• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
What was the draw of the half life games anyway? Just the narrative or is there some technical reason?

first one was the first to do a lot of scripted storytelling in games...

you know how in games, especially FPS, you always get these little vignettes where scripted story stuff plays out often behind a gate or behind a window or whatever? That's Half-Life

Half-Life 2 pioneered a lot of physics game nonsense

in any case, they've got their place in history but have aged poorly and are horribly overrated when looking at them as an adult

basically trash

MutFox

Banned
Also, I prefer Valves Counter Strike and L4D games, followed by Portal due to co-op...
Then HalfLife, after that TF2, finally DOTA2...

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What was the draw of the half life games anyway? Just the narrative or is there some technical reason?

Well scripted, physics based puzzles, an emphasis on environmental storytelling and skill learning, one of the few games with an AI partner that you didn't have to babysit.

Most of that is common nowadays.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I have experienced both half-life games and all 3 episodes and over time I've come to think they're overrated trash, not worth experiencing anymore. Maybe at a point they were, given some of the new things they were doing, but at this point they have no actual redeeming value other than historical

They are overrated and dated compared to modern day games, but they are classics. They also advanced the idea of physics gameplay more than others.
The obsessive culture around Half Life and particularly HL3 is cringe worthy though.

Because I don't like first-person shooters. I want to see the character I'm playing as. Praise be to games like Skyrim and Battlefront where you're allowed to switch to third-person perspective!

And also my parents were pretty restrictive on what kinds of games we were allowed to get when we were younger.

True, if you aren't a fan of FPS I can understand why you passed them up.

SystemBug

I wonder how large the overlap is between people who have played Half Life and Arkham Asylum. Personally, the only Valve games I've played are Portal, unless you count about ten minutes of a TF2 demo.

Plus, if it works, it works. :)

So what's the lesson here? Get your tongue anesthetized before you bite it next time! :p

I'm actually guessing fans of the HL series would prefer Asylum over City.

I never really a huge fan of Half-Life to be honest but I am glad those games exist. Like if they didn't exist a lot of games would still be shit. I mean most of them still are lol

MutFox

Banned
My favorite scripted FPS game is still Crysis.
The Original.

All the games after were trash.
Warhead was ok, but not nearly as good as the first.

Also, it was lame they never finished the original trilogy for Crysis. (Original, then Warhead)
They left it on a cliffhanger, then went to part 2.
So stupid.

SystemBug

The Original.

Also, it was lame they never finished the original trilogy for Crysis. (Original, then Warhead)
They left it on a Cliffhanger, then went to part 2.

I actually liked 2. I played it through numerous times and you can pretty much completely stealth that game all the way through.

I can't wait for Quantum Break tho

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Original.

They left it on a Cliffhanger, then went to part 2.

Controversial opinion as the game was trashed by reviews but I take Clive Barker's Jericho as my favorite Scripted FPS.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I never really a huge fan of Half-Life to be honest but I am glad those games exist. Like if they didn't exist a lot of games would still be shit

This is my opinion as well. I think I've only played each one twice at most. On-rails storylines like those and others rarely get a second play through from me.

But they both did add a lot of new concepts into the industry that influenced future games and made those future games better.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Hi, how are you holding up? Because I'm a potato.

Iy9ATp8.png

MutFox

Banned
I actually liked 2. I played it through numerous times and you can pretty much completely stealth that game all the way through.

I can't wait for Quantum Break tho

Part 2 felt too linear for me, Crysis 1 had way more possibilities to tackle a scenario.

Controversial opinion as the game was trashed by reviews but I take Clive Barker's Jericho as my favorite Scripted FPS.

Was it trashed?
I've heard some people not liking the final area...

I didn't mind the final area, but it did sort of end on an ok boss and a cliffhanger.
They really should have finished the trilogy.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Was it trashed?
I've heard some people not liking the final area...

I didn't mind the final area, but it did sort of end on an ok boss and a cliffhanger.
They really should have finished the trilogy.
Stuff I remember on top of my head.

- Partner AI was terrible and you would constantly need to revive your partners.

- The level design is mostly old school shooter design so tons of linearity which people were not fond of (Me on the other hand I appreciated that)

- Quick Time Events

- Not much enemy variety

- Cliffhanger ending

MutFox

Banned
Stuff I remember on top of my head.

- Partner AI was terrible and you would constantly need to revive your partners.

- The level design is mostly old school shooter design so tons of linearity which people were not fond of (Me on the other hand I appreciated that)

- Quick Time Events

- Not much enemy variety

- Cliffhanger ending

Don't remember bad AI or linear levels.
I remember given a scenario and basically being able to sneak through or go crazy.
The last area was more linear though

I guess the enemies were mostly soldiers with different weapons and vehicles.
Then aliens in the later parts.

Maybe I'll have to play through it again.
I remember Warhead being a lot more Linear, then Crysis 2 being full on Linear.

for me half-life 2 was awesome because it did this really effective, cinematic, quiet creepiness that worked when compared the bombast of other fps games

I really liked the vehicle sections in the game.
Loved when the music kicked in.

Especially the first sequence,
with the chopper dropping bombs.

Ravenholm is still 2spooky.

I wasn't a big fan of Ravenholm... :|

SystemBug

I always sang out the level name We Don't Go To Ravenholm in the melody of Another Brink In The Wall.

I think it was because I was in my Pink Floyd phase in middle school when the game came out

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I hate daylight savings.. my phone did not switch :\

Tbf I get my spellings from the internet since its pretty much all oral tradition for my family.

Its unfortunate though cause I can't look up if other people celebrate feshangi with chieregi

It is nice to keep the tradition alive. My mom used to make such beautiful easter eggs that I refused to eat them .

Misha

Banned
I hate daylight savings.. my phone did not switch :\

It is nice to keep the tradition alive. My mom used to make such beautiful easter eggs that I refused to eat them .

Blow out the yolk first. The one I posted here doesn't have anything inside so we'll keep it forever

I like you more for not shitting all over it.

4am is my new normal.

It has its problems, obviously. From Batman's
murder spree
to what I thought were incoherent and rushed plot points, but it's a solid entry in the DCU. Sets everything up nicely for Justice League and Wonder Woman.

They still have a long ways to go to be on par with Marvel, but...they did alright.

A Bat-Minus?

A Batfleck minus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom