• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The use of violence is different in Uncharted and Tomb Raider. They aren't used as a thematic element. When you first use your hook shot to kill somebody the feeling the player get is totally different because it uses Columbia as a backdrop. A place so beautiful, pretty, and civil that you wouldn't expect this kind of savagery.

Did they hit all their notes? Probably not but they tired and for that I can give the game credit.

You're giving the game way too much credit. I got the whole seedy underbelly and how everything is a facade from when you first appear in Columbia. You don't need to bang the player over the head with " yes this is a utopia for specific people. look at how great it is. Oh look racism! Violence! see how bad these are! And now we have juxtaposition."

At least the first Bioshock had more going for it by using Objectivism, since Rand was a nutcase.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
But having more sexualized men doesn't fix the issue that there are mostly sexualized women in video game. That's not even the same issue really.

But stopping it will make people who buy those products be annoyed and scream at the censorship or "SJW". Look Fire Emblem censorship, Fatal Frame Censorship or Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 not coming to the West. The thing is to make stuff to appeal to different audiences without taking away from others. It doesnt change they are more sexualized but it should open up space for more audiences.

SystemBug

You're giving the game way too much credit. I got the whole seedy underbelly from when you first appear in Columbia. You don't need to bang the player over the head with " yes this is a utopia for specific people. look at how great it is. Oh look racism! Violence! see how bad these are"
I'm just glad the game atleast tried. Most games are just so been there done that. Atleast the game tried to do something with what it had.

Also I don't think I'm giving the game too much credit.

But having more sexualized men doesn't fix the issue that there are mostly sexualized women in video game. That's not even the same issue really.

I think it's easy to get hung up on the term "sexualised" and take it as a binary approach of "have more men with no shirts" or "have less men with no shirts", where I think the problem lies is that there's no real variety.

My mentality is a warped combination of both Lilith's and Vazra's where why aren't there more sexualised personalities?
Why not have a male character who is sexually open and have that as part of his character rather than THE defining character trait?

A lot of people hang shit on Bayonetta, but as campy as fuck as she is, her sexuality is a huge part of her character but still has other facets of her personality that push through defining her.

It's early and I can't words so my point is horribly constructed but there ya go.
(Just to be clear, this isn't really replying to your point per se, I'm just throwing my words out into the void using your post as a jumping point)

Also, I'm gonna do some more Earthbound streaming in 5

Join for fun times...or don't. I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO PEOPLE

Jobbs

Banned
there are almost no interesting characters in video games in general

mostly just cliches

video game writing is still at a very infantile phase in general

SystemBug

But stopping it will make people who buy those products be annoyed and scream at the censorship or "SJW". Look Fire Emblem censorship, Fatal Frame Censorship or Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 not coming to the West. The thing is to make stuff to appeal to different audiences without taking away from others. It doesnt change they are more sexualized but it should open up space for more audiences.
Fire Emblem should have never had it to begin with for it to be censored. Stop pandering to that demographic and fix those issues. Fatal Frame shouldn't have those costumes in it either. Why should it? It's so against what the game stands for.

You have a female character and your just gonna put sexy outfits on her? What the fuck.

Jobbs

Banned
Outside of a very select few examples, DING DING DING! Correct for 50 points

If The Last of Us had been a movie instead of a game, I would have thought it was very good to great. Since it was a video game, it was like a transcendent experience, because video games in general just have the most shitass fuck fuck FUCK writing and characters ever -- So if you just write competent or interesting characters, as would be seen in 100 movies per year, you've got yourself GOAT game writing.

The Order is a marriage of the highest excellence in art and technical achievement with the most juvenile and braindead writing (not to mention boneheaded game design) I've ever seen

It's amazing to see this happen

Why not just hire good writers to go along with the world class artists and engineers? It seems like a lower bar

I think it's easy to get hung up on the term "sexualised" and take it as a binary approach of "have more men with no shirts" or "have less men with no shirts", where I think the problem lies is that there's no real variety.

My mentality is a warped combination of both Lilith's and Vazra's where why aren't there more sexualised personalities?
Why not have a male character who is sexually open and have that as part of his character rather than THE defining character trait?

A lot of people hang shit on Bayonetta, but as campy as fuck as she is, her sexuality is a huge part of her character but still has other facets of her personality that push through defining her.

It's early and I can't words so my point is horribly constructed but there ya go.
(Just to be clear, this isn't really replying to your point per se, I'm just throwing my words out into the void using your post as a jumping point)

Also, I'm gonna do some more Earthbound streaming in 5

Join for fun times...or don't. I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT TO DO PEOPLE

DmC Dante is my favorite example of that but too many virgin boys and series purists hated on it. Saints Row is another series I'll give credit for flagrantly sexualizing everything. I don't not want that, I just want it to be carried well.

Enjoy your stream! I'd jump in but I have company coming over soon. :)

Vazra

Fire Emblem should have never had it to begin with for it to be censored. Stop pandering to that demographic and fix those issues. Fatal Frame shouldn't have those costumes in it either. Why should it? It's so against what the game stands for.

You have a female character and your just gonna put sexy outfits on her? What the fuck.
Fatal Frame there is a specific character that is a gravure model so to that character and that scene it shouldn't be a big deal but the alt outfits are just that. Fire Emblem had dating stuff in previous games but those didn't make it here.

Another option would be giving people censorship options in the game to skip that content or censor it like some games do with blood and gore.

OH GOD. MY INTERNET FREAKED OUT.

It's good now.

Edit : I'll be streaming for another hour and a bit. Providing nothing breaks...again.
I really need to call the ISP AGAIN

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Fatal Frame there is a specific character that is a gravure model so to that character and that scene it shouldn't be a big deal but the alt outfits are just that. Fire Emblem had dating stuff in previous games but those didn't make it here.

Another option would be giving people censorship options in the game to skip that content or censor it like some games do with blood and gore.

Changing some content in localization is NOT CENSORSHIP. Censorship is a form of suppression, you aren't suppressing anything by changing some content that is kinda lame anyways,

Turin

Banned
I'd just like creators to take their female characters as seriously as they would their male characters in the same position.

It's a creators prerogative what to do in regards to "sexualization" but I'd hope most will try to be sensible about it.

Vazra

Changing some content in localization is NOT CENSORSHIP. Censorship is a form of suppression, you aren't suppressing anything by changing some content that is kinda lame anyways,

I dont mind the content change but there could be more options. Its not that hard to give people options.

I'd just like creators to take their female characters as seriously as they would their male characters in the same position.

It's a creators prerogative what to do in regards to "sexualization" but I'd hope most will try to be sensible about it.

I really like how GRRM writes female characters. He writes them like they're people and not mere window dressing or a prop which is still all too common in most fantasy. But it is getting better. (Let's ignore the show's writing and handling of most of its female characters.) Joe Abercrombie also comes to mind.

Vazra

Since we talking about these things we should also get more body variety. Most characters have model bodies or body building bodies. Also more LGBT representation would be nice.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms 3 is one of my favorite female characters (and she's the protagonist, too!)

Look at this badass.

ieuyw5cjvfnhwvmgv5f8.jpg

Wild.Arms.full.127901.jpg

She's a cool character that stands on her own, and gender is hardly an issue outside of her design. More characters like this please.

Turin

Banned
I really like how GRRM writes female characters. He writes them like they're people and not mere window dressing or a prop which is still all too common in most fantasy. But it is getting better. (Let's ignore the show's writing and handling of most of its female characters.) Joe Abercrombie also comes to mind.

True. Even with a less central character like Val. You can tell that he's interested in Val. He can see things from her perspective.

Also, I don't think Melisandre ever strips down in the books besides for the shadow baby scene. I really liked her one chapter she got in ADWD. I wonder if D&D did....

Jobbs

Banned
Since we talking about these things we should also get more body variety. Most characters have model bodies or body building bodies. Also more LGBT representation would be nice.

TLOU has multiple gay peeps and htey aren't stereotypes

Kevyt

This shit still makes me laugh.

You forgot to say that somehow she is an empowered character because of it.

/s

Jobbs

Banned
Is it lead?

no but he plays a key role in the game's events

when we meet him in the game it's only briefly, he's stuck in a stasis pod and has been there for hundreds of years, so his life is basically over

we don't learn anything about him then (he doesn't talk with a lisp or tell you about his gay thirst or anything) but another character talks about him later in optional conversations and mentions some things that allude to the fact that he was gay

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

/s
Careful, Bayo has a strong defense force on GAF.

If The Last of Us had been a movie instead of a game, I would have thought it was very good to great. Since it was a video game, it was like a transcendent experience, because video games in general just have the most shitass fuck fuck FUCK writing and characters ever -- So if you just write competent or interesting characters, as would be seen in 100 movies per year, you've got yourself GOAT game writing.

The Order is a marriage of the highest excellence in art and technical achievement with the most juvenile and braindead writing (not to mention boneheaded game design) I've ever seen

It's amazing to see this happen

Why not just hire good writers to go along with the world class artists and engineers? It seems like a lower bar

I've heard friends say that the Order was an amazing story and I felt my brain leak out of my ears a little bit.

I think the biggest concern is that we need to start having script editors in games. A lot of stories seem to have great foundation but fall apart within the first hour

DmC Dante is my favorite example of that but too many virgin boys and series purists hated on it. Saints Row is another series I'll give credit for flagrantly sexualizing everything. I don't not want that, I just want it to be carried well.

Enjoy your stream! I'd jump in but I have company coming over soon. :)

Saints Row I love in general for just doing over-the-top <insert thing here>, especially 3 and being completely unabashed by it :p

/s

Damn, I'm really lucky I noticed the /s. Otherwise I would've really misinterpreted the post.
Context is really important!

AcridMeat

Banned
*Note this is me catching up on the thread*
Netflix shows don't count as traditional tv

but if they did I would be in full agreement with the inclusion of Deborah Ann Woll, Kristen Ritter and the name of the girl playing Kimmy Schmidt

wowza

also Dormer sucked because of that stupid side shaved haircut

909a0cf16f40e10aaa647126f3e79cb7.jpg

ladies, this is stupid. don't ever do this
I know we discussed this but I think she was hot as heck there.
Awwwwwwwww yeah. This is good.
RGhQMfR.gif

I've never really listened to Alice in 2chainz before. Gonna fix that tonight! What's their best album? Dirt?
Dirt was my first because it was a handmedown from my sister, but I'd say maybe Jar Of Flies is their best.
FloatOn bae
HsXlaAk.gif
I had some young boy feelings because of her in that movie. I think it was my 10th birthday that I saw that in theaters.
Eh. Boobs are boobs.
They're booberrific.
I don't like how in shooting games the game's design encourages you to constantly reload to make sure you're topped off, even if you just had an encounter where you fired 2 shots, you'll reload after that to make sure it's full

THIS IS FUCKING R_____ (I don't know if it's okay to use that word or not, but I WANT to)

If you throw the clip out you should lose every bullet in that clip, so you have an important decision to make if you reload with bullets still in the clip

CONSEQUENCES, GAME DESIGNERS! THINGS SHOULD MATTER!
All depends on what you're trying to do with your game. I've played shooters that have that mechanic, and while it's very cool, sometimes one prefers to fast paced nature of an arcade shooter.
I would like to see the Kimi Raikkonen in videogames instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OsYm1bVbEs
I fucking love Kimi. I should change my avatar back to the GOAT soon.
q2Ce5Qo.jpg

He's been watching over my music tumblr heading ever since it was created.
I've heard friends say that the Order was an amazing story and I felt my brain leak out of my ears a little bit.
A friend of mine who isn't as huge into games last weekend (over a week ago) was clammering about how good The Division's story was. It freaked me out that he was serious.

I think the problem is development cost is so high that investing in making a AAA story that is exceptional wouldn't be worth it.

SolVanderlyn

RGhQMfR.gif

What is the origin of this Pingu character?

A friend of mine who isn't as huge into games last weekend (over a week ago) was clammering about how good The Division's story was. It freaked me out that he was serious.

I think the problem is development cost is so high that investing in making a AAA story that is exceptional wouldn't be worth it.

Oh WOW. I honestly didn't even think that the Division had a story beyond "Virus happened. Go do the thing"

Yikes :| . I want to think maybe he's talking about the world building? Maybe?

Also, yeah you're pretty much right there. I still think you could slot some editing into the pre-production phase BUT script/scene editing is nowhere near as easy to do in games as it is in film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom