• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Somebody help me vote up Interstellar and True Detective in the AOTY thread.
I don't even know if Interstellar is a good movie. lol

Watch more after eps 4 and up they had their own theme going.
Well that stuff actually gets in later. Some of the later episodes really are pointed in that it's discussing themes such as lack of ambition, how dreadful it is to actually work in the industry, and some pointed jokes about anime in general.

It's not going to be deep as a HBO show so if you're going in with that standard, you're going to be disappointed.
Yeah, I intend to keep watching it. I just wish it had some kind of point of view, since it just feels like a behind the scenes special for an anime that never existed.

Not that I disagree with the rest of your thoughts on the show, but I thought they made it pretty clear that almost every other girl did want Haru. It was one of those odd harems where the main couple is decided from the start, but that doesn't stop from adding more girls to fall for the MC.

Really? I never got that impression. I mean who thinks that way?

I mean, you got Karen never showing up to meet Haru again after like, one episode. You've got Chiyuri and Taku already in a relationship, etc.

Maybe it was implied that they wanted him, but if it was, it was much less focused on it than say, SAO was. Or maybe I was focused too much on the world-building to notice. I don't know. I'm just glad the show stayed the way it was and never went full harem.

Not that I disagree with the rest of your thoughts on the show, but I thought they made it pretty clear that almost every other girl did want Haru. It was one of those odd harems where the main couple is decided from the start, but that doesn't stop from adding more girls to fall for the MC.

Well most of the cast doesn't want haru in a romantic way, his status as a unique flying user makes him at the center of many request for joining various legion but nobody wants him in a romantic way.

Chiyu ? Friends ( value that friendship between the 3 over everything else )
Niko ? Friend ( Want to recruit , but not to stole him , doesn't see him in a romantic way at all )
Taker ? not a chance in hell
The only character that is intrested in a romantic relationship beyond the accel world , in the real world , is kuroyuki ..all the other characters see him at best as a irl FRIEND ? or a gaming partner

fertygo

I don't even know if Interstellar is a good movie. lol

Yeah, I intend to keep watching it. I just wish it had some kind of point of view, since it just feels like a behind the scenes special for an anime that never existed.

The anime truly exist though, the OVA's coming!

Jarmel

Banned
I find some of Aoi's stuff in particular to be riveting in that she reflects on her own lack of ambition compared to that of her friends. Her questioning of whether if it's okay to not be driven is a notable aspect of the show. It's a fairly normal/human reaction but not something discussed in media that often.

Jarmel

Banned
Chiyu ? Friends ( value that friendship between the 3 over everything else )
Niko ? Friend ( Want to recruit , but not to stole him , doesn't see him in a romantic way at all )
Taker ? not a chance in hell
The only character that is intrested in a romantic relationship beyond the accel world , in the real world , is kuroyuki ..all the other characters see him at best as a irl FRIEND ? or a gaming partner

lol what

Chiyu definitely wanted to be porked.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The anime truly exist though, the OVA's coming!
Oh god, it's this generation's Genshiken. lol

I find some of Aoi's stuff in particular to be riveting in that she reflects on her own lack of ambition compared to that of her friends. Her questioning of whether if it's okay to not be driven is a notable aspect of the show. It's a fairly normal/human reaction but not something discussed in media that often.
To be fair, and I have no idea what kind of crossover in staff there is with PA Works shows, but this comes up in Tari Tari as well. But I suppose I can appreciate that this is an anime about twenty-somethings to some respect. I just wish I cared about the people in the show... at least with The Newsroom, I thought everyone in the cast was a self-righteous Aaron Sorkin stand-in asshole.

Being a Nolan film does kind of rule it out.
Sad but true.

It's a good sci-fi movie that needed to be 10 minute longer
Longer??

survivor

Banned
Yama no Susume S2 fin

I feel like this show came together fairly well, even if it's earnestness was lost when compared directly to something like Hanayamata. I'm still not sure how I feel about Fuji being the mid-series climax, but that's probably because it's the only mountain in Japan that I know of and I have no idea if the other mountains in the show are as significant (or perhaps even more significant). If nothing else, it leaves room for a third season.

And minor quibbles about moeing up Kaede aside, I feel like the core friendship between the girls - including a late addition - works really well for a show that is simply meant to be about personal growth and literally about enjoying the moment. The climb itself is supposed to be as fulfilling as reaching the summit, I assume, and this show represents that in spades.

Oh, also the opening of episode 24 is genius considering how episode 23 ends. That final episode just works so well as a denouement and shows that whoever was arcing this story was thinking about this ending well in advance.
So this ended up worth watching? Cause I remember seeing some pictures from earlier episodes that were too lewd for a show of this kind and I just lost interest in checking it out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So this ended up worth watching? Cause I remember seeing some pictures from earlier episodes that were too lewd for a show of this kind and I just lost interest in checking it out.
I think there's still some weird stuff with Kaede, but I like the show in spite of it. Or maybe I'm willing to forgive those small moments because the rest of the show is pretty good.

Funny enough, they're also willing to push the whole "gap moe" thing onto her as well... which is a bit odd to see if you're actually aware of what the show is trying to do. It's like there's a team of writers working on the actual story of the show and another team thinking about clever ways to integrate moe into the show.

lol what

Chiyu definitely wanted to be porked.
NO chiyu values the relationship between haru & taku over everything that happens. it's the driving force behind her actions and it's the reason why she got that time rewind hability , she wants that the days between the 3 to be the same and be able to undo the mistakes that might cause them to be appart.

If you think otherwise then you missed the point of her actions , just like haru did during the first part of the show.
If anything ( talking about romance ) , chiyu is closer to taku. Heck nothing chiyu has done with haru , she hasn't done with taku first .

It's a good sci-fi movie that needed to be 10 minute longer[

Jebus..

Well i can explain why i say that.
I think the movie is good , except the ending that should have been explained more.
Why is he able to take a plane and go look for the third planet again ? How is it a viable plan since the plane obviously doesn't have cryo technology ? Does this plan have a chance of sucess given that more than 60+ years have passed since they got separated near the blak hole ?How does the daughter knew that there was someone to look for since she wasn't there during the black hole entry ? How does the watch work in the space center when the entrance to the 5Dimension is in the daughter room ?

Give me 10 minutes more and answer those questions and all will be great.Otherwise it's just "good"

Mature

Yeah, It turned me off pretty hard too.

Speaking of that, I just finished Zvezda in the past couple of days because I thought it might be relevant to my AOTY list (it wasn't). That show has some serious problems with random, vastly inappropriate lewdness. That show would have, honestly, made a lot more sense if everyone was exactly ten years older. Not that anything mattered for anything in the end in that show. It just went completely bonkers.

If it's produced by TRIGGER and not named Inferno Cop stay away.
Wise words.

Hozuki no Reitetsu 11

DiJdHXB.jpg

The backgrounds in this show are incredible.

Yeah, It turned me off pretty hard too.

Speaking of that, I just finished Zvezda in the past couple of days because I thought it might be relevant to my AOTY list (it wasn't). That show has some serious problems with random, vastly inappropriate lewdness. That show would have, honestly, made a lot more sense if everyone was exactly ten years older. Not that anything mattered for anything in the end in that show. It just went completely bonkers.

I watched that to see a dumb show about a loli conquering the world and I didn't get that.
Oh well at least there's Yoru no Yatterman!

Lurky

NO chiyu values the relationship between haru & taku over everything that happens. it's the driving force behind her actions and it's the reason why she got that time rewind hability , she wants that the days between the 3 to be the same and be able to undo the mistakes that might cause them to be appart.

If you think otherwise then you missed the point of her actions , just like haru did during the first part of the show.
If anything ( talking about romance ) , chiyu is closer to taku. Heck nothing chiyu has done with haru , she hasn't done with taku first .

Are you implying that
Taku had the chance to smang that ass?
Wow... This show really needs more seasons.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well i can explain why i say that.
I think the movie is good , except the ending that should have been explained more.
Why is he able to take a plane and go look for the third planet again ? How is it a viable plan since the plane obviously doesn't have cryo technology ? Does this plan have a chance of sucess given that more than 60+ years have passed since they got separated near the blak hole ?How does the daughter knew that there was someone to look for since she wasn't there during the black hole entry ? How does the watch work in the space center when the entrance to the 5Dimension is in the daughter room ?

Give me 10 minutes more and answer those questions and all will be great.Otherwise it's just "good"
I think the movie should have ended before any of that even happened. All of that felt like a focus tested ending... much like the ending of Edge of Tomorrow.

survivor

Banned
Its as lewd as K-ON lewd.
I think there's still some weird stuff with Kaede, but I like the show in spite of it. Or maybe I'm willing to forgive those small moments because the rest of the show is pretty good.
hmm I guess it won't hurt to watch first few episodes. Although I probably won't even finish it with the high episodes count and all of that. Should have stuck with the 5 mins anime future
Funny enough, they're also willing to push the whole "gap moe" thing onto her as well... which is a bit odd to see if you're actually aware of what the show is trying to do. It's like there's a team of writers working on the actual story of the show and another team thinking about clever ways to integrate moe into the show.
lol the weebs dream job right there

Are you implying that
Taku had the chance to smang that ass?
Wow... This show really needs more seasons.

I stand by what i've said .Everything haru did with chiyu , taku already did it, first .. afterwards they relationship degrated ( but that was more taku becoming more distant & chiyu realising that this wasn't what she wanted ) before arriving to the start of the anime where chiyu had all her mind trying to find a solution to help haru from being bullied.

But yeah ,
Dates, direct links and so on , taku was there first , no sex was ever implied , however.chiyu is a pure maiden untill proved otherwise.

I think the movie should have ended before any of that even happened. All of that felt like a focus tested ending... much like the ending of Edge of Tomorrow.

I have to agree that last part felt unnecessary
The MC should have repaired the Robot helper and enjoyed his life on his renovated house after a job well done.
THE END

firehawk12

Subete no aware
hmm I guess it won't hurt to watch first few episodes. Although I probably won't even finish it with the high episodes count and all of that. Should have stuck with the 5 mins anime future
lol the weebs dream job right there
The length allows them to do stories about the other three girls though, so it depends if you want to see how they act independently of the group or not. In a way, I look at it like Tamayura S2, which shifted away from Fu and onto the rest of the cast.

Lurky

I stand by what i've said .Everything haru did with chiyu , taku already did it, first .. afterwards they relationship degrated ( but that was more taku becoming more distant & chiyu realising that this wasn't what she wanted ) before arriving to the start of the anime where chiyu had all her mind trying to find a solution to help haru from being bullied.

But yeah ,
Dates, direct links and so on , taku was there first , no sex was ever implied , however.chiyu is a pure maiden untill proved otherwise.

Well that's no fun.
The lewd ones are the best.

So, I should rank the things this season that I actually finished.

1. Hi-Scoool! SeHa Girl - I was going to say Trinity Seven was show of the season, and then I watched episode 13. of this. Sniff... poor Sega. :( As the stupid new slang goes, feels. :.( Great show for anyone who likes Sega! (Yes, I like Nintendo more, but I love Sega too, they're a strong #2. Or were, rather.) Actually, anyone who likes videogames and anime at all should watch this. It's good fun stuff. Not creepy, either, unlike certain other shows (Neptunia, for one obvious example...).

2. Trinity Seven - I definitely like the Trinity Seven manga, so I was looking forward to the anime, and it didn't disappoint! This show will be high in my list of my favorite animes of 2014. I see some critical reviews of the show here by others, but anyone saying that stuff is totally wrong, Trinity Seven is great! ... Provided you've read the manga, at least. In order to speed up the pace, the anime version cut out a lot of explanations and the like that are in the manga, and it makes the anime story a bit harder to understand unless you've read the manga. Also the show hasn't yet gotten to some important points, and other things just haven't been explained at all yet even in the manga; Trinity Seven's plot relies on never telling you everything that's going on, that's for sure. I don't mind though, it's good as it is. With fun characters, some of the better writing in the genre, an interesting world, and more, Trinity Seven is one of the better harem shows for sure. The series is very much a harem show, but it breaks some genre conventions, to good effect. I particularly like how Arata doesn't constantly save the girls, outshine them in the end in every battle, etc -- the contrast between Trinity Seven and Infinite Stratos here couldn't be more clear, and it's a knockout win for Trinity Seven! Stupid Ichika's always doing that dumb stuff, but while Arata may talk that way, the writing of the series mostly stays away from it. The girls in Trinity Seven can actually hold their own, and that's a good thing. Anyway, I really, REALLY need to finally get around to writing a full review of this series, so I'll stop now. I'll just say that this anime NEEDS a second (and third, etc.) season; the way the show stops is not an ending, just a pause between chapters.

3. Infinite Stratos 2 OVA: World Purge - This was good, but it's just missing far too much. Where is the explanation for why professor girl is evil now? Why leave out the aftermath of the attack (what happened to the defeated soldiers)? Etc. What's here was good... but even if IS always forgets to mention lots of important stuff, it IS annoying. There was a lot of very amusing and fun stuff in this OVA, though, and I mostly liked it. Only other complaint: Of course Ichika has to save everyone, again. Ugh. There's another reason this isn't higher on the list.

4. I Wanna Be the Twintail - While a good series, as I've said probably every time I posted about this series, I found the constant inconsistencies annoying. I mean, I never knew which tropes the series would play straight, and which it would twist or make a joke about! It's kind of annoying. The open ending is a nice invitation to a sequel, though, and I hope it happens! Even if some elements of the show were too conventional, Twintail was a fun, entertaining show which managed to be pretty funny when it wanted to be.

The show I got next farthest in is probably Yuki Yuna, which I dropped once it got depressing. Not sure if I'll go back or not; maybe?

Jarmel

Banned
Did anyone say it was good here?

I don't even think I said it was good in this thread...

I feel like it's okay. I have to imagine the source material is pretty much shit and so feel like Trigger did a good job adapting the material.

Need to watch the final two episodes but so far it's been fine.

TUSR

Banned
I feel like it's okay. I have to imagine the source material is pretty much shit and so feel like Trigger did a good job adapting the material.

Need to watch the final two episodes but so far it's been fine.

The source material is alright, Trigger picked and chose what they adapted from the LNs out of order.

Also, are you going to order the Vol. 2 art book?

Well I liked it a whole bunch. More than KLK. I'd say for me it was my most fun (though not best) show this season.

I honestly enjoyed it, and I wasn't sure if I was blinded by my love for Trigger or not.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I can't imagine Nolan giving a flying fuck about focus testing.
Then it's just his general incompetence then? :p

So, I should rank the things this season that I actually finished.

1. Hi-Scoool! SeHa Girl - I was going to say Trinity Seven was show of the season, and then I watched episode 13. of this. Sniff... poor Sega. :( As the stupid new slang goes, feels. :.( Great show for anyone who likes Sega! (Yes, I like Nintendo more, but I love Sega too, they're a strong #2. Or were, rather.)

2. Trinity Seven - I definitely like the Trinity Seven manga, so I was looking forward to the anime, and it didn't disappoint! This show will be high in my list of my favorite animes of 2014. I see some critical reviews of the show here by others, but anyone saying that stuff is totally wrong, Trinity Seven is great! ... Provided you've read the manga, at least. In order to speed up the pace, the anime version cut out a lot of explanations and the like that are in the manga, and it makes the anime story a bit harder to understand unless you've read the manga. Also the show hasn't yet gotten to some important points, and other things just haven't been explained at all yet even in the manga; Trinity Seven's plot relies on never telling you everything that's going on, that's for sure. I don't mind though, it's good as it is. With fun characters, some of the better writing in the genre, an interesting world, and more, Trinity Seven is one of the better harem shows for sure. The series is very much a harem show, but it breaks some genre conventions, to good effect. I particularly like how Arata doesn't constantly save the girls, outshine them in the end in every battle, etc -- the contrast between Trinity Seven and Infinite Stratos here couldn't be more clear, and it's a knockout win for Trinity Seven! Stupid Ichika's always doing that dumb stuff, but while Arata may talk that way, the writing of the series mostly stays away from it. The girls in Trinity Seven can actually hold their own, and that's a good thing. Anyway, I really, REALLY need to finally get around to writing a full review of this series, so I'll stop now. I'll just say that this anime NEEDS a second (and third, etc.) season; the way the show stops is not an ending, just a pause between chapters.

3. Infinite Stratos 2 OVA: World Purge - This was good, but it's just missing far too much. Where is the explanation for why professor girl is evil now? Why leave out the aftermath of the attack (what happened to the defeated soldiers)? Etc. What's here was good... but even if IS always forgets to mention lots of important stuff, it IS annoying. There was a lot of very amusing and fun stuff in this OVA, though, and I mostly liked it. Only other complaint: Of course Ichika has to save everyone, again. Ugh. There's another reason this isn't higher on the list.

4. I Wanna Be the Twintail - While a good series, as I've said probably every time I posted about this series, I found the constant inconsistencies annoying. I mean, I never knew which tropes the series would play straight, and which it would twist or make a joke about! It's kind of annoying. The open ending is a nice invitation to a sequel, though, and I hope it happens! Even if some elements of the show were too conventional, Twintail was a fun, entertaining show which managed to be pretty funny when it wanted to be.

The show I got next farthest in is probably Yuki Yuna, which I dropped once it got depressing. Not sure if I'll go back or not; maybe?
I can honestly believe that IS is at least #3 even if you haven't seen everything this season!

How do you end a show about Sega as cartoon girls that makes it sad though? lol

Jarmel

Banned
Then it's just his general incompetence then? :p

A lot of the movie is really pointed towards modern society and how we've given up space exploration and I feel like that sort of 'Wild West' ending is supposed to inspire people. I've heard people mention stuff like the movie should have ended at the Black Hole and I feel like that goes against the entire concept of the film.

The source material is alright, Trigger picked and chose what they adapted from the LNs out of order.

Also, are you going to order the Vol. 2 art book?

A lot of the charm of the show comes from the voice acting and animation style. Reading the manga is painful as fuck due to how heavy handed the references get. The show obviously is chokeful of them too but they incorporate it into the visuals instead of the dialogue.

I haven't even ordered Vol. 1.

I can honestly believe that IS is at least #3 even if you haven't seen everything this season!
I haven't finished anything else, anyway. Didn't start all that many, actually, yeah; not many looked interesting at all... and anyway, part of what makes IS good is that it's so ridiculously bad, remember.

Other than Yuki Yuna, I guess I did also watch a few episodes of Inou Battle. Pretty bad show, I dropped that one fast.

How do you end a show about Sega as cartoon girls that makes it sad though? lol
Watch it and you might understand. Following twelve good to great episodes of silly comedy and Sega references, the last episode has a completely different tone...

Warning: ending spoilers!
After saying how after graduation they will be friends forever, they are told by Center-sensei that actually, after graduation they will become videogame consoles and go to the real world. Then in order (Megadrive first, then Saturn, then Dreamcast) they step into the light, and are "reborn" in our world as consoles. No more Sega Hard Girls? Why? But the consoles are great too, so it's not all bad, and that's the tone they focus on, but still... :(
I didn't expect that ending at all, and it was definitely sad! Also the whole tone of the episode reminded me of Sega's demise in the early '00s, which added a lot more to the sentiments. I'm sure they were going straight for this of course,
it can't be an accident that the school is Sehagaga Academy! Look up the game Segagaga and you'll understand. The "SeHa" in the name refers to Sega Hard [Girls], but the 'gaga' has got to be a Segagaga reference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom