• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 67

Oh shit, it is THAT episode, I did not realize it was already upon us, when Viz said they got everything they were not kidding. Right, for those not in the know this is one of the most infamously bad episodes of Sailor Moon, an episode so toxic it was regularly skipped because it was boring and pointless filler even by Sailor Moon standards. .

It was? News to me.

Shingeki no Bahamut 12 END

Huh, Kaisar looks pretty good with his hair down.

Really, what did Beelzebub think would happen here? Doesn't he know JRPG rules? He's Zeal, that's Lavos. He loses.
Finale was good, lots of spectacle, good animation (besides CGI Bahamut) and I am really glad they brought back the "do these look like the eyes of a liar" joke.

Well, even though it lost some of its luster from the opening episodes with the ongoing greater plot, I'll still look back on it fondly and as the duckroll hype show that was actually pretty good.
One thing I never really got is why Kaisar cared so much for Amira, though.

MY DEEEEEEEESTIIIIIINYYYYYYYYYYYYY~

fertygo

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road 9

I wish this Hiroshima team would just go away. It's too late to introduce this faction and they are not compelling at all. Oh, no, water bottle drama. Honestly, Grande Road has been pretty disappointing so far other than the Midousuji flashbacks. I wonder if this series has lost all of its steam. Even the first season of the show peaked well before the inter-highs even started.

Its still early of Day 3, considering tthe last race would be like 20 eps maybe, I expect the long burn.

And nah dude, the show reaching new level in interhigh. The climax between checkpoint and day winner is mostly fantastic.

Narag

Shirobako 5

CqWzK2Jl.png

zINyRjQl.png

fuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

I don't understand why i love this show so much - 03 <> 06
Danna%20ga%20Nani%20wo%20Itteiru%20ka%20Wakaranai%20Ken%20-%2003.jpg

keep telling yourself that
I really like the cast
Damn that episode was nice , the way both were trying to change in subtle ways for the other , i liked it :)
There is nothing more i can say about those episode except that you need to watch it , and that i'm sorry i wasn't watching sooner.

Winter and Summer is like garbage/throwaway season from publisher, far more even than usual standard.

I'm not sure that's true?
It's not like videogames where Summer is always particularly weak. I don't pay a lot of attention to that kind of stuff but I don't think certain seasons are typically stronger then the others for anime.
I could be wrong though.

Winter and Summer is like garbage/throwaway season from publisher, far more even than usual standard.

There are quite a few series which should be better than Aldonah if they pan out though. I'm especially interested in Death Parade, Lesbian Bear Storm, Rolling Girls, Shounen Hollywood S2, and Yoru no Yatterman.

Tenumi

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park: 13 (END)

Horse Birth? In my anime?

Anyway, Amagi Brilliant Park... I would say that it definitely isn't close to being the best of what KyotoAni has to offer, but it's an enjoyable enough watch that I'd say I didn't waste my time. Majority of the cast was enjoyable enough, no-one really grating to see. Silly plot. A solid 7/10 type of show, I would say.

fertygo

There are quite a few series which should be better than Aldonah if they pan out though. I'm especially interested in Death Parade, Lesbian Bear Storm, Rolling Girls, Shounen Hollywood S2, and Yoru no Yatterman.

I'm on Death Parade train for sure, that post just tongue-in-cheek.. There's always good animu.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken - 07,08,09,10,11,12,13

WHERE IS MEY SECOND SEASON ??

WHERE IS IT ?

GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Man that was good , clearly a 2014 favorite , loved the characters , loved the reference , loved the situations.

Bring it on , next season ...!!

Bahamut 12

Well, the series lost its way once it got well in the demon keys and pitiful devils as big bosses and Amira got turned into a 5 years old girl, and it didn't recovered. And all the action and good animation in the last two episodes can't make me care for the by-the-numbers fantasy plot with world-destruction menace.
The big bad devil was pathetic, it happened exactly what I was thinking it would happen, he just was the first victim of Bahamut.
And the other guy, the puppeteer in the shadows, was also pathetic. He was the typical "I want to destroy the world! bwah-hah-hah!" because the writers didn't care enough to give a justification and they needed someone to try to destroy the world. And if he could be trapped as normal bounty... why didn't Kaisar did it, directly, and without losing the freaking arm??

That said the last five minutes were good, with the couple flying, climbing the dragon and
the goodbye with Amira, as the epilogue with them riding into the sunset.

jbug617

Banned
I bought a new media storage shelf so while I moving things around I discovered a couple of my DVD art boxes are damaged (stuck together). They were is a specific draw and just seems to only have that damage from that one draw. I'm mad.

Grisaia - 13
If this episode doesn't make youinvest even a little in the grisaia kickstarter , then YOU REALLY SHOULD !!!

Well the grisaia first season anime did change things but ultimately will get more things done since the retcon in the labyrinth of grisaia had already started.

The anime was alright You might say "yuugi was overpowered, plz nerf" , but you haven't seen yet what overpowered trully is. I certainly enjoyed the subtle clues across each arc regarding Labyrith & eden that were scaterred .. and overall the anime was enjoyable with a competent MC , that doesn't like crybabies and trully want to bond with the cast ( even if he remains at a certain distance when needed )

I'm looking forward to what the second and third season will add and since i've backed the kickstarter already i might just pick up the blu-ray once they are available to me.

Ps: that tease at the end was glorious

Quasar

I'm not sure that's true?
It's not like videogames where Summer is always particularly weak. I don't pay a lot of attention to that kind of stuff but I don't think certain seasons are typically stronger then the others for anime.
I could be wrong though.

I don't either really. Some seasons are more likely to have certain kinds of material though it seems. That said the upcoming one seems weak simply from the amount of shows. At least based on anichart. Seems like there's 10 or more less shows than recent seasons.

phaze

If only it didn't have that bird...

It's mostly all jokes without much drama for the rest of the show too.

Glad to hear that. 3rd ep was great too. This show flew completely under my radar.

Bahamut 12

The big bad devil was pathetic, it happened exactly what I was thinking it would happen, he just was the first victim of Bahamut.
And the other guy, the puppeteer in the shadows, was also pathetic. He was the typical "I want to destroy the world! bwah-hah-hah!" because the writers didn't care enough to give a justification and they needed someone to try to destroy the world. And if he could be trapped as normal bounty... why didn't Kaisar did it, directly, and without losing the freaking arm??

Explaining that would require exposition on bounty hunter bracelets. They take the "show not tell" rule very seriously :p

Accel World - 20

Ah crap. Looks like Noumi's really doing his work. :(

I never thought I'd say this, but I hope this show brings back Niko. Surely she could fix this entire mess Haru and the others have gotten themselves into!

I used to really enjoy the experimental animation for Studio 4C. I can see the appeal in independent animations.

My only exposure to 4C was the Thundercats reboot (which sucked) and the M-Flo music videos (which were awesome). I think they need to do more original stuff.

Accel World - 21

ajgYyc8.png

PRODUCT PLACEMENT AWAAAAAAYYYY.

Taku begins training in Nen with the Incarnate system, while Haru and a maid riding a motorcycle go to the Polar Bear Bar to get information on Burst Linkers that don't show up in the matching list.

Kinda wondering how this is all going to get wrapped up with only three episodes left. Regardless, I continue to find the show to be really enjoyable.

Peco

L'Animation indépendante japonaise

Nay

Dreams

Pure abstract art. It has a few neat images, but mostly trash.

Great Rabbit

Idle trash. Some likes fatty boys.

Haru no Shikumi.

Same author, same crap, same fatty boys.

Hand Soap

Slow as hell. Didn't like it but at least it had a theme, mundane life and puberty. Guess what "hand soap" actually refers to.

Kappo

I feel I could stretch out and make a guess about the hidden meaning of this short, but I also could make myself a fool while doing it.

Modern No 2

Shapes moving around and transforming. At least the music and the visual rythmn is well coordinated.

Watashi no Kao

Lots of ugly imagery and gurggling sounds.

what

why

those are some of the best

also, hating on wada, why is such a thing even allowed?

Glad to hear that. 3rd ep was great too. This show flew completely under my radar.

Explaining that would require exposition on bounty hunter bracelets. They take the "show not tell" rule very seriously :p

Weren't they both official "bounty hunters", even if Kaisar didn't like the idea?

cajunator

Banned
My only exposure to 4C was the Thundercats reboot (which sucked) and the M-Flo music videos (which were awesome). I think they need to do more original stuff.

They do.
Check out memories, mindgame, Steamboy, Tekkonkincreet, Tweeny witches, Noiseman sound insect, Digital juice, genius party, amazing nuts, sweat punch, and parts of Animatrix.

Firemind

wow the winter season looks absolutely dreadful. rip in peace anime

i didn't even know a third season of milky holmes existed and apparently it's godawful, so i'm not exactly hopeful the fourth season can match the first season or even the second season.

Puni Puni Poemy 1 and 2 END

One of the lewdest Magical Girl shows I've seen so far. We have Poemi/Kobayashi and her friend, Futaba, who is gay for her (to the point of sleeping with her in the nude and fantasize about rolling around with Poemi in the nude), as well as Futaba's lewd sisters, each revolving around different fetishes.

Hell, it even opens off with Poemi changing, only to fail to cover up her hoo-ha. The overall plot was even about kidnapping women because they had access to PC gaming. On the other hand, it had Watanabe.

Needless to say, I can see why it was packed with that one Kamen anime by Go Nagai, who is also featured naked as well.

From the wiki

Feature films

Memories (1995)
Spriggan (1998)
Princess Arete (2001)
Mind Game (2004)
Steamboy (2005)
Tekkonkinkreet (2006)

First Squad: The Moment of Truth (2009)
Berserk: Golden Age Arc
The Egg of the King (2012)
The Battle for Doldrey (2012)
The Descent (2013)

Sachiko (????)
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

TV series

Uraroji Diamond (2000)
Piroppo (2001)
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! (2004)
Tweeny Witches (2004)
Kimagure Robot (2004)
Ani*Kuri15 (2007)
Transformers: Animated (2008)
ThunderCats (2011)
Chiisana Hana no Uta (2013)

OVA

Tobira O Akete (1995)
Debutante Detective Corps (1996)
Noiseman Sound Insect (1997)
Eternal Family (1997)
The Animatrix &#8211; "Kid's Story" (2003)
Hijikata Toshizo: Shiro no Kiseki (2004)
Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
Have I Got A Story For You
Working Through Pain
Detroit Metal City (2008)
Street Fighter IV &#8211; Aratanaru Kizuna (2009)
Halo Legends (2010)
The Babysitter
Origins
Kuro no Sumika - Chronus - (Young Animator Training Project 2014)

Short films

Gondora (1998)
Digital Juice (2001)
Jigen Loop (2001)
Sweat Punch (5 short films, 2001&#8211;2002. Collected and released on DVD in 2007) &#8211; "Professor Dan Petory's Blues", "End of the World", "Comedy", "Beyond", and "Junk Town".
Amazing Nuts! Part 1 &#8211; Global Astroliner (2006)
Amazing Nuts! Part 2 &#8211; Glass Eyes (2006)
Amazing Nuts! Part 3 &#8211; Kung Fu Love &#8211; Even If You Become the Enemy of the World (2006)
Amazing Nuts! Part 4 &#8211; Joe and Marilyn (2006)
Tamala's "Wild Party" (2007)
Genius Party (July 7, 2007) A collection of 7 short films
Genius Party Beyond (February 15, 2008) A collection of 5 short films

The Babysitter (2009) A Halo Legends short portraying the relationship between the Spartans and the ODSTs
My Last Day (2011) &#8211; Created in association with The JESUS Film Project, Brethren Entertainment, and Barry Cook
Kid Icarus: Uprising &#8211; "Medusa's Revenge"[2] (2012) &#8211; Promotional short for Kid Icarus: Uprising video game
Drive Your Heart (2013) Spin-off to PES-peace eco smile, short film produced to advertise Toyota.
Tuzki: Love Assassin (2014)[3]

Bolded what I watched.

Mmm they have more short films and OVAs I didn't know, I will try to get my hands on them. Any recommendations from the unbolded part people?

Accel World - 23

YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

Black King Kuroyukihime is back! Now the REAL final battle can start now!

Noumi is already a better villain than any of SAO's villains. He at least has a decent backstory, unlike Mr. "I trapped people in a virtual MMO that kills them in real life if they die there and forgot the reason why"

wonzo

Banned
Then again, who wrote Master Keaton? Urasawa and Nagasaki claim that they did (rather than Katsushika Hokusei / Kimura Hajime, who's a bit too dead to defend himself), but I don't know that I'd believe those guys.
... Oh, speaking of which, I see that they did manage to get Katsushika's name to be featured less prominently than Urasawa's on the recent edition, in the end... I don't imagine they'd want to do the same with Tezuka's name on Pluto though. Funny, that.
Yeah this was what really started to sour me on Urasawa. What a piece of shit.

Over the years I started to share this sentiment as well. Urasawa's major works all try to keep building this big grand mystery, but the revelations just never live up to any of the hype. Plus his works are terrible for rereads since once you are familiar with his bullshit there isn't much else to admire. Well his art is pretty so that's something.

dude should just stick to stuff like yawara

BluWacky

Mmm they have more short films and OVAs I didn't know, I will try to get my hands on them. Any recommendations from the unbolded part people?

Noiseman Sound Insect is good. Weird, but good.

I enjoyed what I watched of Tweeny Witches but I only got around half way through. It's a little (only a little, mind you!) like a prototypical Little Witch Academia.

Mature

From the wiki

Bolded what I watched.

Eternal Family, Noiseman, Jigen Loop, and Digital Juice are all great, short Koji Morimoto shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom