• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

Is the manga of Akame ga Kill! worth reading then? I can't tell if the show is bad, or if the adaption of the source material is just bad.

Is the manga of Akame ga Kill! worth reading then? I can't tell if the show is bad, or if the adaption of the source material is just bad.

Personally the manga is crap.

It can't decide whether it wants to be grimdark Berserk or harem hijinks the manga. One scene you'll see a bunch of dead bodies with their entrails sticking out of their stomach as birds feed on it, the other the giant boob girl is hugging the lead.

But then again it's all subjective. It depends on your definition of good and bad.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Same thing but much longer, but I don't think the manga had ended yet.

The best thing about the manga is going on mangaGAF and guessing who die next, and pointing out the obvious death flag. Oh yeah the Xmas tree one is awesome too.

Akame ga Kill! END

Absolutely vile in every way. Anyone who has a love for the manga needs to stay away from this adaptation.
I MEAN REALLY YOU KILL OFF LEONE LIKE THAT!? HOLY FUCKING SHIT

I hope the manga author of akame ga kill will look at the comment and pay note of what to not do for the finale of the manga.

I don't mind sudden deaths but i really dislike rushed stuff , i dislike the bad payoffs
It's a shame since akame ga kill could have been a great adaptation ( and it was , for the most part ) but NO, just No

"death flags" , the anime was killed during his flight by his own anime production comitee.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 1

YuGiOh x Madoka? This actually looks pretty good all thing considering. I was also going to praise the show for dipicting a healthy brother sister relationship between the MC and her brother, but that ending has me worried...

What the hell, I'll keep watching.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Stay Night UBW 10-

The animation in this episode was absolutely outstanding at times. However then other times, we get sequences like this:
iUPE80Jnt0FqT.jpg

What the fuck are you doing? This is clearly supposed to be a reaction shot so why is are they using a long distance camera position when the focus should be on Emiya's face. All we see is some basic body language from way too far away to be effective.

There are also shots like these:

Which is just nonsensical as they don't serve to do anything but distract the viewer. Why do I need to see the abandoned gas station during a conversation? This shot would have made more sense in the beginning to establish setting rather than during a critical conversation.

We also have the characters, mainly Shirou being a dumbass motherfucker. Tohsaka was trying to set up a strategy and Shirou doesn't give any fucks. I should also mention how mindbogglingly stupid it is that both Tohsaka and Shirou go back to school without backup after the previous incident.

Watching this after Fate/Zero really emphasizes for me that the teenagers don't belong in this setting or if they are used, they should be acting in a radically different manner compared to as displayed in the anime.

Phatmac

Good fight that had a sad but obvious end even if I wanted the other side to win. Surprised we didn't get a super clichéd scene with tatsumi and ever other night raid member welcoming him to the
after life or a scene with him and esdeath
Sucks that leone died for no reason and I don't get why Akame had to go to exile. Decent end but I hope the manga end differently.

cajunator

Banned
Early Christmas for AnimeGAF from Santa Sento:

P.S: I never realized how perfect 23's artstyle is for Sento http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=47520153 (tad NSFW)

Im not crazy about Sento but thanks for the pic.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 1

YuGiOh x Madoka? This actually looks pretty good all thing considering. I was also going to praise the show for dipicting a healthy brother sister relationship between the MC and her brother, but that ending has me worried...

What the hell, I'll keep watching.

Lol. you too? We're in this together now.

Sora no Method 11

Drama resolution episodes are always the best part of these kind of series, especially when the drama itself starts to drag on too long, or isn't done well. This was a pretty good episode, and I wouldn't have been disappointed if it ended here. With two more, I guess they still have some loose threads left to resolve.

Still soundtrack of the season. Also, I love it when shows do alternate or remixed ED depending on the episode.

mAc Chaos

Neo Member
It's not so much rage as it is frustration.

I'm fine with Rin having a soft spot for Emiya. That, in and of itself, is not a negative. In fact, I think that would've been a plus if she retained her cold rationality and focus but was humanised by caring for Emiya. That would've been fine. The issue I have is that Emiya merely being proximity makes Rin lose her drive to succeed. She wasn't focused on advancing through the Holy Grail War. No, instead she was forced into full blown tsundere mode and feigning reluctance in having to deal with him, even though that obviously isn't the case. It's just frustrating to see a potentially strong female character ruined like that because of a silly romantic subplot.

What drew me in the most with fate/zero was the concept, the lore and characters. The top notch animation and fights were simply a bonus then, and they are now, but the difference is that fate/stay night doesn't have the benefit of interesting characters or plot.

I was referring to the previous adaptation in terms of bad reputation, yes. I didn't learn of the nature of the novels until last night.

Archer is suspect and his conduct has been cause for concern, there's no denying that, but he wouldn't be able to act out with Rin there, nor do I think that he would be stupid enough to try again after failing to merk Emiya. He's been pretty up front with Rin thus far, and given the risk they were taking with tracking down Caster, I don't see why she would see fit to sideline her primary means of survival because he doesn't play nice with others.

I think part of the confusion is because they're adapting the second route, UBW, instead of Fate. Fate introduces the characters, and establishes the lore and setting. Then UBW is meant to contrast with what we already know, and give a new spin on a lot of it.

I don't think Rin is dumb for sparing Shirou; she's the only real dependable ally she's got, with one of the strongest Servants, against Caster who's already a huge opponent. Why would she want to get rid of that?

Shirou always has different priorities. From the interaction he had with Archer and Caster at the temple, you saw that he valued saving individual lives over all others. So obviously he's going to want to make sure that Kuzuki isn't innocent before he tries to kill him.

The adaptation drops some lines here and there that end up making plot holes, like Kuzuki not explaining WHY Caster and him should retreat. For me, the adaptations were always the tip of the iceberg, like watching a movie based on a book. You still want to check out all the other materials in the franchise to get more of the story, since each piece gives you more of it.

Jarmel

Banned
Shirou always has different priorities. From the interaction he had with Archer and Caster at the temple, you saw that he valued saving individual lives over all others. So obviously he's going to want to make sure that Kuzuki isn't innocent before he tries to kill him.

He should have informed her that he was going to be doing that before just up and surprising her.

mAc Chaos

Neo Member
He should have informed her that he was going to be doing that before just up and surprising her.

Probably. He's always been impulsive that way.

I mean that's just part of the character. It's not like it's an oversight in the writing. The character has always been reckless. That's what causes him to run into an impending explosion to grab Saber, or stick his arm out and let it get impaled by Rider.

Instead of looking at all the characters like they should be mini-Kiritsugus, you should look at their different priorities.

Also, people overrate how "smart" Kiritsugu was. Half of his problems were from refusing to work with his own Servant. That's because he had a personality with more going on than just a computer trying to do winning chess moves. What you consider "winning" changes depending on who you are anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I mean that's just part of the character. It's not like it's an oversight in the writing. The character has always been reckless. That's what causes him to run into an impending explosion to grab Saber, or stick his arm out and let it get impaled by Rider.

Instead of looking at all the characters like they should be mini-Kiritsugus, you should look at their different priorities.

Also, people overrate how "smart" Kiritsugu was. Half of his problems were from refusing to work with his own Servant. That's because he had a personality with more going on than just a computer trying to do winning chess moves. What you consider "winning" changes depending on who you are anyway.

People asking why the characters don't mechanically do things is a big problem with criticism of the franchise.

Selector Infected WIXOSS - 2

I think the show might be trying a bit too hard, here.

Just because a character is written to be what he or she is does not mean that a person is obligated to like it. People like different things.

Midonin

People asking why the characters don't mechanically do things is a big problem with criticism of the franchise.
And when a character like that actually does exist (Tatsuya), they end up boring.

All logic really is is justifying emotions anyway, and even if it is a battle royale, that doesn't mean everyone actually wants to kill people. Killing people is hard.

Ive been watching yuuki Yuuna. Its just time for some good old fashioned Mari Okada in my life again.

I watch both and enjoy them both for different reasons.

I'm just slightly ticked at this new surge of WIXOSS watchers lately, haha. I mean, there was Corvo, then Branduil, and now Cajun and Tera.

The amount of Yuki Yuna watchers in here is a pretty low number compared to the amount of WIXOSS watchers!

Fate Stay Night UBW - 09

This was slow, but finding out there's one more Servant available to pickup was interesting. How does that work? Does it mean no one managed to summon it before the war "started", and it's just chilling in the spirit world?
Shinji being an asshole over Illidan, what a bitch. I hope he dies soon along with Emiya, preferably shot by Archer or mashed by Berserker.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm just slightly ticked at this new surge of WIXOSS watchers lately, haha. I mean, there was Corvo, then Branduil, and now Cajun and Tera.

The amount of Yuki Yuna watchers in here is a pretty low number compared to the amount of WIXOSS watchers!

This bothers me.
More people need to watch Yuki Yuna

At least in Yuki Yuna there's some sense of ubeat hope in that.

WIXOSS from what I read just seems to be suffering, suffering, and more suffering.
Oh Wixoss has Hope too, it's just that the suffering is stronger !!

People have forgotten what kind of show WIXOSS really is.

I don't think we have especially since Wixoss has changed many plot thread since the start of the first season.it has evolved ( nobody know for better or worse untill we see the finale next week )

at the very least many characters actions (for the most part anyway, there are many times that dumb shit happens for plot convenience) in f s/n are explained. whether you think those explanations are good or terrible depends on the person.

shirou is a dumbass, and I'm convinced nasu pretty much wrote f s/n around all the ways to keep him from not dying (40 bad ends whatever, those aren't the "true endings"). the fact that the universe basically bends to keep him alive is what I most dislike with f s/n.

Oh Wixoss has Hope too, it's just that the suffering is stronger !!

I don't think we have especially since Wixoss has changed many plot thread since the start of the first season.it has evolved ( nobody know for better or worse untill we see the finale next week )

I'm not being serious, I'm just referencing madp's reviews of the show. I miss them. :lol

bigkrev

So I never post here but...

My brother and I like to watch an anime together each holiday break. The last 2 years we watched Evangelion and Welcome to NHK.

We were thinking of Hyouka this time, although both Magi and Noragami were on our radar. I'm guessing Hyouka is is the best choice though?

Any help would be appreciated. The odds are of you think of something, we haven't seen it.

mAc Chaos

Neo Member
Just because a character is written to be what he or she is does not mean that a person is obligated to like it. People like different things.

Of course. A lot of people hated Kiritsugu too.

I just mean that it's not a mistake in writing like some people think, or that scenes are being written in a way to just bail him out because the writers want to make a harem or something (like Rin not randomly trying to murder him).

My brother and I like to watch an anime together each holiday break. The last 2 years we watched Evangelion and Welcome to NHK.

We were thinking of Hyouka this time, although both Magi and Noragami were on our radar. I'm guessing Hyouka is is the best choice though?

Any help would be appreciated. The odds are of you think of something, we haven't seen it.
You're not going to see much opposition to Hyouka here.

cajunator

Banned

Hyouka is ok. Starts off dreadfully slow but picks up about halfway. Production quality is amazing though. Also Mayaka really really sucks.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar 14

Haruma never really has considered sending Choco to school, has he? She gets along well enough with the kindergarten kids, even if her mind seems to be at least a few years older. She just doesn't have much in the way of real world experience. The Nekonyan Dance being something in universe is fun, and Yurika's presence, while somewhat typical, does provide enough dynamics for the story to allow Choco to have her own storylines at last. Makoto was a bit too forceful this time, and probably drunk.

Beefeater

Banned
And now comes the question I was dreading because fucking A' I didn't want to jump into another show that has this many years on the air and probably hundreds of episodes: I ask of thee fair AnimeGAF, which seasons, films, tv specials or episodes of Lupin III should I watch. For the sake of my heart I hope that the answer isn't "all of it" because that's a lot of content and overwhelming. It doesn't mean I won't watch it all, but god damn that's a ride.

Just saying, you might be missing out if you only watch the Telecom episodes. Their (and Miyazaki's) take on Lupin is not the only worthwhile stuff in the franchise.

I recently read through this article (and its comments) to figure out what Lupin Series 2 episodes are most worthwhile to watch, and I compiled a little txt document that "ranks" the episodes according to that. I'll be going through the highlights/interesting stuff when I watch the series myself, since 155 episodes is way too much for me.

The document may be a little in-depth, but just stick to the +'es, /'es and Telecom episodes to get the very best (which I plan to). Even if you watch everything in the list it will amount to just 60 eps, probably filtering out most of the crap.

Also, Lupin Series 1 has a fairly high reputation and is mostly directed by Miyazaki and Takahata. A little rough around the edges, but it has some great episodes. Maybe I'll do a similar guide for that series when I've finished it.

As for movies and specials, Fuma Conspiracy is well regarded by Cagliostro fans with outstanding animation, and Episode 0: First Contact gets a lot of love. Other than that I haven't dived deep enough to know much about them, though. The only movie I've watched is Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone, directed by Koike who made Redline and the character designs for The woman called Fujiko MIne. The animation is gorgeous so you should really check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom