• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 8: Overthirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Apparently it takes a philosophical approach as well?

Sounds interesting

EDIT: Wait for OUTLAST 2!!!!

Yeah. The title itself is an indication of how it handles that.

Yeah, it does. Plot wise, it's the most interesting horror game in the last couple years. Gameplay wise it's just serviceable.

Well it's all puzzles and hiding so as far as the gameplay goes it's no more complex than, say, Amnesia. But the setting is cool, the monsters are freakish, and the story is great.

do this if you like bad games

How dare you!

The first game was an amazing horror game back when PS4 had no games to play. The horror of surviving on a camera alone... When will Fatal Frame?

The DLC served the most amounts of heart racing and sweat inducing moments in a video game. Save for PT. appreciate Real Art.

gret33.gif

And hype deflated a bit. Dammit, Lily.

I thought very similar things for Uncharted 4 and Oxenfree though, and I love those games. But it's certainly not on the level of classic horror gameplay like Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

There was a thread on Gaming side a few days ago about how horror games are better games when you have weapons, and I fully agree, but it wouldn't make sense in this context. So mostly you just run around and explore, and try not to get caught by the Ⱦ̾♆̆≂̴بؐ❭ͩᥲͥᦦ͉.

Always a struggle to shave or not shave >=|

if you have significant growth, just trim it. If not, depends on whether you're going for that rugged machismo thing or not.

Jobbs

Banned
How dare you!

The first game was an amazing horror game back when PS4 had no games to play. The horror of surviving on a camera alone... When will Fatal Frame?

The DLC served the most amounts of heart racing and sweat inducing moments in a video game. Save for PT. appreciate Real Art.

gret33.gif

Outlast is a snooze. The extremely predictable pattern of gameplay drained all of the tension and horror out of it after the first hour. Walk around in funhouse mode where the game tries to hit you with fake scares and stuff, then avoid a patrolling guy. That's about it.

You need choices for a horror game, gameplay-wise, to be interesting -- Choices like fight or flight. Or, in the case of Alien Isolation, what gadget to use or whatever.

If I'm making choices about how to react then the suspense is much higher, because things are riding on my decisions. There are choices and stakes.

Soma doesn't have depthful gameplay either, but where Outlast has nothing interesting about its story, Soma has an exceptionally interesting story.

Outlast is a snooze. The extremely predictable pattern of gameplay drained all of the tension and horror out of it after the first hour. Walk around in funhouse mode where the game tries to hit you with fake scares and stuff, then avoid a patrolling guy. That's about it.

You need choices for a horror game, gameplay-wise, to be interesting -- Choices like fight or flight. Or, in the case of Alien Isolation, what gadget to use or whatever.

If I'm making choices about how to react then the suspense is much higher, because things are riding on my decisions. There are choices and stakes.

Soma doesn't have depthful gameplay either, but where Outlast has nothing interesting about its story, Soma has an exceptionally interesting story.

One of my fave horror games is the Forbidden Siren franchise. And haunting grounds too.

Imo, those games provide the depth and story needed

Symphonia

Banned
Until Dawn is a pretty awesome horror game.

Thinking of doing a playthrough for The Backlog Hero. Might even stream it so people can help choosing the outcome or something.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Ugh I don't know why I go into military related threads. The vast majority of GAF are so ignorant of what happens, what is necessary and what our missions actually are

Symphonia

Banned
This week keeps going from bad to worse. Y'all remember the girl I made a thread about last week? Well, we've been talking for the past few days and it just gets more and more complicated. She says she likes me and that she would be with me but she's with someone already -- and they're engaged. Luls, I'm just going to tear my heart out, throw it against a brick wall, and drown my sorrows in a bottle of Jack.

zeemumu

Someone ordered a Coke bottle with my name on it to replace the one that I had been keeping that someone drank. I'm allergic to Coke so it's strictly for novelty purposes but I do really appreciate it. People never do these things for me.

Someone ordered a Coke bottle with my name on it to replace the one that I had been keeping that someone drank. I'm allergic to Coke so it's strictly for novelty purposes but I do really appreciate it. People never do these things for me.

What's in Coke that you're allergic to?

Something in the Secret Formula™?

zeemumu

How about people that dropped from boot camp but still act like their top shit?

How about people who watch UFC and MMA fights on a regular basis and wear MMA gloves around the house with either a Tapout T-shirt or no shirt at all and really want to look like they're deep into MMA but haven't been in a single fight, tournament or otherwise, in their life?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I haven't caught up to GoT but Cersei's new haircut is totally a "let me speak to the manager" haircut

How about people who watch UFC and MMA fights on a regular basis and wear MMA gloves around the house with either a Tapout T-shirt or no shirt at all and really want to look like they're deep into MMA but haven't been in a single fight, tournament or otherwise, in their life?

This is making me cackle.

Symphonia

Banned
What about those who have appeared on Worldstar Hiphop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom