• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

N° 2048

uh no I have supply lines set up. You can't seem to store full items like shops and use them in other settlements. Only parts to build.

Yep, except mods. Mods can be stored at any workbench and used at any linked settlement.

It's really odd what Bethesda chose to include and not include in Supply Lines :/

psylah

I've been worrying about future patches that may remove some (beneficial) bugs, so I disabled automatic downloading and installing of patches on my PS4.

Fallout 4 doesn't seem to hit a server during launch, do you think this would work for when they do release an update?

I'm now at level 32 and don't have any clue what perk I should unlock. Except for the engineering perks, most of the others seem unnecessary.

Really? Everytime I level up it's so hard for me to decide wich perk to choose. There are so many I really want. If I could get 30 perks right now I still wouldn't be able to choose all I want.

I'm trying to maintain only one settlement, hometown Sanctuary Hills, for regular income from industrial water purifier and traders. I got rid of all ruined house but there are still houses with broken roof and so. Can't get rid of them. Is it possible to get rid of all and start building new?

I'm trying to maintain only one settlement, hometown Sanctuary Hills, for regular income from industrial water purifier and traders. I got rid of all ruined house but there are still houses with broken roof and so. Can't get rid of them. Is it possible to get rid of all and start building new?
Nope. If I were you I'd move my home base to The Castle. It's a much bigger tabula rasa (despite the radio tower) to work with and it's just an interesting location to begin with.

That or the Drive-In for the big, flat space.

N° 2048

Really? Everytime I level up it's so hard for me to decide wich perk to choose. There are so many I really want. If I could get 30 perks right now I still wouldn't be able to choose all I want.

Yea, it's really hard to focus on one build. So many amazing perks. I'm at level 26 now sitting on 3 points. This will pretty much refine my build.

psylah

If you're looking for space...

Have you been to Spetacle Island? That has a shit load of trees.

Along with trees, it has a massive amount of open space to build on.

Or, you can be like me, and build UP at the castle.

dqKRozB.jpg

Plenty of space IN THE SKY.

Replicant

I want Bethesda to get rid of the settlement building limitation that is currently imposed on the console peasants. It really sucks that I can't design something huge and functional in Red Rocket because its capability is already maxed out. I want to put some more furniture and later on, Power Armor racks.

I just wish that Spectacle Island had more even terrain. Though it's a fucking gigantic settlement.

I want Bethesda to get rid of the settlement building limitation that is currently imposed on the console peasants. It really sucks that I can't design something huge and functional in Red Rocket because its capability is already maxed out. I want to put some more furniture and later on, Power Armor racks.
Go into your workbench, take all of the junk, drop it on the ground, go into build mode and manually scrap each one. For every piece of junk you scrap you gain back one structure. So you can effectively make a settlement of unlimited size. Though too big and you might affect performance. So make backup saves before you go too big.

N° 2048

Consoles only have so much limit. PCs can have like insane video ram/memory.

psylah

I've been afraid of causing some sort of hardware fault, I mean, they put the limitation in there for a reason, right?

But my PS4 doesn't even spin up its fans any more than usual when running around my biggest building projects.

I will tell you that it will just not render some of the farther away objects at a pretty short distance though. Your buildings will materialize out of thin air.

I just wish that Spectacle Island had more even terrain. Though it's a fucking gigantic settlement.

Go into your workbench, take all of the junk, drop it on the ground, go into build mode and manually scrap each one. For every piece of junk you scrap you gain back one structure. So you can effectively make a settlement of unlimited size. Though too big and you might affect performance. So make backup saves before you go too big.

Junk is tough to deal with, a lot of tiny objects like chalk, glue, cigarettes are hard to spot and pick up. I ended up using all the mods that I've amassed. They are all in large boxes, and aren't too heavy.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

This is what I did. My 2nd story starts lower, though.

Replicant

Wow. I didn't know you can scrap items by dropping them on the ground. Thanks! Good to know. I will do this tomorrow since it's already 4am here and I have to work tomorrow. The game is obviously addictive but it could be so much better if it's improved here and there.

psylah

Wow. I didn't know you can scrap items by dropping them on the ground. Thanks! Good to know. I will do this tomorrow since it's already 4am here and I have to work tomorrow. The game is obviously addictive but it could be so much better if it's improved here and there.

Or you can just hit the "store" key and put it back into the workbench, it has the same result, the build-size bar goes down.

Try putting down some flooring first so you don't lose any of your junk in the terrain.

I tried that but I kept accidentally removing the floor beneath me, lol.

This is what I did. My 2nd story starts lower, though.

Oh man, I didn't think about that. I built it as high as I could while still having build space, but I could build a 2nd floor BENEATH my top floor.

stgvcAN.gif

This is what I mean. See the blur around the edges of the screen? That's always there now during a conversation, but only when the camera perspective switches. When I'm in first person, or when a bartering window pups up, it's gone.

4zcxZVA.jpg

Kinda annoying, but eh. Maybe something VATS related.

I actually started to notice a blur of sort during vertibird scenes in late missions. Not sure if it was me going crazy though.

alexbull_uk

I'd pretty much ignored settlements until after about 70hrs in but last night I spent about 4 hours building a mansion in Sanctuary and furnishing it.

So much fun. I'm going to build new homes all over the place and a market too. Definitely hooked me.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'd pretty much ignored settlements until after about 70hrs in but last night I spent about 4 hours building a mansion in Sanctuary and furnishing it.

So much fun. I'm going to build new homes all over the place and a market too. Definitely hooked me.

You should check out this video. Improved my settlements drastically.

I'm building out 3 settlements to start -

Sanctuary (Settlers/Farming)
Red Rocket (Companions only. My home base. No outside settlers.)
Castle - Minutemen / Preston home base

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CR8nOTDhh8

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
If any of you are going for Spectacle Island than be ready to defend it!

Around Lv.30 I decided I didn't like Spectacle Island anymore so I fast travel to it and as I look around getting ready to move my base of operations I get Attacked by Super Mutants!

"Fools!" I said as I cranked my Laser Musket 6 times and I aim for their head.I fire my shoot and I activate my Critical in VATS.The shoot goes off and it barely made a dent of damage. Crap....

It turns out I was fight 8 Super Mutants Overlords and 2 Super Mutants Hounds that were way above my level so after several reloads and deaths I had to end up rushing to my house take out my Fat Boy from Storage and rush to the 2nd floor to (for the first time) upgrade my Power Armor as much as possible and hop inside it to get rid of them all.

Hardest fight I had in the game so far.

You should check out this video. Improved my settlements drastically.

I'm building out 3 settlements to start -

Sanctuary (Settlers/Farming)
Red Rocket (Companions only. My home base. No outside settlers.)
Castle - Minutemen / Preston home base

Speaking of building...is there anyway to move big structures you've created as a whole object? I am going to have to expand my power armor garage again soon. I don't want to tear it all down just to build it back up again.

Edit: Question for you too Ant, you have all these settlements linked with the local leader perk correct? So you share the same junk materials for building, crafting, etc right?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Speaking of building...is there anyway to move big structures you've created as a whole object? I am going to have to expand my power armor garage again soon. I don't want to tear it all down just to build it back up again.
Press and hold the action Button when grabbing something (X on PS4,A on XB11 and E? on PC)

Xion_Stellar

Are you kidding me!? Fuck Bethesda for not explaining this shit. I've wasted so much time moving things one by one.
Yeah... No tutorials whatsoever is really going to kill the enjoyment of Settlement building for alot of casuals on the edge of giving it a try. It wasn't until I watched Eurogamer's video series on the subject when I finally took the whole thing more seriously.

Source:
https://youtu.be/MvgEA2LDNWM

https://youtu.be/8CR8nOTDhh8

Nope. If I were you I'd move my home base to The Castle. It's a much bigger tabula rasa (despite the radio tower) to work with and it's just an interesting location to begin with.

That or the Drive-In for the big, flat space.

Awesome. Haven't discovered the Castle or Spetacle Island yet. Not gonna waste resources in Sanctuary Hills anymore. Will focus on either one.

Holy shit guys. Go to Start->Help and there's a ton of info.

Only problem is you can't read it outside of game anywhere. It sucks. Why the fuck there isn't offline game manual?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Unlocking the settlement limit has changed my life. I have a right proper shanty town now, with a perimeter wall, food for 40, 5 massive structures and a couple of shops. Still need more caps to get the rest of those bad boys. The rest of the game is so dull that I'm pretty much pretending this is Minecraft: Fallout Edition at this point.

I really didn't think I'd even touch the build mode. Now it's all I turn the game on for. It's the little touches, like how satisfying it is stringing electrical wire around in subtle way to get all your junk powered on. Or standing on a ledge and looking down at your farmers busy at work and seeing your guards standing watch as provisioners amble in.

N° 2048

I was going to ask for this. I remember in Skyrim the help menu had a lot of information.

but but Bethesda doesn't hooold my hannnddd?

From their statement:
For some, the freedom the game offers can be overwhelming. We know the game throws a lot on you at once, so take your time. There are many moments of “How does this work? What do I do to survive?” and that’s how your character should be feeling as well. Those that push through should be able to look back at who they were when they stepped out of the Vault and say, “I made it. I understand this world now and it’s mine.”

R0ckman

So if you turn on BoS I heard Danse will no longer be available as a companion, so if he is at one of my settlements where does he go? After doing his personal quest
he can't be around the bortherhood so it's not like he has anywhere to go.

So if you turn on BoS I heard Danse will no longer be available as a companion, so if he is at one of my settlements where does he go? After doing his personal quest
he can't be around the bortherhood so it's not like he has anywhere to go.
At least in my game he stays at that outpost he runs off to once everyone ACTUAL SPOILER NOT A HILARIOUS JOKE
finds out he's a synth

This is what I mean. See the blur around the edges of the screen? That's always there now during a conversation, but only when the camera perspective switches. When I'm in first person, or when a bartering window pups up, it's gone.

4zcxZVA.jpg

Kinda annoying, but eh. Maybe something VATS related.

I had this happen to me also and all I could do to fix it was to load a previous save that didn't have the blur. I've read it's a known bug that happens when using a night vision scope.

Weebos

Banned
Man, I'm pretty torn on what ending to go with.

I feel like destroying the Institute is a bad move, there is so much to gain from it. But, siding with them is also really sketchy.

The building is fun, but I stopped playing my one save (lvl 60+) due to constant "defend settlement" misc quests showing up. I mean to the point of not even being able to do a couple of other quick quests without new defend warnings happening.

Literally unplayable :p

I'm level 53 with 149 hours of playtime. Interacted with all 4 factions and right now my objective puts me against one of the factions.

This is my favorite (bethesda) fallout. Despite its flaws. It's fun to play. And it's the most solid bethesda game in a while.
But the dialogues and quests are depressingly bad. So much potential wasted.
I hope bethesda puts some of the millions they profited to good use and hire some better writers and quest designers.

For me this is simultaneously their best playing game using this horrible engine, and worst RPG. I'm really torn.

Even worse because the plot of a few of the quests are actually remotely interesting. Not New Vegas interesting, but better than Fallout 3. But the dialogue choices are basically one of these

When I run out of raiders and super mutants to snipe from a rooftop a block away, I've figured I'd probably drop the game. But at the same time, because the shooting is actually decent, I've been able to get into the world more than I ever did with Fallout 3. So the whole package still feels like a half baked Bethesda game, only in a direction I vastly prefer.

mxgt

Banned
Short review after 70 hours of the game and finishing the main quest

Pro:
  • Looks good most of the time (on PC)
  • Gameplay is a large step up, shooting is generally satisfying and fun
  • The world is pretty well designed and I enjoyed exploring it
  • The
    Glowing Sea
    deserves a whole pro by itself
  • Some amusing and enjoyable side quests. Some, but not many. Actually, I can count them on one hand probably. Maybe this should be a con.
  • Range of companions
Con:
  • 2015 and Gamebryo. 2015 and this level of bugs and jank
  • Very little choice in regards to quest progression. There's a few fun ones here and there but they are so far and between. Probably my biggest disappointment.
  • Dialogue system is straight trash - vagueness, lack of skill checks, lack of choice, lack of options, etc. Just absolutely terrible.
  • Lack of a skill system feels like I can't build my character the way I want as well as previous games. Fuck your limiting perk system.
  • Main story is boring, uninspired and quite predictable.
  • Companion AI is abysmal. cmon beth.
  • Preston Garvey
  • Settlements have little point and I was consistently annoyed by needing to build shit to advance a request, especially with the awful and unexplained UI.
  • UI is pretty damn bad on PC. having to tweak FOV, mouse acceleration, etc through .ini files is just tiresome at this point. Also, having to limit framerate because of the gameplay problems over 60fps. Really?
  • Preston Garvey

Overall, the game was fun but is not fit to wipe the arse of New Vegas.

Random issue I am having in my second play through. I have my little water farm going, but once I build too much I stop getting purified water at my crafting table. Anyone know why this is? I was sitting at 40 water and getting 20+ bottles on a consistent basis. I dropped an industrial one in next putting me at 80 water and now I never have purified water at my bench? My settlements aren't linked up either.

Edit: Seems like this is a common and random bug. That sucks.

Could somebody post the guide on how to get all the endings again please? I forgot to bookmark it and I'm nearing to point where things start to branch out.

I've encountered blocked doorframes because of NPCs. Is it really that hard to program in the A.I not crowding around doors?

Which is a problem in their games dating back at least to Morrowind. I would know...I picked it up again after tiring of FO4, and couldn't leave the Mage's Guild in Vivec for about 5 minutes because of an NPC blocking the door.

It seems like the general verdict here is that FO4 is a pretty flawed game, which is still fun because the Bethesda formula is generally pretty fun, but full of many of the same flaws these games have had for a very long time. It's frustrating to think that the very fact that this game is successful as it is is probably just more fodder for these guys do keep doing what they do and not fix the many aspects of their games that need it.

Top Bottom