• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Is it even worth upgrading early levels of armor (like leather/raider pieces), or should you just wait until you've picked up high-quality equipment before getting into that stuff?

I'm afraid I'll upgrade a bunch of pieces of equipment, which will in turn drain me of half (or more) of my resources and result in me not being able to upgrade the better stuff that I'll inevitably stumble across somewhere down the line.

Don't worry about it just upgrade away since you stumble upon junk to upgrade your stuff with all the time and you can even buy junk if you need a specific part to upgrade and armor or weapon.

Moonstone

Is it even worth upgrading early levels of armor (like leather/raider pieces), or should you just wait until you've picked up high-quality equipment before getting into that stuff?

I'm afraid I'll upgrade a bunch of pieces of equipment, which will in turn drain me of half (or more) of my resources and result in me not being able to upgrade the better stuff that I'll inevitably stumble across somewhere down the line.

It probably depends on how you play. If you use power armor a lot, it won't be that important. For VATS/sneak build also. I have END1 right now and could clear all quests I've encountered on very hard. Level 28.

In general it's probably a good perk to have. If you run into health/armor problems - do it. If you do fine right now and there are better perks to get - take them. You usually get all stuff you need. If you are missing something mark it and visit all vendors. They will be reset all 24h. You'll get enough resources and stuff, if you manage it correctly.

Kamina777

Banned
Overall, the game was fun but is not fit to wipe the arse of New Vegas.
I can understand loving new vegas for what it did with dialogue using the skeleton of Bethesda's first fallout entry, (I felt it was less fun despite being more wordy and full of broken quests) but the Hyperbole is hilarious.

AwShucks

But, man, wouldn't it have been glorious if the game actually let you run with that story?

*SPOILERS* Like, if they let you
kidnap the Synth Shaun, take him back to your settlement, and work with the Minutemen or whoever to eliminate the evil Institute?

If only Bethesda's systems allowed for more open-ended narrative.

Agreed. Maybe not finding out the truth until the end when you have to hack into a computer or something. Too bad I saw zero way of opening that door so I knew something must have been wrong about my decision.

Replicant

So far the most useful companions' perk are:

Danse: player deals 20% more damage against irradiated ghouls, mutated humanoids and androids.

Piper: player gets double XP when discovering new places and successful convo. Quadruple if Piper is also with you after you get the perk?

Codsworth: player gets +10 Damage Resistance against robots' energy attacks.

MacReady: player gets 20% greater chance to hit an enemy's head in V.A.T.S.

The rest doesn't seem that appealing to me. Maybe Preston's? But I don't know if I can put up with his whining if I steal something when I can just get armorer Stat.

Don't worry about it just upgrade away since you stumble upon junk to upgrade your stuff with all the time and you can even buy junk if you need a specific part to upgrade and armor or weapon.

It probably depends on how you play. If you use power armor a lot, it won't be that important. For VATS/sneak build also. I have END1 right now and could clear all quests I've encountered on very hard. Level 28.

In general it's probably a good perk to have. If you run into health/armor problems - do it. If you do fine right now and there are better perks to get - take them. You usually get all stuff you need. If you are missing something mark it and visit all vendors. They will be reset all 24h. You'll get enough resources and stuff, if you manage it correctly.

Thanks for the info.

Another question... what's generally the best thing to do with duplicate weapons/armor that you come across? Scrap them at workbenches or sell them to vendors for caps?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Thanks for the info.

Another question... what's generally the best thing to do with duplicate weapons/armor that you come across? Scrap them at workbenches or sell them to vendors for caps?
Up to you really but both you won't get much for scrapping them and your definitely not going to have a hard time finding more equipment to sell or scrap.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So far the most useful companions' perk are:

Danse: player deals 20% more damage against irradiated ghouls, mutated humanoids and androids.

Piper: player gets double XP when discovering new places and successful convo. Quadruple if Piper is also with you after you get the perk?

Codsworth: player gets +10 Damage Resistance against robots' energy attacks.

MacReady: player gets 20% greater chance to hit an enemy's head in V.A.T.S.

The rest doesn't seem that appealing to me. Maybe Preston's? But I don't know if I can put up with his whining if I steal something when I can just get armorer Stat.

IIRC MacReady is bugged atm and it's actually 200%, it'll be patched though.

the ONE bug thats actually making me mad is that got damn 3rd person aiming bug.

When ever your character does a different animation while moving and a gun in your hand, your cursor would stop dead in its tracks for about a split second before moving again.

look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CcTnsIb4RA

I wanted to play my second playthrough in third person but guess THAT AINT AN OPTION!!!

can you imagine that every time your character slows down, speeds up, switch direction, the aim cursor just fucking STOPS and then continues going while in battle!?

Ive died because of this bug. So lame.

TLDR: Dont play in third person, shits wacky.

Kamina777

Banned
(small side quest) Kid
in a fridge
is up there with my favorite moments from this game. I was laughing when
I sold the kid to the creep for 200 caps and then killed the creep. Kid called me an asshole
. First time the dialogue really matched up with my intentions (
As I told the kid I was just tricking the guy for his money, which is what I hoped I could do
)
My favorite mini quest so far!

Sarcasm

Quick question about a quest I have to do for a robot settlement:

I have to go to a water treatment center and turn it on.
Do I have to go underwater at some point? How do I negate the rads? I don't want to spend like 4 perk points to get that aqua thing (not saying its bad).

(small side quest) Kid
in a fridge
is up there with my favorite moments from this game. I was laughing when
I sold the kid to the creep for 200 caps and then killed the creep. Kid called me an asshole
. First time the dialogue really matched up with my intentions (
As I told the kid I was just tricking the guy for his money, which is what I hoped I could do
)

lol that and the Constitution are probably my 2 favorite side quests from what I've seen. It was funny cause Piper was with me and mentioned
siding with the scavengers and I said F that noise.

The Silver Shroud quest line is pretty up there to, it's a shame you can't respond to every dialogue in the "Shroud" voice.

adamy

Banned
i broke into some random house in diamond city and it had a pond and boat in the house

like, a pond with a boat floating in it, directly in the middle of the house

da fuck?

adamy

Banned
do they have to currently be your companion to get their perk?

lol that and the Constitution are probably my 2 favorite side quests from what I've seen. It was funny cause Piper was with me and mentioned
siding with the scavengers and I said F that noise.

The Silver Shroud quest line is pretty up there to, it's a shame you can't respond to every dialogue in the "Shroud" voice.

my buddy told me something special happens if you respond as Shroud every single time you're given the option. anyone know if this is true?

Hazmat

Do I have to go underwater at some point? How do I negate the rads? I don't want to spend like 4 perk points to get that aqua thing (not saying its bad).

Nope, you don't need that perk, it won't be a problem.

Replicant

You won't need that perk for that mission but will need it for another mission. I personally got it and from there on, accidentally falling into water has been stress-free experience. Just as long as my character doesn't drink it. My character only drink Purified Water, thank you very much.

Moonstone

Thanks for the info.

Sell if you don't lack clothes and stuff. For weapons - if they have a good mod that you don't have or can't craft unmod the mod, put it in your main weapons and then sell the weapon.
You just want to have uniques and legendaries. Until you get them pimp one weapon to max.

I usually sell ammo to get coins. Don't have local leader perk (CH is also at 1). But water pumps will get you a lot of purified water, which sells for 6 caps. You can build a lot purified water stations in sanctuary at the river.

Weapons: You do wanna focus on one category at first. Took gunslinger for pistols.
My .44 does 129 right noe. If you like automatics choose commando, if you like rifles choose rifleman. Heavy gunner for heavy weapons.

You can level multiple gun perks later, but initialy it helps to focus on one category.

Kerned

Banned
If I were to start a pure stealth character, what would you recommend as the best stats/perks to start with? Is there an ideal stealth build out there?
Agility is key for stealth. You'll need Sneak, of course, to stay stealthy, as well as Mr. Sandman and Ninja for damage multipliers with silenced weapons. Rank up the rifle or handgun perks as you see fit for damage bonuses, then rank Gun Nut up enough to get suppressors on your firearm of choice, or just scavenge one out in the wild. If you like using rifles you could get the Sniper perk, but I find the manual aiming to be super easy as it is. You can hold your breath forever.

There is almost nothing I don't take out in one hit while sneaking, it's legitimately game-breaking. My silenced gauss rifle does preposterous sneaking damage. I know I should crank up the difficulty to compensate, but I am just sort of rushing to the end now. The Bloodborne expansion isn't going to play itself.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is the only way to find out what a settler is assigned to is to hope whatever they are attached to is in plain sight so it can glow? I'm loving the game but parts of it feel like they threw together some half assed system, said "it'll do" and moved on to something else.

Such a pain there's nothing else, or that you can't name these settlers, just no names walking around apparently doing something.

Kerned

Banned
Is the only way to find out what a settler is assigned to is to hope whatever they are attached to is in plain sight so it can glow? I'm loving the game but parts of it feel like they threw together some half assed system, said "it'll do" and moved on to something else.

Such a pain there's nothing else, or that you can't name these settlers, just no names walking around apparently doing something.
So much about the interface is completely half-assed, especially anything involving settlements.

Agility is key for stealth. You'll need Sneak, of course, to stay stealthy, as well as Mr. Sandman and Ninja for damage multipliers with silenced weapons. Rank up the rifle or handgun perks as you see fit for damage bonuses, then rank Gun Nut up enough to get suppressors on your firearm of choice, or just scavenge one out in the wild. If you like using rifles you could get the Sniper perk, but I find the manual aiming to be super easy as it is. You can hold your breath forever.

There is almost nothing I don't take out in one hit while sneaking, it's legitimately game-breaking. My silenced gauss rifle does preposterous sneaking damage. I know I should crank up the difficulty to compensate, but I am just sort of rushing to the end now. The Bloodborne expansion isn't going to play itself.

Cool, thanks very much

Hrm, seems more random than the other games, or maybe I had more charisma points.

Welp, might just roll with it or choke on some mentats.

It wasn't random in 3 and NV. You simply had to have your speech skill at or higher than the listed number for the choice, and you auto passed. They made it more like a pen and paper rpg really in this one in that your charisma increases your chance of success, but it's still a random chance to succeed.

Are the minutemen missions (where you set up a beacon or help settlers defend themselves) infinite just like the basic BoS missions?

You run out of settlements to set up, but the ones that have you going to fight off random raiders or such that threaten a settlement, are infinite

bomblord1

Banned
So there's some image albums that have popped up with underwater environments.
SuzE4y5-720x405.jpg

The article I seen it just explains you can use the aquaboy perk to negate the rads but how do you see underwater? Whenever I'm underwater I can't even see but a few feet in front of me and it's extremely dark.

do they have to currently be your companion to get their perk?

my buddy told me something special happens if you respond as Shroud every single time you're given the option. anyone know if this is true?

Haven't heard about that, does Kent give any upgrades for the suit though other than the one upgrade he gives?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Thanks for the info.

Up to you really but both you won't get much for scrapping them and your definitely not going to have a hard time finding more equipment to sell or scrap.
Unmodded weapons/armor produce fairly minimal scrap. Most unmodded armor just gives you a single unit of steel or leather.

If they have mods, and especially if you have the first or second level of the Scrapper perk, you can get a ton of materials.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So there's some image albums that have popped up with underwater environments.
SuzE4y5-720x405.jpg

The article I seen it just explains you can use the aquaboy perk to negate the rads but how do you see underwater? Whenever I'm underwater I can't even see but a few feet in front of me and it's extremely dark.

Go in power armor, like the picture :)

Jintor

i have like 67 power at the castle and it's still in the fucking red. all the settlers are complaining about beds even though the indicator says i'm good. i can't tell if i legitimately am drawing a shittonne of power because of the nodes everywhere since i need to route power lines around, or if it's just bugged like shit.

R0ckman

I was confused by the complaints about the RPG elements and didn't understand at first but now I get it. I guess I didn't get it because I always play characters that I can relate to. If my character is "evil" he has to have a reason or some kind of element that I can agree with. I won't play a character who talks his way out of every battle, if I think someone or a group needs to die, I'm going to bring on the battle to sentence them to death. I like the flexibility to do whatever I want in one play through if possible. If I don't think they need to die I'll talk my way out of it. I can't go through the game as an unlucky bum or completely weakling because I can't imagine myself or anyone being that 2D, people are a lot more dynamic. Maybe I'm not great at role playing, I typically will put myself in the role. What would I do if I was an assassin, more specifically, what would I do if my son was stolen and my wife killed in front of me etc.

There is a stupid stupid stupid bug associated with
Vault 75
where the quest doesn't trigger upon entering it and a keycard that doesn't spawn when it needs to so I can get further in there. I've barely had any other bugs occur in the game thus far but man is this one annoying.

Is there a way to heal people that are following you on a mission but aren't your companion? I took this scribe halfway across the city and now I'm in the basement of the gunners' lair and she keeps dying straight out of the elevator.

v0mitg0d

I've thought developing there. Seems like a good spot. I'm also thinking about building on Pinnacle Island as it seems to be the biggest settlement I've found yet.

It has a nice, large flat space. If you build there, don't forget to remove the radiation barrels from the middle pond so the radiation goes away. :)

Gator86

This was my exact style for my playthrough. I was one-shotting legendary Deathclaws on survivor. It is completely, thoroughly broken.

GhaleonEB

Is there a way to mount / display weapons on walls, something like in the location shown in the title screen? All I can find are shelves, but I'd like to park some weapons on display. Collected several I probably won't use but they're pretty unique and I was hoping for something like Skyrim's weapon mounting thingies for walls, but can't find any.

Is there a way to mount / display weapons on walls, something like in the location shown in the title screen? All I can find are shelves, but I'd like to park some weapons on display. Collected several I probably won't use but they're pretty unique and I was hoping for something like Skyrim's weapon mounting thingies for walls, but can't find any.
I havent found anything that will secure them to the wall or anything. I been just dropping them and placing them on the shelves.

Top Bottom