• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF Episode 5: The Thirst Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
This has been my phone background for quite a while. I'm not sure where it came from, but I love it. There is so much detail in the art, and each piece has a story to tell about the larger scope.
ViCv2r0.jpg
edit: I found the artist.

Misha

Banned
Definitely.

Which is good for me, cause I hate huge open world games, they're all trash.

Give me 100 Enter the Gungeons for every Red Dead Redemption pls.

My POV is probably skewed by my preferences, I see a lack of nuance and creative expression in AAA gaming and shrug my shoulders in ambivalence but I don't make games and my tastes skew away from big sweeping adventures anyway.

(3d) adventure games would be a huge genre where the money and resources are a big hurdle. as good as they are, you're pretty much stuck making games look like dreamfall chapters and life is strange while david cage has access to tech thats basically a full generation ahead (and tbh these are more mid-sized studios i'm talking about)

sort of interesting though that you don't think that developers with admittedly better nuance and creative expression can put those resources to better use

SystemBug

Why? Because you like looking at it better or because of the prestige?

I like looking at it

To each their own, but I disagree. Some fan art can be fantastic.

you see that just looks weird to me. The way the white space is used is weird - there should be more of it.

My wall is covered in art from Scott Shaw!, David Willis, etc.

Is that not proper art?

Never said it isn't proper art but I'm sick and tired of the fuckboy notion that "lol a 5 year old could do it" =/= not art that seems to be so common in the gaming community about modern art and modern art movement.

marrec

Banned
GUYS

MY FACE IS NUMB

BACK FROM DENTIST

EVERYTHING IS NUMB.

Is "dentist" what they're calling coke dealers these days?

(3d) adventure games would be a huge genre where the money and resources are a big hurdle. as good as they are, you're pretty much stuck making games look like dreamfall chapters and life is strange while david cage has access to tech thats basically a full generation ahead (and tbh these are more mid-sized studios i'm talking about)

sort of interesting though that you don't think that developers with admittedly better nuance and creative expression can put those resources to better use

Which is funny because David Cage's games all look pretty but are incomparable in story to something like Dreamfall or LiS. But then you have the issue of episodic Adventure Games having unpredictable release schedules.

Also, I think it's entirely possible that the nuance and creative expression is a product of their limitations rather than a product of pure funding numbers. Maybe you give the team who made FTL 500m dollars to make their game a massive fully VR experience and they make something that has the same creative expression that is spread thin over this game that's too big for it's own good.

It's like independent music right? Some scrappy garage band gets a massive record deal and can't match the creative output of their non-label days.

Misha

Banned
He's a qt π
yes
They should be labeled a hate group at this stage because that's exactly what they are.

yes

and they are by SPLC :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...he_Southern_Poverty_Law_Center_as_hate_groups

Which is funny because David Cage's games all look pretty but are incomparable in story to something like Dreamfall or LiS. But then you have the issue of episodic Adventure Games having unpredictable release schedules.

Also, I think it's entirely possible that the nuance and creative expression is a product of their limitations rather than a product of pure funding numbers. Maybe you give the team who made FTL 500m dollars to make their game a massive fully VR experience and they make something that has the same creative expression that is spread thin over this game that's too big for it's own good.

It's like independent music right? Some scrappy garage band gets a massive record deal and can't match the creative output of their non-label days.

if you gave the ftl team more money, you wouldn't have them make a vr game, that would be dumb. you would have them include a lot more options and perhaps a nuanced diplomacy. since I've played it, I really wanted to feel like I was in charge of a star trek style expedition, instead its limited to running from the same ships everytime and fighting the same ship at the end.

most 2d games don't actually need more money for graphics (though perhaps more sprites), it would go into improving the scope of the game, assuming it would make sense. most of these games rely on sales and then later create an expansion to complete the game but then its not quite as integrated as they might have preferred in teh first place

I decided to walk into a blood drive on campus on a whim. How much will they take?

Enough that you should probably not order a monster-sized beer tonight.

Make sure you keep working the finger muscles on the arm they're drawing from and not get distracted by this thread on your phone.

I used to give regularly when the clinics were convenient (you cannot be paid for it in Canada), have probably donated ~20 times in the past 16 years. I stopped again in the past year because it was always the night before ultimate and left me unable to play well or comfortably, and it turns out I enjoy playing sports more than aiding in people's well being in the abstract.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
i mean i completely understand the $263 for the cleaning.

but before that i had a check-up for my implant. which somehow costs me $137. wtf.

Couple months ago I went in for a follow up with my doctor to see if my medication was giving a positive effect or not. It took about 15 minutes total and consisted of me going into his office and saying, "Yep, these meds are working great."

$160

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom