• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Depends. The ridiculous gore in Bioshock: Infinite or The Last of Us really took away from the experience. In the Last of Us, I had to laugh out loud on just how over the top it was. Especially after an emotionally charged scene.

Although, how something so gory like Hannibal can make it on network TV but a topless shot, or even strong language can be banned is just odd.

Violence isn't overlooked completely. The bar for violence tolerance is just significantly higher. A few games that come to mind that cross that bar were Manhunt and that other game about going on a murder spree...Rampage, was it? The Rage? Something along those lines.

I didn't find The Last of Us to be that violent. The scene cuts out as soon as your character gets bitten before any of the real shit happens.

I'd like to take a look at the media's reaction to GTA San Andreas and see what got more flak: The violence or that Hot Coffee mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamLxGxeDqI

I now what this song is because I used to hear in an Hyundai car commercial back in the aughts, iirc

Also, goddamn the latest Ghost Song video looks pretty damn hype

lol one of the youtube commenters said Ghost Song and Hyper Light Drifter were going to be the Super Metroid and LoZ: ALttP of the modern era.

Gettin a little head of yourself rando youtube commentor.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Violence isn't overlooked completely. The bar for violence tolerance is just significantly higher. A few games that come to mind that cross that bar were Manhunt and that other game about going on a murder spree...Rampage, was it? The Rage? Something along those lines.

I didn't find The Last of Us to be that violent. The scene cuts out as soon as your character gets bitten before any of the real shit happens.

I'd like to take a look at the media's reaction to GTA San Andreas and see what got more flak: The violence or that Hot Coffee mod.

I'm more about the jarring difference environmental story telling and then having your character brutally murder someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMskyFpAgg
spoilers, obviosly

Or melee kills in Bioshock.

Usually, the cut scene stuff isn't so bad.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thats my stance on this. We should be embracing sexualisation, not hiding from it.
Eh, call me a prude, but I think the opposite. All this call for male sexualization is the opposite of where we should be heading. Less female sexualization is the response I'd like to see.

tumblr_lzvc4jrt7N1ropa0eo1_500.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
One of the many reasons The Last of Us was so effective and so well done is that the in game violence (and cutscene violence) was acknowledged by the characters (namely Ellie) and contributed to the arcs of the characters

FUME5

Eh, call me a prude, but I think the opposite. All this call for male sexualization is the opposite of where we should be heading. Less female sexualization is the response I'd like to see.

Like I said above, sexualised characters definitely have a place in the media we consume.

Honesty in representation rather than demonisation is needed.

Prude.

A Fish Aficionado

One of the many reasons The Last of Us was so effective and so well done is that the in game violence (and cutscene violence) was acknowledged by the characters (namely Ellie) and contributed to the arcs of the characters

But the hyper violence is a like a theme in Bioshock Infinite. Like there was an intent behind it

But it's so cartoony. Like Mortal Kombat fatalalities

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
But the hyper violence is a like a theme in Bioshock Infinite. Like there was an intent behind it

I think there can be mindless violence and meaningful violence. Its all about the media and being able to accept that there is different things that can be made with the media and not everything needs to be nudity or violence but have different products that appeal the different audiences. Obviously not talking about illegal content that is not allowed in any media form of course. There is games that can avoid all violence, gore and nudity in the same way those things can be part of it. In movie form we have more variety of contents than videogames which is usually rethreads of concepts that have been done since the early days of gaming.

FUME5

I understand why it gets hated on, but I enjoyed Infinite for what it was.

Need to get around to playing the DLC at some point.

zeemumu

I'm more about the jarring difference environmental story telling and then having your character brutally murder someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMskyFpAgg
spoilers, obviosly

Or melee kills in Bioshock.

Usually, the cut scene stuff isn't so bad.

Yeah, but when I think jarring ass video game violence, I think of God of War 3.

Despite the reputation of the series there are a few sentimental moments that are quickly shoved aside by a mangled corpse or snapping a woman's neck.

I have no problem with sexualized characters, but it gets old after a little while. The problem (to me) isn't showing ass and tits, it's devs who think that's a shortcut to making a character interesting.

Vazra

I have no problem with sexualized characters, but it gets old after a little while. The problem (to me) isn't showing ass and tits, it's devs who think that's a shortcut to making a character interesting.

Absolutely understandable and sexualization doesn't really add any depth to the character except the look at the sexy pose or the sexy clothes. Main issue with most sexualized characters is that they lack a personality or story behind them and their sole purpose become to serve fanservice.

zeemumu

Absolutely understandable and sexualization doesn't really add any depth to the character except the look at the sexy pose or the sexy clothes. Main issue with most sexualized characters is that they lack a personality or story behind them and their sole purpose become to serve fanservice.

Where does Bayonetta weigh in on this? She has a personality outside of the sexuality but it does make up a significant portion of her character because witches.

Vazra

Where does Bayonetta weigh in on this? She has a personality outside of the sexuality but it does make up a significant portion of her character because witches.

Bayonetta basically embraces the fact that she is attractive and flaunt it with a wink and a smile. She knows she can beat up anyone and still look good at it and her actions in the game pretty much show her not being serious despite big encounters happening. She even mocks everyone in the game so she is pretty much a sass machine. Bayonetta 2 the tone of the character actually is more serious considering what is going on with the story but from time to time still cracks a few jokes here and there.

EDIT: I find absurd the RPG characters acting shy and innocent when wearing dominatrix like outfits.

A Fish Aficionado

The high contrast between beauty and savagery is like central to BI. It wasn't supposed to be subtle.

It's edge for the sake of edge because it looks cool, not some philosophic treatise. Same in Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Yes, I understand it's a videogame and you have to have enemies and have a good time shooting baddies, but they call attention to it in the story and it's a legitimate criticism.

SystemBug

My main issue with sexualized characters is that they are mostly always one gender and used to titulate.

Sexualization of female characters is damaging.

In the same way having underrepresented groups be protrayed negatively.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/24/shooting-the-arabs-how-video-games-perpetuate-muslim-stereotype/

zeemumu

I actually kinda liked Bioshock Infinite up until about 2/3rd's of the way through the game where the timeline started to get confusing. And this is coming from someone who can follow Kingdom Hearts' storyline. The idea of hijacking ideas from the future (the various musical covers that you can find and the design ideas for Columbia) was a cool utilization of it but they went a little overboard with it.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

Yeah, it has a lot to do with context to me. Like I don't mind Senran Kagura or DOA. The over sexualization makes sense in the context of those games, it's what they are. But what bugs me is when a female in an otherwise serious game is defined by being nothing but a sexpot or her only purpose is to be eye candy or to fuck the MC.

I find it's mostly acceptable to sometimes close to being a liiiiiittle too much purely due to the campy and over the top mood of both games. (so it makes sense based on the tone)
Also, Rodin gets just as sexualised as Bayo and Jeanne in 2 so I feel it's more equal ground/everyone wants to fuck everyone.

Mostly I ignore it anyway in game, I tend to white noise a lot of character action stories.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Nailed it.

Naked characters aren't going to make them automatically interesting characters.

zeemumu

Yeah, it has a lot to do with context to me. Like I don't mind Senran Kagura or DOA. The over sexualization makes sense in the context of those games, it's what they are. But what bugs me is when a female in an otherwise serious game is defined by being nothing but a sexpot or her only purpose is to be eye candy or to fuck the MC.

Like the MK characters who wore skin-tight leather thongs to a death tournament or The Quiet's choice of clothing for a sniper (the justification was kinda stupid).

Vazra

My main issue with sexualized characters is that they are mostly always one gender and used to titulate.

Sexualization of female characters is damaging.

In the same way having underrepresented groups be protrayed negatively.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/24/shooting-the-arabs-how-video-games-perpetuate-muslim-stereotype/

I actually talked how there should be more sexualization for both genders overall. There is different markets and making content that appeals to everyone should be a priority. There can be games without sexualization or with male sexualization etc. It's all about making an environment that would give something to everyone instead of a smaller audience. This also applies to LGBT characters and minority groups. We need to give more content to everyone so things balance out instead of just censoring something. By balancing I mean making sexualized men and games without sexualization at all to appeal to all the people out there. We need to create more content without stopping the existing one.

SystemBug

It's edge for the sake of edge because it looks cool, not some philosophic treatise. Same in Uncharted and Tomb Raider. Yes, I understand it's a videogame and you have to have enemies and have a good time shooting baddies, but they call attention to it in the story and it's a legitimate criticism.
The use of violence is different in Uncharted and Tomb Raider. They aren't used as a thematic element. When you first use your hook shot to kill somebody the feeling the player get is totally different because it uses Columbia as a backdrop. A place so beautiful, pretty, and civil that you wouldn't expect this kind of savagery.

Did they hit all their notes? Probably not but they tired and for that I can give the game credit.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Also, Bioshock Infinite is absolute garbage from the fucking ground up, the only redeeming feature being the absolutely squandered art design.

The gameplay is the most banal arena shooter that betrays the game's paper thin world. The story is so fucking trite and up its own ass with a fucking childish interpretation of MWI that doesn't even follow its own logic. It is just so fucking try hard, it's like 8th grade goth poetry.

Vazra

Also, Bioshock Infinite is absolute garbage from the fucking ground up, the only redeeming feature being the absolutely squandered art design.

The gameplay is the most banal arena shooter that betrays the game's paper thin world. The story is so fucking trite and up its own ass with a fucking childish interpretation of MWI that doesn't even follow its own logic. It is just so fucking try hard, it's like 8th grade goth poetry.

Glad you said it. Also Elizabeth was as annoying as Navi.

SystemBug

I actually talked how there should be more sexualization for both genders overall. There is different markets and making content that appeals to everyone should be a priority. There can be games without sexualization or with male sexualization etc. It's all about making an environment that would give something to everyone instead of a smaller audience. This also applies to LGBT characters and minority groups. We need to give more content to everyone so things balance out instead of just censoring something. By balancing I mean making sexualized men and games without sexualization at all to appeal to all the people out there. We need to create more content without stopping the existing one.
But having more sexualized men doesn't fix the issue that there are mostly sexualized women in video game. That's not even the same issue really.

Jobbs

Banned

you're getting me all excited. you hate what I hate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom