• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FUME5

Want me to make you pretty Jobbs? I'll use some of my glittery eyeshadow and lipstick on you.

Damn straight he does.

Just spent $453 on a brand new oven because the oven repair guy was an incompetent fuckwit that couldn't do the fix.

Good news is that it delivers 4/12 which is also dark souls day. This means I have a legitimate reason to skip work now (oven delivery) but what this actually means is me sitting around playing while I wait!

Niiiice.

I've never seen Cats but Phantom of the Opera, probably is better, FUME5.

They're both garbage.

I'm just being witty, parents took me and my brother to a bunch of theater shows when we were young (I must have been 10-11 at the most) of which I have but the vaguest of memories.

Sausage.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh no! What happened? :(

It was a temp job to begin with, but I'm being rushed out the door because my co-worker REALLY doesn't like me. It's getting to the point where every little thing I do is wrong and her and the other team teachers won't let me say one word without holding me accountable for something or another. It's ridiculous, demeaning, and feels unfair - I'm replacing someone else (long-term sub, was originally supposed to be for the rest of the year) so every time I don't do something the way the other teacher did I get an earful. Also she keeps expecting me to know things without her telling me. She called the principal on me today to complain. Today she even took over my class and said their projects were terrible "and they can't be held accountable for it" and that she "did not know where the disconnect was" which was basically her sleighted way of saying "wow, you suck. I need to fix this, and it isn't their fault, it's yours"

The kids all hate this teacher, and, since I'm leaving, I let them know the WHOOOOOOLE story, which they agreed was bullshit. I think they even told my cooperating teacher, because she was pissed today. Good.

It was a temp job to begin with, but I'm being rushed out the door because my co-worker REALLY doesn't like me. It's getting to the point where every little thing I do is wrong and her and the other team teachers won't let me say one word without holding me accountable for something or another. It's ridiculous, demeaning, and feels unfair - I'm replacing someone else (long-term sub, was originally supposed to be for the rest of the year) so every time I don't do something the way the other teacher did I get an earful. Also she keeps expecting me to know things without her telling me. She called the principal on me today to complain. Today she even took over my class and said their projects were terrible "and they can't be held accountable for it" and that she "did not know where the disconnect was" which was basically her sleighted way of saying "wow, you suck. I need to fix this, and it isn't their fault, it's yours"

The kids all hate this teacher, and, since I'm leaving, I let them know the WHOOOOOOLE story, which they agreed was bullshit. I think they even told my cooperating teacher, because she was pissed today. Good.

I've been through a similar situation and it completely sucks.

Passive sleights are the worst because they're not constructive at all.

At least you're moving on, what's next for Sol?

jb1234

I don't use this word lightly but the woman sounds like a total bitch. I think you're better off without that toxic environment. Like Feng asked, what's your next move?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've been through a similar situation and it completely sucks.

Passive sleights are the worst because they're not constructive at all.

At least you're moving on, what's next for Sol?
Some examples:

Us having a conversation about grading:

Her: "I do no grading at home. Sometimes I even leave it here for a month"

*1 week later*

Text: WHY IS NOTHING DONE. THERE TONS OF MISSING GRADES. I NEED YOU TO STAY AFTER (Begins to pull me out of faculty meeting pointing at me and saying in an infantilizing voice "you need to grade")

Her: I see you have nothing set up in Google classroom yet.

Me, to self: What the fuck is that and how was I supposed to do that

Me, out loud: Sorry, I've never used Google classroom before

Her: It's alright, it's just frustrating that you wouldn't know this <---- used over and over again, btw it's very clearly not "alright" when she says this.

Her: Grade the homeworks, it's out of ten and it's a completion grade

One month later

Her: YOU NEVER HANDED THESE BACK? HOW ARE THESE STUDENTS GOING TO KNOW THEIR GRADES? I know you told them you don't want to be a teacher anymore, which is fine, but that doesn't mean you can just let this stuff hang. It needs to be done.

Me: I thought it was homework.

Her: *Very frustrated voice* Sol, it IS homework, what does that even mean? You need to mark this up and grade it, otherwise the students get nothing out of the lesson *pulls in principal*

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

I'm tired of getting treated like an idiot. She acts like I'm being lazy when I genuinely just want to do my job and can't go ONE DAY without her accusing me of doing something wrong and acting like it was common sense that I should have done things some other way while very noticeably fakely pretending to be nice about it.

Next move is to brood for at least a week before moving on. I have a meeting set up with a priest from my local church and will likely enter seminary, because I've been totally turned off from teaching.

SolVanderlyn

Sounds like a lovely woman to work with.
Eventually it got to the point where whenever she started lecturing me I just looked at her with a blank face and said "ok" in a disinterested voice while thinking "here we go again, what's today's problem" because I couldn't fake pretending to take her attitude anymore. I think this exacerbated the problem but at this point IDGAF.

I did make mistakes, but she didn't react well to them. I really do feel like the shittiest teacher in the world based on everything she's told me.

zeemumu

One month later

Her: YOU NEVER HANDED THESE BACK? HOW ARE THESE STUDENTS GOING TO KNOW THEIR GRADES? I know you told them you don't want to be a teacher anymore, which is fine, but that doesn't mean you can just let this stuff hang. It needs to be done.

Her: *Very frustrated voice* Sol, it IS homework, what does that even mean? You need to mark this up and grade it, otherwise the students get nothing out of the lesson *pulls in principal*

I don't understand the homework exchange. She asked you to grade the homework and you did but never handed it back because it was homework?

Wait, you're actually becoming a priest? That's actually kinda cool. I've never known a priest before.

SolVanderlyn

I don't understand the homework exchange. She asked you to grade the homework and you did but never handed it back because it was homework?

Wait, you're actually becoming a priest? That's actually kinda cool. I've never known a priest before.
Yeah, I didn't hand it back. In her defense there was a stack of papers I accidentally left ungraded (which I stayed after and promptly fixed today - two homework assignments that took me about 30 mins to grade) but some were graded and not handed back which I was confused about, as every other homework I just kept without handing back.

Some examples:

Us having a conversation about grading:

Her: "I do no grading at home. Sometimes I even leave it here for a month"

*1 week later*

Text: WHY IS NOTHING DONE. THERE TONS OF MISSING GRADES. I NEED YOU TO STAY AFTER (Begins to pull me out of faculty meeting pointing at me and saying in an infantilizing voice "you need to grade")

Her: I see you have nothing set up in Google classroom yet.

Me, to self: What the fuck is that and how was I supposed to do that

Me, out loud: Sorry, I've never used Google classroom before

Her: It's alright, it's just frustrating that you wouldn't know this <---- used over and over again, btw it's very clearly not "alright" when she says this.

One month later

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

I'm tired of getting treated like an idiot. She acts like I'm being lazy when I genuinely just want to do my job and can't go ONE DAY without her accusing me of doing something wrong and acting like it was common sense that I should have done things some other way while very noticeably fakely pretending to be nice about it.

Next move is to brood for at least a week before moving on. I have a meeting set up with a priest from my local church and will likely enter seminary, because I've been totally turned off from teaching.

Sounds like she's a terrible teacher.

I was reading this and just getting angry for you and remembering past experiences.
The whole point of being a temp is to learn but she sounds like she expects you to know.
Fuck that, you've made the right decision.

And don't ever feel like you're a bad teacher/bad at your job.
1. You're actually willing to learn
2. You care about your job.

Taking a break for a while to cool off seems like a good idea, man. But i hope it doesn't turn you off teaching completely.

In short: fuck em. You're good people Sol!

Edit : Preach, Halcyon. I don't play that shit either.

Misha

Banned
Halcyon pls do Bane for Halloween. But do Nolanverse Bane with this stupid voice and everything.

I was thinking of Ivan drago, myself

1401425816_1401076918_520-rocky-iv.gif

zeemumu

Yeah, I didn't hand it back. In her defense there was a stack of papers I accidentally left ungraded (which I stayed after and promptly fixed today - two homework assignments that took me about 30 mins to grade) but some were graded and not handed back which I was confused about, as every other homework I just kept without handing back.

Ah okay, that makes more sense. I didn't know if keeping the homework was the common thing.

Reminds me of my dad tbh. Theres zero winning. Its just about avoiding confrontation and waiting for it to end (that's pretty much what my therapist told me)

It gets even worse when you're clearly right about something but you can't doing anything because the person who's wrong is your superior. I've got a lot of stored rage from those interactions that I funnel into being productive because keeping it stored will wreck you from the inside.

SolVanderlyn

Thanks for the support, all. :)

I was WONDERING if I told that story here or just to you. Haha

Maybe another time.
Now sounds like a good time TBH

Misha

Banned
Ah okay, that makes more sense. I didn't know if keeping the homework was the common thing.

It gets even worse when you're clearly right about something but you can't doing anything because the person who's wrong is your superior. I've got a lot of stored rage from those interactions that I funnel into being productive because keeping it stored will wreck you from the inside.

I tried being angry and it just made me spiteful :p

Tbh I might want to try another therapist again cause while the last one did a good jobs helping me deal with the anxiety and accept that my own ideas are often right, it still affects everything I do and I just can't quite "accept" it

(not to take away from anyone else)

Thanks for the support, all. :)

Now sounds like a good time TBH

I'll do the short version cause I'm at work and on mobile (FUCK THAT. It'll take me forever)

Essentially I was working at Jb (think like aussie Best Buy) and our managers were rotated in and out after our favourite manager left.
This new manager basically did no work at all and expected everyone to pick up the slack while getting furious at those who didn't.
(Not too much detail but basically jobs that had completely nothing to do with us)
I have a...er...particularly strong personality and generally don't take shit from anyone if they're wrong (I'll sit down if I'm wrong. Always) so we always had it out for each other, me being singled out repeatedly.

Even shorter version, is that I essentially humiliated her in front of the entire store during stocktake (including the store manager, regional and state manager who called me up afterwards on my side).

She was in control with my shifts so I basically lost my job over time by choking out all my shifts (by that stage I preemptively picked up something else in case) but that caused a chain reaction from there out (managers started to pay a little more attention ti her bullshit)so not long after she was straight up fired.

To summarize : ~Retail~

I'll copypaste the long version when I get home.

If you think about it, all you have to do is just copy and paste the PM, maybe with some modifications. See, Sol wants it! :p

Imma do it when I'm not on mobile haha

zeemumu

I tried being angry and it just made me spiteful :p

Tbh I might want to try another therapist again cause while the last one did a good jobs helping me deal with the anxiety and accept that my own ideas are often right, it still affects everything I do and I just can't quite "accept" it

(not to take away from anyone else)

Can you focus the spite into productivity?

SolVanderlyn

We went over this yesterday :p
I had no idea FloatOn was Seth. Seth is a really badass name.

I'll do the short version

To summarize : ~Retail~
Sounds lovely. Retail is expected to be hell, but some people come out with their own truly unique stories. I have my own stories from that time (none very interesting, just depressing).

FloatOn

:O

Where do you live and do you have any extra tix bro

Orlando. It's free. Scroll down to the 4th event on this page for details.

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/...ks-best-events-april-6-12/Content?oid=2482358

It's going to be music from Interstellar. Can't wait to get my face melted by pipe organ music.

Orlando weekly said:
This year, at UCF Celebrates the Arts, experience that sensation live as Zimmer performs with visual artists and story creators from the movie Interstellar. The scientific presentation combines music, poetry, prose and computer simulations to envelop the audience in the science of warped space and time, covering topics ranging from gravitational waves, colliding black holes, supernovas and the birth of the universe.

Why does it feel like 80% of the Gaffers who post in relationship threads are horrible people?

People with normal or just middle-of-the-road opinions don't usually run into as many problems nor feel the need to shout down others with their horrible opinions and justify their horrible attitudes with bravado.

Misha

Banned
Can you focus the spite into productivity?

Not really. For things I don't want to do, I sorta end up with "I'll show them" in a wanting to purposely mess up sorta way and things I do want to do, I get really frustrated about not being able to do it right

actually I'm not sure that that's accurate. it seems it might be. either way I get paralyzed by it rather than able to turn it into something productive. each person has their own way they react

SolVanderlyn

Yo, I want some Wii U friend codes. I need to smash something and it might as well be Nintendo characters. My ID is SolVanderlyn.

Sounds lovely. Retail is expected to be hell, but some people come out with their own truly unique stories. I have my own stories from that time (none very interesting, just depressing).

Yeah, no one came on top (morally at least) in that story.
The job after did pay really well though.

What did you do before this, work wise?

Edit: NNID: fengshui.fever . I've been waiting to vs someone online here in Smash!

zeemumu

Not really. For things I don't want to do, I sorta end up with "I'll show them" in a wanting to purposely mess up sorta way and things I do want to do, I get really frustrated about not being able to do it right

I do that at times too but I discovered that progress is a better form of revenge than failing out of spite.

i dont understand, i need to use twitter to have friends on miitomo?

You need a twitter, Facebook, or you need to find them in person. You can find most of us through mutual followers on Twitter.

When's Pokemon Go?

Halcyon

Night chums. I'm gonna try to sleep while the baby isn't crying.

Expect similar uninteresting conversation from me in the morrow.

Misha

Banned
I do that at times too but I discovered that progress is a better form of revenge than failing out of spite.

unfortunately its not about knowing whats the best option, its a reaction. That's the idea of possibly going to another therapist though, to figure out how to deal with it. I mean I can function fine, I just can't operate at 100% capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom