• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They got the heights wrong :(

Also none of the senshi have red hair wtf.

Narag

Purple haired one reminds me of Rarity.
HkzbGcM.gif

Branduil

I'm not threatened, just a forum thread is not the place I'm interested in walls of text. Thats for blogs and other places (like medium for instance) imo. Which I read/consume. Even if its rare to find any that really line up with my pov for the most part.

I consider this more like a bar chat.

Sounds like you go to some crappy bars.

The majinbone op 2 full version is amazing, they need to do more songs. Its perfect for fighting.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 36
tumblr_ngxdiiUbAJ1rzcpvjo10_500.jpg

Barely any dueling but finally some questions are being answered, while others are being raised. The whole multi world story of the different ways of summoning being the setting for different worlds is extremely interesting. Though they didnt say if pendulum or ritual summoning had worlds. I wonder if Academia is truly bad here, as it seemed Yuugo has some issue with Yuuto, implying that the xyz world may not truly be as pure as they were making it in the Academia story for it. I hope not as I still cant see the gallant Sora being antagonistic as Yuuto is trying to say. Poor Yuuya.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - 8

Sorry TTGL, you have just been dethroned as the anime with the best hot springs episode ever. You're still my favourite anime of all time, but you no longer have the title of best hot springs episode ever in my book.

Because this was the funniest, most epic, most thrilling hot springs anime episode that I have EVER seen.

Just amazing.

Trinity Seven Overall Thoughts
Errr.....
It was alright, but not better than the manga. At least it followed all the arc in the manga plus more fanservice. The series is also know to break much of the formula of the harem genre, as you actually get a decent cast that are not stupid or too dense.

But still, if you want more of this shit, read the manga. For lewd stuff, you can always wait for Shokugeki no Soma and Prison School. Unless you are crazy like me and somehow like the harem genre for some inexplicit reason, don't even bother. I do not recommend this.

Yuki Yuna Is A Hero 5-6

C7Y8Uwk.png

Hand...hungers....Cant...control!

Down, swordhand!

7dm3yw7.png

Ah, I see where the
despair will come from going forward. I think it will be a lot more interesting if no one dies going forward and everyone learns to cope with their disabilities.

Every episode I prepare for the worst. So far its just been uneasiness.

Is Shirbako actually good or does it turn into P.A. Works garbage drama like all of their other shows? I assumed the latter would happen so I never touched it.

All the drama comes from problems with the production of the anime so no, there isn't really any typical P.A. Works Drama.

Mature

So I guess it's close enough to Christmas to educate you all on the greatest, purest, Christmas episode of anime. I, of course, speak of Urusei Yatsura episode 79 The House of Mendou - Summer X'mas.
It starts as any good Christmas special does: in a bed of ruins on the outskirts of a city with gunplay.
Shutaro is practicing his aim on some targets (shaped like his classmates). After finishing his training, he's informed by his private military that his sister, Ryoko, who is the very definition of troll, is up to something. "Forget it... You'll go crazy if you deal with them." Shutaro brushes off the rumblings. The Kuroko's (stage hands in Japanese theater who also happen to work for Ryoko) begin showing up at all the characters houses with invitations to a "Summer X'mas Party". What's more, Individual participation is prohibited— you must go as a couple.
After everyone finds a partner and shows up to the party, they're informed that they're not on the party floor. To get to the party floor, they must face a challenge... with Lupin claws and an enormous Christmas Tree.
It's an amazing episode and one of my favorites in general from UY. It works fine by itself, so seek it out if you're looking for something fun in the Christmas spirit... Then, you know, watch the rest of Urusei Yatsura.

Is Shirobako actually good or does it turn into P.A. Works garbage drama like (almost) all of their other shows? I assumed the latter would happen so I never touched it.

I think it's legitimately one of the best five or so anime of the decade right now.

There's no garbage drama at all. In fact, it's got by far the best writing of any anime this year.

Clov

I don't know about top five of the decade, but Shirobako is definitely one of the best of the season. It's an interesting look at the anime industry, but it's also a nice drama. It has adult characters with more realistic problems than you'd typically find in an anime, so it's refreshing in that sense. I'd definitely recommend it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it's legitimately one of the best five or so anime of the decade right now.
I like Shirobako but its delivery of the material feels notably plain, and a decade is a long time. Even looking at stuff from P.A. Works we just had Uchouten Kazoku last year.

I like Shirobako but its delivery of the material feels notably plain, and a decade is a long time. Even looking at stuff from P.A. Works we just had Uchouten Kazoku last year.

I have it above Eccentric Family, but I think they're both in the conversation. The decade is almost five years in at this point, and based on what we've seen, I personally feel like Shirobako is at least in the top 5-10 of that group.

It doesn't necessarily have the same amount of power in it as something that Flowers of Evil had, but while it might be a little more plain in that regard, it always has an extremely strong sense of energy with just about every scene. It's a well directed show that has some pretty strong material, and a lot of really good character work. I at least feel comfortable in putting it in the conversation along side Flowers, Hyouka, From the New World, Yamato, Penguindrum, and the other really strong shows since 2011.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shirobako is for enthusiasts. Its appeal drastically drops if you don't have a vested interest in the creation of anime or animation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shirobako is for enthusiasts. Its appeal drastically drops if you don't have a vested interest in the creation of anime or animation.
I feel like that certainly helps in some ways, but a lot of the interpretation is generalized enough for anyone with work experience to be able to relate to the material. Having an understanding of its enthusiast vocabulary adds an extra layer in some ways, but it doesn't feel designed to specifically cater to a high level audience.

cajunator

Banned
Why can't we all just get along?

I am often asking the same thing.

All this serious talk around here. Anyone feeling down and serious about anime should watch Gundam Build Fighters.

Accel World - 13

So Chiyuri finally gets Burst Link and is a healer. Which seems to be a pretty big deal in the Accelerated World. I can see why, given that anybody would want a healer on their team in a game like Brain Burst.

There also seems to be a new Burst Linker...or apparently not?

This show is doing a good job of definitely keeping the plot going to keep me interested. The world building in this show is pretty stellar. First Brain Burst seems to be a kind of regular virtual fighting game, and then it's revealed that there's an MMO-esque world where time moves differently a la the Time Chamber thing from DBZ. Added with the little facts like the territory battles, the Legion Masters, the fact that healers are very hard to come by, etc.

I just really like that kind of stuff in anime with little details like those.

Accel World has some major faults but I really think it is a way better executed anime than Sword art Online in many ways. The characters are less set pieces and have more defined roles and the settings dont look quite as generic fantasy. I appreciate how each region has different looking avatars/fighters and the ability to enter the world from any place and point in time. Its a fun idea that expands on the few interesting things that SAO introduced then promptly abandoned in favor of self fulfillment fantasy bullshit.
Also, Niko is amazing.

Kiddy Grade 22-24 + Final Thoughts

I will admit that Grade and Girl-and are certainly different, being made with different goals and in different eras of anime with different trends, but based on viewing them in reverse order and separated by a number of years, I think Grade sets out what it wants to be more quickly, but I wouldn't disown Girl-and entirely. There's still some things I liked about it, but that's for another time.

The finale reminded me of the best parts of Spaceballs and Star Wars at the same time. Giant ship battles, but also EcLu getting to do what they do best. The moment where
Lumiere won the battle by taking control of the giant ship
was pretty rad. I loved that the clones and their rainbow fleet returned to help, too.

The idea of "class struggle in space with superpowers" is an interesting one, and elements from as far back as the start of the show all tied into things later on. I didn't see any huge flaws in the animation, and getting a peek at one of Aya Hirano's earlier roles was a curiosity. I haven't seen too many sci-fi anime like this, but I enjoyed this one. It's got a good amount of substance, and a good amount of fun. A product of its era to be sure, but a lot of what it's saying still holds up today.

Next up, Azumanga Daioh. The one daily life comedy that really stuck to the overseas fandom. I'm going to figure out why it did, and wonder what other series are worthy of joining it. (One of the answers is already K-ON!)

I am incredibly glad you enjoyed this series. Its one of my older favorites, both for the design and the fun space political saga that went all kinds of directions. The powers and abilities were interesting and no one character seemed OP to the point of being unbeatable. If anything I would criticize the ending for being a little rushed and deus ex machina but thats ok. I think you probably appreciate Kiddy Girl And a bit more than most because it was the first of the series you watched so there was no "letdown" from Kiddy Grade. A lot of sequels are ok on their own but the disappointment comes from the raised expectations from the previous series.

If I might ask, what made you watch Kiddy Girl And first?

To be fair, thats a pretty safe list. Most of it is widely accepted mainstream anime. I doubt many would straight up disagree with it for the casual fans.

Sighing at all the elitism in dis thread. AnimeGAF disappoints me once more. School Days > your favorite anime, guaranteed.

Actually, Haibane Renmei >>>>>>> your favorite anime, but to each his or her own.

I have it above Eccentric Family, but I think they're both in the conversation. The decade is almost five years in at this point, and based on what we've seen, I personally feel like Shirobako is at least in the top 5-10 of that group.

It doesn't necessarily have the same amount of power in it as something that Flowers of Evil had, but while it might be a little more plain in that regard, it always has an extremely strong sense of energy with just about every scene. It's a well directed show that has some pretty strong material, and a lot of really good character work. I at least feel comfortable in putting it in the conversation along side Flowers, Hyouka, From the New World, Yamato, Penguindrum, and the other really strong shows since 2011.

You forgot to add Gintama my friend.

Branduil

I feel like that certainly helps in some ways, but a lot of the interpretation is generalized enough for anyone with work experience to be able to relate to the material. Having an understanding of its enthusiast vocabulary adds an extra layer in some ways, but it doesn't feel designed to specifically cater to a high level audience.

Yu Yu Hakusho Disc 1 of Vol 3 END of Dark Tournament

WOW YOOSAKE YOU LOOK KIND OF COOL

I noticed there were episodes that tried to tell us "HEY ANIMATION", but two specific episodes have this bizarre and rather cartoony artstyle that's somewhat endearing. The last episode, and Hiei's last fight in this arc. It's so bizarre, that it just feels a bit odd given the older animation.

It's probably a good thing that Yukina's socially awkward or else she would've been sick of Kuwabara's shit tho.
Wouldn't mind a bit more build up between Genkai and Togoro though, but it wasn't quite last minute at least.

With my progress, I am now up to where I left off all these years ago. Unfortunately aware of some spoilers, but other than that, it's practically new territory for me here otherwise.

cajunator

Banned
Are all harems automatically shit? Or is there an example of a harem that surpasses it's genre's failings? My candidate would tend towards Clannad, but that is with so many caveats that it may not fit the mark.

The ending to AS is nonsense, super smart girl's arc was atrocious etc. But most of those failings were due to poor writing and not stuff necessarily endemic with the genre. There's definitely some stuff that are heads and shoulders above most harem/harem-lite shows. I wrote a bit about this before so I'll just quote myself.

CLANNAD SPOILERS

CLANNAD SPOILERS

Nah. I would say the Monogatari shows are at least clever and unique in the genre and several other harem types actually try some creative things. They arent completely shit.

I think kiddy grade ideas are good, great even and the execution was almost masterfull.
Why ? Before getting into the meat of what Kiddy grade wanted to tell you see various aspect of the world through various events , the low position of eclair and lumière made them believable and those episode like the holiday episode were great to show the characters and the world around them.
That why the twist and the painfull journey that starts around the middle works . because you know enough of the world to understand everyone viewpoint and you know the characters . This is one aspect of kiddy grade that i absolutely loved.
It's not like the noble vs people aspect arrived without warning , the subtle hints were there , from the start .

That's one aspect of kiddy girl-and that they trully missed. They tried to do something similar but they failed horribly.Kiddy girl and needed to expand the world in question , not trace back and take the same path as before , not only this was "dejà-vu" but it wasn't on the same level as the first serie.

Still kiddy grade is an excellent anime , IMO that was at his core just fun but knew when to be serious.

A favorite of mine , no doubt.

Humf .. i'm scared to click .
( i won't click )

Well i clicked and i saw it was a video, this is too much for me . kotaku anime articles scared me for life !!

Yeah Kiddy Grade is up on my favorites list somewhere. Maybe not top ten at this point but I REALLY love it. It was incredibly easy to watch and the OP and ED are definitely some I will always remember. Eclair and Lumire are characters that also stick with you and generally the show is just pleasant to sit down and watch in mass quantities. The art rarely falters and the character designs are only repeated once more in Uta Kata.
If anyone is looking for a good, fun, action packed sci fi series with a solid story and a lot of characters this is a good one to watch.

People sure are getting o̶b̶n̶o̶x̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ aggressive about this huh.

Its not worth it. Never is.

The only real problems I have with AnimeGAF insofar as actual anime discussion goes is A) the tendency to retroactively enforce a consensus on everything that airs, even shows that are in reality hotly contested in respects to its quality, and B) evaluating anime in the context of the sum of its parts. To be fair that latter concern can be applied to GAF as a whole and it's far more annoying when people do it with games than with television.

I would agree that there appears to be pressure to conform one way or another to a set opinion about certain series. Myself I just like whatever the hell interests me.
For example, I will fervently defend Maburaho as a decently fun harem anime even though it is pretty astoundingly mediocre at times (fuck the ghost arc) and no one talks about it.

Waifubot occasionally does good things.

Think I'm going to start Inou Battle.

Great decision!

Inou Battle 1

Interesting so far, will keep watching.

Hatoko is the best. The best best.

Is Shirobako actually good or does it turn into P.A. Works garbage drama like (almost) all of their other shows? I assumed the latter would happen so I never touched it.

its Cajun approved my good BEAR :D

imagine playing this video out of context out loud in a library.

Quasar

For example, I will fervently defend Maburaho as a decently fun harem anime even though it is pretty astoundingly mediocre at times (fuck the ghost arc) and no one talks about it

I enjoyed it overall, even if I thought it had a crappy ending. Though thats par for the course with romantic comedies.

Clov

It looks like I'll have to wait to finish Bubblegum Crisis. I'm visiting my parents for the holidays, and after I finished another three episodes tonight, I realized that I had given their plasma screen some burn-in. I really didn't think that through at all.

I've tossed on The Wind Rises, hoping that the bright colors will fix it. Any other tips to fix this stupid blunder of mine before anyone notices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom