• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Fallout 4] Modding "Fallout 4". Mods and discussion within

I don't like mods that just make everything super dark. There's no fun in that. But the screenshots of the character lighting mod really do add a lot of atmosphere. I'll need to check that out.

I think there's plenty of fun in that, especially when it helps to give meaning to mechanics like night-vision and headlamps, but to each his own. The Light Tweaks mod helps to add a load of atmosphere to previously strangely-lit indoor environments without messing too much with how the game looks, and I really enjoy using the darker nights mod at its darkest setting because it has me mixing up how I play - reduced visibility means better stealth, and more reason to use my night vision and targeted weapons and armors. And they help to make the game feel a bit more oppressive like the last two Fallout games without compromising its colorful art style one bit.

I took some screenshots a little while ago to show what these mods have done for the overall look of my game in interiors. Places with no windows and no power are appropriately pretty dark while places with windows and lights can be really moody and/or well-lit.

Arcjet Systems
arcjet1bhsxf.png
arcjet2obsen.png

Combat Zone
combat1uzsff.png
combat28ws6d.png

Fort Hagen
hagen1nqsxk.png
hagen2rfs6y.png

Supa Dupa Mart
smart1bvskz.png
smart2xusuy.png

smart3w9scm.png
smart4ussgp.png

I think that shit looks awesome, personally

Yes, dark is awesome. It adds a lot to the atmosphere and immersion. It's not fun fighting ghouls in the middle of the night when you can see them from miles away.
But then again, to each their own.

I use Uber Fidelity Reshade setting. It looks great. Using DSR for 4k. Saw a bunch of people using the Vogue enb.

I'm sorry for an incredibly noob question but how do I know if I've installed Uber Fidelity correctly? Is there some type of notification when the game boots? I know the ENB's I installed on Skyrim would tell me they were activated when I booted the game but saw no such thing with this ENB and can't really tell if its active or not

spannicus

I'm sorry for an incredibly noob question but how do I know if I've installed Uber Fidelity correctly? Is there some type of notification when the game boots? I know the ENB's I installed on Skyrim would tell me they were activated when I booted the game but saw no such thing with this ENB and can't really tell if its active or not
I just use the NMM. Vanilla has a washed out look, this preset removes it. Im a noob myself.

So I think I may have installed a few Skyrim mods in the day and I may even have some kind of Nexus account. My gaming time is limited, so what's the best way to download and manage mods for FO4 even if I have to shell out a few bucks? Is there some kind of mod manager?

So i'm sorry for another noob question, but I uninstalled all of my mod's because something is bothering me, boot back into the game, and they are still active.

How is this possible?

What mods are you using?

I tried out the mod to add leaves to trees, realized the actual foliage thats added looks truly awful, then uninstalled it. It was still there when I reloaded which I though was strange so then I uninstalled everything.

Boot back into the game.

Its all still there.

How is this even possible? I'm legit confused

Thorn

I tried out the mod to add leaves to trees, realized the actual foliage thats added looks truly awful, then uninstalled it. It was still there when I reloaded which I though was strange so then I uninstalled everything.

Boot back into the game.

Its all still there.

How is this even possible? I'm legit confused

That mod is just a texture and mesh replacer. You gotta go and delete the meshes and textures it installed.

Vex_

Banned
I don't like mods that just make everything super dark. There's no fun in that. But the screenshots of the character lighting mod really do add a lot of atmosphere. I'll need to check that out.

exactly.

First of all, I cant see shit.
Secondly, I cant shoot shit because I cant see straight.

So I cant see shit, and I cant shoot shit.

OH, but the enemies can see just fine? Yea, right. I can understand super mutants (Strong says his "brothers" can see well at night I am assuming he means other super mutants). I can also understand mirelurks and ghouls as they more 'sense' you than seeing you, but RAIDERS? How the hell are they still seeing me? Immersion breaking.

So I leave the lighting the way it is. Until a mod comes out that limits how far bad guys can see that is...

Most anticipated mod besides difficulty ones (of which there are already many) is one to make the target finder for power armor helmets not work on friendlies.

I don't need my companions or villages or shopkeepers to glow bright red when I'm talking to them, thank you power armor. Give me a toggle or something to turn it off when I'm in town, or on when I enter predator mode.

Well damn I used NMM for it so I have no idea what files it replaced. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall the entire game and reinstall it?

If you really can't tell which files were added inside the meshes and textures folders (normally they're named obviously, like treeleave02), just delete those folders. No need to delete the whole game.

Most anticipated mod besides difficulty ones (of which there are already many) is one to make the target finder for power armor helmets not work on friendlies.

I don't need my companions or villages or shopkeepers to glow bright red when I'm talking to them, thank you power armor. Give me a toggle or something to turn it off when I'm in town, or on when I enter predator mode.

Right on time.

Thorn

Well damn I used NMM for it so I have no idea what files it replaced. I guess I'm going to have to uninstall the entire game and reinstall it?

Nah, don't do that. Weird that NMM wouldn't remove the files. Do you have any other texture or mesh replacers?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Help me out with this: How exactly does Nexus MM work?

edit: NVM I just figured it out.

OMGGG theres a mod that removes the bs companion's not liking shit. thank god, you're around only to provide cover fire and be a packing mule, don't over estimate your importance.

I think there's plenty of fun in that, especially when it helps to give meaning to mechanics like night-vision and headlamps, but to each his own. The Light Tweaks mod helps to add a load of atmosphere to previously strangely-lit indoor environments without messing too much with how the game looks, and I really enjoy using the darker nights mod at its darkest setting because it has me mixing up how I play - reduced visibility means better stealth, and more reason to use my night vision and targeted weapons and armors. And they help to make the game feel a bit more oppressive like the last two Fallout games without compromising its colorful art style one bit.

I took some screenshots a little while ago to show what these mods have done for the overall look of my game in interiors. Places with no windows and no power are appropriately pretty dark while places with windows and lights can be really moody and/or well-lit.

I think that shit looks awesome, personally

how'd you change the color of the UI in power armor? mines is yellowish, i dont like it. in the settings i only see an option for the regular ui and pipboy ui which are both set to a whiteish color

exactly.

First of all, I cant see shit.
Secondly, I cant shoot shit because I cant see straight.

So I cant see shit, and I cant shoot shit.

OH, but the enemies can see just fine? Yea, right. I can understand super mutants (Strong says his "brothers" can see well at night I am assuming he means other super mutants). I can also understand mirelurks and ghouls as they more 'sense' you than seeing you, but RAIDERS? How the hell are they still seeing me? Immersion breaking.

So I leave the lighting the way it is. Until a mod comes out that limits how far bad guys can see that is...

#1 - you can still see well enough, especially if you equip yourself with in-game objects designed to enhance visibility, and especially if you have not implemented the fakelight disabling tweak. And at any rate the Darker Nights mod allows you to choose any level of darkness you like, including levels that are only mildly tweaked from the game's weak vanilla light.

#2 - you can shoot just fine too, read #1. plus there's night vision and targeting weaponry available for use that just plain have no use in vanilla lighting scenarios anyway

#3 - in regards to the bolded - even just reading the mod pages would tell you that yes, the NPCs do in fact react to the lowered brightness level and can't see as well in the dark either. whether it's indoors or outdoors, the darker it is, the harder it is for them to see or sense you. so there's no 'immersion breaking' there.

in fact I find the game to be a much more immersive experience when lighting changes are actually significant enough to effect how you play, how you determine your build/weapon/armor choices, and the moment to moment decisions that you make. out of the box, nighttime in Fallout 4 is very weak, very bright, and not at all imposing or oppressive, which is kind of something I missed from Fallout 3 and New Vegas. With the tweaks I've made, I find nighttime scenarios more challenging and satisfying in a lot of ways, and more stealth-viable which is a nice change of pace for my non-stealth oriented build. but again, to each his own. I understand not desiring a darker wasteland, I just personally prefer it, especially since I'm clearing out the whole game and I'm cheesing everything with ease on Survival difficulty with end-game equipment. And the changes to indoor environments that I posted - particularly the Light Tweaks/FogOut one-two-punch, really do a lot to improve the look of indoor areas. Even without Light Tweaks (if you'd rather have indoor environments that are pretty much uniformly lit regardless of context, which is fair), FogOut is pretty much essential for allowing you to see beyond like 25 feet in indoor environments, which does a lot to improve visibility and the sense of scale for larger places.

how'd you change the color of the UI in power armor? mines is yellowish, i dont like it. in the settings i only see an option for the regular ui and pipboy ui which are both set to a whiteish color

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/676/?

Question... I previously did all my mods via manual placement. I now use the nexus manager. Problem is, you have to have the .ini files NON read only for NMM to install/work properly. isnt that going to screw up certain .ini settings you have to edit for mods that dont use NMM?

Spinifex

Question... I previously did all my mods via manual placement. I now use the nexus manager. Problem is, you have to have the .ini files NON read only for NMM to install/work properly. isnt that going to screw up certain .ini settings you have to edit for mods that dont use NMM?

It's okay to set the files to non read-only for Nexus to install, you can put them back to read-only afterwards. (Though it might complain about them being read-only, you can just ignore the message and tell it to never warn you again)

The only thing Nexus adds to the ini is

Code:
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

After it's done that it doesn't need to touch the ini anymore.

Spyware

It's okay to set the files to non read-only for Nexus to install, you can put them back to read-only afterwards. (Though it might complain about them being read-only, you can just ignore the message and tell it to never warn you again)
It doesn't actually "complain". Installed it today and it just asked if I wanted to make them non read-only and I just had to click no since I had already fixed what it wants to do. It's fine with that.

Top Bottom