• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

real talk: I don't want to go to class tonight. I just have dark souls 3 sitting on my computer neglected. I've barely played an hour. fml

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uncharted is overrated trash, and I'm saying this as somebody playing the series atm and somewhat enjoying them.

Cutscenes are self-indulgent and make you focus on a plot that it's nothing but forgivable garbage (good lord, Uncharted 2's argument is such a fucking mess), shooting mechanics are prehistoric (seriosly, it's barely a step over classic RE) and the platforming is outright broken.

Just a couple of days ago I was playing the God of War remaster for PS3 with my girlfriend and we were both in awe at how a PS2 game had much better pacing and mechanics than Nughty Dog's Tom Raider rip-off. Why in the seven hells Kratos is better at jumping and holding onto things than Nathan Drake? FFS, there's like a five year difference and an entire generation of hardware and software separating both games.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
You must not have played an Uncharted game..

It's okay, we all make mistakes.
I've played all 4 of them to date (1-3 and GA), and Drake is an unlikable lead, the shooting is detrimental to the games, the exploration is nonexistent and it's just set piece to setpiece. The only interesting character in the series was Chloe and she was horribly mis and underused.

Symphonia

Banned
I've played all 4 of them to date (1-3 and GA), and Drake is an unlikable lead, the shooting is detrimental to the games, the exploration is nonexistent and it's just set piece to setpiece. The only interesting character in the series was Chloe and she was horribly mis and underused.
You're entitled to your opinion.

It's wrong.

But you're entitled to it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uncharted 2 was trash and Chloe only existed for the self-satisfaction of Naughty Dog's artists and producers. Shit character imbued in a shit plot. Everything about her was downright puerile.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Let me sum up Chloe's entire worth in one image.

d0J5tgk.jpg

This is it. This is all that Chloe was in Uncharted 2.

Me watching the Olympics at age 8: Oh that's nice

Me watching the Olympics at age 12: Wow I hope we win

Me watching the Olympics at age 16: I'm going to fuck the entire swim team and no one can stop me

This is accurate for 26 year old me too.

zeemumu

No, I'm right. You'll realize it some day.

I think I was drawn to the dose of realism (I use that term loosely since these are video games). You feel the stress of everything that Nate does. No ninja parkour and perfect kung fu takedowns. That shit is dirty. If a ledge looks like if wouldn't hold his weight it probably won't. It's not innovation incarnate but it's not bad at what it is.

MutFox

Banned
The Uncharted series is awful, I'm sorry.

It's Tomb Raider plus testosterone minus interesting gameplay.

Only played 1 and 2, but they're nothing special.
Shooting is good enough tier and it's just a bunch of set pieces with nice graphics.
End bosses in both 1 and 2 are also very poorly thought out.

But hey, the graphics are really nice.

Haven't played Last of Us though, heard that's good.
Bought it for $10 off PSN, will play it one day.

unfff

trabby you getting dark souls 3 at some point? please don't let any boyfriends get it for you, it's just so good, we can't let it get ruined

are you one of the "games aren't art" people

haha. I got my exex bf to get me the Dark Souls artbook for my birthday. it's the only thing that didn't end up teared up & in the trash. even he couldn't ruin the Miyazaki magic.

buut I don't really plan on getting DS3 anytime soon tbh. I really really loved design & gameplay of the first one. I don't want to make any quick judgements since I haven't played the new one yet but from what I saw it's... just different. I didn't like the second one at all and even Bloodborne (still being an awesome game) just wasn't my cup of tea.

zeemumu

no. i'm one of those "developers suck at making art" people

If it's not what they're aiming for then yeah. It's pretty easy to distinguish between games purely meant to be art and games purely meant to be fun/make money. Something can be one or two of those, or it can be all 3, but it doesn't have to be.

You come home to find your partner wearing a dog collar, dog ears, a dog tail, a leash, and otherwise entirely nude; masturbating in your living room while chewing on a toy. They immediately stop and attempt to explain the situation, expecting you to be f

this is a question on okcupid. wat?

Jobbs

Banned
haha. I got my exex bf to get me the Dark Souls artbook for my birthday. it's the only thing that didn't end up teared up & in the trash. even he couldn't ruin the Miyazaki magic.

buut I don't really plan on getting DS3 anytime soon tbh. I really really loved design & gameplay of the first one. I don't want to make any quick judgements since I haven't played the new one yet but from what I saw it's... just different. I didn't like the second one at all and even Bloodborne (still being an awesome game) just wasn't my cup of tea.

I think Dark Souls 3 is their highest quality output to date, polished to a tee. There's a ton of throughput from Souls 1 to this game, and the Bloodborne influence is there but not as much as you seem to think.

:: Drew this ::

kNSW095.jpg

I don't know what the story is here, but the appearance of there being a story is enough

Conflict = drama

I didn't need to take film courses to know that

i just maintain that art is art and trying to strictly define it is a pointless endeavor due to its inherently subjective nature. Art is something that exists. It shouldn't be used as a qualitative statement unless you can get everyone on earth to agree what "good" art is.

Misha

Banned
If it's not what they're aiming for then yeah. It's pretty easy to distinguish between games meant to be art and games meant to be fun/make money. Something can be one or two of those, or it can be all 3, but it doesn't have to be.
they also suck at being fun too
this is a question on okcupid. wat?

that takes it way further than the questions i read...

i just maintain that art is art and trying to strictly define it is a pointless endeavor due to its inherently subjective nature. Art is something that exists. It shouldn't be used as a qualitative statement unless you can get everyone on earth to agree what "good" art is.

I speak for everyone on earth because I'm obviously the best qualified

I think Dark Souls 3 is their highest quality output to date, polished to a tee. There's a ton of throughput from Souls 1 to this game, and the Bloodborne influence is there but not as much as you seem to think.

:: Drew this ::

kNSW095.jpg

I don't know what the story is here, but the appearance of there being a story is enough

Conflict = drama

I didn't need to take film courses to know that

reminds me of rick & morty somehow.
also...yeah..hm maybe you're right. still not really in a Dark Souls mood right now.

art is a terrible term. Just because something is bad art doesn't keep it from being art. Games are full of so many works of art that it's sometimes hard to draw a cohesive principle from the whole, but that doesn't make it not art.

Here are some great examples of shit that's technically art:
GOTTA_GO_FAST.gif

autumn-rhythm.jpg

modern-statue.jpg

f137043f522e6844085e84f59148b150.jpg

Some fanart is amazing. Some paintings, sculptures and tattoos are breath-taking. You don't get to decide something is not art just because it's not something you appreciate. So no more of this Uncharted is killing the art form or game devs can't be artful please. Thank you! :)

art is a terrible term. Just because something is bad art doesn't keep it from being art. Games are full of so many works of art that it's sometimes hard to draw a cohesive principle from the whole, but that doesn't make it not art.

Some fanart is amazing. Some paintings, sculptures and tattoos are breath-taking. You don't get to decide something is not art just because it's not something you appreciate. So no more of this Uncharted is killing the art form or game devs can't be artful please. Thank you! :)

Tell them!

I mean I despise Twilight, but it's still art. It's just very bad art as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom