• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
Dirt was my first because it was a handmedown from my sister, but I'd say maybe Jar Of Flies is their best.

I'd say Dirt, Jar of Flies and Tripod are interchangeable for me.

I suspect I enjoy the sardonic tone of Tripod more than a lot of people. It also has Frogs which is one of their very best songs imo.

Jobbs

Banned
This is the second time you've linked Previously Recorded and I think I'm finally in love with those two :p

"The world's greatest genius....built a rifle scope..."

"Bullshit :) "

Amazing haha

oh it gets better

that's just the beginning

BTW, their MGS5 review was hilarious

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have that game unopened

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah the Order isn't even that bad.

hahahahaha

those assholes are so smug and full of themselves. It must be grating to live life so petty and eager to articulate the artifice.

reminds me a lot of the half in the bag duo. urgh

they have negative and positive reviews, I don't think they're assholes, they're just funny

Incidentally, they HATED Alien Isolation, which I loved, but I still enjoy their review of it. Just shows I'm really mature, honestly

they have negative and positive reviews, I don't think they're assholes, they're just funny

Incidentally, they HATED Alien Isolation, which I loved, but I still enjoy their review of it. Just shows I'm really mature, honestly

Don't most people hate Alien Isolation though? Or is there another Alien game I'm confusing it with? (half of Prometheus is the only part of the Alien franchise I've invested in)

Assholes can still be funny, especially if you agree with them. They just tend to be more polarizing, like Jon Blow and Phil Fish who I like.

Jobbs

Banned
I mean whats so funny about that? The game is average.

It has good things and bad things in it.

I'm sorry, it was a bit dickish of me to laugh at that.

But it's pretty much the ultimate example of everything I hate about game writing and game design rolled into one package. I like the potential of the setting but they just completely squandered it.

For example, why am I shooting lame dudes with guns the whole game? Why can't it be more of a monster game? And if it's a game about werewolves, why weren't these rolled out more slowly, like halfway into the game, to build proper tension first? Then have them actually be threatening?

And what about vampires?

Don't most people hate Alien Isolation though? Or is there another Alien game I'm confusing it with? (half of Prometheus is the only part of the Alien franchise I've invested in)

Assholes can still be funny, especially if you agree with them. They just tend to be more polarizing, like Jon Blow and Phil Fish who I like.

Alien Isolation seems to be divisive. Some people hate it, but a lot of people GOTY'd it, myself included. I recognize some of the criticisms against it, but admire it immensely for all it tried to do and all it got right, and just the bare fact that it's a game in the AAA space actually taking risks and committing to a vision. A lesser studio would have gotten nervous and turned it into a generic shooter.

It also happens to be the only game of its kind, nothing else is quite like it to this day. The experience and the freshness of it really resonated with me.

For example, why am I shooting lame dudes with guns the whole game? Why can't it be more of a monster game? And if it's a game about werewolves, why weren't these rolled out more slowly, like halfway into the game, to build proper tension first? Then have them actually be threatening?

And what about vampires?

Okay I love vampires and werewolves more than most people, so I would have loved to see that, but I wonder why not levy the same concern at The Last of Us? Why is it mostly other humans you're facing instead of zombies? Right?

Alien Isolation seems to be divisive. Some people hate it, but a lot of people GOTY'd it, including me. I recognize some of the criticisms against it, but admire it immensely for all it tried to and all it got right, and just the bare fact that it's a game in the AAA space actually taking risks and committing to a vision.

Yeah, I get that and I appreciate it. I just think it's a bad example of being okay with them hating the game because you've already accepted the game's flaws, so this (in theory) doesn't tear it down any further.

SystemBug

I don't have problem with assholes which are creatives. Asshole reviewers? LOL PLEASE

I'm sorry, it was a bit dickish of me to laugh at that.

But it's pretty much the ultimate example of everything I hate about game writing and game design rolled into one package. I like the potential of the setting but they just completely murdered any potential for a fun game.

And what about vampires?

I guess it wouldn't make sense from the character perspective because the Order has been hunting werewolves for like centuries so they are probably used to it.

Speaking about shooting lame dudes with guns, the gunplay and feedback actually felt pretty good imo.

also games don't have to be fun. the sooner we get rid of that mentality the better.

I don't have problem with assholes which are creatives. Asshole reviewers? LOL PLEASE

Right. I don't much like reviewers to begin with considering they don't add any value to the world. I have never found a reviewer whose tastes could be generally said to align with my own. They always differ some significant portion of the time. So when they act smug like "how dare Ready At Dawn serve us this mediocre game instead of a 10/10 experience" it's like go do something that actually helps people. Thanks.

I guess I shouldn't downplay the catharsis these overly analytic reviewers bring but I consider that of much lesser value to actual media.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Things that annoy me in videogames

Unnecessary QTE - If I'm already in the middle of combat don't drop me QTE unless it is a finisher that doesnt require spamming the button or doing combination of buttons. Another thing please dont make a combo of QTEs if the animation will be the same one over and over cause then there is no real gratification and maybe prefer to make my own combos instead)

Long Tutorials - If the tutorial is long make it optional or put it on a damn manual. Sometimes people can take hand holding to the extremes.

Bad Pacing - If the game takes 20 hours to "get good" I probably wont reach that point.

Making my character stop moving or walk slowly for a conversation in an action game when the conversation can be had at the normal movement without issues or in a cutscene. I get maybe it is important but if I want to focus on the dialogue I can pace myself (Totally understandable for story driven games but action games it simply kills the pace)

There are others but I suddenly got mentally blocked so I may edit this later.

As for the reviews talk I kinda stopped reading them unless Im really curious or concerned about certain aspects about the games I'm interested in. I've enjoyed some poorly reviewed games in the same way I may dislike some AAA 10/10 reviewed games so I just look at the good and bad said in the reviews without caring much of the score and see if the bads seem really bad in my book or might be something of taste or not as bad as it sounds. I'm a apparently a weirdo but for most of the part I usually know what I like without checking much reviews or people's opinions on the games.

Jobbs

Banned
Okay I love vampires and werewolves more than most people, so I would have loved to see that, but I wonder why not levy the same concern at The Last of Us? Why is it mostly other humans you're facing instead of zombies? Right?

Yeah, I get that and I appreciate it. I just think it's a bad example of being okay with them hating the game because you've already accepted the game's flaws, so this (in theory) doesn't tear it down any further.

The game's main villain is Dracula, but it never resolves the story with him. It's just.. bizarre. I'm not sure if they assumed there was going to be a sequel (there is none and never will be), but even if there was going to be a sequel the way they left their story, such as it is, was nigh inexplicable. I wonder how much internal strife there was that resulted in the butchered story.

The Last Of Us had a lot of infected stuff in it, and I thought the rhythm of going back and forth between human and infected portions of the game actually went a long way to set the pacing. In The Order, you only encounter werewolves in a few isolated incidents, and they're easy. Almost the entire game is just shooting it out with bland grey clothed dudes with guns... Which is something I can get anywhere. I can get that in The Division. In my monster game i want monsters!

Re. Alien Isolation I didn't agree with most of their points and I thought they failed to point out the game's considerable strengths, and they not only hated the game but mocked it (as they often do with games they don't like) but I still enjoyed the video. I can accept that people won't all like something I like. If someone says "I don't like this" that statement is always true. It's never wrong.

Right. I don't much like reviewers to begin with considering they don't add any value to the world. I have never found a reviewer whose tastes could be generally said to align with my own. They always differ some significant portion of the time. So when they act smug like "how dare Ready At Dawn serve us this mediocre game instead of a 10/10 experience" it's like go do something that actually helps people. Thanks.

I guess I shouldn't downplay the catharsis these overly analytic reviewers bring but I consider that of much lesser value to actual media.

I just like people who 1) make me laugh 2) are insightful in a way that makes me think/learn something. They happen to do/be those things. In general I don't care much for reviews/reviewers but in this case, yeah, they're entertaining.

AcridMeat

Banned
Oh WOW. I honestly didn't even think that the Division had a story beyond "Virus happened. Go do the thing"

Yikes :| . I want to think maybe he's talking about the world building? Maybe?

Also, yeah you're pretty much right there. I still think you could slot some editing into the pre-production phase BUT script/scene editing is nowhere near as easy to do in games as it is in film.
They're a hypochondriac so the premise hits them in a particular nerve. But they said it was the most realistic "apocalypse" scenario.
I'd say Dirt, Jar of Flies and Tripod are interchangeable for me.

I suspect I enjoy the sardonic tone of Tripod more than a lot of people. It also has Frogs which is one of their very best songs imo.
You're my real dude in this thread.

Jobbs

Banned
Do boobs have a lot of sensations? I mean having them, internal sensations. I'm trying to imagine what that'd feel like.

I cocked up the character rig and have to reload the past couple of hours work

giphy.gif

Thank God I wasn't saving like usual, I'd have to start the whole thing from scratch D:

Jobbs

Banned
Boobs are made of fatty tissue, "pecks" on guys who have big ones by working out aren't fatty

Some fat guys have fat boobs but A) I haven't experienced it and B) I don't know if it's all the same anyway, I sorta doubt it

jb1234

I cocked up the character rig and have to reload the past couple of hours work

giphy.gif

Thank God I wasn't saving like usual, I'd have to start the whole thing from scratch D:

Nooooooooooooooo! Shit, man. It's because YOU KILLED ALL THE WILDLIFE. THEY'RE GETTING THEIR REVENGE.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Thinking many things that I haven't don't and how I feel like I've been stuck in the same place for years no matter how much I try to move forward. Not gonna enter into too many details cause in the end talking about it wont simply change things for me and in the end not many care about it. The short version is 27 year old still living with my parents without a job and not much going for me.

Timu

I have The Order as I paid 10 bucks but forget to play it every month as I haven't played it yet...I will fix that soon.

FUME5

Thinking many things that I haven't don't and how I feel like I've been stuck in the same place for years no matter how much I try to move forward. Not gonna enter into too many details cause in the end talking about it wont simply change things for me and in the end not many care about it. The short version is 27 year old still living with my parents without a job and not much going for me.

Ah, got ya.

Only one man can help you with that, and it aint me.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
You're not missing much. I hate mine and I'm no joke considering getting a reduction.

Which size are they?

And with all talk about boobs I remembered a story, how a local 'famous' singer tried to convince the people that her boobs got bigger due to special massage. Nobody believed her of course :D

I tried that Little Caesar's stuffed crust deep dish pizza today.

I should've just went with their regular deep dish. The stuffed crust one isn't nearly as good.

Jobbs

Banned
I hate watching people eat in movies/tv, one of the reasons being I know there's probably a bucket full of spit out food close by

Knowing how things are made hurts me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom