The big ones yeah.
We have 5 big Parties here.

On our ballots we have them + anyone else in the area that's running.
Though we have it setup by ridings here.
Green libertarian constitution etc parties aren't big parties on the national level. Their parties do get on the ticket at lower levels though and even independents often make it into congress (see Bernie). One of the biggest criticisms of the greens is that they focus so much time nationally when they should be focusing on local candidates and work their way up

But yeah the way your voting works essentially makes national and local the same thing if I understand it right and makes votes for the less large parties actually have an impact unlike ours where a vote for a third party presidential candidate is nothing more than a statement

Jobbs

Banned

That could be, but it's also hard to describe how awesomely fucked you are if you hit just about any car -- Basically your body vs 2 tons of steel. The same degree of accident that might be pretty boring and harmless had you also been driving a car will fuck you beyond belief if you're on a motorcycle. There's so little room for error.

If you were my brother I'd be like, "brother, (I call you "brother" no matter how awkward that may seem because that's how the movie audience knows we're brothers), please stop this madness!"

jobbs there's this open air screening of Howl's moving Castle tomorrow. let's go!

that actually sounds fun so I'd say yes without it just being polite

Howl's was good but also very frustrating to me. I couldn't stand her
being stuck as the old lady all movie
hahah

I did think it had some nice qualities too, and it grew on me a bit after thinking about it. The ending was very nice.

It is seriously amazing how riding can make you feel.

I'd suggest to jobbs, just to take the msf course. It's more about risk mitigation and learning skills.

There's no such thing as risk removal. You may be hit by someone else being stupid any time you share the road no matter how perfect you are. At least if I'm in a car I stand a reasonable chance of avoiding serious injury. Riding a motorcycle on public roads with cars just sounds -- Frankly, it sounds insane.

I often wonder what id do if I wanted to leave suddenly and I didn't really have an answer since my friends wouldn't exactly be more welcoming for the same reasons and my family either has the same or I don't want to alienate them from the rest of the family.
(Ofc this shouldn't be an issue sooner than later)

Gotta find my own way
Are there not community centers at least or something like that where you can meet new people who will support you?

MutFox

Banned
Green libertarian constitution etc parties aren't big parties on the national level. Their parties do get on the ticket at lower levels though and even independents often make it into congress (see Bernie). One of the biggest criticisms of the greens is that they focus so much time nationally when they should be focusing on local candidates and work their way up

But yeah the way your voting works essentially makes national and local the same thing if I understand it right and makes votes for the less large parties actually have an impact unlike ours where a vote for a third party presidential candidate is nothing more than a statement

They're actually thinking of changing how our elections work here.
Not sure how it'll work out.

People want proportional representation.
That way lower parties aren't a throwaway vote.

That could be, but it's also hard to describe how awesomely fucked you are if you hit just about any car -- Basically your body vs 2 tons of steel. The same degree of accident that might be pretty boring and harmless had you also been driving a car will fuck you beyond belief if you're on a motorcycle. There's so little room for error.

If you were my brother I'd be like, "brother, (I call you "brother" no matter how awkward that may seem because that's how the movie audience knows we're brothers), please stop this madness!"

Oh yeah, I'm thinking about that every second I'm on the bike.
I make sure to always be in defensive riding mode.

That's also why I didn't skimp on gear.
I fully suit up for maximum protection on all my rides.

Also avoid the highway when possible, I like slow rides on on less busy roads.

Misha

Banned
Are there not community centers at least or something like that where you can meet new people who will support you?
Well I live in the country so no not right now. That's kind of part of my issue. I need to move out to get closer to resources but it would be nice to have those resources to move out.
I'm going to be talking to my doctor about stuff like that tomorrow though. No idea how much she could help but that's a place to start
They're actually thinking of changing how our elections work here.
Not sure how it'll work out.

People want proportional representation.
That way lower parties aren't a throwaway vote.
I think we just have too many rules that favor our system to change anything unfortunately. Just changing one or two things would initially make it seem viable only for people to realize that it's still best for them to go with one of the big two. I feel like if we pulled off having a 3+ party system it would allow us to have a primarily socially liberal country even if our economics are still right of a lot of the western world.

Would be interesting to see any changes you guys would make

MutFox

Banned
Man what are you doing... :(

You probably had "asshole" muttered about you a couple dozen times during the filming of this video

In all North America, Lane Splitting is only legal in California.
I think it's insane and couldn't even think of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom