• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
:: looking at old deviant art page ::

most of it is embarrassing

a couple are ok

drew this in 2006

tcTvZW4.jpg

also this... a friend posed for it

Im6Di53.jpg

I've been at this a long ass time

Misha

Banned
seriously though, i think anything created that is recognized to provoke emotions is art. does not need intent for it to be art

and yes that pretty much means everything is

Those are still better than most art that I draw now.

i'm considering sudoku

art is a terrible term. Just because something is bad art doesn't keep it from being art. Games are full of so many works of art that it's sometimes hard to draw a cohesive principle from the whole, but that doesn't make it not art.

Here are some great examples of shit that's technically art:

Some fanart is amazing. Some paintings, sculptures and tattoos are breath-taking. You don't get to decide something is not art just because it's not something you appreciate. So no more of this Uncharted is killing the art form or game devs can't be artful please. Thank you! :)

it's not about personal preferences but more about art vs. product. series like Uncharted are enabling the same mind numbing action formular to be repeated again, again and again. of course there is artistic work involved in making these games but stuff like this is literally killing other creative ideas that simply don't have a chance on the market anymore. you can still like it of course. but yeah.

Jobbs

Banned
it's not about personal preferences but more about art vs. product. series like Uncharted are enabling the same mind numbing action formular to be repeated again, again and again. of course there is artistic work involved in making these games but stuff like this is literally killing other creative ideas that simply don't have a chance on the market anymore. you can still like it of course. but yeah.

on the nose!

Those are still better than most art that I draw now.

oh my god I drew a couple of furries on here... I think I blocked this out...

marrec

Banned

I think this is too cynical. The existence of Uncharted isn't stopping other games from being made.

Misha

Banned
I think this is too cynical. The existence of Uncharted isn't stopping other games from being made.

I think this is not cynical enough. the success of soulless triple A games does indeed prevent them from focusing their efforts elsewhere. its how capitalism works.

Halcyon

They have this one at the Cleveland art museum

07966e6ee87940b15e95923cfcf2c620.jpg

In person it's really something to look at. Has lots of texture and layers.

It's nothing more that an interesting screensaver but at the time they didn't have screensavers so I can see how it would be cool.

I've never been high. It'll be an experience.

I'm going to the dentist in 30. We'll be twins.

Tell them!

I mean I despise Twilight, but it's still art. It's just very bad art as far as I'm concerned.

At SDCC years ago, there was some dude with a whiteboard you could sign to "ban Twilight from Comic-Con". People would write their first names but not last.

It was like when I worked at the mailroom at UC Santa Cruz. The fucking students actually made a petition to get us all fired (and replaced with.... more mailroom staff?) and posted it on the mailroom door like Martin Luther. Some of the choice quotes were "sorting mail is the easiest job in the world - and you can't even do that".

Some kid one day even stuck a knife in it.

I'd rather put a Pollock on my wall rather than really well drawn video game fan art imo

Why? Because you like looking at it better or because of the prestige?

I mean, you do realize (at least with Naughty Dog) that making Uncharted has been a very conscious choice, right? That was something they wanted to do, not were compelled by the market. You may absolutely disagree on how successful their various efforts have been, but they were trying to advance and expand the medium. They also have improved nearly everything that's being complained about here in the new game if early impressions are anything to go by.

If you're afraid of growing pains then you'll never grow. There are very many awkward things in Uncharted games and parts of them that frustrate me, but I will not say they have been anything but great for the games industry.

I don't think he's that self-aware!

But that is part of the statement! The lack of self-awareness.

I think this is not cynical enough. the success of soulless triple A games does indeed prevent them from focusing their efforts elsewhere. its how capitalism works.

Yeah, I think the popularity of Uncharted lowers the amount of other types of games. It hasn't been anywhere as bad as the COD games.

For example the first Tomb Raider reboot game which was almost entirely devoid of puzzles. I doubt it would have been the same type of game if Uncharted would not have existed.

marrec

Banned

I'm not going to get into an argument for or against the merits of Capitalism, but the creation of an art product doesn't nullify some hypothetical product that could be made in it's place by the exact same people. It's unfair to point at Naughty Dog and say that they could be making something else when it's entirely possible that given the opportunity to create "true art" or some such bullshit they'd still make Uncharted.

The existence of Uncharted isn't stopping Jobbs from making his game, or anyone else. There isn't an 'art pool' that Naughty Dog is stealing from to create this now seemingly universally reviled game.

zeemumu

I mean, you do realize (at least with Naughty Dog) that making Uncharted has been a very conscious choice, right? That was something they wanted to do, not were compelled by the market. You may absolutely disagree on how successful their various efforts have been, but they were trying to advance and expand the medium. They also have improved nearly everything that's being complained about here in the new game if early impressions are anything to go by.

If you're afraid of growing pains then you'll never grow. There are very many awkward things in Uncharted games and parts of them that frustrate me, but I will not say they have been anything but great for the games industry.

If anything, uncharted really only spawned the tomb raider reboot. It's not as bad as fps games making us storm the beaches of Normandy dozens of times, or the atari crash.

marrec

Banned
Further, the existence of a critically acclaimed adventure series that crosses genre and cultural demarcation lines quite probably inspired art, not stifled it.

We need MORE of EVERYTHING not just MORE of what some people consider "true art".

Without The Rolling Stones we never would have gotten The Stooges.

Halcyon

Marrec is Sully. Lil is Elena. I am Drake obviously.

Uncharted-Nate-Elena-Sully.png

We will beat you random islandy ethnic pirates of hate back with our chest high walls of FREEDOM.

Jobbs

Banned
Why? Because you like looking at it better or because of the prestige?

Saying something is representative of the death of the artform is clearly hyperbolic, but to me UC games are manifestly contrary to what is unique and important about video games. As I said before, they treat the user's mere presence as an inconvenience that has to be planned around. This is terrible!

UC's success led to things like Tomb Raider 2013 -- Which, while it wasn't as bad as any UC game, clearly contained some of the cancerous tissue

I know what's "good" about video games is entirely subjective, but we all look out our own windows.

We are "post golden age" in gaming right now... As a younger medium everything was an experiment. At some point things sort of become whittled down to design by spreadsheet as publishers chase money

Every time a braindead stupid shit gam elike UC2 achieves commercial and critical success it has a negative effect on gaming in general and, in my view, represents the death of the artform

I don't think that's how it works. They might end up working on my little pony ghost adventure

at least it wouldn't be uncharted

DrM

Redmond's Baby
why?

because you can't laugh at a fat person?
No, I really loved that trophy. And hitbox got bigger if I recall it correctly and it was quite difficult to achieve

And I never laugh at fat person, because I have quite some history with weight problems myself.

Saying something is representative of the death of the artform is clearly hyperbolic, but to me UC games are manifestly contrary to what is unique and important about video games. As I said before, they treat the user's mere presence as an inconvenience that has to be planned around. This is terrible!

UC's success led to things like Tomb Raider 2013 -- Which, while it wasn't as bad as any UC game, clearly contained some of the cancerous tissue

I know what's "good" about video games is entirely subjective, but we all look out our own windows.

We are "post golden age" in gaming right now... As a younger medium everything was an experiment. At some point things sort of become whittled down to design by spreadsheet as publishers chase money

Every time a braindead stupid shit gam elike UC2 achieves commercial and critical success it has a negative effect on gaming in general and, in my view, represents the death of the artform

Adorno agrees.
Adorno5.jpg

to be fair: it's not only a problem concerning Uncharted of course.

Halcyon

I wish I had more art for my walls. They are frankly pretty bare.

My father in law literally paints decorative art for a living. I have full access to hundreds of originals. He sells stuff at Crate & Barrel and places like that. We have art all over the house.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My father in law literally paints decorative art for a living. I have full access to hundreds of originals. He sells stuff at Crate & Barrel and places like that. We have art all over the house.

My envy is off the charts right now.

Good friend of mine lives two floors above me. His girlfriend is very artsy and has decorated their apartment incredibly well so it looks really homey and cheerful. Every time I am up there I come back down to my place and it looks so boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom