• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not aiming for a certain length. I'm just going to put everything I want in it and nothing else, and then call it a game. Four hours, thirty, I don't care. Length doesn't make a game good or bad unless it's criminally short and boring like Gone Home or ridiculously overdrawn like Witcher 3.

I guess I'm expecting it to be eight to twelve, but I'm not going to be upset or try to change things if it falls outside that range.

generally I agree, but in terms of fostering relationships with characters in the story -- if it's that kind of game -- there's no replacement for time. The Last of Us wouldn't have been nearly as effective if I didn't spend 17 hours getting to know Joel and Ellie. Even if that time is padding, time is time. My game has elements of that so it could work to my advantage if it's longer.

It's pacing.

How do you feel about it now that you are approaching the finish line, is it looking like you'll achieve what you wanted to with it?

Also, why is there dorito puke on your son?

There's still plenty of work ahead scarily :( I'll have to bust ass to get it out before 2016 is over, and even then adult swim may prefer to hold onto it until a better release window (not sure if holiday is when they'd want to do it).

Anyway, I don't even know how I feel. I don't know if the game is good, I don't know if I like it, I don't know. It's just this collection of things I've done. I associate most aspects of the game down to individual graphics to what I was thinking the day I created them. It's all disassociated and not seen as one thing but a million things. I am flying by instruments right now, by what I've learned, because I can't see the game as a game really.

the puke is because a girl puked on me and I am now embracing the ridiculousness of these compounded avatar edits by Lili

zeemumu

Sucker Punch is on. I can't turn it off.

Help.

How did he not know that she left everything to her two daughters before she died? If you were that invested in waiting for someone to die so you could get their money I'd assume you'd pay attention to a detail like that. Also how was he planning on getting away with that murder? He was the only other person in that house and drank a huge-ass bottle of alcohol? It wouldn't be that hard to connect him to the murder, especially after they see the will and all of the obvious motives.

zeemumu

Oh hey it's Poe Dameron, but he's a creeper.

Did they never think to question her and get a motive as to what happened? Did they just take the drunk stepdad's word for it that she was crazy? They didn't look at the empty bottle of alcohol? The will on his desk?

How the hell does the head orderly have the authority to order lobotomies behind his boss' back? Why would you discuss your evil plan IN FRONT OF YOUR BOSS?!

FUME5

There's still plenty of work ahead scarily :( I'll have to bust ass to get it out before 2016 is over, and even then adult swim may prefer to hold onto it until a better release window (not sure if holiday is when they'd want to do it).

Anyway, I don't even know how I feel. I don't know if the game is good, I don't know if I like it, I don't know. It's just this collection of things I've done. I associate most aspects of the game down to individual graphics to what I was thinking the day I created them. It's all disassociated and not seen as one thing but a million things. I am flying by instruments right now, by what I've learned, because I can't see the game as a game really.

the puke is because a girl puked on me and I am now embracing the ridiculousness of these compounded avatar edits by Lili

The creators dilemma huh?

From what I've seen you're definitely creating something you can be proud of.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sucker Punch is on. I can't turn it off.

Help.

How did he not know that she left everything to her two daughters before she died? If you were that invested in waiting for someone to die so you could get their money I'd assume you'd pay attention to a detail like that. Also how was he planning on getting away with that murder? He was the only other person in that house and drank a huge-ass bottle of alcohol? It wouldn't be that hard to connect him to the murder, especially after they see the will and all of the obvious motives.
If movies actually were realistic on the way to handle situations most of them would be over on 15-30 minutes anyway.

generally I agree, but in terms of fostering relationships with characters in the story -- if it's that kind of game -- there's no replacement for time. The Last of Us wouldn't have been nearly as effective if I didn't spend 17 hours getting to know Joel and Ellie. Even if that time is padding, time is time. My game has elements of that so it could work to my advantage if it's longer.

It's pacing.

I know what you mean but it really depends on how you're telling your story.

Just take music for example. It takes longer to tell the story of a sad song than a peppy pop hit. There's no sorrow in a two minute sad song, and there's no vibrancy in a pop song that hits the four minute mark. I'm generalizing of course, but you get what I mean.

Take the story of Portal for example. Its story is that you learn something new in every chamber. Of course there are thousands of new puzzles that could be made by rearranging the elements of the previous rooms, but that wouldn't fit the narrative. The story is zippy and fast paced because that sets a certain tone. (However, they actually changed the tone twice in the sequel, once for the sp campaign and again for the mp part)

So I'm not aiming for a certain length so much as a certain tone. If I can fit more story in while matching the same tone then great! But no big deal if not.

zeemumu

Wait, they were gonna do a themed show about a lobotomy for a brothel? These characters are all way too chill about being essentially sold into sex slavery.

Hey, Rocket is Johanna from The Hunger Games

And the doctor is the mom from Spy Kids. Carla Gugino?

Wait is that Jamie Chung?

What are all these actual actors/actresses doing in this movie?!

Stick?! Stick what're you doing in here!

I feel like they made 4 really nice action scenes and the rest of the movie is loose justification for them.

She's not using that katana properly.

Jobbs

Banned
The creators dilemma huh?

From what I've seen you're definitely creating something you can be proud of.

yeah, and thanks

I know what you mean but it really depends on how you're telling your story.

Just take music for example. It takes longer to tell the story of a sad song than a peppy pop hit. There's no sorrow in a two minute sad song, and there's no vibrancy in a pop song that hits the four minute mark. I'm generalizing of course, but you get what I mean.

Take the story of Portal for example. Its story is that you learn something new in every chamber. Of course there are thousands of new puzzles that could be made by rearranging the elements of the previous rooms, but that wouldn't fit the narrative. The story is zippy and fast paced because that sets a certain tone. (However, they actually changed the tone twice in the sequel, once for the sp campaign and again for the mp part)

So I'm not aiming for a certain length so much as a certain tone. If I can fit more story in while matching the same tone then great! But no big deal if not.

yep agreed -- that's why I said for certain kinds of games.

Watched all of Rick and Morty season 2 and I'm a better person for it.

zeemumu

You're going to have an aneurysm if you try to keep track of all the dumb shit in Sucker Punch.

What's this old prototype of D.Va's mech doing here?
4a42d1048e4d357f92e25a69c45944b5.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Games are like cocks; girth is more important than length, but you're a winner if you've got both.

Watched all of Rick and Morty season 2 and I'm a better person for it.

I liked season 2 a fair amount, but it felt less solid than the previous one. Higher highs but also lower lows, especially with a few eps in the middle. Show Me What You Got is a fun meme, but the episode itself is pretty boring I think. Also the hospital/dimension-TV episode fell pretty flat for me.

As for how the season ended, I'm really curious how it changes things going forward. I enjoy grounded Earth stories and I don't want those to go away, but I also don't want there to be a lack of consequences. Hmm.

Games are like cocks; girth is more important than length, but you're a winner if you've got both.

Games are like cocks. Boys play with them in the dark instead of going out and meeting girls.

Jobbs

Banned
But wait, Jobbs. There's more. Old women are comin' and they're also in the movie and they're gonna come and cross attack.

I don't want to kick it into 12th gear tho

I liked season 2 a fair amount, but it felt less solid than the previous one. Higher highs but also lower lows, especially with a few eps in the middle. Show Me What You Got is a fun meme, but the episode itself is pretty boring I think. Also the hospital/dimension-TV episode fell pretty flat for me.

As for how the season ended, I'm really curious how it changes things going forward. I enjoy grounded Earth stories and I don't want those to go away, but I also don't want there to be a lack of consequences. Hmm.

I watched the entire season with Erica and we made her laugh a lot (the show and I). It was fun. So part of the reason I like it are positive associations, as liking things often goes.

Games are like cocks. Boys play with them in the dark instead of going out and meeting girls.

I hardly ever play with my cock, and never in the dark. If I do it, it's in the shower.

Poppy Drayton is so pretty. Wonder if I should watch that LOTR Jr. show.

I watched the entire season with Erica and we made her laugh a lot (the show and I). It was fun. So part of the reason I like it are positive associations, as liking things often goes.

I hardly ever play with my cock, and never in the dark. If I do it, it's in the shower.

pqoYJhu.gif

I should have said games are like cocks, better when you get to share it with someone. My previous quip assumed heteronormativity and for that I am deeply ashamed.

positive associations are great. Half of my favorite things are like that

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not that big on multiplayer gaming though. My favorite games have been very solitary experiences.

I would agree in a more general sense, though, as it pertains to suprafictive lore (I made that word up). So -- People discuss and share about a game outside the game and thus bond over it even though it's single player.

An example of suprafictive lore was me hearing that Metroid was a girl from another kid while riding the swingset when I was like 7. I had no confirmation for quite some time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I've come to the conclusion that the more awesome you are the harder it is to find someone that can keep up. which is why you're single too!

This would explain a lot!

In unrelated news, fuck most of those 'attacks in Germany' threads, I never expected that amount of hard-right German loons on GAF.

Half of your favourite things are like cocks?

my train of thought is irreverent tonight but that's also true so sure

I'm not that big on multiplayer gaming though. My favorite games have been very solitary experiences.

I would agree in a more general sense, though, as it pertains to suprafictive lore (I made that word up). So -- People discuss and share about a game outside the game and thus bond over it even though it's single player.

An example of suprafictive lore was me hearing that Metroid was a girl from another kid while riding the swingset when I was like 7. I had no confirmation for quite some time.

extrafictive or superfictive

while it's true that supra is the latin word for above, it mutated to super in English and the traditional form is only used to mean above on a page, more synonymous with "before". Meanwhile, both extra- and super- mean above and beyond as a prefix. so

but I know what you mean. I like sharing that experience with others though. watch someone else play, have someone else watch me, you know

In unrelated news, fuck most of those 'attacks in Germany' threads, I never expected that amount of hard-right German loons on GAF.

It's not that surprising. Fear makes people irrational. This is a known quantity. Hell, even back in January/February there were already people warning that all it'd take for Trump to slide into office is a big terrorist attack, and now there have been several.

It is frustrating though, I'll give you that. That's part of why I use the ignore threads Chrome extension.

Jobbs

Banned
supraventricular refers to abnormalities taking place ABOVE the heart ventricles

but whatever! having things explained to me is one of my kinks so I win either way

Would make a great Halloween ornament.

To be fair, even the creators hated the second interdimensional TV episode.

Taking a poop for Uncle Sam

not the worst thing our tax dollars are paying for by a long shot

To be fair, even the creators hated the second interdimensional TV episode.

Good. Hopefully everyone learned their lesson.

Incidentally that is some truly gorgeous animation

Wonder if they did rotoscoping. Looks kinda like it

all the ancient Disney stuff was rotoscoped

they still do reference footage but it's not the same when you're working in 3D of course. Popular in game dev too before motion capture took over

Jobbs

Banned
Can anyone suggest interesting podcasts? Looking for something new.

I'm not looking for a specific topic (gaming, politics, science, comedy to a degree, news, all fine) I just need interesting people who aren't annoying

Games are like cocks; I spend more time complaining than playing.

Anyway fuck you all. I need actors (superb no-names that fit my meticulous standards), make up artists, a lighting/rigging crew, and a small (yet flexible) budget that I don't ever have to make return on.

Thanks.

Casting and directing VO has been a really exhausting experience and I can only imagine whar doing it for live action would be like

Even seasoned actors need to be handheld until you get something usable out of them (at times, anyway, a few people definitely nailed it quickly -- strangely enough my most natural person who recorded the most consistently quality takes is a complete novice)

I also have Elspeth Eastman in the game, who is an actress/streamer of rising popularity (she's Tristana in League of Legends) and she NAILED it like instantly

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Anyway fuck you all. I need actors (superb no-names that fit my meticulous standards), make up artists, a lighting/rigging crew, and a small (yet flexible) budget that I don't ever have to make return on.

Thanks.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Whoever claimed that "tiny portion" dinners are not filling obviously never had a proper one.

tf78uFt.jpg

Apple and basil ajoblanco with cheese and salmorejo stones.

Tdz4wFt.jpg

Octopus carpaccio with almond alioli and summer truffle (holy FUCK that was great)

sPrvRI3.jpg

Steak tartar with mustard icecream and sesame crackers

FJsg0AZ.jpg

Low temperature cooked egg with Idiazabal cheese, Iberico dust and confit Iberico belly (this one was a Saint Teresa-like religious experience).

ombnOvm.jpg

Scallop, wheat and bone marrow (tas-ty).

ftRUARy.jpg

Seared bonito with green chile and escabeche sauces.

nR1g59E.jpg

Free range chicken with lobster.

M8ytFfq.jpg

Honey icecream with chamomile sauce, apple and lyophilized yogurt (this is where I ascended to a new astral plane)

WW78rxt.jpg

Cherry, cocoa mousse and blackcurrant (God help me)

And this little thing we got as we were getting out:

2wvWx9A.jpg

Hardened passion fruit meringue with vanilla crystals.

I'm feeling inappropriate rn.

Thanks.

I can chip in a few bucks

Can anyone suggest interesting podcasts? Looking for something new.

I'm not looking for a specific topic (gaming, politics, science, comedy to a degree, news, all fine) I just need interesting people who aren't annoying

you made it weird w/ Pete Holmes

there are like three hundred episodes and nearly every one has a different guest including the likes of Keegan-Michael Key, Dan Harmon, Al Yankovic, TJ Miller, Andy Sandberg, et cetera.

Thanks.

I don't know anybody in Australia except all y'all but good luck Jarrod.

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks guys, I'll check them out.

I find that for podcasts, innocuity is the most important thing. I can put up with boring to a degree, but annoying is very bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom