• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Replicant

I just saw a video of someone playing with Dogmeat as companion and it reminded me why I never took Dogmeat with me as companion. I don't have the heart to do it. He tends to jump around at the enemy and I'm afraid I'll accidentally shoot him during the heat of the fight. The game probably prevents you from hurting your companion but still, I couldn't help but cringe when I saw some blood sprayed when SS shot at a ghoul while Dogmeat was lunging at it.

Now that I'm playing with a low INT and PER character, I really wish there was a different way to open locks and terminals. I dunno, have a perk on the STR that allows you to smash open a lock, but the sound it makes alerts everyone in the vicinity to your presence.

Plus, it would fit for my character to smash things. She likes to smash things.

oh man, I wish I had recorded this last bit. my highlight of the game so far. I just completed the USS Constitution mission, and when the
ship started blasting off, I immediately jet-packed onto it, because why not. When I realized it was gonna crash I jumped off at the other side of the river, landed on the ground, and sprinted straight to the tower it crashed into, in enough time to see the debris rain down around me as I approached the elevator.

sappyday

It's annoying that the happiness of my settlement is dropping (and stuck in the low 70's) when I have way more than enough on everything. Even in the data page there is no exclamation point on anything specific.

And mostly all the settlers assigned to a station are rarely there.

Now that I'm playing with a low INT and PER character, I really wish there was a different way to open locks and terminals. I dunno, have a perk on the STR that allows you to smash open a lock, but the sound it makes alerts everyone in the vicinity to your presence.

Plus, it would fit for my character to smash things. She likes to smash things.
Can't Valentine open stuff for you?

Can you do that with junk or is it just weapons and armour?

I did try doing that but couldn't figure out how.

Just weapons and armor, I believe. Put them in your workshop. Take them and drop them then open workshop mode and scrap or store your weapons. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but going third person and timing your strong attack with melee weapons, unarmed and I think guns work too, can trigger specific attacks. I just noticed this after a weeks long of playing Fallout 4. That's crazy! Haven't got a suplex yet.

Also, I hate the bottom Southwest area of the map. If you like a challenge, hey more power to you. It's way too annoying for me lol.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit at that weather mod. Let me guess, it kills performance?

Can you do that with junk or is it just weapons and armour?

I did try doing that but couldn't figure out how.

Actually what you want to do is take a bunch of junk from the workshop and load up on it go somewhere where you can drop it that doesnt have lot of debris on the ground and just drop it all at once. After you've done so it will all be in a nice circle around you (hence the debris free area, makes highlighting it easier) then switch over to workshop mode. Just go in a circle and rescrap all the items. It will trick the settlement into thinking you're scrapping building materials and free up space. Be warned though it's tedious. Someone said you can store them as well but I'm not certain that's been working 100% for me in the castle on PS4 so I just scrap them. The Castle fills up SO quickly so I had to do it about 5 times now to keep building

@captjohnboyd, I see where you are coming from in terms of legendary loot/drops. It's frustrating when you kill these legendary enemies and all they ever drop for me is.....

A synth righ leg (btw synth armor set is pretty minimal but ugly, I can't rock synth armor on my bae right now) that reduces damage from super mutants/humans/robots/bugs.... All my armor has low defenses but they all have good legendary mods attached like plus 1 str/end. It's the reason why I haven't switched to any other regular and stronger armor since they aren't worth it to me.

Same goes for weapons. I'm trying really hard to get a better Gauss rifle (got a semi-okish additional 15 pts of fire damage one yesterday). Right now I'm rocking Spray 'n' Pray nicknamed Baboom, a badass 50% increased limb damage shotgun named Shawty v3, Overseer's Guardian named Kombat v3, and a .44 that deals 15 pts of fire damage named Tyrant v2. I'm in need of a stronger pistol since I switched to a sneaking character (sneak is op like in every other modern bethesda game lol. The melee is especially op since I can deal x10 more damage when sneak attacking. You can get up to 1k woths of damage with the proper weapon setup and it is GG. Speaking of that.... I need to sneak up on a Legendary Mythic Deathclaw and see if I can one-shot it lol or a Legendary Mirelurk Queen)

I just got a shotty that shoots another bullet/shells but I can't trade that with my Shawty v3! Most of my enemies just crumble as soon as I use her.

Also, I'm surprised that I haven't ran into a regular .50 cal sniper that isn't modded from a .308. Is it not possible to find one that isn't from a .308? I'm asking since .50 cal snipers are uh... pretty weak. The minimal increase in damage isn't worth it imo (even though I do have a Instigating .50 cal Suppressed Sniper).

Steejee

Three of Four endings complete, just now the Minutemen one finish up (which will be my post-game save to boot).

BoS Ending Spoilers:
That ending was rather disappointing, but I guess the BoS is pretty typically straightforward in modern Fallout. I wish the Prydwen had done something besides show up and sit there for their ending.
Trailing Prime was a liiiittle to similar to FO3, and the hike from the Airport to CIT was waaaay too long and dull, and it wasn't like I had to do anything during that walk. Also, rather strange the BoS just opted to nuke the fuck out of the Institute without trying to nab any technology first. Throwing fake Shaun at me on the way out annoyed me. I talked to him once and he yelled for Father the whole time, WTF do I care? Stuck to BoS doctrine and left him behind. The assault on Mass Fusion was a good fight though.

Railroad Spoilers:
Probably my favorite of the three I've finished so far, definitely come off as better than the other major factions. Offered some nuance
and stopping off to talk to Father during the liberation was worth the stopover. I opted to put a bullet in his head before heading off.

Institute
Spoilers:
Better than BoS ending but annoyed at the lack of nuance. It could have been a very deep ending with you taking over and trying to make amends for what the Institute has done. After all, while it had done great harm, it could have offered a lot to the Commonwealth.

As a fun bug I got during Nuclear Option with Minutemen:
I had just done the Railroad version of the ending and popped Father. Upon getting to the Minutemen assault on the Institute I tried to go have the same conversation, except Father was missing... found his body ragdolled in the corner, dead. Guess he decided to check out early.

The storylines on whole, while not great and weaker than NV, are satisfying world building on whole for me. In part that may have due to how much I meandered on the way through, and how I played all sides as long as I could. Still have a lot of side quests and settlement building to do, especially now that there's enough mods for Settlement building out to open it up some. Now if they'd only fix the stupid movement keybinding bug with building....

Actually what you want to do is take a bunch of junk from the workshop and load up on it go somewhere where you can drop it that doesnt have lot of debris on the ground and just drop it all at once. After you've done so it will all be in a nice circle around you (hence the debris free area, makes highlighting it easier) then switch over to workshop mode. Just go in a circle and rescrap all the items. It will trick the settlement into thinking you're scrapping building materials and free up space. Be warned though it's tedious. Someone said you can store them as well but I'm not certain that's been working 100% for me in the castle on PS4 so I just scrap them. The Castle fills up SO quickly so I had to do it about 5 times now to keep building

Thanks, i've put a lot of effort to the castle and just need some more space for that sweet 100 happiness.

@captjohnboyd, I see where you are coming from in terms of legendary loot/drops. It's frustrating when you kill these legendary enemies and all they ever drop for me is.....

A synth righ leg (btw synth armor set is pretty minimal but ugly, I can't rock synth armor on my bae right now) that reduces damage from super mutants/humans/robots/bugs.... All my armor has low defenses but they all have good legendary mods attached like plus 1 str/end. It's the reason why I haven't switched to any other regular and stronger armor since they aren't worth it to me.

Same goes for weapons. I'm trying really hard to get a better Gauss rifle (got a semi-okish additional 15 pts of fire damage one yesterday). Right now I'm rocking Spray 'n' Pray nicknamed Baboom, a badass 50% increased limb damage shotgun named Shawty v3, Overseer's Guardian named Kombat v3, and a .44 that deals 15 pts of fire damage named Tyrant v2. I'm in need of a stronger pistol since I switched to a sneaking character (sneak is op like in every other modern bethesda game lol. The melee is especially op since I can deal x10 more damage when sneak attacking. You can get up to 1k woths of damage with the proper weapon setup and it is GG. Speaking of that.... I need to sneak up on a Legendary Mythic Deathclaw and see if I can one-shot it lol or a Legendary Mirelurk Queen)

I just got a shotty that shoots another bullet/shells but I can't trade that with my Shawty v3! Most of my enemies just crumble as soon as I use her.

Also, I'm surprised that I haven't ran into a regular .50 cal sniper that isn't modded from a .308. Is it not possible to find one that isn't from a .308? I'm asking since .50 cal snipers are uh... pretty weak. The minimal increase in damage isn't worth it imo (even though I do have a Instigating .50 cal Suppressed Sniper).

I don't think there's any such thing as a "sniper rifle" as a separate weapon. All the sniper rifles you encounter in the game are other rifles modified to have a long/sniper barrel. I don't think any of the ballistic rifles take .50 cal by default, either. So I think the answer to your question is that there are no native .50 cal sniper rifles.

I also increased the difficulty to Hard a few days ago, and feel like the quality of legendary drops are worse. Most of the weapons I'm using now were either story weapons, ones I bought off a vendor, or ones I collected from before I moved up in difficulty. I've had better luck with armor, though; one new arm piece with +1 STR/END, which I NEED for carrying things.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "sniper rifle" as a separate weapon. All the sniper rifles you encounter in the game are other rifles modified to have a long/sniper barrel. I don't think any of the ballistic rifles take .50 cal by default, either. So I think the answer to your question is that there are no native .50 cal sniper rifles.

I also increased the difficulty to Hard a few days ago, and feel like the quality of legendary drops are worse. Most of the weapons I'm using now were either story weapons, ones I bought off a vendor, or ones I collected from before I moved up in difficulty. I've had better luck with armor, though; one new arm piece with +1 STR/END, which I NEED for carrying things.

Man.... That sucks.

Yea, I can resonate with that. Some of my weapons are from vendors. I really, really want to find a exploding minigun since I have so many bullets for a minigun. I did kill a certain npc and received a fire minigun. Haven't tested it out yet, will try later today.

My weapons are fine. I guess I just want better armor and better looking armor. Fashion borne and Fashion souls have conditioned me into making my characters look good instead of having the best defenses lol5 despite my character not looking good right now.

What's everyone rocking underneath all your armor? I still have my road leathers since I haven't found anything better. Are military fatigues wearable with armor?

What's everyone rocking underneath all your armor? I still have my road leathers since I haven't found anything better. Are military fatigues wearable with armor?

They are, and they can be upgraded to near-OP levels if you do enough Railroad quests to unlock the ballistic weave. Pretty sure Mark V upgrades its defense levels to 110/110 and that's without taking the rest of your armor into account.

I wear Power Armor 24/7 (X-01 MK4) so I just wear the Minuteman General armor, hat, and black rimmed glasses for the Charisma boost when in dialog.

Where is the Caravan stand in the building menu? I built one on my previous character but I can't find it on this one. Starlight Drive-in needs some caravans.

Replicant

I find the default Vault 111 jump suit to be the best looking on my character. It makes him look like Captain America. The other shirts/suits make him look like some peasant beggar or looking good but weak in protection due to no options to upgrade the suit's protective ability or use armour on top of it. I've been hoping to find a great suit that I can use protection on top of it or I can upgrade but I haven't had much luck so far.

They are, and they can be upgraded to near-OP levels if you do enough Railroad quests to unlock the ballistic weave. Pretty sure Mark V upgrades its defense levels to 110/110 and that's without taking the rest of your armor into account.

Shiiit, looks like I need to start the railroad quests then. It might be time to bid adieu to my road leathers :( They look good on my bae, hopefully the fatigues will make my character even sexier lol.

Man.... I think next playthrough will be a super cheated and glitched run so that he can be this super op power armor wearing killer or lover.

So far, Abby, has been a gray moral, scarlet-haired Goddess. Killing people one time and sparing them the next time. She's cool, funny, sarcastic, but if you tick her off you had better be prepared for death. An assassin Goddess that just discovered that she was bred for the shadows that's looking for her kidnapped son.

I just need the mod to come out so that unkillable characters can be killed. Please Bethesda, can you get rid of that next time? It's annoying lol. I tried to kill everyone in Vault 81 since they are so sheltered but a few of them are unkillable besides the kids (which also needs the mod to kill them).

KevinG

At what point am I going too far in the
Underground Undercover
mission? I'm supposed to give that
synth
a day. What if I don't meet him a day later?

thenexus6

I am progressing through the story now,
recently got to the Institute and done a few missions there. I obviously have to pick a faction to side with, for my first play through what factor do people recommend me going with?

I am going to play through the game again.

I'm confused on the minutemen quests.

I did everything before going to the institute, gave the chip from the institute to the tech guy but nothing has happened since? How do I move on with their quest? In other words, I completed 'the inside job' but am now confused as to what I should do.

I've seen bolt-action rifles in .50 drop. They're up-modded .308's but they do drop.

When you compare the high-end bolt action rifles to the semi-auto counterparts, you're trading a decent fire rate for maybe 25% more accuracy, which you don't really need outside of VATS.

You can mod a combat rifle to .308, so that's passable decent, but with .50, there's no real point... especially compared to a Gauss rifle.

Fallout 4 doesn't have an equivalent to New Vegas' anti-material rifle.

I have crap for legendaries. Every single legendary is inevitably a melee weapon or a left leg that doesn't do anything useful.

One of my more useful legendaries is a plasma-infused combat rifle I down-converted to .32. It's perfect for killing miscellaneous enemies I don't want to waste good ammo on.

Steejee

My Legendary curse is synth legs with % damage reductions against specific creatures. When I do get Leather like I want, it's inevitably a terrible mod.

johnsmith

remember me
I'm confused on the minutemen quests.

I did everything before going to the institute, gave the chip from the institute to the tech guy but nothing has happened since? How do I move on with their quest? In other words, I completed 'the inside job' but am now confused as to what I should do.
Yeah it's really stupid. You basically need to get yourself kicked out
of the institute
and it'll automatically give you the next minuteman quest. There's no other way.

N° 2048

There are multiple chances to do it through speech options, but the quickest way is to kill people.
I blew Shaun's brains out

OH MMYY GOOD THIS IS THE BEST SPOILER I HAVE EVER ACCIDENTALLY READ!

That means that spoiler I read is not true or the story is different than I thought, haha. That worked out well :p

Why is everyone saying Sneak is broken? I keep getting spotted, even with 3 points invested in the perk. It's killing my urge to continue playing my melee character.

Ok, I know the brotherhood of steel fetch quests do not effect anything except caps/money/exp, but what about other "endless" quests like the "settlement in trouble" or "kidnapped" quests for minuteman. jesus christ they are annoying and just keep coming. like I purposefully never tell Preston Garvey that they are complete so I wont have another in my queue but after a long time it just automatically makes it like you talked to him. then if you go by castle, Bam, another one.

do these work the same way as the brotherhood of steel ones? or will they be effect your settlements.

also I think railroad has one too like this?

Wingus

The continuous fetch quests / settlement in trouble / ghoul trouble quests are annoying. I also tended not to speak to Garvey as well after some of them so he wouldn't queue another one up. Avoided most of them during the end game too.

Anyways, will be doing a 2nd playthrough during the holidays after I'm done with Xenoblade Chronicles X :)

Ok, I know the brotherhood of steel fetch quests do not effect anything except caps/money/exp, but what about other "endless" quests like the "settlement in trouble" or "kidnapped" quests for minuteman. jesus christ they are annoying and just keep coming. like I purposefully never tell Preston Garvey that they are complete so I wont have another in my queue but after a long time it just automatically makes it like you talked to him. then if you go by castle, Bam, another one.

do these work the same way as the brotherhood of steel ones? or will they be effect your settlements.

also I think railroad has one too like this?

The only ones that could matter is if you invest in building up settlements, because they will get randomly attacked forever and you need to defend or you lose settlers. Course nothing major happens there unless you really care about your settlements, its kind of an extra chore you can ignore really.

Watevaman

I wish I was recording when I tested my Gatling Laser on the Brahmin in Sanctuary. He must've flown at least half a mile away when he died.

Haven't got around to playing this yet but am about to pick it up and give it a go. Before diving in, I wanted to get an opinion or two so I can set my expectations going in. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've tried to remain on something of a media blackout, so it'll be news to me.

Basically, I understand the complaints with the performance and visuals, lack of innovation, or dumbing down of role-playing elements. That said, my favorite thing about Fallout 3 was roaming the wasteland and happening upon random settlements of people or other points of interest, with no obvious "gamey" indication of, "Hey, player! Go here and check THIS out!" It was a game that rewarded curiosity and exploration with the deliciously unexpected. Assuming I can look past all of the aforementioned issues, will I get something similar to what I enjoyed so much about Fallout 3?

N° 2048

My plan is to just unravel this beast that is the vanilla Fallout 4 experience 100%.
Finish all endings, platinum it and collect everything.

Then I mod the shit out of the PC version :D

Watevaman

Haven't got around to playing this yet but am about to pick it up and give it a go. Before diving in, I wanted to get an opinion or two so I can set my expectations going in. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I've tried to remain on something of a media blackout, so it'll be news to me.

Basically, I understand the complaints with the performance and visuals, lack of innovation, or dumbing down of role-playing elements. That said, my favorite thing about Fallout 3 was roaming the wasteland and happening upon random settlements of people or other points of interest, with no obvious "gamey" indication of, "Hey, player! Go here and check THIS out!" It was a game that rewarded curiosity and exploration with the deliciously unexpected. Assuming I can look past all of the aforementioned issues, will I get something similar to what I enjoyed so much about Fallout 3?

Yes, it's equivalent in terms of exploration to FO3, if not more so.

psylah

I wish I was recording when I tested my Gatling Laser on the Brahmin in Sanctuary. He must've flown at least half a mile away when he died.

I was dead-set on getting one of those until I saw it uses fusion cores, which I have PLENTY of, but I also have an army of power armor that I use all the time.

Wingus

My plan is to just unravel this beast that is the vanilla Fallout 4 experience 100%.
Finish all endings, platinum it and collect everything.

Then I mod the shit out of the PC version :D

Same plan, though I've platinum'd it now. By the time the PC version gets discounted during a sale, I plan to pick it up then. Loads of great mods should be out by then ^_^

Watevaman

I was dead-set on getting one of those until I saw it uses fusion cores, which I have PLENTY of, but I also have an army of power armor that I use all the time.

I only have like 70 fusion cores atm, but I think each full one is 500 rounds for the Gatling Laser, so if you combine that with the perk that makes them last twice as long, you'd essentially be good for a very long time.

Is the jetpack attachment for power armor interchangeable between all of the different models of armor?

Also, if I put a jetpack on a suit of power armor that my companion wars will they be able to utilize it as well?

Why is everyone saying Sneak is broken? I keep getting spotted, even with 3 points invested in the perk. It's killing my urge to continue playing my melee character.

Do you have a companion with you? The enemy can still see and hear them, so they kind of get in the way of stealth.

If you stealth into a building by yourself, your basically invisible as long as you use melee or a silenced weapon.

Lakitu

st5fu
So what are the purposes of Power Conduits? Why can't I attach wires from them to switches so I can use light bulbs? Really annoying... I'm trying to light up my house and the most I can do is use one light bulb.

Top Bottom