• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
We are "post golden age" in gaming right now... As a younger medium everything was an experiment. At some point things sort of become whittled down to design by spreadsheet as publishers chase money

Every time a braindead stupid shit gam elike UC2 achieves commercial and critical success it has a negative effect on gaming in general and, in my view, represents the death of the artform

This is objectively false. More unique games are being made in a month these days than are made in any of the "golden" years previous. You have easier access to development, marketing, and a larger audience than has ever existed all playing different types of video games to suit their own individual taste.

A game like Stardew Valley would not have existed in any previous era because it would have been deemed too risky financially even by the most stalwart of independent producers. Yes, some quirky shit leaked out before, but now quirky shit is in itself a genre that YouTubers seek out because it gets them views.

If AAA gaming can survive the hilariously overblown mobile apocalypse then I'm fairly certain all of gaming will survive a series of popular if vacuous action games.

Wait I fucking loved both of the new Tomb Raider games. Maybe not perfect but very much a step in the right direction from the foundation that Uncharted began.

Jobbs

Banned
This is objectively false. More unique games are being made in a month these days than are made in any of the "golden" years previous. You have easier access to development, marketing, and a larger audience than has ever existed all playing different types of video games to suit their own individual taste.

A game like Stardew Valley would not have existed in any previous era because it would have been deemed too risky financially even by the most stalwart of independent producers. Yes, some quirky shit leaked out before, but now quirky shit is in itself a genre that YouTubers seek out because it gets them views.

If AAA gaming can survive the hilariously overblown mobile apocalypse then I'm fairly certain all of gaming will survive a series of popular if vacuous action games.

interesting

allow me to retort

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck.

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.

fuck you.

JK

Halcyon

interesting

allow me to retort

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck.

fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you.

fuck you.

JK

I laughed out loud.

marrec

Banned
interesting

allow me to retort

fuck you.

JK

Well I can't disagree ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

but most of these games are smaller and/or indie-games. this only further supports the idea that true creative freedom can only be found aside from mainstream publishing. this is also why mainstream publishing yanks out CoD after CoD. cuz it sells. so they do more of it. anything else would be stupid in market terms. why would they take a risk if they don't have to?

also your mom's faces are art. abstract art.

If AAA gaming can survive the hilariously overblown mobile apocalypse then I'm fairly certain all of gaming will survive series of popular if vacuous action games.

Although I think it is a great time now (for consumers at least not for developers), I don't think you can point to the quantity and consider that an objective measurement.

There were/are a whole load of mobile games, but even with a huge quantity I wouldn't consider it a great age for mobile or anything.

The time just before the video game crash should be considered amazing too then.

interesting

allow me to retort

fuck you.

JK

tumblr_m621td9RVG1qbvaudo1_500.gif

Jon Hamm's dick is art btw.

marrec

Banned
but most of these games are smaller and/or indie-games. this only further supports the idea that true creative freedom can only be found aside from mainstream publishing. this is also why mainstream publishing yanks out CoD after CoD. cuz it sells. so they do more of it. anything else would be stupid in market terms. why would they take a risk if they don't have to?

also your mom's faces are art. abstract art.

Well sure, and while I don't disagree, I'd like to point out that even for mainstream publishers there is room for experimentation in the likes of Ubisoft's Grow Home and Paradox's Pillars of Eternity (from a publishing standpoint).

My main point, though, is that the existence of CoD in it's hayday and the existence of Uncharted now isn't stopping games from being made. It is simply stopping Naughty Dog from, hypothetically, making a different game. Ain't nobody chasing that CoD money right now and Tomb Raider is the only comparable Uncharted AAA title, it being different enough on it's own to not be worth comparing them beyond superficial similarities.

Although I think it is a great time now (for consumers at least not for developers), I don't think you can point to the quantity and consider that an objective measurement.

There were/are a whole load of mobile games, but even with a huge quantity I wouldn't consider it a great age for mobile or anything.

The time just before the video game crash should be considered amazing too then.

I'd argue that the quality AND quantity of gaming has never been greater than it is now, even counting the mobile market.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wait I fucking loved both of the new Tomb Raider games. Maybe not perfect but very much a step in the right direction from the foundation that Uncharted began.

Honestly the only part that turned me off from the new Tomb Raider games was the brutally violent death scenes. It just felt so out of place. They were more fitting for a horror game.

Jobbs

Banned
Honestly the only part that turned me off from the new Tomb Raider games was the brutally violent death scenes. It just felt so out of place. They were more fitting for a horror game.

just for the record I actually liked the tomb raider games as well. missed opportunities, yes, not perfect, no, but still they were pretty good. I enjoy them most when they're not mid-UC setpiece. It's the setpiece world falling apart bullshit that just makes my eyes glaze over. Fortunately the TR games have a lot more to offer than that, especially Rise Of.

Jon Hamm's dick is art btw.

Art can't be quantified really and you can have your opinion, but to me dicks are just so completely unaesthetic. Dangling is almost never beautiful. Things that dangle should be kept out of paintings

Well sure, and while I don't disagree, I'd like to point out that even for mainstream publishers there is room for experimentation in the likes of Ubisoft's Grow Home and Paradox's Pillars of Eternity (from a publishing standpoint).

My main point, though, is that the existence of CoD in it's hayday and the existence of Uncharted now isn't stopping games from being made. It is simply stopping Naughty Dog from, hypothetically, making a different game.

I'd argue that the quality AND quantity of gaming has never been greater than it is now, even counting the mobile market.

I might even agree, but I am not anywhere close to considering it so objectively.

Ask what the best year for gaming was and not a very significant amount of people would say it has been one of the latest years. In fact we even had a GAF thread like that.

just for the record I actually liked the tomb raider games as well. missed opportunities, yes, not perfect, no, but still they were pretty good. I enjoy them most when they're not mid-UC setpiece. It's the setpiece world falling apart bullshit that just makes my eyes glaze over. Fortunately the TR games have a lot more to offer than that, especially Rise Of.

Art can't be quantified really and you can have your opinion, but to me dicks are just so completely unaesthetic. Dangling is almost never beautiful. Things that dangle should be kept out of paintings

Are you hating on Pollock too?

Misha

Banned

ugliness is art. at times its much much more provocative art than beauty
Ooh no you don't. I see what you're trying to pull.

you're about 10 posts too late ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
On the subject of completely fogetable vidjgaems, the trailer for Gears of War 4 ends with "the nightmare reborn", yet I can't even remember most of Gears of War 3, let alone how it ended.

*shrugs*

My main point, though, is that the existence of CoD in it's hayday and the existence of Uncharted now isn't stopping games from being made. It is simply stopping Naughty Dog from, hypothetically, making a different game.

Pillars of Eternity was mostly made with crowdfunding tho. a whole different way of financing. it fits more in the indie category in terms of freedom.
and I find the situation that big companies like Ubisoft have to produce 4 AC's in a row before they can make one small artsy looking game kinda sad. it's a farce.

and yes, I'd rather see them making a different game. that's my point. also they do affect if/how other games are being made cause they are setting the standards.

marrec

Banned
I might even agree, but I am not anywhere close to considering it so objectively.

Ask what the best year for gaming was and not a very significant amount of people would say it has been one of the latest years. In fact we even had a GAF thread like that.

Nostalgia bias, bah! *waves the notion away*

Not to say that great games haven't been made in the past, obviously they have, but MORE great games are being made these days than have ever been made before.

I don't differentiate AAA games from Indie games or Mobile games.

Jobbs

Banned
On the subject of completely fogetable vidjgaems, the trailer for Gears of War 4 ends with "the nightmare reborn", yet I can't even remember most of Gears of War 3, let alone how it ended.

*shrugs*

I thoroughly hated the characters, character designs, and story of Gears (Gears 3 had a few better designed characters IIRC) but I always enjoyed playing the games. I think I'll get Gears 4.

MutFox

Banned
Art on walls?
I framed a bunch of comics I like.

One of them is Silver Surfer #1, I think it's gone up quite a bunch since I bought it. :p

Nostalgia bias, bah! *waves the notion away*

Not to say that great games haven't been made in the past, obviously they have, but MORE great games are being made these days than have ever been made before.

I don't differentiate AAA games from Indie games or Mobile games.

Well, among the responses a lot off them were the years 2004, 2007 or 2010. So I doubt a whole lot of it can be attributed to nostalgia.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I thoroughly hated the characters, character designs, and story of Gears (Gears 3 had a few better designed characters though) but I always enjoyed playing the games. I think I'll get Gears 4.

I don't mind bulky looking characters, but the overall style reminded me of Warhammer 40K without any of the class and imagination. Like some Russian nouveau riche atempt at baroque.

Misha

Banned
no matter what though, theres the frustration that not every developer has the same resources. there has to be massive compromises to fit within the budget and that can mess with the original intent

not like its anything new though. art has been partially dictated by patrons for millennia

Jobbs

Banned
I don't mind bulky looking characters, but the overall style reminded me of Warhammer 40K without any of the class and imagination. Like some Russian nouveau riche atempt at baroque.

I think the reason I'll play Gears 4 while perhaps never playing something like Quantum Break is throughput. In 2006, Gears 1 blew my mind with its presentation and action, so I have all of these associations.

marrec

Banned
I thoroughly hated the characters, character designs, and story of Gears (Gears 3 had a few better designed characters IIRC) but I always enjoyed playing the games. I think I'll get Gears 4.

Spent the entirety of the Gears Trilogy making fun of everything in the games with my SO at the time, but it was still a fun set of games to go through and I'd do it again.

ART

Well, among the responses a lot off them were the years 2004, 2007 or 2010. So I doubt a whole lot of it can be attributed to nostalgia.

You're underestimating how young the vast majority of GAF is. 2004 was TWELVE years ago. Some of these kids were 6 y/os at the time.

marrec

Banned
no matter what though, theres the frustration that not every developer has the same resources. there has to be massive compromises to fit within the budget and that can mess with the original intent

not like its anything new though. art has been partially dictated by patrons for millennia

Which is what's awesome about 2016, the tools for developing games that are passably at least on par with what a AAA studio would put out are in the hands of the seething masses.

Jobbs

Banned
Spent the entirety of the Gears Trilogy making fun of everything in the games with my SO at the time, but it was still a fun set of games to go through and I'd do it again.

ART

It's dumb, sure, but at least I get to be a person and I get to run around and shoot things. That's just classic video game stuff. The game isn't wrestling control from me every two seconds or imposing horrible fake fucking god damn platforming on me.

You're underestimating how young the vast majority of GAF is. 2004 was TWELVE years ago. Some of these kids were 6 y/os at the time.

Not to mention how much younger Gaming side seems to skew given the quality of the discourse to be found in it.

Granted it's bad in Off Topic too most of the time. But it's far easier to encounter well thought out and intelligent posts.

zeemumu

Not to mention how much younger Gaming side seems to skew given the quality of the discourse to be found in it.

Granted it's bad in Off Topic too most of the time. But it's far easier to encounter well thought out and intelligent posts.

I'm probably the youngest person in this thread.

Misha

Banned
Zant just reminds me of jim sterling these days

Which is what's awesome about 2016, the tools for developing games that are passably at least on par with what a AAA studio would put out are in the hands of the seething masses.

scope is the difference. you can't afford to spend time and money making nearly as many assets as a AAA studio and you can't fine tune the physics of some random thing without losing out on something else. huge open worlds or long stories just aren't possible with the same quality of graphics and effects.

marrec

Banned
scope is the difference. you can't afford to spend time and money making nearly as many assets as a AAA studio and you can't fine tune the physics of some random thing without losing out on something else. huge open worlds or long stories just aren't possible with the same quality of graphics and effects.

Definitely.

Which is good for me, cause I hate huge open world games, they're all trash.

Give me 100 Enter the Gungeons for every Red Dead Redemption pls.

My POV is probably skewed by my preferences, I see a lack of nuance and creative expression in AAA gaming and shrug my shoulders in ambivalence but I don't make games and my tastes skew away from big sweeping adventures anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom