• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who orders heavy black sweatshirts in preparation for summer? It makes no sense.

Extra warm for those Southern Californian cold sunny nights.

Any recommendations? Classics, YA trash, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever.

Ursula La Guin Earthsea, Hainish Cycle, etc.

More wordy and less on the nose allegories to modern issues:
Guy Gavriel Kay (but not Fionavar Tapastry— others like it but I don't)
Iain M Banks

Misha

Banned
Yeah, I did say makeup in there— forgot 'contouring' though. It's not something I do very often/ever— found makeup tutorials on YT fascinating when I was teaching myself airbrushing.

I had forgotten about intersex— I was thinking of a 100% brain/mind thing for non-binary.

tbf we were talking about brain/mind but i just mean intersex helped me accept non-binary even though they're not necessarily the same thing. basically: if nature decides you don't fit in with the binary then its easier to accept other reasons (though they're arguably nature too considering a lot of it has to do with brain chemistry)

I feel crappy about it but I had to have scientific evidence to understand homosexuality and transgender in general. Imagine denying something that you are because you assume its all in your head. confusing and pretty shitty

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
That moment when you rip your slacks right down the gotdamn groove. D:

Why do I have such bad luck?

Where are the pics?
fire.gif

If they haven't already, they're soon going to be able to add Pizza Hut to their list!

At least sweat wont be visible :p
Eh, I've seen people sweat through heavy black before.

Pizza Thieves.
More like pizza murderers! :p

Actually it's been so long since I've had Pizza Hut pizza that I couldn't really speak towards their quality.

Extra warm for those Southern Californian cold sunny nights.
Actually I think these might be going nationwide. Usually the stuff we print for TBell and PHut are for Twitter contests.

Imagine denying something that you are because you assume its all in your head. confusing and pretty shitty

That would stink.

I had arguments years ago with my shitty grandmother (vs the wonderful one, RIP in peace) about homosexuality being natural and not a choice— but I don't know why (presumably why you had to get scientific reasons— not that this would have or did convince her); I'm perfectly OK with it being a choice— fuck whomever enthusiastically consents.

Actually I think these might be going nationwide. Usually the stuff we print for TBell and PHut are for Twitter contests.

But they don't have sunny nights anywhere but SoCal, so they needn't be black.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Get soup, lots of orange juice and cold and flu meds.
You know those don't actually do much.

I mean nsaids are fine for pain and fever, but cough suppressants efficacy is up to debate.
I saw somewhere recently that vitamin C being good for colds is a myth. I think it was an episode of Adam Ruins Everything.
The body only uses what it needs to function so you basically pee any extra vitamins out.

Oj might have some benefit as it is sugar (energy) and hydration.

Sup babes. I'm in a reading mood, but I'm terrible at finding new books. Since I don't really know anyone who's into reading, I'll just have to ask you freaks instead.
Any recommendations? Classics, YA trash, sci-fi, fantasy, whatever. Gogogogogo.

Red Rising by Pierce Brown (Definitely YA and it adheres to some of those tropes, but it's really entertaining and better written than most dystopian sci-fi YA.)
The Magicians by Lev Grossman (About halfway through this one myself. It's great but mainly focused on interpersonal drama in a realistic magical world. The magic seems to be upping in the second half tho.)
Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff (This one may be 2 literary 4 u. Just kidding. It's great. Every sentence is a piece of art. Reminiscent of Gone Girl in a way but mainly its own thing.)
The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay (Fictional medieval Muslim controlled Spain. Focuses on the reconquest and has fantastic characters. Very low fantasy. There is no magic of any kind. It's a strictly religious and political story.)
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (It'll destroy your soul. And I'll leave it at that. The Great Gay Novel of Our Time™)
Anything Discworld by Terry Pratchett (It's Terry Pratchett.)

Halcyon

Later nerds.

I'm going to buy some cheese on the way home. To eat in the car. Cheese.

I leave you with a picture of me eating my daughter's face.

FgQcEfB.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
I don't like how in shooting games the game's design encourages you to constantly reload to make sure you're topped off, even if you just had an encounter where you fired 2 shots, you'll reload after that to make sure it's full

THIS IS FUCKING R_____ (I don't know if it's okay to use that word or not, but I WANT to)

If you throw the clip out you should lose every bullet in that clip, so you have an important decision to make if you reload with bullets still in the clip

CONSEQUENCES, GAME DESIGNERS! THINGS SHOULD MATTER!

I don't like how in shooting games the game's design encourages you to constantly reload to make sure you're topped off, even if you just had an encounter where you fired 2 shots, you'll reload after that to make sure it's full

THIS IS FUCKING R_____ (I don't know if it's okay to use that word or not, but I WANT to)

If you throw the clip out you should lose every bullet in that clip, so you have an important decision to make if you reload with bullets still in the clip

I get what you're saying. But the average person who plays let's say CoD doesn't give a shit about any of that and focusing on consequences and making it more difficult to get from point A to point B would kill its mass market appeal. Of course, more niche shooters could adopt this design and most likely benefit.

Jobbs

Banned
I get what you're saying. But the average person who plays let's say CoD doesn't give a shit about any of that and focusing on consequences and making it more difficult to get from point A to point B would kill its mass market appeal. Of course, more niche shooters could adopt this design and most likely benefit.

COD sucks, I'm talking about making a GOOD game where decisions must be made and things matter

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Later nerds.

I'm going to buy some cheese on the way home. To eat in the car. Cheese.

I leave you with a picture of me eating my daughter's face.

Open cannibalism is something I just can't stand for.

MutFox

Banned

There are games like that.

Tactical Ops is the first game I played that did that. (Over 15 years ago)
They also had a feature where if you were shot, you'd leave a blood trail.
The lower the health, the more of a blood trail there would be.

Insurgency also has this feature.
Though you don't throw it out, you put it back in your rotation.
So if you feel you're at the end of your clip, you just fire off the remaining rounds.

Insurgency also has this feature.
Though you don't throw it out, you put it back in your rotation.
So if you feel you're at the end of your [magazine], you just fire off the remaining rounds.

Infiltration (great UT mod) and Red Orchestra both do this. I seem to recall one game that had fast reloads in which you discarded the partially empty magazine or slow reloads in which it was placed on your character for reuse later.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wish N64 Goldeneye was as good as it is in my memory

jb1234

The N64/PS1 era is tragic in retrospect.

Some of the ugliest, clunkiest, and most obsolete games ever.

I was watching Feng stream Castlevania 64 and everything about it screamed dated. But especially the terrible camera and lock-on. And how it expected you to make precise jumps without giving you the tools to do so. That's the N64 in a nutshell.

MutFox

Banned
Infiltration (great UT mod) and Red Orchestra both do this. I seem to recall one game that had fast reloads in which you discarded the partially empty magazine or slow reloads in which it was placed on your character for reuse later.

I only played Infiltration for a few hours.
Sorta went with Tactical Ops as my go to UT Mod at the time. :p

Red Orchestra I played too much,
love getting limbs blown off... :D
Haven't played RO2 though, saw it was on sale the other day too.

MutFox

Banned
N64 did have some awesome games.

Mario 64, Zelda: OoT, StarFox 64, F-Zero X...

It was a cool generation only for the fact that you could see what was on the horizon.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Going from N64's blocky ass textures to Gamecube's (relatively) smooth textures blew my mind back then. I remember being impressed by the water in Pikmin, sure, but even things like Luigi's silky smooth hat were amazing coming from the 64 era.

PS1 looked even worse in 3D most of the time, but has more timeless games, ironically. (Parasite Eve, Crash Bandicoot, FFVII come to mind)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Without a doubt. PS2 still has the apotheosis of good JRPG games.

The 16 bit era is largely timeless both aesthetically and gameplay wise.

Exactly. Also the original Xbox had more game variety than their consoles that came after. Even when flopping in Japan they would have some games that would appeal at different audiences from RPGs, Character Action Games and some odd games that some flopped and some gain cult following.

Snes and Genesis era games still kick ass and so pretty. <3

Going from N64's blocky ass textures to Gamecube's (relatively) smooth textures blew my mind back then. I remember being impressed by the water in Pikmin, sure, but even things like Luigi's silky smooth hat were amazing coming from the 64 era.

PS1 looked even worse in 3D most of the time, but has more timeless games, ironically. (Parasite Eve, Crash Bandicoot, FFVII come to mind)

I remember my mind being blown away by Wave Race Blue Storm weather effects. Those were the days.

I was watching Feng stream Castlevania 64 and everything about it screamed dated. But especially the terrible camera and lock-on. And how it expected you to make precise jumps without giving you the tools to do so. That's the N64 in a nutshell.

The single control stick and the three pronged alien design still haunt me. And fuck those C buttons too while we're at it. The D-pad was awful as well. I guess A and B did what they were supposed to do. Just a terrible controller all around.

I remember having this reaction to Oblivion on 360. lmao

Now of course I think it looks objectively terrible in its vanilla form as the sheen of "next gen graphics" wore off. Dragon Quest VIII is a year older than it and still looks amazing to this day. Art style is vastly important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom