• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
KqHVDUD.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
I'm really not seeing an issue with that pose.

I just took a glance at things but I'm guessing it's because it's an extremely cliched pose use to minimize women over and over particularly on the cover of things to just tits and ass. "How do we position her to show both her tits and her ass? Oh, here's how" and it's a trope, a cliche. There's a whole history surrounding that particular pose and I kinda understand how it's become distasteful.

Her outfit and general appearance? That's not a problem (in my opinion) It's the particular pose and how that pose has been weaponized over and over

Just a guess I didn't read the article

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Equal sexualization I say!. Bulge physics for guys and more crotch and butt shots too. Also water dripping on the male chest.

Jobbs

Banned
It does look dumb. Removing it on the basis of it being a dumb looking pose makes sense. Removing it on the basis that the contours of her butt are visible doesn't make much sense to me.

there are two components to this, the design/appearance of the character, and the way the game treats the character through camera angles and other directorial decisions. You could overly sexualize or objectify a character in a way that would offend some people with just one of these things and not the other.

I don't have the full context, just a still shot, I don't know what all the camera does or what all the character does, but Overwatch is one of those games that is all inclusive so if something is making some people uncomfortable I would understand the desire to tweak it

Misha

Banned
It does look dumb. Removing it on the basis of it being a dumb looking pose makes sense. Removing it on the basis that the contours of her butt are visible doesn't make much sense to me.

But the purpose of the dumb looking pose is to show her butt. They're directly related

But Yes you can have tasteful pics that have a visible butt contour in them

FUME5

When was the last time you saw someone stand facing away fromyou while looking over their shoulder with their but being the most noticeable part of their pose?

Uh, at the beach 2 weeks ago?

I don't have a problem with it being removed, but I don't find anything particularly offensive about it.

I just took a glance at things but I'm guessing it's because it's an extremely cliched pose use to minimize women over and over particularly on the cover of things to just tits and ass. "How do we position her to show both her tits and her ass? Oh, here's how" and it's a trope, a cliche. There's a whole history surrounding that particular pose and I kinda understand how it's become distasteful.

Her outfit and general appearance? That's not a problem (in my opinion) It's the particular pose and how that pose has been weaponized over and over

Just a guess I didn't read the article

Yeah, I understand, but we're fast approaching the point where you are not going to be able to show a female character from any angle that includes their body without someone claiming offense.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Give some body hair to some of the DOA guys add a bulge and bulge and muscle physics. Sweat, water and dirt effects improved and Im a happy camper. Oh and give them speedos and thongs and stuff like that for equal fanservice.

Honestly wouldn't mind that. Sadly the outrage would be enormous.

---

butts
Tracer is the only one they have an issue with.

Vazra

I find it disturbing how people are okay with extreme gore but nudity is a big issue. Men specifically seem really insecure when it comes to nude men or men in little clothing but seem okay with decapitating people or shooting heads off or cutting limbs. We're born naked and we are making something that is natural a big deal. Sure sometimes it can be too much but I dont see much uproar when gore fanservice is made compare to sexy fanservice.

Case in point:

Are you guys out of your mind?

For istance, I think DoA Xtreme is ridicolous and cringeworthy. You now I'm not biased in stating the following.
I know where this naked man thing cames from. Gays and women are like "we have no problem with your naked chicks so you don't have to get uncinfortable with our naked man. Don't be such a baby." Well gues what? It's common sense that straight men get unconfortable looking at near naked muscolar hairless men. Women have zero problems at looking at other females and profusely compliment each other about their bodies.
Men and women aren't the same. Also straight and gays aren't the same. They like different things and get unconfortable with different things.

Do you like naked men? Have a naked men thing on your own. Why people feel the urge to push their agenda to other people is something I can't understand.

This was linked in the GayGAF thread. I lost brain cells reading it.

FUME5

You go to weird beaches :|

Someone is wearing a bikini, standing knee deep in the surf and looks back over her shoulder to see where you are is weird to you?

EDIT

That quoted post only serves to highlight that users own insecurities. Like how overtly sexualised female characters with ridiculous proportions may play into the insecurities of girls and women who play games. The fucking idiot.

Misha

Banned
Someone is wearing a bikini, standing knee deep in the surf and looks back over her shoulder to see where you are is weird to you?
Yes? Normally people turn around
Thats my stance on this. We should be embracing sexualisation, not hiding from it.

I don't want it in every game though. Make it part of the style and we're cool, randomly add it into a game with an entirely different tone and I'm back to groaning

Vazra

Thats my stance on this. We should be embracing sexualisation, not hiding from it.

Nudity is a natural thing and it can be beautiful, funny, uncomfortable depending the media. Films do nudity and it can be used in comedy and romance and people seem to be alright with that but videogames seems like a boys club where they can only choose what is done. Also that content you can pretty much skip ahead if its a cutscenes or make it as optional content to the game. The same way I see people telling others to buy games that meet their "moral values" the same they can do when that kind of fanservice is done. Its all about giving everyone options. There is no need for censorship but to create content that can be enjoyed by everyone. Not every game needs sexualization and not every game needs to be for the boys. There are a lot of markets that can be explored but are not because of fear of the big boys feeling threatened when there is no reason to feel threatened when their games will continue to exist.

Granadier

Case in point:

This was linked in the GayGAF thread. I lost brain cells reading it.

"Naked girls are fine because straight men like them and I speak for all girls that they don't mind them. Naked guys are bad because their muscular bodies make my penis tingle."

smh. that post was cancer.

Vazra

"Naked girls are fine because straight men like them and I speak for all girls that they don't mind them. Naked guys are bad because their muscular bodies make my penis tingle."

smh. that post was cancer.

LOL the smell of insecurity on that post was real.

Granadier

I find it disturbing how people are okay with extreme gore but nudity is a big issue.

Replying to this older post as well because it makes a very, very good point. For example, Mortal Kombat X has pretty much every imaginable evisceration and mutilation to the body possible in graphic HD. If a game has anything sexual though it's hounded.

FUME5

LOL the smell of insecurity on that post was real.

Damn those near naked muscular hairless men for making him feel this way!

Replying to this older post as well because it makes a very, very good point. For example, Mortal Kombat X has pretty much every imaginable evisceration and mutilation to the body possible in graphic HD. If a game has anything sexual though it's hounded.

I'm guessing that the people who are the most vocal about this are sexually repressed and know they are far more likely to act upon a sexual urge if they consume media that endorses sex / sexuality /sexual activity than they are likely to act upon a violent urge given the same stimulus.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Depends. The ridiculous gore in Bioshock: Infinite or The Last of Us really took away from the experience. In the Last of Us, I had to laugh out loud on just how over the top it was. Especially after an emotionally charged scene.

Although, how something so gory like Hannibal can make it on network TV but a topless shot, or even strong language can be banned is just odd.

Granadier

I'm guessing that the people who are the most vocal about this are sexually repressed and know they are far more likely to act upon a sexual urge if they consume media that endorses sex / sexuality /sexual activity than they are likely to act upon a violent urge given the same stimulus.

Precisely, which also can be expanded to cover the majority opinion on sex in the States right now.

Depends. The ridiculous gore in Bioshock or The Last of Us really took away from the experience. In the Last of Us, I had to laugh out loud on just how over the top it was. Especially after an emotionally charged scene.

I felt the same with the newer Tomb Raider. The scripted death scenes were just so over the top.

Misha

Banned

Just to add that asterisk, most sexuality being complained about is cause its disproportionately affecting a certain demographic.

Carry on though cause the overall point is absolutely true

I wonder if anyone has done a top ten (Non-puzzle) games where no one gets killed
I'm having trouble thinking of anything that isn't a kids game

FUME5

I wonder if anyone has done a top ten (Non-puzzle) games where no one gets killed

Uuuuh, if it's not a puzzle, racing or sports game? I can't think of a single one, but some form of conflict is basically required for all genres outside of those three.

zeemumu

Just to add that asterisk, most sexuality being complained about is cause its disproportionately affecting a certain demographic.

They'd all be racing and sports games and a few platformers.

Granadier

I skimmed through your conversation on Overwatch butts and all I could think of was this.

I'm dying at Thor covering himself with his cape, hahaha.

Not quite sure what the first part means, (please explain more so I can understand), but I would like to see that list too.

---

Similar topic, Witcher 3 did a great job imo of not limiting the sexualization to just the females.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom